In at GULC! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Attending?

Totally!
20%
Going somewhere else
31%
Still deciding
50%

Total votes: 222

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Re: In at GULC!

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:44 am

hipstermafia wrote:
lfrawley1101 wrote:I went to one of the admitted student days and everyone was amazingly nice so I'm sure someone will show you a room. Our tour did take us into the one of the rapartments and I was very disappointed. From what is on Georgetown's website, it seems like there are several different styles, but this one was reallllly tiny and reminded me a lot of undergrad housing. It was two small rooms with a twin bed and large desk in each, and a small kitchen with a door leading to the bathroom. There was no living room or common area. I would recommend seeing the exact style you're interested in before deciding to live there.
Sounds like one of the efficiencies. Cheaper than the other models but not the nicest. If you're on the fence about living there and coming for ASW i would recommend trying to see a bunch of different models, from what i understand they can vary quite a lot.
Is seeing the housing part of the standard tour? Or will I have to go there and ask residents on my own time?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:45 am

broncos_fan_26 wrote:Is seeing the housing part of the standard tour? Or will I have to go there and ask residents on my own time?
part of the standard tour but you probably will only see one apartment, if you're interested in seeing more i would suggest going on your own time.

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:57 am

hipstermafia wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:Is seeing the housing part of the standard tour? Or will I have to go there and ask residents on my own time?
part of the standard tour but you probably will only see one apartment, if you're interested in seeing more i would suggest going on your own time.
i mean, i dont really care about space or anything like that. i could live in a shoebox. My main concnern (from undergrad experiences) is IS IT QUIET? i dont care about anything else . Also, im from florida so not used to those really loud and annoying heaters: it's not steam heating that make clanks, is it? other than that, im fine...

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:03 pm

broncos_fan_26 wrote:i mean, i dont really care about space or anything like that. i could live in a shoebox. My main concnern (from undergrad experiences) is IS IT QUIET? i dont care about anything else . Also, im from florida so not used to those really loud and annoying heaters: it's not steam heating that make clanks, is it? other than that, im fine...
haha, i think you'll be fine then. no steam heating here :) There might be the occasional loud neighbor and unfortunately there is nothing you can really do about that (thats also a risk you take living somewhere else), that being said i don't think i have heard anyone complain about having noisy neighbors. People are pretty respectful and while there are definitely parties to be had they likely will be on weekend nights when you'll want to relax as well. we have to study at some point!

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:13 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:i mean, i dont really care about space or anything like that. i could live in a shoebox. My main concnern (from undergrad experiences) is IS IT QUIET? i dont care about anything else . Also, im from florida so not used to those really loud and annoying heaters: it's not steam heating that make clanks, is it? other than that, im fine...
haha, i think you'll be fine then. no steam heating here :) There might be the occasional loud neighbor and unfortunately there is nothing you can really do about that (thats also a risk you take living somewhere else), that being said i don't think i have heard anyone complain about having noisy neighbors. People are pretty respectful and while there are definitely parties to be had they likely will be on weekend nights when you'll want to relax as well. we have to study at some point!
i just PM'd you. thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:44 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote: Please let me know what they say if/when you do call them.

That being said from talking to sources it, preliminarily at least, seems binding. At the very least after April 1st schools can see your status at other schools so if you accepted GULC they might then demand that you withdraw from other schools if they see that you are still in consideration.

I should have a better answer on this by early next week though. Will report back when I do.
Talked to admissions. They said I am not required to withdraw from other schools that accepted or waitlisted me, but the admissions made it clear that I intend to enroll in Georgetown if I sign the form. Considering how much money they offered me, Georgetown is pretty easily the only one at which I'll put a deposit down (or the equivalent since they waived the deposit fee for me) . However, I would like to stay on a few schools' waiting lists just to see how those turn out.

But please let me know if you get a different answer.

meredy171

New

Post by meredy171 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:50 pm

does anyone know anything about gulc's deferral policy? I tried to find something on its website but couldn't really find anything pertaining to it

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:32 pm

My scholarship just got increased to $20k/year with merit + need-based awards! I will be depositing soon and withdrawing from everywhere except NYU & Columbia who have yet to give me any kind of answer.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:36 pm

luxxe wrote:My scholarship just got increased to $20k/year with merit + need-based awards! I will be depositing soon and withdrawing from everywhere except NYU & Columbia who have yet to give me any kind of answer.
Congrats Luxxe!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:40 pm

luxxe wrote:My scholarship just got increased to $20k/year with merit + need-based awards! I will be depositing soon and withdrawing from everywhere except NYU & Columbia who have yet to give me any kind of answer.
That's awesome. Congrats.

