Pepperdine 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
stacia137
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby stacia137 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:46 pm

itsmelissaaa wrote:Accepted! w/ 22,000/year
(3.53, 165)

Congrats!

davidw605
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby davidw605 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Decision rendered on 1/18 and received acceptance via mail today, 1/24. In with $44,000/year (165/3.98), but with the top 1/3 stipulation. I also received $39,000/year from San Diego with only a 2.0 stipulation. Does anyone have any insight as to which option is better and if the top 1/3 issue often comes back to bite students?

JonnyBart
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby JonnyBart » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:51 pm

davidw605 wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to which option is better and if the top 1/3 issue often comes back to bite students?


Pepperdine themselves say that they give out merit aid to more than 33% of the class, so some of the scholarships inherently won't be renewed. I guess it all comes down to how confident you are to grade in the top 33% of your fellow classmates and how much extra stress you want to put yourself under.

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby utilitarianjac » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:49 pm

JonnyBart wrote:
davidw605 wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to which option is better and if the top 1/3 issue often comes back to bite students?


Pepperdine themselves say that they give out merit aid to more than 33% of the class, so some of the scholarships inherently won't be renewed. I guess it all comes down to how confident you are to grade in the top 33% of your fellow classmates and how much extra stress you want to put yourself under.


Speaking from experience, the top 1/3 stipulation is some source of stress in your first year. Law school is entirely new, and you have no clue where you stand until grades come out after your first semester. Fortunately, the school does not reevaluate scholarships every semester. It's once a year. That helps.

Also, if you lose your initial scholarship, there are other scholarships available to help make up the difference. You can apply for some of these separately, and there is one application that covers a bunch all at once. I don't know how the process works exactly, but that should ease some of the stress.

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby onedavetoomany » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:37 am

How long does it usually take to go complete? I received the acknowledgement e-mail on 1/15, but I'm stuck at Incomplete.

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby utilitarianjac » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:How long does it usually take to go complete? I received the acknowledgement e-mail on 1/15, but I'm stuck at Incomplete.


This is a very busy time for the office, but I think you should be complete soon.

User avatar
corvid
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:53 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby corvid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:27 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:How long does it usually take to go complete? I received the acknowledgement e-mail on 1/15, but I'm stuck at Incomplete.

I am in the same boat...1/11 status, and all that is unchecked is the CAS processing. So it seems they have everything, but haven't got to "process" my file?

RoseMVP
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:45 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby RoseMVP » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:25 pm

corvid wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:How long does it usually take to go complete? I received the acknowledgement e-mail on 1/15, but I'm stuck at Incomplete.

I am in the same boat...1/11 status, and all that is unchecked is the CAS processing. So it seems they have everything, but haven't got to "process" my file?


I sent in my application ~12/20 and it didn't go complete until 1/20.

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby onedavetoomany » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:51 pm

RoseMVP wrote:
corvid wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:How long does it usually take to go complete? I received the acknowledgement e-mail on 1/15, but I'm stuck at Incomplete.

I am in the same boat...1/11 status, and all that is unchecked is the CAS processing. So it seems they have everything, but haven't got to "process" my file?


I sent in my application ~12/20 and it didn't go complete until 1/20.


Wow. That timeline would put me at 2/15 :shock:

User avatar
corvid
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:53 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby corvid » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:48 pm

complete, woo

now to get to review status...

RoseMVP
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:45 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby RoseMVP » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:12 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:
RoseMVP wrote:
corvid wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:How long does it usually take to go complete? I received the acknowledgement e-mail on 1/15, but I'm stuck at Incomplete.

I am in the same boat...1/11 status, and all that is unchecked is the CAS processing. So it seems they have everything, but haven't got to "process" my file?


I sent in my application ~12/20 and it didn't go complete until 1/20.


Wow. That timeline would put me at 2/15 :shock:



Haha well I emailed them, as suggested by another TLS member, because of the ~8 schools I applied to on 12/20 they were the only ones not to go complete by 1/6. Coincidentally, my file went complete the next day.

bingbang1025
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby bingbang1025 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:40 pm

In w/22K year, guaranteed first year and top 1/3 stipulations the 2nd and 3rd year. Does 22k even cover half of the total expense I'll be incurring each year?

bulldoglaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:25 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby bulldoglaw » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Went complete 12/15, still nothing.

