In at GULC!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Attending?

Totally!
44
20%
Going somewhere else
68
31%
Still deciding
110
50%
 
Total votes: 222

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby KevinP » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:20 pm

NDIrish2012 wrote:I got the same email a few minutes ago, combining my previous need based grant with a merit scholarship for 35K/ year. Are you 100% sure about the bolded part? I was previously concerned, with my need based grant, that it had the potential to greatly fluctuate over the course of three years, so if what you say is true then, well, easy decision.

Yeah, very certain. I would recommend calling and asking just if have any doubts.

NDIrish2012 wrote:I am also curious about what exactly is required by signing the intent to enroll... does it mean you must attend, must withdraw from other schools, both?? I guess I'll call tomorrow to find out.

Either way, I'm super pumped!

They told me I don't have to withdraw my other applications. However, I am unsure if that means I would be able to withdraw from GULC should a waitlisted school accept me. Please let me know what they say (I'll probably call and bother them again for clarification).
Last edited by KevinP on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

NDIrish2012
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby NDIrish2012 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:23 pm

^ Thanks. I'll call them tomorrow about these questions and I'll post what they say.

User avatar
cylon_clone
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby cylon_clone » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 pm

hmm, so if I were to get a need-based grant as well, that would be added on top of the scholarship? In the e-mail, it stated that if the grant exceeded the cost of the scholarship (it won't) then I would get the grant in lieu of the scholarship, not both. Not sure if that's still the case if the grant is less than the scholly...

A portion of my Need Access Form was missing so I had to provide extra details - which is probably why my need-based grant hasn't been processed yet...

Leighmak
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby Leighmak » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:43 pm

KevinP wrote:
Just to clarify: The 120k is guaranteed. If your need goes down, the merit part of the scholly goes up. There are no stipulations besides not flunking out.


I just received a merit scholarship today on top of the need-based aid. My email said that I would be getting an extra email from Alison Spada with more information... is that where the information about the amount being guaranteed is found? How did you find that out? That would be amazing.

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby hyakku » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:58 pm

KevinP wrote:
hyakku wrote:Well, about to deposit right now. Just got an email offering 40k/yr from the Dean if I understand. It says with the need based grants it will total for EACH of three years so this is roughly 120k correct? I don't mean to be an idiot right now but I really want to be sure before I call family and everything. It says the deadline is April 9 so I assume they are sending out other offers as people with the April 1 deadline pass this up.

I wanted to ride the Mich. waitlist too but this is too much of a blessing to pass up. Besides of COL in DC (which is still going to hurt -_-) this is almost as good as I could ask for. I'm really hoping I understand this right.

And thank you so much to the people that withdraw when they knew they weren't going to come. This is so huge for me.

Edit: AND ENROLLMENT IS FREE!?

(>'.')> <('.'<) (o'.')=o o=('.'o)


Correct! It is 120k total! Congratulations! I talked to someone in admissions and they told me that I am not required to withdraw from other schools/waitlists. However, I should have been more specific because I am unsure if this means one can withdraw from GULC if a school from a waitlist offers admissions.

Just to clarify: The 120k is guaranteed. If your need goes down, the merit part of the scholly goes up. There are no stipulations besides not flunking out.


Thank you so much man you just made my night.

Hope everyone else gets a chance to grab one of these, this is life changing.

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby luxxe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:49 am

Lol making me feel like shit about my scholarship, but hyakku I am so happy for you!! So much sweet tea to be had in DC :wink:.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby KevinP » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:30 am

Congratulations to all the other scholarship recipients! I'm glad to see that GULC is one of the few schools that offers substantial need-based aid.

Leighmak wrote:
I just received a merit scholarship today on top of the need-based aid. My email said that I would be getting an extra email from Alison Spada with more information... is that where the information about the amount being guaranteed is found? How did you find that out? That would be amazing.


That is what admissions told me via phone. Here's some more information from last year's thread:

santoinettea wrote:FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN CLARIFICATION ABOUT LAW CENTER SCHOLARSHIPS (and those who skim):

I wasn't able to get a hold of the contact in the email, but I did speak with a friendly woman in the Financial Aid Office.

1. The Law Center Scholarship includes whatever need-based assistance you received or will receive in grants. [This was confirmed by someone else earlier in the thread.]

2. This is when I asked if the scholarship offered for each year was guaranteed or if the need-based portion would fluctuate and thereby shrink the scholarship. She gave a very clear (and great) answer, which was something along the lines of:

Each year we need to reapply for financial aid. The need-based portion might decrease for years 2 and 3, but if it were to drop at all (e.g., to half or even to $0), they would compensate for that difference with more merit money, so we would still receive the full amount indicated in the email about Law Center Scholarships.

This was fantastic to hear! I am so excited! Being guaranteed that amount for each year just changed everything for me. I think I'm Georgetown bound! : )

P.S. Other people should call and confirm this. I will call on Monday to speak with the woman specifically mentioned just to be safe. However, the woman I spoke to today said that my questions were very easy to answer, so that's a great sign.


dpk711 wrote:Also, to clarify some potential confusion, the intent to enroll forms are not binding -- I have confirmed this with several representatives of the GULC financial aid and admissions office. I've sent mine in and am still waiting for my financial aid/scholly evaluation at Penn.


