In at GULC! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Attending?

Totally!
20%
Going somewhere else
31%
Still deciding
50%

Total votes: 222

Sammy841

Bronze

Re: In at GULC!

Post by Sammy841 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:23 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:
southernsuperstar wrote:
juju96 wrote:for everyone going to asw what kind of plans are you making for lodging?
I'll only be there for one night, so I bit the bullet and got a (very expensive) hotel room
What hotel? Im still trying to figure out where to stay
I got 2 nights at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park for $76/night though the Priceline bidding section. It's right on the red line so even though it's not super close it will hopefully be easy to navigate.

southernsuperstar

Bronze

Post by southernsuperstar » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:33 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:
southernsuperstar wrote:
juju96 wrote:for everyone going to asw what kind of plans are you making for lodging?
I'll only be there for one night, so I bit the bullet and got a (very expensive) hotel room
What hotel? Im still trying to figure out where to stay
Hilton Garden Inn...Moxy, be quiet!

My parents were worried about safety :oops:

hookem12

Bronze

Post by hookem12 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:05 pm

I went to the January ASW, but I'm going to be in DC next weekend to sit in on a class that Thursday (which I didn't get to do in January), so I'm thinking about just going to this ASW as well. I'd like to know who the panelists/speakers are though, because I don't want to sit through the exact same thing. Anyone else going that also attended in January? I'd really like to go to the Tuesday election symposium, but I'm not quite bold enough to just blow off all my classes next week and fly up early.

swtlilsoni

Bronze

Post by swtlilsoni » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 am

Hey I made a thread to talk about ASW stuff since everyone going is split in all these other threads (mainly this and class of 2015)
Here it is:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=180985

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:06 am

Absolutely stunned! Just recieved an amazing scholarship award. Does anyone know if the Scholarship Intent to Enroll Form is binding? I'm practically set on GULC right now, but I am bit wary of binding agreements.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:50 am

Damn, everyone's spending money on hotels. Glad I know a lot of people in the DC area to stay wiht...

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:49 am

Just got a nice scholly offer... 32500 including my financial aid/yr. I dunno what to do! I would still be looking at 120000 in debt. BAH why GULC confuse me

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:04 am

KevinP wrote:Absolutely stunned! Just recieved an amazing scholarship award. Does anyone know if the Scholarship Intent to Enroll Form is binding? I'm practically set on GULC right now, but I am bit wary of binding agreements.
I think it is binding...in the fact that you have to withdraw your "acceptances" from other schools. if you are on the WL...I think you don't have to withdraw. I'm not 100%

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:44 am

KevinP wrote:Absolutely stunned! Just recieved an amazing scholarship award. Does anyone know if the Scholarship Intent to Enroll Form is binding? I'm practically set on GULC right now, but I am bit wary of binding agreements.
Almost positive its binding.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:18 am

How are you all getting these scholarships? Mail or email? You got these after the Georgetown Law Financial Aid Award Letter email....or is that the email?

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:19 am

cjcregg wrote:How are you all getting these scholarships? Mail or email? You got these after the Georgetown Law Financial Aid Award Letter email....or is that the email?
After both. I had the financial aid email Tuesday, just received this email last night

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:20 am

cjcregg wrote:How are you all getting these scholarships? Mail or email? You got these after the Georgetown Law Financial Aid Award Letter email....or is that the email?
E-mail. And after the Financial Aid Award Letter. These are whats called "exploding offers"...you have to accept within a certain amount of time or they disappear and will be given to someone else (I believe April 5th at this point)

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
Almost positive its binding.
Really? I was under the impression that it was no more binding than is depositing at any individual law school? That is to say, once you reply to accept and deposit you can still deposit at other schools if the option presents itself. But hey, maybe I'm wrong?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 pm

My problem with housing is that its damn near impossible to find anything on Craigslist for an August/September move in. It seems like you have to wait till the month before.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:35 pm

broncos_fan_26 wrote:My problem with housing is that its damn near impossible to find anything on Craigslist for an August/September move in. It seems like you have to wait till the month before.
It is going to be like that in almost every major city. It is really annoying, especially for an obsessive planner such as myself. Things will probably start showing up towards the beginning of the summer rather, though.

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:41 pm

luxxe wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:My problem with housing is that its damn near impossible to find anything on Craigslist for an August/September move in. It seems like you have to wait till the month before.
It is going to be like that in almost every major city. It is really annoying, especially for an obsessive planner such as myself. Things will probably start showing up towards the beginning of the summer rather, though.
It's actually more specific to DC. I heard this from people who had recently moved to DC, and told me the housing situation. Moreover, I live in Boston, and moved into a new place this month, so I was looking last month. ALL over cragislist were ads for August, September moveins. And Boston's probably a bigger college town than even DC.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:32 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
E-mail. And after the Financial Aid Award Letter. These are whats called "exploding offers"...you have to accept within a certain amount of time or they disappear and will be given to someone else (I believe April 5th at this point)
Thanks for the heads up. This has made my decision much harder.

