Pepperdine 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
1ferret!

Re: Pepperdine 2015

Postby 1ferret! » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:13 am

favrefire4 wrote:
sinisterkid wrote:In 8) . 3.6/161

Congrats! When did you go DR?

Curious....

sinisterkid

Postby sinisterkid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:59 am

1ferret! wrote:
favrefire4 wrote:

Curious....

?? I replied directly after the question -- went DR on 2/28.

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 pm

1ferret! wrote:
utilitarianjac wrote:For those who are interested, Dean Tacha sent an email to students this afternoon to alert us to changes that will take place prior to this Fall.

Vice Dean Perrin is leaving Pepperdine to assume the role of President at Lubbock Christian. Professor Rick Cupp is taking over as Vice Dean. His position will swallow up the role of the Academic Dean. As a result of the change, Professors Chase, Gash, and Schultz will be returning to the classroom.

While I hate to see Dean Perrin leave (he is truly awesome), I think that Pepperdine will fare well with these changes. It is exciting that fewer professors are having to give up classes for administrative duties.

Furthermore, Pepperdine is currently engaged in a discussion over changes to the curriculum. While I have no idea how any of this will turn out, some of the proposed changes sound great. I, for one, would love to see the number of required courses reduced.

I would respectfully disagree. The required courses currently give graduating students an opportunity to do better on the California bar. Federal Tax is the only required class that I believe should be disposed of.

As a joint degree student, 62 of my 82 law credits come from required courses. This strikes me as a bit excessive. Forcing students to take courses that prepare them for the bar has served Pepperdine well. Our bar passage results are among the best in the state. However, as Pepperdine has moved up in the rankings, it has attracted brighter students, students who should be able to make wise decisions on their own. A quick review of schools ranked higher than Pepperdine will reveal that very few have such a heavy required course load. As you said, the required courses help prepare students for the CA bar. As Pepperdine continues to move up in the ranks, it is less a regional school, and its curriculum should reflect that fact. There are many of us who do not intend to take the CA bar. I don't intend to take the bar at all.

To answer TrojanHopeful, among the proposed changes (beyond reducing the required course load) is the possibility of giving 1Ls an elective. B/c that could affect the curve, the elective might be pass/fail. One of my professors talked about adding a course in Legislation and making the Jurisprudence course more available. I've only heard snippets here and there, but I'm glad the faculty are taking the time to examine things. Since I'm graduating at the end of this semester, it won't really affect me directly, but I obviously have an interest in the school maintaining and improving its position in the future.

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:
1ferret! wrote:
utilitarianjac wrote:For those who are interested, Dean Tacha sent an email to students this afternoon to alert us to changes that will take place prior to this Fall.

Vice Dean Perrin is leaving Pepperdine to assume the role of President at Lubbock Christian. Professor Rick Cupp is taking over as Vice Dean. His position will swallow up the role of the Academic Dean. As a result of the change, Professors Chase, Gash, and Schultz will be returning to the classroom.

While I hate to see Dean Perrin leave (he is truly awesome), I think that Pepperdine will fare well with these changes. It is exciting that fewer professors are having to give up classes for administrative duties.

Furthermore, Pepperdine is currently engaged in a discussion over changes to the curriculum. While I have no idea how any of this will turn out, some of the proposed changes sound great. I, for one, would love to see the number of required courses reduced.

I would respectfully disagree. The required courses currently give graduating students an opportunity to do better on the California bar. Federal Tax is the only required class that I believe should be disposed of.

As a joint degree student, 62 of my 82 law credits come from required courses. This strikes me as a bit excessive. Forcing students to take courses that prepare them for the bar has served Pepperdine well. Our bar passage results are among the best in the state. However, as Pepperdine has moved up in the rankings, it has attracted brighter students, students who should be able to make wise decisions on their own. A quick review of schools ranked higher than Pepperdine will reveal that very few have such a heavy required course load. As you said, the required courses help prepare students for the CA bar. As Pepperdine continues to move up in the ranks, it is less a regional school, and its curriculum should reflect that fact. There are many of us who do not intend to take the CA bar. I don't intend to take the bar at all.

To answer TrojanHopeful, among the proposed changes (beyond reducing the required course load) is the possibility of giving 1Ls an elective. B/c that could affect the curve, the elective might be pass/fail. One of my professors talked about adding a course in Legislation and making the Jurisprudence course more available. I've only heard snippets here and there, but I'm glad the faculty are taking the time to examine things. Since I'm graduating at the end of this semester, it won't really affect me directly, but I obviously have an interest in the school maintaining and improving its position in the future.

That's great info. Thanks for sharing. It's great to see a school's faculty take time to assess the needs of students on a larger scale...not just within the confines of the academic environment.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:44 am

sinisterkid wrote:
1ferret! wrote:
favrefire4 wrote:

Curious....

?? I replied directly after the question -- went DR on 2/28.

