Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11777
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:49 pm

Geekolover wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
Geekolover wrote:30k per year faculty scholarship as long as I have a 3.0! I guess GGU really wants me. =)

Read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/business/law-school-grants.html?pagewanted=all


Thanks, I really appreciate this information. I'm still waiting on decisions from about 6 law schools so just because they gave me the scholarship doesn't mean I'm going. Fortunately, I have parents who will pay for where ever I decide to go. Good luck to everyone!

Better not go around telling everyone this in school. Everyone will hate you.

Geekolover
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Geekolover » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 am

Jaytray wrote:
Geekolover wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
Geekolover wrote:30k per year faculty scholarship as long as I have a 3.0! I guess GGU really wants me. =)

Read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/business/law-school-grants.html?pagewanted=all


Thanks, I really appreciate this information. I'm still waiting on decisions from about 6 law schools so just because they gave me the scholarship doesn't mean I'm going. Fortunately, I have parents who will pay for where ever I decide to go. Good luck to everyone!


Really? You said this?


I don't see what the problem is?... I'm lucky to have no student loans and I was just saying that scholarships aren't going to make a decision for me.

msu1077
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby msu1077 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 am

Geekolover wrote:I don't see what the problem is?... I'm lucky to have no student loans and I was just saying that scholarships aren't going to make a decision for me.

:roll:

CaptAdams
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:12 am

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby CaptAdams » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:59 am

Is it crazy that I'm actually considering these guys after being accepted into the Honors Lawyering Program? I'm a public interest guy and frankly, it seems perfect...

msu1077
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby msu1077 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:22 pm

CaptAdams wrote:Is it crazy that I'm actually considering these guys after being accepted into the Honors Lawyering Program? I'm a public interest guy and frankly, it seems perfect...

FYI. I'm pretty sure they accept everyone who applies to the HLP, but there are stipulations to stay in it for the 2nd year, which is when the program actually starts. It does seem like an interesting program though.

deebo12
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby deebo12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Anyone have a rough estimate of what % of students will make the cut above 3.0?

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby aekea » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:21 pm

deebo12 wrote:Anyone have a rough estimate of what % of students will make the cut above 3.0?

According to the New York Times article posted above, approximately the top 1/3 of the class gets above a 3.0, so roughly 33%.

deebo12
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby deebo12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Are the part time and full time programs separate, in terms of the student scholarship pool?

Looking here http://www.ggu.edu/school_of_law/law_ad ... ancial_aid

They admitted 47 into P/T and gave 26% scholarships, but admitted 182 into F/T and gave 41% scholarships. Is it 1/3rd of the full time students, or 1/3 of the total amount? 1/3rd seems more appropriate to 182 students, roughly half of which have aide.

Just wonder if that changes the dynamic at all.

User avatar
atcushman
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby atcushman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Just to put my 2 cents into the conversation...I have seen it many times on this sight...Do not go to a law school that you would not be happy paying full tuition for...You cant be sure you will keep the money and you def cant be sure that you will be able to transfer.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby aekea » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:25 pm

deebo12 wrote:Are the part time and full time programs separate, in terms of the student scholarship pool?

Looking here http://www.ggu.edu/school_of_law/law_ad ... ancial_aid

They admitted 47 into P/T and gave 26% scholarships, but admitted 182 into F/T and gave 41% scholarships. Is it 1/3rd of the full time students, or 1/3 of the total amount? 1/3rd seems more appropriate to 182 students, roughly half of which have aide.

Just wonder if that changes the dynamic at all.

I'm not sure I'm following your thought process here. I don't think the law school grade distribution of the students is related to the scholarships awarded upon admission. While the article doesn't specify P/T or F/T, I assume that the grade distributions for both programs are quite similar because they are determined by the school's grading curve. So, that would mean (assuming the 1/3 figure quoted is accurate) that all of the above are true; about 1/3 of P/T students get above a 3.0; about 1/3 of F/T students get about a 3.0; and overall, about 1/3 of all students enrolled at Golden Gate get a 3.0 or higher. But if you could elaborate on what you mean that might help. I'm not sure I'm answering your question...

deebo12
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby deebo12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:41 pm

aekea wrote:
deebo12 wrote:Are the part time and full time programs separate, in terms of the student scholarship pool?

Looking here http://www.ggu.edu/school_of_law/law_ad ... ancial_aid

They admitted 47 into P/T and gave 26% scholarships, but admitted 182 into F/T and gave 41% scholarships. Is it 1/3rd of the full time students, or 1/3 of the total amount? 1/3rd seems more appropriate to 182 students, roughly half of which have aide.

