In at GULC!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Attending?

Totally!
44
20%
Going somewhere else
68
31%
Still deciding
110
50%
 
Total votes: 222

User avatar
Smumps
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby Smumps » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:35 am

msblaw89 wrote:
Smumps wrote:Also an alternate. Unfortunately, they won't tell me if I get off the list until 6 days before a few other schools have a seat deposit due.


Wow... I don't understand why you are an alternate


Let's swap GPA's and then I'd be outraged!

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby crumpledq » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:23 am

Seeing some of the amazing folks who are alternates has me shocked that I was given any $. My spouse and I have decided to sit down and make our final decision this weekend, so if I withdraw next week, hopefully my scholly will go to one of you.

adam1
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby adam1 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:36 am

Anyone done any negotiating?

poe
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby poe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:49 pm

poe wrote:What's the biggest scholarship GULC offers? 90K? I know some people asked for full rides in their emails - was anyone successful? Just trying to decide if it's worth negotiating at this point, or if I should just withdraw.


Anyone?

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:52 pm

adam1 wrote:Anyone done any negotiating?


I told them of my money at 2 higher ranked schools....and they made me an alternate.

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby crumpledq » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:58 pm

adam1 wrote:Anyone done any negotiating?


I sent them an unsolicited email--I didn't get the original email from them asking for info--telling them about acceptances (not money) at higher-ranked schools. They sent me a scholarship offer a few days later. It's not huge, but I was surprised.

I'm a super-duper splitter, so it's very surprising to me that they not only made me an offer but did so quickly. I suspect that for those of you who are alternates with strong numbers and $ at higher-ranked schools, GULC might not make you an offer because they think you wouldn't come even if they did. That's the only way I can make sense of it.

User avatar
avd90
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby avd90 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:59 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
adam1 wrote:Anyone done any negotiating?


I told them of my money at 2 higher ranked schools....and they made me an alternate.


same thing here... I also said i was waiting to hear re: $$ and decisions from other schools.. maybe this is their MO? See if we actually want to stick around, then give us massive awards? (hopefully...)

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:24 pm

poe wrote:
poe wrote:What's the biggest scholarship GULC offers? 90K? I know some people asked for full rides in their emails - was anyone successful? Just trying to decide if it's worth negotiating at this point, or if I should just withdraw.


Anyone?


Last year a few people on LSN got 125k, but they had 175+ and 3.75+...the majority seem to have gotten30- 60k with 170+ 3.5+. Two cycles ago...it looks like the cap was 90k for everyone. Three cycles ago some got 105k. From what I cam gather, GULC seems pretty stingy, even among the top numbers

User avatar
lemon7
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:08 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby lemon7 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:18 pm

crumpledq wrote:
adam1 wrote:Anyone done any negotiating?


I sent them an unsolicited email--I didn't get the original email from them asking for info--telling them about acceptances (not money) at higher-ranked schools. They sent me a scholarship offer a few days later. It's not huge, but I was surprised.

I'm a super-duper splitter, so it's very surprising to me that they not only made me an offer but did so quickly. I suspect that for those of you who are alternates with strong numbers and $ at higher-ranked schools, GULC might not make you an offer because they think you wouldn't come even if they did. That's the only way I can make sense of it.


Did you tell them you DIDN'T get money at these other schools? I'm in a similar boat.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:19 pm

I sent them an email with my Cornell offer on Monday and haven't heard back

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby crumpledq » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:42 pm

lemon7 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
adam1 wrote:Anyone done any negotiating?


I sent them an unsolicited email--I didn't get the original email from them asking for info--telling them about acceptances (not money) at higher-ranked schools. They sent me a scholarship offer a few days later. It's not huge, but I was surprised.

I'm a super-duper splitter, so it's very surprising to me that they not only made me an offer but did so quickly. I suspect that for those of you who are alternates with strong numbers and $ at higher-ranked schools, GULC might not make you an offer because they think you wouldn't come even if they did. That's the only way I can make sense of it.


Did you tell them you DIDN'T get money at these other schools? I'm in a similar boat.


I just told them where else I'd been accepted and asked whether I was being considered for merit aid.

sarah123
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby sarah123 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:28 am

I had sent in an email requesting scholarship money and got a reply that I had been designated as an Alternate..Does anyone know what this means though?? I mean, do they just put pretty much everyone down who emails them asking for money as Alternates or they dont list everyone as an alternate, and you actually stand a maybe good shot of getting something?? (i.e. is the Alternate list actually a shortlist for scholarships, or I shouldn't be reading too much into in to it)

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby Geneva » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:35 pm

WHat's the max scholly offer GULC has given? I wonder if it's too late to negotiate...

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:32 pm

sarah123 wrote:I had sent in an email requesting scholarship money and got a reply that I had been designated as an Alternate..Does anyone know what this means though?? I mean, do they just put pretty much everyone down who emails them asking for money as Alternates or they dont list everyone as an alternate, and you actually stand a maybe good shot of getting something?? (i.e. is the Alternate list actually a shortlist for scholarships, or I shouldn't be reading too much into in to it)


What I was told by fin aid is this...the alternate group is "small". Initial scholarships have already been made to those with better numbers, but they have to accept GULC offer by April 1st. Once those initial offers are passed up, the free funds get trickled down to some of those in the alternate group and we will be notified by April 9th.