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Hey I have a question: Does anyone know if GULC offers a 'grace period' for its seat deposits? Cause like, I got an email from WUSTL today and they were all "deposit due 4/1 blah blah," but the part that interested me was "The first deposit is refundable if you notify us in writing by May 1 that you will not be attending Washington University School of Law." So yeah, does anyone know if GULC has anything like that? Especially for us scholarship recipients who have to deposit by 4/1? Cause although I'm almost like, 95% certain I'll be in DC come fall, if NYU, Columbia or Harvard (lol) accept me over the next month I'll be devastated: not to mention BEYOND broke...

Btw, might I mention, I seriously doubt that they do. I'm just being foolishly optimistic for once in my life :P

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:56 pm

clarion wrote:Hey I have a question: Does anyone know if GULC offers a 'grace period' for its seat deposits? Cause like, I got an email from WUSTL today and they were all "deposit due 4/1 blah blah," but the part that interested me was "The first deposit is refundable if you notify us in writing by May 1 that you will not be attending Washington University School of Law." So yeah, does anyone know if GULC has anything like that? Especially for us scholarship recipients who have to deposit by 4/1? Cause although I'm almost like, 95% certain I'll be in DC come fall, if NYU, Columbia or Harvard (lol) accept me over the next month I'll be devastated: not to mention BEYOND broke...

Btw, might I mention, I seriously doubt that they do. I'm just being foolishly optimistic for once in my life :P
PM'd you. Good luck.

Leighmak

New

Post by Leighmak » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:16 am

Just to be sure, for those of you who have a deadline on when to accept Georgetown's offered money.... that's just for the merit-based scholarships, right? I got a need-based grant, and I didn't see any deadlines on accepting it (other than the original May 1 deposit deadline). I want to make sure I didn't miss something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NDIrish2012

Bronze

Post by NDIrish2012 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:34 am

To piggyback of the question about need-based grants above, does anybody know what the stability of these grants are? That is, if one's financial situation does not greatly fluctuate, do these grants tend to hover around the same amount for all three years, or is there a (significant) potential for substantial decreases? Also, with respect to significant changes in personal finances that would accompany, say, a firm job during the summer, how much do these types of grants usually change?

I know this might be hard to answer, but I'm just trying to get a grasp on the stability and contingency of these grants- I really can only afford to attend if my grant stays right around where it is now for all three years... Thanks for the insight!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:41 am

NDIrish2012 wrote:To piggyback of the question about need-based grants above, does anybody know what the stability of these grants are? That is, if one's financial situation does not greatly fluctuate, do these grants tend to hover around the same amount for all three years, or is there a (significant) potential for substantial decreases? Also, with respect to significant changes in personal finances that would accompany, say, a firm job during the summer, how much do these types of grants usually change?

I know this might be hard to answer, but I'm just trying to get a grasp on the stability and contingency of these grants- I really can only afford to attend if my grant stays right around where it is now for all three years... Thanks for the insight!
I think financial aid would be the best place to ask these questions.

But on the website...
"Awards are generally renewable at the same level for up to 2 additional years of full-time study at Georgetown Law (1 additional year for transfer students). Changes significantly affecting the financial situation of the student, student's spouse and/or student's parent(s) may affect the level or availability of grant assistance in future years. In addition, students earning significant pay through summer employment (e.g., working as law firm summer associates) are expected to use a portion of their earnings for their education and, accordingly, are likely to have their grant assistance reduced for the following year."
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/ai ... index.html

jmets890

New

Post by jmets890 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:58 am

Did anyone receive an email yesterday from Alison Spada re: scholarship information? PM me for more info.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:04 pm

luxxe wrote:
NDIrish2012 wrote:To piggyback of the question about need-based grants above, does anybody know what the stability of these grants are? That is, if one's financial situation does not greatly fluctuate, do these grants tend to hover around the same amount for all three years, or is there a (significant) potential for substantial decreases? Also, with respect to significant changes in personal finances that would accompany, say, a firm job during the summer, how much do these types of grants usually change?

I think financial aid would be the best place to ask these questions.

