In at GULC!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Attending?

Totally!
44
20%
Going somewhere else
68
31%
Still deciding
110
50%
 
Total votes: 222

jeninamillion
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:17 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby jeninamillion » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:25 am

gatorlaw wrote:
Pregame the accepted student reception? .....Kidding. But yeah! We should meet up if we're all going to be there in the morning!


Pregraming sounds like a great idea 8) Does someone want to collect emails/phone numbers or something?

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:31 am

jeninamillion wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:
Pregame the accepted student reception? .....Kidding. But yeah! We should meet up if we're all going to be there in the morning!


Pregraming sounds like a great idea 8) Does someone want to collect emails/phone numbers or something?



Party in Hipstermafia's apartment.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby cogitoergosum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:04 am

ALRIGHT!!! Just logged on to ASW for the first time... very cool.

swoozie
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby swoozie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 am

cogitoergosum wrote:ALRIGHT!!! Just logged on to ASW for the first time... very cool.

Me too!! =)
now I feel like I can legitimately post in here!

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby KevinP » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:08 am

Loged into ASW for the first time as well! It's officially official.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:09 am

Yes!!! Welcome, guys!

swoozie
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby swoozie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 am

I haven't 100% decided but I only live ~2 hrs from DC by car so I'm thinking of going to the weekend thing. Even though it's "early", is there still a fairly large turnout?

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby gatorlaw » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 am

jeninamillion wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:
Pregame the accepted student reception? .....Kidding. But yeah! We should meet up if we're all going to be there in the morning!


Pregraming sounds like a great idea 8) Does someone want to collect emails/phone numbers or something?


Facebook? PM us.

User avatar
IamIn
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby IamIn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:28 am

Totally attending! Let's meet, let's meet! :D

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby eaper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:29 am

swoozie wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:ALRIGHT!!! Just logged on to ASW for the first time... very cool.

Me too!! =)
now I feel like I can legitimately post in here!


This... now I get to freak out about seeing if I can plan flying half way across the country to go to the ASW right after classes start here... Still glad to be in, though.

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby gatorlaw » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:32 am

IamIn wrote:Totally attending! Let's meet, let's meet! :D


Are you going to the reception on Jan 26th/27th?

jeninamillion
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:17 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby jeninamillion » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:36 am

eaper wrote:
swoozie wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:ALRIGHT!!! Just logged on to ASW for the first time... very cool.

Me too!! =)
now I feel like I can legitimately post in here!


This... now I get to freak out about seeing if I can plan flying half way across the country to go to the ASW right after classes start here... Still glad to be in, though.


Most professors are pretty understanding about grad/law school visits as long as you tell them like the first day of classes. I've emailed mine already, and they seem to be totally ok with it.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby eaper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:40 am

jeninamillion wrote:
eaper wrote:
swoozie wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:ALRIGHT!!! Just logged on to ASW for the first time... very cool.

Me too!! =)
now I feel like I can legitimately post in here!


This... now I get to freak out about seeing if I can plan flying half way across the country to go to the ASW right after classes start here... Still glad to be in, though.


Most professors are pretty understanding about grad/law school visits as long as you tell them like the first day of classes. I've emailed mine already, and they seem to be totally ok with it.


I'm sure they are, it's just 2-3 days (probably going to have to be 3 days) of missed classes the second week is pretty tough. Also have to see if I can scrap together airfare and hotel money quickly enough >.>

Thanks for the encouraging words... I would love to be able to make it... may have to wait until my spring break, however=\

jeninamillion
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:17 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby jeninamillion » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:50 am

jeninamillion wrote:
eaper wrote:
swoozie wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:Me too!! =)
now I feel like I can legitimately post in here!


This... now I get to freak out about seeing if I can plan flying half way across the country to go to the ASW right after classes start here... Still glad to be in, though.


Most professors are pretty understanding about grad/law school visits as long as you tell them like the first day of classes. I've emailed mine already, and they seem to be totally ok with it.