User avatar
moxy
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby moxy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:13 am

msblaw89 wrote:
sarah123 wrote:I had sent in an email requesting scholarship money and got a reply that I had been designated as an Alternate..Does anyone know what this means though?? I mean, do they just put pretty much everyone down who emails them asking for money as Alternates or they dont list everyone as an alternate, and you actually stand a maybe good shot of getting something?? (i.e. is the Alternate list actually a shortlist for scholarships, or I shouldn't be reading too much into in to it)


What I was told by fin aid is this...the alternate group is "small". Initial scholarships have already been made to those with better numbers, but they have to accept GULC offer by April 1st. Once those initial offers are passed up, the free funds get trickled down to some of those in the alternate group and we will be notified by April 9th.


The Alternate Group seems like some kind of a Scholarship W/L deal. I hope I hear about their decision, one way or the other.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby emkay625 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 am

So, can we assume that people who will be receiving scholarships have already been notified?

User avatar
scottybared
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:15 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby scottybared » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:33 am

emkay625 wrote:So, can we assume that people who will be receiving scholarships have already been notified?


A page or 2 back someone mentioned that the first wave of need-based grants should be going out today or tomorrow. Anyone hear back about need-based stuff yet?

User avatar
avd90
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby avd90 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 am

scottybared wrote:
emkay625 wrote:So, can we assume that people who will be receiving scholarships have already been notified?


A page or 2 back someone mentioned that the first wave of need-based grants should be going out today or tomorrow. Anyone hear back about need-based stuff yet?


I just got off the phone with financial aid. The guy said they would be out tomorrow, most likely, as grants tend to go out on Tuesdays (his words). He said my award was already figured out, and didn't give me much to go on... really wish he would have just read it to me!

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:41 am

emkay625 wrote:So, can we assume that people who will be receiving scholarships have already been notified?


I'd say merit based, yes.

I received an email saying I was an alternate, so I assume that means they selected the first round of ppl receiving scholarships already. Although, the email did say that more scholarships would go out after April 9th.

User avatar
avd90
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby avd90 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:41 am

on this note, what is the typical amount of need based doled out by GULC?

User avatar
jetissent
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby jetissent » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:42 am

emkay625 wrote:So, can we assume that people who will be receiving scholarships have already been notified?


I don't know what is going on over there. I haven't heard anything back after the initial "thanks for your answer" after I responded to the initial scholarship email. I've emailed twice since then (the first time was just shy of 2 weeks ago) and neither has been answered. I assume they're still working because it should be simple enough to email me back and say you didn't get anything lol *wishful thinking*

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:42 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
emkay625 wrote:So, can we assume that people who will be receiving scholarships have already been notified?


I'd say merit based, yes.

I received an email saying I was an alternate, so I assume that means they selected the first round of ppl receiving scholarships already. Although, the email did say that more scholarships would go out after April 9th.


But I think the April 9th notifications will be the funds passed up by the initial group and given to alternates

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:43 am

msblaw89 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
emkay625 wrote:So, can we assume that people who will be receiving scholarships have already been notified?


I'd say merit based, yes.

I received an email saying I was an alternate, so I assume that means they selected the first round of ppl receiving scholarships already. Although, the email did say that more scholarships would go out after April 9th.


But I think the April 9th notifications will be the funds passed up by the initial group and given to alternates


Right. But, you don't think they will make more offers?

User avatar
avd90
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby avd90 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:44 am

msblaw89 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
emkay625 wrote:So, can we assume that people who will be receiving scholarships have already been notified?


I'd say merit based, yes.

I received an email saying I was an alternate, so I assume that means they selected the first round of ppl receiving scholarships already. Although, the email did say that more scholarships would go out after April 9th.


But I think the April 9th notifications will be the funds passed up by the initial group and given to alternates


As an alternate, I hope this is the case. While some of you guys might think this line of reasoning is absurd, I'm actually quite happy being an alternate and having (potentially) more time to mull over my decision, rather than being forced into it by April 1st. I'm still waiting for 5 schools, so I feel like the pressure is very much off to make the call.

edit: I assume there will be more offers, but for people who were not admitted in time for the first wave of merit scholarships.

User avatar
lemon7
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:08 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby lemon7 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:32 pm

avd90 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
emkay625 wrote:So, can we assume that people who will be receiving scholarships have already been notified?


I'd say merit based, yes.

I received an email saying I was an alternate, so I assume that means they selected the first round of ppl receiving scholarships already. Although, the email did say that more scholarships would go out after April 9th.


But I think the April 9th notifications will be the funds passed up by the initial group and given to alternates


As an alternate, I hope this is the case. While some of you guys might think this line of reasoning is absurd, I'm actually quite happy being an alternate and having (potentially) more time to mull over my decision, rather than being forced into it by April 1st. I'm still waiting for 5 schools, so I feel like the pressure is very much off to make the call.

edit: I assume there will be more offers, but for people who were not admitted in time for the first wave of merit scholarships.


Anyone know when the first wave of merit scholarships went out?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”