Apologies - My remark was not directed to your reply, but rather that fact that an applicant with below median numbers on both accounts was admitted without hitting the waitlist - must have been a solid app, congrats....

sinisterkid

Postby sinisterkid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:20 am

4 years as a Marine Officer > 22 y/o John Q who answered 2 more questions correctly on the LSAT, IMO. My PS, DS and Mission Statement response are strong. Thanks for the congrats.

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:38 am

sinisterkid wrote:4 years as a Marine Officer > 22 y/o John Q who answered 2 more questions correctly on the LSAT, IMO.

I feel certain that Pepperdine agrees with that sentiment.

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:48 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:
sinisterkid wrote:4 years as a Marine Officer > 22 y/o John Q who answered 2 more questions correctly on the LSAT, IMO.

Hope so....I've got about 12 years down...lol

sinisterkid

Postby sinisterkid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:49 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:

Yeah, that sounded a bit pompous on my part. Should say "I think that to the Pepperdine Adcom, 4 years as a Marine Officer > 22 y/o John Q who answered 2 more questions correctly on the LSAT, IMO."

parebare23

Postby parebare23 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Anyone know the stats on the employment location of Pepperdine grads? Is it pretty heavy in LA/soCal or is there a realistic opportunity to work in other parts of the country upon graduation (DC/NY/PHL/etc..) Basically,how transportable is a Pepperdine law degree?

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:28 pm

parebare23 wrote:Anyone know the stats on the employment location of Pepperdine grads? Is it pretty heavy in LA/soCal or is there a realistic opportunity to work in other parts of the country upon graduation (DC/NY/PHL/etc..) Basically,how transportable is a Pepperdine law degree?

The school is gaining more national recognition each year but to what great extent, I would not know for sure. Around here (SoCal), Pepperdine has a great reputation and lots of graduates tend to stay here. The school places a big emphasis on preparation for the Cal bar...

sinisterkid

Postby sinisterkid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:32 pm

parebare23 wrote:Anyone know the stats on the employment location of Pepperdine grads? Is it pretty heavy in LA/soCal or is there a realistic opportunity to work in other parts of the country upon graduation (DC/NY/PHL/etc..) Basically,how transportable is a Pepperdine law degree?

I'm assuming less portable than we'd like. I'm hesitant to attend Pepperdine (even though I could attend for free thanks to GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon Program) because I want to practice in Atlanta. I was born, raised, and attended UG in Georgia. I definitely have ties to ATL, but even so I dread telling potential employers (there are only 2 ATL firms that participate in Pepperdine's OCI program) that my reason for attending law school on the other side of the country was largely because I wanted California sunshine and Malibu's view of the Pacific.

Any current students that can chime in on portability of the degree or anecdotes of Pepperdine grads landing jobs on the east coast would be greatly appreciated.

kokorozukai

Postby kokorozukai » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:27 pm

sinisterkid wrote:

I'm assuming less portable than we'd like. I'm hesitant to attend Pepperdine (even though I could attend for free thanks to GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon Program) because I want to practice in Atlanta. I was born, raised, and attended UG in Georgia. I definitely have ties to ATL, but even so I dread telling potential employers (there are only 2 ATL firms that participate in Pepperdine's OCI program) that my reason for attending law school on the other side of the country was largely because I wanted California sunshine and Malibu's view of the Pacific.

Any current students that can chime in on portability of the degree or anecdotes of Pepperdine grads landing jobs on the east coast would be greatly appreciated.

The general rule is that below T14, you better go to a school where you hope to end up working. It will be tough to gain access to the ATL market from Pepperdine. Granted, if you have ties to ATL, you will have a much better chance. However, it's probably not a good bet. On the other hand, if you just IDEALLY want to end up in ATL, but you also wouldn't mind staying in socal, then pepper is probably a great choice!

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:34 pm

DR as of today....

Hoping for the best. It wouldn't be a bad move...Orange County to Malibu.

Slaw26

Postby Slaw26 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Pepperdine is a great school. There has been a lot of changes over the last six months, not all good. I feel the new Dean's mentality of cut and burn is not always a good one. Great staff have been thrown aside without regard to their long service. Don't for one minute think all these changes are fully endorsed by the people it affects.

Pepperdine has worked hard over the last five years and have risen to number 49 in the last World News rankings. All this was done before the new dean arrived so, the old administration must have been doing something right. Don't get me wrong, change is good, but a across the board exodus is not good for the school. I fear this 49 ranking will not be held onto in the future.

Not only have great people like Dean Perrin and Dean Gash been moved, but the services at Pepperdine use to be some of the best in any Law School. The CDO use to be great and would work tirelessly to promote the students and find us jobs. This year it is not the same. It seems the office is never fully staffed, and it takes forever to get a response or any material returned. The admissions office also seems to be not as efficient as past years.