I'm sure they are, it's just 2-3 days (probably going to have to be 3 days) of missed classes the second week is pretty tough. Also have to see if I can scrap together airfare and hotel money quickly enough >.>

Thanks for the encouraging words... I would love to be able to make it... may have to wait until my spring break, however=\


Where are you flying in from? I just bought tickets yesterday and it only ended up being $300 round trip, which is pretty good since I'm coming from across the country. GULC is also offering to let people stay with current students so you won't have to shell out more for hotel. Either way, I'm glad you've joined us!

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:58 am

eaper wrote:I'm sure they are, it's just 2-3 days (probably going to have to be 3 days) of missed classes the second week is pretty tough. Also have to see if I can scrap together airfare and hotel money quickly enough >.>

Thanks for the encouraging words... I would love to be able to make it... may have to wait until my spring break, however=\


Worrying about class after you're already in!? pshh ;)

I'd definitely recommend staying with a current student over going with a hotel.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby eaper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:05 am

jeninamillion wrote:
jeninamillion wrote:
eaper wrote:
swoozie wrote:
This... now I get to freak out about seeing if I can plan flying half way across the country to go to the ASW right after classes start here... Still glad to be in, though.


Most professors are pretty understanding about grad/law school visits as long as you tell them like the first day of classes. I've emailed mine already, and they seem to be totally ok with it.


I'm sure they are, it's just 2-3 days (probably going to have to be 3 days) of missed classes the second week is pretty tough. Also have to see if I can scrap together airfare and hotel money quickly enough >.>

Thanks for the encouraging words... I would love to be able to make it... may have to wait until my spring break, however=\


Where are you flying in from? I just bought tickets yesterday and it only ended up being $300 round trip, which is pretty good since I'm coming from across the country. GULC is also offering to let people stay with current students so you won't have to shell out more for hotel. Either way, I'm glad you've joined us!


Haha thanks. Either DFW or Houston. Several hour's drive from either... guess I'll look into Austin's airport as well. I'll probably have to talk in depth about it with my generous benefactors in the morning and try to work something out.

swoozie
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby swoozie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:55 am

I just RSVP'd for the Jan 26-27 reception. =D

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:25 am

Sorry to detract from all of the discussiom about boozing during early ASW, which I really wish I could, but cannot make. I was wondering about how the PT applicants do /how they affect the job numbers /percentages. I was paging through that class of 2009 employment results, and it really was't terribly inspiring since it seemed to show GULC well below the rest of the T14 in some of the more desireable stats, like A3 clerkships and biglaw. In fact, I am pretty sure every other school in the NDCG category placed almost 10% better into biglaw.

As an accepted full-time applicant, I know (I think?) GULC is the only T14 with a part time program. Can anyone really speak to how that affects those employment numbers. While on the one hand I would like to think their part time degree is a little less .. the norm, so perhaps they make up some of the gaps. But, on the other hand, I fear more so that the part time applicants may even strengthen the employment numbers for GULC, since they have already worked in the area and developed those connections - thereby making those not in the PT program lookng at worse than reported job prospects.

Another question for any current student, but have you heard anything positive about the JD/MBA program? Or even the other dual degrees? I took the GMAT and smoked it, and since the Army will pay for 100% of 4 years of school, in addition to my pension, I really dont have anything to lose by spending another year in school in the way of debt, but I do not want to get another degree at the risk of hurting my chances at work.

Any thoughts would be really helpoful.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:49 am

EMZE wrote:Sorry to detract from all of the discussiom about boozing during early ASW, which I really wish I could, but cannot make. I was wondering about how the PT applicants do /how they affect the job numbers /percentages. I was paging through that class of 2009 employment results, and it really was't terribly inspiring since it seemed to show GULC well below the rest of the T14 in some of the more desireable stats, like A3 clerkships and biglaw. In fact, I am pretty sure every other school in the NDCG category placed almost 10% better into biglaw.

