In at GULC!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Attending?

Totally!
20%
Going somewhere else
31%
Still deciding
50%

Total votes: 222

msblaw89

Re: In at GULC!

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:27 pm

moxy wrote:I just received my financial aid email, and all I see are loans. Does this effectively end my hopes for scholarship money? I was put on their 'alternate' list for scholarship. Have any alternates heard from the school about scholarships today?

Still waiting

princeR

Postby princeR » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:09 pm

I want to apply ED here next cycle, I have a 3.5, what would be an LSAT score to pretty much guarantee acceptance, 169, 170?

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:10 pm

princeR wrote:I want to apply ED here next cycle, I have a 3.5, what would be an LSAT score to pretty much guarantee acceptance, 169, 170?

I got in regular decision with a 3.5/170. If you get a 170, I'd say use your ED to MVP

LawSuccess

Postby LawSuccess » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 pm

So after re-reading the description for Curriculum B, it's actually starting to sound really appealing.

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 pm

luxxe wrote:
bbalcrzy23 wrote:The budget provided by Georgetown is a bit misleading. It is based upon 9 months, not 12.

Every school budgets that way. You can't take out COL loans for the months you aren't taking classes...

True, just thought I'd mention it because it's not clearly stated and it confused me for a second when comparing it to my own budget plan.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:27 pm

abstract wrote:
luxxe wrote:Considering most schools don't guarantee summer funding for 1Ls, it is pretty fantastic. Probably too low to live off of in NYC for a summer, but it could work in DC with some prioritizing. Plus with things like $375/month budgeted for food & $220/month budgeted for local travel, I'm hoping to have some loan money left over for the summers.

Oh totally. I did not mean at all to imply that it was insufficient or unfair--it's still a very generous program. Overall, I was extremely impressed by how GULC structures their programs to allow people to pursue unpaid or low-paying opportunities. Personally, I was very nervous about pursuing a PI career with law school debt, but they seem to make it possible.

A tip on stretching your food dollars in DC--we have really really nice farmers markets here, at least one for every day of the week during the warmer months, and a couple of year-round ones, too. The produce can be so beautiful, yet affordable. And there's Trader Joe's, which is usually cheaper than the regular supermarkets.

And for transportation, in addition to the metro and buses, we have Capital Bikeshare, which is nice if you don't have room in your place to keep a bike.

I was looking at Capital Bikeshare, reminded me of London and their Barclay's bikes. Good to hear that about food dollars, especially with the gym being downstairs from Gerwiz. My metabolism over the past year and a half has increased exponentially and I hate spending a ton of money on mediocre food, an essential reason why I want one of the two rooms with a kitchen and living room (I forget if the efficiency rooms have a kitchen).

And even with CoL at 12 months, it's far more reasonable than I anticipated coming from LA thankfully, but good catch. People out here (in LA) were depicting it as if I'd be spending a lot more than I have to in LA, but it seems only slightly more expensive and if I play my cards right 2L year it seems like it can get cheaper. I could understand how that cost would seem (is) pretty ridiculous though coming from reasonably priced places.

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:11 pm

46nyc wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:So I emailed the FinAid office last week to make sure I had completed all of the things they needed. They said yes, and that my award was ready and would be released to me by April 1st. Now it's April 4th and still nothing. I emailed admissions Monday to see if I was going to qualify for aid and no response yet. What's going on? Why is this taking so long with the deadline this close.

Try logging into the Georgetown MyAccess website. It has a financial aid section that should have your award, in detail, if it's ready. They might have just forgotten to email? Not sure, but check that site!

Thanks for the tip but nothing there either. I just emailed them again. I feel like a stalker but I have an April 15th deposit deadline looming.

drizzle12

Postby drizzle12 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:18 pm

I got the initial merit scholarship email informing me that I was being considered on March 1st. I sent them all my info and did not get a response until early last week saying that the committee is still working and I would have my financial aid award by April 4th.

