In at GULC!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Attending?

Totally!
20%
Going somewhere else
31%
Still deciding
50%

Total votes: 222

msblaw89

Re: In at GULC!

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Unagi wrote:Got 75k last week and I'm seriously considering it!
Does anyone know how much is the actual cost of living in DC? Thanks!

Were you an alternate?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 pm

moxy wrote:Have any scholarship alternates received new information about their chances? I wonder if the pool size has increased in the last few weeks.

Still waiting...I think we should hear around April 9th

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:26 pm

If anyone with similar stats (171, 3.44) got money I would be VERY interested in hearing about it. Feel free to PM me.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:03 pm

msblaw89 wrote:

Were you an alternate?

I got the first email saying I was being considered for a merit scholarship. Then when people started getting their offers I got an email saying initial offers have gone out and that I should hear back by April 9. It didn't say alternate anywhere in the email... Have been in contact with them since that day and got the offer last week. Hope that helps!

NDIrish2012

Postby NDIrish2012 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:46 pm

jrthor10 wrote:If anyone with similar stats (171, 3.44) got money I would be VERY interested in hearing about it. Feel free to PM me.

I have pretty similar stats and I got a pretty sizable scholarship- need and merit combo. I don't really know how this info helps you though, unless you plan on calling them and demanding money based on what others have received lol.

traynorsbizarro

Postby traynorsbizarro » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:53 pm

sup future gunnaz...looking for REAL advice to succeed in LS? go to the student forum, check out my mixtapes, DL that shit and bump that shit. Part V, coming ne day now...

iphone7

Postby iphone7 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:44 am

So the email I got with the scholarship says that the award, [*]in combination with any need-based grants[*] is $20,000. I'm using my RC skills to mean that even though my need-based Dean Tuition Grant is $7,500 I'm getting a total of $20,000 per year and not $27,500 per year. Is that correct? I would love to be wrong right now.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:49 am

iphone7 wrote:So the email I got with the scholarship says that the award, [*]in combination with any need-based grants[*] is $20,000. I'm using my RC skills to mean that even though my need-based Dean Tuition Grant is $7,500 I'm getting a total of $20,000 per year and not $27,500 per year. Is that correct? I would love to be wrong right now.

You are correct; it is 20k/year. The good part is that the 20k is guaranteed per year even if your financial situation changes. Either way, congratulations on the scholly!

moxy

Postby moxy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:11 am

msblaw89 wrote:
moxy wrote:Have any scholarship alternates received new information about their chances? I wonder if the pool size has increased in the last few weeks.

Still waiting...I think we should hear around April 9th

Looks like it. I read the email again, and it said that we should hear by April 9. That leaves us with 3 days this week, and maybe Monday. I am a little pessimistic about my chances ... this is going to be a long and sad week.. haha

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 am

So I emailed the FinAid office last week to make sure I had completed all of the things they needed. They said yes, and that my award was ready and would be released to me by April 1st. Now it's April 4th and still nothing. I emailed admissions Monday to see if I was going to qualify for aid and no response yet. What's going on? Why is this taking so long with the deadline this close.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:22 am

Sammy841 wrote:So I emailed the FinAid office last week to make sure I had completed all of the things they needed. They said yes, and that my award was ready and would be released to me by April 1st. Now it's April 4th and still nothing. I emailed admissions Monday to see if I was going to qualify for aid and no response yet. What's going on? Why is this taking so long with the deadline this close.

Try logging into the Georgetown MyAccess website. It has a financial aid section that should have your award, in detail, if it's ready. They might have just forgotten to email? Not sure, but check that site!

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Please? :wink:

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Unagi wrote:

They budget ~$23k per year.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm

luxxe wrote:
Unagi wrote:

They budget ~$23k per year.

Oh my God that's it? That's not cheap by any means but if that includes housing and all that's so much better than I expected. Luxxe you gonna head to NYU/CLS at sticker if you get in? I can't justify doing that with Mich. and I don't want to head back to NY on the weird chance I get into NYU so unless Mich. makes it rain I'm here, but I'm just curious about what your plans are. You seem like you might not be an axe murderer.

holden147

Postby holden147 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Unagi wrote:

It all depends on your lifestyle honestly.

Do you want to live alone or with a roommate?
Do you want to live right in DC or do you want to commute?
Do you want to eat ramen noodles every night or do you wanna eat out all the time, etc.?

From my research, I've found that apartments will cost you about $1000-1500/month. So that right there is $12-18k a year. If you spend $250/month on food, you get another $3000 per year. Transportation (metro pass) and other miscellaneous costs..let's just say $100 a month.

So....

12-18k on rent
2500 on food
1200 on transportation/miscelaneous puts you at about $16-23k depending on how you want to live.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:20 pm

hyakku wrote:Oh my God that's it? That's not cheap by any means but if that includes housing and all that's so much better than I expected. Luxxe you gonna head to NYU/CLS at sticker if you get in? I can't justify doing that with Mich. and I don't want to head back to NY on the weird chance I get into NYU so unless Mich. makes it rain I'm here, but I'm just curious about what your plans are. You seem like you might not be an axe murderer.