Here's another reference I found: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx

ETA: There's no clause about withdrawing any other applications. Just that I "will" enroll. I think I'll call them to clarify.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:46 pm

the standard rental lease in dc says you must give notice of your intent to move out two months in advance, so begin looking for places in june and you'll be fine. It's good to do research now and get an idea of what areas/prices you want to be looking at, but yeah you're not going to find anything on craigslist this early!

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:54 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
the standard rental lease in dc says you must give notice of your intent to move out two months in advance, so begin looking for places in june and you'll be fine. It's good to do research now and get an idea of what areas/prices you want to be looking at, but yeah you're not going to find anything on craigslist this early!
That's what I figured, but I'm still kind of unsure if I should live on campus or not? I really hope that ASW will help me answer this question.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm not going to be able to make ASW so I hope everyone can post their experiences as I'm pretty sure I'm committed to going to GULC after today. I was caught up trying to wait for Mich.'s WL offer but my financial aid has a 27k grant which seems like its annual. If so, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in D.C. this fall as that's a blessing I just can't pass up. An added scholly would just blow my mind.

Speaking of which, I've been looking but does anyone know if grants are annual or what? Either way even 27k for the first year would be more than I anticipated so I'm ecstatic right now.

Edit: Found this in the thread, helped out, thanks all. Pretty sure I'm gonna be at GULC next year knowing the following:
From http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/ai ... index.html:

"Awards are generally renewable at the same level for up to 2 additional years of full-time study at Georgetown Law (1 additional year for transfer students). Changes significantly affecting the financial situation of the student, student's spouse and/or student's parent(s) may affect the level or availability of grant assistance in future years. In addition, students earning significant pay through summer employment (e.g., working as law firm summer associates) are expected to use a portion of their earnings for their education and, accordingly, are likely to have their grant assistance reduced for the following year."

"Dean's Tuition Grants are awarded with the understanding that there is a moral obligation for the student to repay the funds received. By accepting the grant award, the student accepts his/her moral responsibility to contribute to Georgetown Law when financially able to do so. The fulfillment of this moral obligation will help to replenish the grant fund and ensures that Georgetown Law will be able to offer institutional aid to future students."
I'm down to pay that back when I'm financially able :lol:

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Got absolutely nothing from Georgetown in terms of scholarship. Probably going to withdraw soon; too bad, as they were my first acceptance and had a special place in my heart...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:22 pm

broncos_fan_26 wrote:That's what I figured, but I'm still kind of unsure if I should live on campus or not? I really hope that ASW will help me answer this question.
Definitely take a look at the on-campus apartments when you're here next week. You will probably be able to peer in one during the tours or just walk around and ask people that are in gewirz if you can see their rooms and what they like/ don't like about living there. Most students are glad to answer questions so don't hesitate to introduce yourselves and pick our brains!

lfrawley1101

New

Post by lfrawley1101 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:38 am

hipstermafia wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:That's what I figured, but I'm still kind of unsure if I should live on campus or not? I really hope that ASW will help me answer this question.
Definitely take a look at the on-campus apartments when you're here next week. You will probably be able to peer in one during the tours or just walk around and ask people that are in gewirz if you can see their rooms and what they like/ don't like about living there. Most students are glad to answer questions so don't hesitate to introduce yourselves and pick our brains!
I went to one of the admitted student days and everyone was amazingly nice so I'm sure someone will show you a room. Our tour did take us into the one of the rapartments and I was very disappointed. From what is on Georgetown's website, it seems like there are several different styles, but this one was reallllly tiny and reminded me a lot of undergrad housing. It was two small rooms with a twin bed and large desk in each, and a small kitchen with a door leading to the bathroom. There was no living room or common area. I would recommend seeing the exact style you're interested in before deciding to live there.

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:58 am

KevinP wrote:
NYCLSATTutor wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. This has made my decision much harder.

Here's another reference I found: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx

ETA: There's no clause about withdrawing any other applications. Just that I "will" enroll. I think I'll call them to clarify.
Please let me know what they say if/when you do call them.

That being said from talking to sources it, preliminarily at least, seems binding. At the very least after April 1st schools can see your status at other schools so if you accepted GULC they might then demand that you withdraw from other schools if they see that you are still in consideration.

I should have a better answer on this by early next week though. Will report back when I do.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:19 am

lfrawley1101 wrote:I went to one of the admitted student days and everyone was amazingly nice so I'm sure someone will show you a room. Our tour did take us into the one of the rapartments and I was very disappointed. From what is on Georgetown's website, it seems like there are several different styles, but this one was reallllly tiny and reminded me a lot of undergrad housing. It was two small rooms with a twin bed and large desk in each, and a small kitchen with a door leading to the bathroom. There was no living room or common area. I would recommend seeing the exact style you're interested in before deciding to live there.
Sounds like one of the efficiencies. Cheaper than the other models but not the nicest. If you're on the fence about living there and coming for ASW i would recommend trying to see a bunch of different models, from what i understand they can vary quite a lot.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”