I would, however, recommend calling admissions and asking so that you are sure. You can't (unfortunately) always trust the Interwebs these days :)
Last edited by KevinP on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broncos_fan_26
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:56 am

what is dress code for admitted students events this thursday and friday?

hooma
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby hooma » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 am

broncos_fan_26 wrote:what is dress code for admitted students events this thursday and friday?

For thursday and friday I think the Olive-garden-with-so's-parents rule applies. I'm wondering about the scotus reception tonight, which seems like it would be more formal (i.e. suits). Please, someone tell me if they think I'm way off base.

broncos_fan_26
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 am

hooma wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:what is dress code for admitted students events this thursday and friday?

For thursday and friday I think the Olive-garden-with-so's-parents rule applies. I'm wondering about the scotus reception tonight, which seems like it would be more formal (i.e. suits). Please, someone tell me if they think I'm way off base.


Imagine you're talking to someone with no sense of fashion whatsoever, and wears flip flops and sweats (of course in florida weather) to the Olive Garden.

User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 am

hooma wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:what is dress code for admitted students events this thursday and friday?

For thursday and friday I think the Olive-garden-with-so's-parents rule applies. I'm wondering about the scotus reception tonight, which seems like it would be more formal (i.e. suits). Please, someone tell me if they think I'm way off base.

The reception is business casual

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby hyakku » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 am

luxxe wrote:Lol making me feel like shit about my scholarship, but hyakku I am so happy for you!! So much sweet tea to be had in DC :wink:.


O HO!? I didn't even think about that. I'm really glad to see they were generous with you too, I really didn't expect this. I'm pretty sure I'm sending in my intent and what not later, barring a full ride from Mich. or something I can't see myself going into an additional 100k+ of debt to be in AA. Even with a lower cost of living they'd still have to offer around 75k to match Georgetown.

Swift, thanks for that info, really helpful and reassuring. Guess I need to decide whether it's on campus living or off. Anyone know if there's a facebook group or something for us yet? I may be looking to find a roommate(s?) that doesn't floss their turtle while tanning cow hides or something in our living room. I was fortunate enough freshmen year to find someone that seemed compatible, and four years later we're still close friends and lived together again for a year before I grabbed a studio so I'm hoping if nothing else I'm tolerable and can find someone else like that. I know a lot of people are thinking about on campus living, but on the highly unlikely chance I find five non-tanning turtle flossers, there are some pretty nice 5-6 bedroom houses in D.C. that would run like 1200-1500 a month and give a lot more than some of those studios.

Finally getting excited now that I know my plans.

User avatar
clarion
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby clarion » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:32 pm

hyakku wrote:
luxxe wrote:Lol making me feel like shit about my scholarship, but hyakku I am so happy for you!! So much sweet tea to be had in DC :wink:.


O HO!? I didn't even think about that. I'm really glad to see they were generous with you too, I really didn't expect this. I'm pretty sure I'm sending in my intent and what not later, barring a full ride from Mich. or something I can't see myself going into an additional 100k+ of debt to be in AA. Even with a lower cost of living they'd still have to offer around 75k to match Georgetown.

Swift, thanks for that info, really helpful and reassuring. Guess I need to decide whether it's on campus living or off. Anyone know if there's a facebook group or something for us yet? I may be looking to find a roommate(s?) that doesn't floss their turtle while tanning cow hides or something in our living room. I was fortunate enough freshmen year to find someone that seemed compatible, and four years later we're still close friends and lived together again for a year before I grabbed a studio so I'm hoping if nothing else I'm tolerable and can find someone else like that. I know a lot of people are thinking about on campus living, but on the highly unlikely chance I find five non-tanning turtle flossers, there are some pretty nice 5-6 bedroom houses in D.C. that would run like 1200-1500 a month and give a lot more than some of those studios.

Finally getting excited now that I know my plans.


Hey! Congrats, and here's a link to the group with those who are most likely to be attending http://www.facebook.com/groups/GtownLawAdmitted/

That is to say, there are a few others, but as far as I know this is the most legit among those geared towards incoming 1Ls :)

User avatar
holden147
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby holden147 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:11 pm

clarion wrote:
hyakku wrote:
luxxe wrote:Lol making me feel like shit about my scholarship, but hyakku I am so happy for you!! So much sweet tea to be had in DC :wink:.


O HO!? I didn't even think about that. I'm really glad to see they were generous with you too, I really didn't expect this. I'm pretty sure I'm sending in my intent and what not later, barring a full ride from Mich. or something I can't see myself going into an additional 100k+ of debt to be in AA. Even with a lower cost of living they'd still have to offer around 75k to match Georgetown.