I just looked it up & it is $24,600 not $23k... not a huge difference. Yeah it really isn't bad and the way it is broken down you have a LOT to work with. Here's the breakdown if anyone wants to see it and hasn't.

Tbh if I can negotiate more out of GULC with an NYU/Columbia acceptance I would likely take it. Not expecting to get in though, and have already deposited to GULC because of my early scholarship deadline. I wouldn't take ANY school over you scholarship at GULC, though!! That is such a phenomenal opportunity.

Haha, totally not an axe murderer. Will be very happy to have someone else who appreciates the fine culinary talents of the South in Gewirz with me :D.
Last edited by luxxe on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abstract

Postby abstract » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:25 pm

holden147 wrote:It all depends on your lifestyle honestly.

Do you want to live alone or with a roommate?
Do you want to live right in DC or do you want to commute?
Do you want to eat ramen noodles every night or do you wanna eat out all the time, etc.?

From my research, I've found that apartments will cost you about $1000-1500/month. So that right there is $12-18k a year. If you spend $250/month on food, you get another $3000 per year. Transportation (metro pass) and other miscellaneous costs..let's just say $100 a month.

So....

12-18k on rent
2500 on food
1200 on transportation/miscelaneous puts you at about $16-23k depending on how you want to live.

It probably bears noting that you can work 1L summer--and from that point forward--which helps a bit. And at ASW, they mentioned several times guaranteed summer funding for unpaid experiences--I'm unsure of the amount, though.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:26 pm

abstract wrote:
It probably bears noting that you can work 1L summer--and from that point forward--which helps a bit. And at ASW, they mentioned several times guaranteed summer funding for unpaid experiences--I'm unsure of the amount, though.

$3500 per summer.

abstract

Postby abstract » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:36 pm

luxxe wrote:$3500 per summer.

Good to know. That is less than I imagined. Another option is to pursue summer PI fellowships offered by firms, industry, or professional orgs.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:46 pm

abstract wrote:
luxxe wrote:$3500 per summer.

Good to know. That is less than I imagined. Another option is to pursue summer PI fellowships offered by firms, industry, or professional orgs.

Considering most schools don't guarantee summer funding for 1Ls, it is pretty fantastic. Probably too low to live off of in NYC for a summer, but it could work in DC with some prioritizing. Plus with things like $375/month budgeted for food & $220/month budgeted for local travel, I'm hoping to have some loan money left over for the summers.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:58 pm

$250/month for food? Is that the ramen noodles budget?

abstract

Postby abstract » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:02 pm

luxxe wrote:Considering most schools don't guarantee summer funding for 1Ls, it is pretty fantastic. Probably too low to live off of in NYC for a summer, but it could work in DC with some prioritizing. Plus with things like $375/month budgeted for food & $220/month budgeted for local travel, I'm hoping to have some loan money left over for the summers.

Oh totally. I did not mean at all to imply that it was insufficient or unfair--it's still a very generous program. Overall, I was extremely impressed by how GULC structures their programs to allow people to pursue unpaid or low-paying opportunities. Personally, I was very nervous about pursuing a PI career with law school debt, but they seem to make it possible.

A tip on stretching your food dollars in DC--we have really really nice farmers markets here, at least one for every day of the week during the warmer months, and a couple of year-round ones, too. The produce can be so beautiful, yet affordable. And there's Trader Joe's, which is usually cheaper than the regular supermarkets.

And for transportation, in addition to the metro and buses, we have Capital Bikeshare, which is nice if you don't have room in your place to keep a bike.

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:05 pm

luxxe wrote:
hyakku wrote:Oh my God that's it? That's not cheap by any means but if that includes housing and all that's so much better than I expected. Luxxe you gonna head to NYU/CLS at sticker if you get in? I can't justify doing that with Mich. and I don't want to head back to NY on the weird chance I get into NYU so unless Mich. makes it rain I'm here, but I'm just curious about what your plans are. You seem like you might not be an axe murderer.

I just looked it up & it is $24,600 not $23k... not a huge difference. Yeah it really isn't bad and the way it is broken down you have a LOT to work with. Here's the breakdown if anyone wants to see it and hasn't.

Tbh if I can negotiate more out of GULC with an NYU/Columbia acceptance I would likely take it. Not expecting to get in though, and have already deposited to GULC because of my early scholarship deadline. I wouldn't take ANY school over you scholarship at GULC, though!! That is such a phenomenal opportunity.

Haha, totally not an axe murderer. Will be very happy to have someone else who appreciates the fine culinary talents of the South in Gewirz with me :D.

The budget provided by Georgetown is a bit misleading. It is based upon 9 months, not 12.

moxy

Postby moxy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:23 pm

I just received my financial aid email, and all I see are loans. Does this effectively end my hopes for scholarship money? I was put on their 'alternate' list for scholarship. Have any alternates heard from the school about scholarships today?

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:24 pm

bbalcrzy23 wrote:The budget provided by Georgetown is a bit misleading. It is based upon 9 months, not 12.

Every school budgets that way. You can't take out COL loans for the months you aren't taking classes...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”