As an accepted full-time applicant, I know (I think?) GULC is the only T14 with a part time program. Can anyone really speak to how that affects those employment numbers. While on the one hand I would like to think their part time degree is a little less .. the norm, so perhaps they make up some of the gaps. But, on the other hand, I fear more so that the part time applicants may even strengthen the employment numbers for GULC, since they have already worked in the area and developed those connections - thereby making those not in the PT program lookng at worse than reported job prospects.

Another question for any current student, but have you heard anything positive about the JD/MBA program? Or even the other dual degrees? I took the GMAT and smoked it, and since the Army will pay for 100% of 4 years of school, in addition to my pension, I really dont have anything to lose by spending another year in school in the way of debt, but I do not want to get another degree at the risk of hurting my chances at work.

Any thoughts would be really helpoful.



I don't think PT affects the numbers but I can't prove that. Though anecdotally people in the section didn't seem to do any better or worse than would be expected if they were FT students. And that's what the school and employers will generally say as well. I can't tell you anything about the joint degree program. Most people don't do it and I don't see why you'd do it unless you had a specific career goal. Getting and MBA for the sake of getting and MBA is probably a bad idea. You better be able to explain to employers why you got it. And just because I could will not cut it.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:03 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
EMZE wrote:Sorry to detract from all of the discussiom about boozing during early ASW, which I really wish I could, but cannot make. I was wondering about how the PT applicants do /how they affect the job numbers /percentages. I was paging through that class of 2009 employment results, and it really was't terribly inspiring since it seemed to show GULC well below the rest of the T14 in some of the more desireable stats, like A3 clerkships and biglaw. In fact, I am pretty sure every other school in the NDCG category placed almost 10% better into biglaw.

As an accepted full-time applicant, I know (I think?) GULC is the only T14 with a part time program. Can anyone really speak to how that affects those employment numbers. While on the one hand I would like to think their part time degree is a little less .. the norm, so perhaps they make up some of the gaps. But, on the other hand, I fear more so that the part time applicants may even strengthen the employment numbers for GULC, since they have already worked in the area and developed those connections - thereby making those not in the PT program lookng at worse than reported job prospects.

Another question for any current student, but have you heard anything positive about the JD/MBA program? Or even the other dual degrees? I took the GMAT and smoked it, and since the Army will pay for 100% of 4 years of school, in addition to my pension, I really dont have anything to lose by spending another year in school in the way of debt, but I do not want to get another degree at the risk of hurting my chances at work.

Any thoughts would be really helpoful.



I don't think PT affects the numbers but I can't prove that. Though anecdotally people in the section didn't seem to do any better or worse than would be expected if they were FT students. And that's what the school and employers will generally say as well. I can't tell you anything about the joint degree program. Most people don't do it and I don't see why you'd do it unless you had a specific career goal. Getting and MBA for the sake of getting and MBA is probably a bad idea. You better be able to explain to employers why you got it. And just because I could will not cut it.


thanks for the quick feedback. I know that the GULC MBA isn't really in the elite class of programs either, but some of the other joint degrees do seem to make sense based on my background and goals. I majored in Arabic and Russian in undergrad, so the MA in Arab/Russian studies wouldn't be out of the blue, and my desire to study international / comparative law is with the goal in mind of hopefully going back to work for the federal government. A mentor of mine that works with the department of state that I worked with in Afghanstan really motivated me to consider that field and career path.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby hipstermafia » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:17 am

EMZE wrote:Sorry to detract from all of the discussiom about boozing during early ASW, which I really wish I could, but cannot make. I was wondering about how the PT applicants do /how they affect the job numbers /percentages. I was paging through that class of 2009 employment results, and it really was't terribly inspiring since it seemed to show GULC well below the rest of the T14 in some of the more desireable stats, like A3 clerkships and biglaw. In fact, I am pretty sure every other school in the NDCG category placed almost 10% better into biglaw.