Swift, thanks for that info, really helpful and reassuring. Guess I need to decide whether it's on campus living or off. Anyone know if there's a facebook group or something for us yet? I may be looking to find a roommate(s?) that doesn't floss their turtle while tanning cow hides or something in our living room. I was fortunate enough freshmen year to find someone that seemed compatible, and four years later we're still close friends and lived together again for a year before I grabbed a studio so I'm hoping if nothing else I'm tolerable and can find someone else like that. I know a lot of people are thinking about on campus living, but on the highly unlikely chance I find five non-tanning turtle flossers, there are some pretty nice 5-6 bedroom houses in D.C. that would run like 1200-1500 a month and give a lot more than some of those studios.

Finally getting excited now that I know my plans.


Hey! Congrats, and here's a link to the group with those who are most likely to be attending http://www.facebook.com/groups/GtownLawAdmitted/

That is to say, there are a few others, but as far as I know this is the most legit among those geared towards incoming 1Ls :)


+1

Anyone looking for a roommate or know a good resource for finding roommates? I figure the FB group page is a good bet, but maybe someone on here is also looking :)

User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Ya im looking for one


holden147 wrote:
clarion wrote:
hyakku wrote:
luxxe wrote:Lol making me feel like shit about my scholarship, but hyakku I am so happy for you!! So much sweet tea to be had in DC :wink:.


O HO!? I didn't even think about that. I'm really glad to see they were generous with you too, I really didn't expect this. I'm pretty sure I'm sending in my intent and what not later, barring a full ride from Mich. or something I can't see myself going into an additional 100k+ of debt to be in AA. Even with a lower cost of living they'd still have to offer around 75k to match Georgetown.

Swift, thanks for that info, really helpful and reassuring. Guess I need to decide whether it's on campus living or off. Anyone know if there's a facebook group or something for us yet? I may be looking to find a roommate(s?) that doesn't floss their turtle while tanning cow hides or something in our living room. I was fortunate enough freshmen year to find someone that seemed compatible, and four years later we're still close friends and lived together again for a year before I grabbed a studio so I'm hoping if nothing else I'm tolerable and can find someone else like that. I know a lot of people are thinking about on campus living, but on the highly unlikely chance I find five non-tanning turtle flossers, there are some pretty nice 5-6 bedroom houses in D.C. that would run like 1200-1500 a month and give a lot more than some of those studios.

Finally getting excited now that I know my plans.


Hey! Congrats, and here's a link to the group with those who are most likely to be attending http://www.facebook.com/groups/GtownLawAdmitted/

That is to say, there are a few others, but as far as I know this is the most legit among those geared towards incoming 1Ls :)


+1

Anyone looking for a roommate or know a good resource for finding roommates? I figure the FB group page is a good bet, but maybe someone on here is also looking :)

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby hyakku » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Look at rent inside of D.C. = weeping.

Look less than ten miles from GULC :

--LinkRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Two people could live there and have three extra bedrooms for the same price as a studio in an OK area in D.C. I don't even...

User avatar
holden147
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby holden147 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:35 pm

hyakku wrote:Look at rent inside of D.C. = weeping.

Look less than ten miles from GULC :

--LinkRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Two people could live there and have three extra bedrooms for the same price as a studio in an OK area in D.C. I don't even...


I would absolutely live there if I could get 4 roommates. Hell, even if it's just three people, you can use the other rooms to store all the money you're saving.

nbagirl73
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby nbagirl73 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:44 am

received the PILS by phone call yesterday! hadn't seen it on here so thought people would want to know that (at least some) notifications are going out.

User avatar
holden147
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby holden147 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:02 pm

nbagirl73 wrote:received the PILS by phone call yesterday! hadn't seen it on here so thought people would want to know that (at least some) notifications are going out.


Congrats!

User avatar
clarion
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby clarion » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Just got an email confirming receipt of my Intent to Enroll and Tuition deposit forms. Though I'm STILL waiting on four schools (three of which happened to be my top three overall choices :roll:), I'm pleased with the thought of being in DC this fall :)

Sammy841
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby Sammy841 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:45 am

So I emailed GULC last week to see what the hold up on my financial aid was. They said it was ready, and I would receive it by April 1st. Still nothing. Is this an April Fool's joke?

nfohey
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby nfohey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:59 am

I got an email saying that I was a scholarship alternate. Given GULC's reputaion as being stingy with scholarships, what are the chances that I get something worthwhile?

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby KevinP » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Anyone else amazed by how much lay prestige GULC has? Some of the people I've talked to think it's right below Harvard.

Also, I was told by admissions that accepting the scholarship was not binding and the amount was guaranteed. So I didn't misunderstand, can anyone confirm this?

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby luxxe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:47 pm

KevinP wrote:Anyone else amazed by how much lay prestige GULC has? Some of the people I've talked to think it's right below Harvard.

Also, I was told by admissions that accepting the scholarship was not binding and the amount was guaranteed. So I didn't misunderstand, can anyone confirm this?


My professors are SO impressed. (And ngl I feel pretty good about getting $$ out of stingy GULC with my LSAT).

I think the email + phone call should put your mind at ease about the money :D. Multiple people have confirmed that their emails said the same.

stabiloboss
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby stabiloboss » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:48 pm

yea lay prestige is insane, wasn't expecting this much...anyone know why???




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, hwwong, mudiverse, tangers91 and 21 guests