Today I didn't receive any thing so I called the admissions office in the late afternoon. They were friendly and said that they would try to notify me by the end of the day but when I checked my email they had only sent one saying that the committee and the dean are still working. They said they'd hopefully let me know by the end of next week.

I don't know what's taking so long but apparently there is some sort of hold up. So I guess we just have to wait it out.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 am

+1 I was told march 1st. Then April 4th. Now April 11th.

moxy

Postby moxy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 am

Is information about scholarships released via email, or as a part of the fin. aid package on MyAccess?

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:02 am

jetissent wrote:+1 I was told march 1st. Then April 4th. Now April 11th.

What the hell. Pull it together GULC!

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:14 am

moxy wrote:Is information about scholarships released via email, or as a part of the fin. aid package on MyAccess?

You will get an email telling you the amount.

moxy

Postby moxy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:36 am

luxxe wrote:
moxy wrote:Is information about scholarships released via email, or as a part of the fin. aid package on MyAccess?

Thank you. I just got an email .. no merit aid for me .. at least for now :( .. Sticker it is :shock:

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:42 am

moxy wrote:
luxxe wrote:

Thank you. I just got an email .. no merit aid for me .. at least for now :( .. Sticker it is :shock:

+1... I will be 100% withdrawing if I don't get anything

nfohey

Postby nfohey » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:23 pm

moxy wrote:
luxxe wrote:

Same for me...got the email from Dean Cornblatt saying they couldn't offer me merit aid "at this time," which probably means never.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Were you guys on the alternate list?

moxy

Postby moxy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Were you guys on the alternate list?

Yes.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:31 pm

I was and I got the same email. GULC's approach to this process is not attractive. "Prove to us how much you want to pay us six figures to go to school here!" No thanks, I'd rather take my offers from better schools who didn't demand that I grovel for scholarships.

nfohey

Postby nfohey » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Yes, I was too.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Nelson wrote:

I was and I got the same email. GULC's approach to this process is not attractive. "Prove to us how much you want to pay us six figures to go to school here!" No thanks, I'd rather take my offers from better schools who didn't demand that I grovel for scholarships.

Real talk. Their scholly e-mails are a huge turn-off.

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:38 pm

I could not agree more. I don't mind groveling but I would at least like my emails answered. It makes me wonder if this is how effective their career services office is going to be...Prove me wrong GULC! Send me the financial aid award you said would be available April 1st!

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Sammy841 wrote:I could not agree more. I don't mind groveling but I would at least like my emails answered. It makes me wonder if this is how effective their career services office is going to be...Prove me wrong GULC! Send me the financial aid award you said would be available April 1st!

I'm wondering, if you're an alternate and they decide not to give you scholly, is that the end of the road? Or can you keep negotiating?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:I could not agree more. I don't mind groveling but I would at least like my emails answered. It makes me wonder if this is how effective their career services office is going to be...Prove me wrong GULC! Send me the financial aid award you said would be available April 1st!

I'm wondering, if you're an alternate and they decide not to give you scholly, is that the end of the road? Or can you keep negotiating?

They seem to leave the door open to more negotiating in the email.

ETA
GULC email wrote:The key words here are "at this time." There is still a possibility that some funding may become available in the next month, but until we are sure, we cannot extend a scholarship offer.

I know that your decision may hang in the balance and if you are unable to wait, of course we understand. However, if you remain interested in Georgetown, and if you want us to keep you in mind should funding become available, please respond to this email and let us know.

Leighmak

Postby Leighmak » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:26 pm

LawSuccess wrote:So after re-reading the description for Curriculum B, it's actually starting to sound really appealing.

I think I'm really leaning in that direction as well!

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:38 pm

The email I just received said more financial aid was going out early next week even though mine was supposedly ready before April 1st. It also had literally 3 typos in 2 sentences. This does not inspire confidence.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”