I can't prove this either, but i think this is at least in part due to self selection. a lot of gulc students want government or public interest work and have no interest in the bold. A lot of the PT students are only in law school to help them further in the careers they are already in, so they likely won't end up doing the bold when they are finished either.

eta: i've never heard of anyone doing a joint mba, and i have no idea how you think the pt program would actually help in rankings

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: In at GULC!

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:51 am

hipstermafia wrote:
EMZE wrote:Sorry to detract from all of the discussiom about boozing during early ASW, which I really wish I could, but cannot make. I was wondering about how the PT applicants do /how they affect the job numbers /percentages. I was paging through that class of 2009 employment results, and it really was't terribly inspiring since it seemed to show GULC well below the rest of the T14 in some of the more desireable stats, like A3 clerkships and biglaw. In fact, I am pretty sure every other school in the NDCG category placed almost 10% better into biglaw.

I can't prove this either, but i think this is at least in part due to self selection. a lot of gulc students want government or public interest work and have no interest in the bold. A lot of the PT students are only in law school to help them further in the careers they are already in, so they likely won't end up doing the bold when they are finished either.

eta: i've never heard of anyone doing a joint mba, and i have no idea how you think the pt program would actually help in rankings


I was just asking if the PT program has an effect either way on employment stats. I figured a situation in which it helps is when the PT student works through school somewhere they can get a job at afterward. I figured where it hurts is if (big if, I don't know if this is the case at all) legal employers view PTstudents<FTstudents. No idea if that perception is out there.

Self selection makes sense if thats what really causes the gap.

ETA: Are there many hipsters at GULC? I've never even met one in real life....

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby hipstermafia » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:49 pm

EMZE wrote:I was just asking if the PT program has an effect either way on employment stats. I figured a situation in which it helps is when the PT student works through school somewhere they can get a job at afterward. I figured where it hurts is if (big if, I don't know if this is the case at all) legal employers view PTstudents<FTstudents. No idea if that perception is out there.

Self selection makes sense if thats what really causes the gap.

ETA: Are there many hipsters at GULC? I've never even met one in real life....

I don't think this is the case either.

I think PT tends to hurt gulc in the rankings in that: PT adds more students to overall gulc class size (lowering the expenditure per student) and that gulc tends to dip lower in gpa/lsat for pt candidates.

and no, there are not many hipsters.

eads
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby eads » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
EMZE wrote:I was just asking if the PT program has an effect either way on employment stats. I figured a situation in which it helps is when the PT student works through school somewhere they can get a job at afterward. I figured where it hurts is if (big if, I don't know if this is the case at all) legal employers view PTstudents<FTstudents. No idea if that perception is out there.

Self selection makes sense if thats what really causes the gap.

ETA: Are there many hipsters at GULC? I've never even met one in real life....

I don't think this is the case either.

I think PT tends to hurt gulc in the rankings in that: PT adds more students to overall gulc class size (lowering the expenditure per student) and that gulc tends to dip lower in gpa/lsat for pt candidates.

and no, there are not many hipsters.


Very true on the ranking part. As a matter of fact, GW has the second best PT program in the country. However, GW significantly reduced the size of the PT program to about 30 from 100+, after the US News dropped its ranking from 20 to 28 a few years ago. GULC is certainly aware this trend, as in the intro to the JD program, it clearly says that "in order to better serve students for whom the part-time program was designed and to remain true to the spirit in which the part-time program was established, students will now be permitted to transfer from the part-time program to the full-time program only in cases of a demonstrated significant change in circumstances. In connection with this change in policy, the size of the part-time program will also be reduced to 80 students."

User avatar
IamIn
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: In at GULC!

Postby IamIn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:20 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
IamIn wrote:Totally attending! Let's meet, let's meet! :D


Are you going to the reception on Jan 26th/27th?


Yes, going on 26th.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, longsh0305, MSNbot Media, potterotter and 13 guests