D1Swimmer
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby D1Swimmer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Decision rendered 01/30. I live in Louisiana, so are we thinking it'll take about a week for the decision to reach me?

D1Swimmer
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby D1Swimmer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:17 pm

In 02/03!!!!! 25k per year, as long as I stay top 1/3
I'm so amazingly happy right now!!
Best of luck to everyone!! :D

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby utilitarianjac » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:54 pm

D1Swimmer wrote:In 02/03!!!!! 25k per year, as long as I stay top 1/3
I'm so amazingly happy right now!!
Best of luck to everyone!! :D



That sounds excellent. Congratulations!

User avatar
kokorozukai
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby kokorozukai » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:06 pm

My pepperdine status was first complete on 1/24. The date just changed to 2/3 but still just complete. Does anyone know what this means?
Last edited by kokorozukai on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoseMVP
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:45 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby RoseMVP » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:29 pm

D1Swimmer wrote:Decision rendered 01/30. I live in Louisiana, so are we thinking it'll take about a week for the decision to reach me?


Did you happen to hear back yet? I got a decision rendered 1/30 and still no word (I'm from MA).

D1Swimmer
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby D1Swimmer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 pm

RoseMVP wrote:
D1Swimmer wrote:Decision rendered 01/30. I live in Louisiana, so are we thinking it'll take about a week for the decision to reach me?


Did you happen to hear back yet? I got a decision rendered 1/30 and still no word (I'm from MA).



Yes I just got my packet of acceptance today! I would say you're bound to get it soon, pepperdine usually isn't too slow as far as I can tell from everyone else. I would guess either tomorrow or very early next week. Good luck!!! I'll hope for an acceptance for you!

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby onedavetoomany » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 pm

kokorozukai wrote:My pepperdine status was first complete on 1/24. The date just changed to 2/3 but still just complete. Does anyone know what this means?


+1

mine was complete 1/30 and then updated to 2/3 this afternoon.

bingbang1025
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby bingbang1025 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:04 pm

How do Pepperdine Law's job prospects compare to Loyola's for LA/OC hiring? I've heard that Loyola kids do better than Pepp despite Pepp having a better ranking. True?

tjos
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby tjos » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:41 am

In with 15,000/yr. If I can get the scholarship raised at all this is probably where I'm headed.

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44 am

Is anyone else stuck on complete 12/15?!!

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby 1ferret! » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:51 am

bingbang1025 wrote:How do Pepperdine Law's job prospects compare to Loyola's for LA/OC hiring? I've heard that Loyola kids do better than Pepp despite Pepp having a better ranking. True?


According to U.S. News (for whatever weight you give the stats):
Pepperdine employed at graduation: 59.3%
Loyola employed at graduation: 63.4%

Pepperdine July 2011 bar passage: 157/182 86%
Loyola July 2011 bar passage: 281/335 84%

If we assume (unfounded) that all those who were employed at graduation also passed the California bar, then roughly 178 people from Loyola both secured employment at the time of graduation and were able to work that job upon being sworn in. Same number for Pepperdine is roughly 93 people. Loyola's class size is roughly 400 students. Pepperdine's is roughly 200 students. So, if we assume that everyone is trying to practice in CA (not true) and that class size remains constant (also unlikely) in addition to bar passage rates staying the same (doesn't happen, but tends to vary little), then 46.5% of a given class of Pepperdine students will both pass the bar and have a job at the time of graduation in CA compared to 44.5% of Loyola students.

Pepperdine is better (although seemingly insignificantly), on a percentage basis better for securing employment in CA if we use all the above assumptions. The fact remains however that Loyola will have 85 more graduates than Pepperdine who meet this criteria (double the class size after all).


Same number crunch for UCLA is 227 and 68.3%

User avatar
BlazersTime
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby BlazersTime » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:32 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Is anyone else stuck on complete 12/15?!!


I'm also stuck complete at 12/15...when will it end?!?!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], itshandled, mcvizz, mlp12, smartmoon, Smc1994, stratton_oakmont, VapidP, zeglo and 21 guests