Just wonder if that changes the dynamic at all.

I'm not sure I'm following your thought process here. I don't think the law school grade distribution of the students is related to the scholarships awarded upon admission. While the article doesn't specify P/T or F/T, I assume that the grade distributions for both programs are quite similar because they are determined by the school's grading curve. So, that would mean (assuming the 1/3 figure quoted is accurate) that all of the above are true; about 1/3 of P/T students get above a 3.0; about 1/3 of F/T students get about a 3.0; and overall, about 1/3 of all students enrolled at Golden Gate get a 3.0 or higher. But if you could elaborate on what you mean that might help. I'm not sure I'm answering your question...


To clarify, I am asking if the same grade distribution applies to both full and part time, or if they have their own grade distributions, and if the curve of the school is any different depending on which program you're in.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby aekea » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:02 pm

deebo12 wrote:
To clarify, I am asking if the same grade distribution applies to both full and part time, or if they have their own grade distributions, and if the curve of the school is any different depending on which program you're in.

They should be pretty similar. There are actually two curves, one is for first-year classes and the other for 2L and 3L classes, determined by what the course is, not when you actually take it (P/T students may take "first-year" classes in their second year of law school as it is a 4, not 3 year program). The curve for first-year classes is a bit tougher than that for 2L and 3L classes which is partly why many students do the worst, grade-wise, in their first year. You're graded against the other students in a specific class, so P/T students would be graded exclusively against other P/T students and same for F/T. Overall then, in the first year P/T and F/T students should have a similar curve, in the second year F/T students will have a slightly easier curve than second year P/T students who are still taking some of the tougher 1L classes, and it should even out again for 3Ls and 3rd and 4th year P/T students. What's most important though, is the 1L curve, because it's the least forgiving, and therefore the biggest obstacle to maintaining a scholarship. The challenge should be equally difficult for P/T and F/T students.

bulldoglaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:25 am

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby bulldoglaw » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:08 pm

I was accepted via snail mail on Monday, with a full-tuition Dean's Scholarship. Stipulation of 3.0 every year to keep the scholarship. When it came in the mail it seemed really great, but after reading about Golden Gate on this forum and in some news articles, I don't think I'll be attending unless I have no other option...

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:33 pm

bulldoglaw wrote:I was accepted via snail mail on Monday, with a full-tuition Dean's Scholarship. Stipulation of 3.0 every year to keep the scholarship. When it came in the mail it seemed really great, but after reading about Golden Gate on this forum and in some news articles, I don't think I'll be attending unless I have no other option...

Good for you. I think sometimes people on TLS take what's "common knowledge" here to be common to all prospective law students, forgetting that TLS is far from a representative sample. A lot of people coming out of UG see a 3.0 stip on a scholarship and shrug it off. GGU relies on this, to a certain extent. After all, that number seems easily attainable to someone fresh from UG, ignorant of their curve. It is important to make a fully-informed decision.

User avatar
LWOP
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby LWOP » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 pm

descision rendered on SC... waiting for snail mail

lenka-penka
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby lenka-penka » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:01 pm

LWOP wrote:descision rendered on SC... waiting for snail mail


same here

lenka-penka
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby lenka-penka » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:18 pm

In with 20 000

User avatar
Titleist
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Titleist » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:06 pm

How do I find their status tracker?

User avatar
LWOP
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby LWOP » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:37 pm

UNTravis wrote:How do I find their status tracker?

its on their admissions page you have to cut and paste the URL tho... no hyperlink

mchan
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby mchan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:43 pm

My status says Decision Rendered as of 2/14/12, but deposit amounts are not shown. Do acceptances have DR and deposits amounts shown?

User avatar
LWOP
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby LWOP » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 pm

mchan wrote:My status says Decision Rendered as of 2/14/12, but deposit amounts are not shown. Do acceptances have DR and deposits amounts shown?

mine does not. My buddy is committed to USD and his does not still

User avatar
3rdDan
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby 3rdDan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:44 am

I was accepted, got my packet in yesterday. No scholarship offer with it, does it come later?
Good luck to everyone else.

bulldoglaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:25 am

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby bulldoglaw » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:09 pm

3rdDan wrote:I was accepted, got my packet in yesterday. No scholarship offer with it, does it come later?
Good luck to everyone else.


My acceptance letter and full-tuition scholarship came in the same packet, via snail mail.

User avatar
LWOP
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby LWOP » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:25 pm

in by snail mail, 8000 scholarship

lenka-penka
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Golden Gate University (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby lenka-penka » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:39 pm

LWOP wrote:in by snail mail, 8000 scholarship


Congrats =)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”