I hope I'm wrong, since I still use Pepperdine's services and love my old school, but I feel the school is not going it the right direction.
Last edited by Slaw26 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Slaw26 wrote:Pepperdine is a great school. There has been a lot of changes over the last six months, not all good. I feel the new Dean's mentality of cut and burn is not always a good one. Great staff have been thrown aside without regard to their long service. Don't for one minute think all these changes are fully endorsed by the people it affects.

Pepperdine has worked hard over the last five years and have risen to number 49 in the last World News rankings. All this was done before the new dean arrived so, the old administration must have been doing something right. Don't get me wrong, change is good, but a across the board exodus is not good for the school. I fair this 49 ranking will not be held onto in the future.

Not only have great people like Dean Perrin and Dean Gash been moved, but the services at Pepperdine use to be some of the best in any Law School. The CDO use to be great and would work tirelessly to promote the students and find us jobs. This year it is not the same. It seems the office is never fully staffed, and it takes forever to get a response or any material returned. The admissions office also seems to be not as efficient as past years.

I hope I'm wrong, since I still use Pepperdine's services and love my old school, but I feel the school is not going it the right direction.

I feel like you're deterring great students from wanting to go here by posting this, especially when this is a prospective Pepperdine class forum. What would you suggest us admitted students do then? Go elsewhere? In all honesty, are you proposing we reconsider going?

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Slaw26 wrote:Pepperdine is a great school. There has been a lot of changes over the last six months, not all good. I feel the new Dean's mentality of cut and burn is not always a good one. Great staff have been thrown aside without regard to their long service. Don't for one minute think all these changes are fully endorsed by the people it affects.

Pepperdine has worked hard over the last five years and have risen to number 49 in the last World News rankings. All this was done before the new dean arrived so, the old administration must have been doing something right. Don't get me wrong, change is good, but a across the board exodus is not good for the school. I fair this 49 ranking will not be held onto in the future.

TROLL

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=134527&p=5312208#p5312208

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:56 pm

USMCMatt wrote:

TROLL

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=134527&p=5312208#p5312208

Thanks for highlighting that, I wouldn't have known. I'm most likely attending Pepperdine in the Fall and I'm tired of people trying to talk me out of it for no valid reasons whatsoever.

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:44 pm

melanne89 wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:

TROLL

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8#p5312208

Thanks for highlighting that, I wouldn't have known. I'm most likely attending Pepperdine in the Fall and I'm tired of people trying to talk me out of it for no valid reasons whatsoever.

There are several trolls around. A lot of the negativity that you hear on these boards regarding Pepperdine will come from people who have never visited and have no clue. They just love to hate on the school b/c of their impressions on the school's connection to religion and conservatism.

It is worth knowing about the changes that are taking place on campus, but it is absurd to blame everything on the incoming Dean. Dean Perrin loves Pepperdine, but he simply couldn't turn down the opportunity to return to his alma mater as President. Dean Gash has been wanting to return to the classroom for quite a while. There is always an apprehension when changes take place, but until we start seeing the effects, I plan on holding back on my criticism.

tjos

Postby tjos » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Figured this would get lost in the negotiation thread - has anyone had any luck negotiating here?

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:10 pm

congrats admittees. I'm a fan of the new Dean and think she will continue the great work that Ken Starr began in getting the school national recognition and prestige outside of LA and OC.

In regards to questions about portability, part of the problem is a small class size with self selection bias. On the one hand, only a few alums might place in DC or NY but part of that is cuz most people want to be in Socal and the class size is only about 200, on the other hand, I know a couple people getting jobs in MD because they are from there and have connections; if they get good jobs there it won't be because Pepp opened up the MD market for them but rather because of their personal connections.

So portability is a very tricky thing to measure. Most people on TLS would say Pepp should not have strength in DC, but for example, Federal agencies came to Pepp last year saying they have directives to increase geographic diversity in their offices and were actively looking to hire Pepp students and other LA law schools; so in some circumstances being a west coaster opened up east coast opportunities; its all just very speculative.

kokorozukai

Postby kokorozukai » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:26 pm

tjos wrote:Figured this would get lost in the negotiation thread - has anyone had any luck negotiating here?

I just tried...and failed. They told me that federal loans are a great option because they have long repayment periods and "VERY LOW INTEREST RATES." I guess they consider 6.8% and 7.9% to be low --;

tjos

Postby tjos » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:28 pm

kokorozukai wrote:
tjos wrote:Figured this would get lost in the negotiation thread - has anyone had any luck negotiating here?

I just tried...and failed. They told me that federal loans are a great option because they have long repayment periods and "VERY LOW INTEREST RATES." I guess they consider 6.8% and 7.9% to be low --;

Ah, damn. I'll give it a shot anyway. Thanks for the info, though.

Slaw26

Postby Slaw26 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 pm

Just because someone has a different opinion than yourself, does not mean they are trolls. I am a graduate and happen to feel the Law School is heading in the wrong direction. I was responding to questions about the school.

Dreas

Postby Dreas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Do we have anyone whose app. is complete and is still waiting on a response from the school? And what this may possibly mean in terms of prospects? Thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”