But on the website...
"Awards are generally renewable at the same level for up to 2 additional years of full-time study at Georgetown Law (1 additional year for transfer students). Changes significantly affecting the financial situation of the student, student's spouse and/or student's parent(s) may affect the level or availability of grant assistance in future years. In addition, students earning significant pay through summer employment (e.g., working as law firm summer associates) are expected to use a portion of their earnings for their education and, accordingly, are likely to have their grant assistance reduced for the following year."
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/ai ... index.html
Just want to point out that they use your tax information from the previous year to assess your financial aid eligibility (in addition to your parents' tax info, etc.) So, if you work as a summer associate after your second year (which is the most common scenario), that information is included on your tax filing that is due on April 15th of your third year, at which point your financial aid has already been awarded for that year (well before, in fact, as you're halfway through the year).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:05 pm

@sambeber

They may just ask directly for estimated summer earning like they did on the Need Access and adjust your need based aid as a result.

Edit: Best thing to do would be ask some 3Ls. But I don't think they'd go out of their way to note it if they weren't seriously going to consider it.

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:17 pm

I got significant need based aid from GULC (I may be THE single lowest-income person attending GULC though) and have been named an Alternate for scholarship funding. If I receive any merit-based aid then my decision will be extremely easy, however, without the merit based aid, I will probably wind up going to GULC anyway. I just don't want to pay so much. :( lol

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:28 pm

holden147 wrote:I got significant need based aid from GULC (I may be THE single lowest-income person attending GULC though) and have been named an Alternate for scholarship funding. If I receive any merit-based aid then my decision will be extremely easy, however, without the merit based aid, I will probably wind up going to GULC anyway. I just don't want to pay so much. :( lol
How long was your turnaround on the need-based aid? I submitted everything about two weeks ago and havent heard anything yet. Not sure if I should start stalking the financial aid office.

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Sammy841 wrote:
holden147 wrote:I got significant need based aid from GULC (I may be THE single lowest-income person attending GULC though) and have been named an Alternate for scholarship funding. If I receive any merit-based aid then my decision will be extremely easy, however, without the merit based aid, I will probably wind up going to GULC anyway. I just don't want to pay so much. :( lol
How long was your turnaround on the need-based aid? I submitted everything about two weeks ago and havent heard anything yet. Not sure if I should start stalking the financial aid office.
About 2-3 weeks. Sorry I can't be more exact, I'd lose my mind tracking every event to the day as some do lol. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Sammy841 wrote:
BTW, for what it's worth, a polite e-mail never hurts if you're anxious about checking the status of the fin aid.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Well, about to deposit right now. Just got an email offering 40k/yr from the Dean if I understand. It says with the need based grants it will total for EACH of three years so this is roughly 120k correct? I don't mean to be an idiot right now but I really want to be sure before I call family and everything. It says the deadline is April 9 so I assume they are sending out other offers as people with the April 1 deadline pass this up.

I wanted to ride the Mich. waitlist too but this is too much of a blessing to pass up. Besides of COL in DC (which is still going to hurt -_-) this is almost as good as I could ask for. I'm really hoping I understand this right.

And thank you so much to the people that withdraw when they knew they weren't going to come. This is so huge for me.

Edit: AND ENROLLMENT IS FREE!?

(>'.')> <('.'<) (o'.')=O O=('.'o)

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:49 pm

hyakku wrote:Well, about to deposit right now. Just got an email offering 40k/yr from the Dean if I understand. It says with the need based grants it will total for EACH of three years so this is roughly 120k correct? I don't mean to be an idiot right now but I really want to be sure before I call family and everything. It says the deadline is April 9 so I assume they are sending out other offers as people with the April 1 deadline pass this up.

I wanted to ride the Mich. waitlist too but this is too much of a blessing to pass up. Besides of COL in DC (which is still going to hurt -_-) this is almost as good as I could ask for. I'm really hoping I understand this right.

And thank you so much to the people that withdraw when they knew they weren't going to come. This is so huge for me.

(>'.')> <('.'<) (o'.')=o o=('.'o)
Correct! It is 120k total! Congratulations! I talked to someone in admissions and they told me that I am not required to withdraw from other schools/waitlists. However, I should have been more specific because I am unsure if this means one can withdraw from GULC if a school from a waitlist offers admissions.

Just to clarify: The 120k is guaranteed. If your need goes down, the merit part of the scholly goes up. There are no stipulations besides not flunking out.

NDIrish2012

Bronze

Post by NDIrish2012 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:06 pm

KevinP wrote:
hyakku wrote:Well, about to deposit right now. Just got an email offering 40k/yr from the Dean if I understand. It says with the need based grants it will total for EACH of three years so this is roughly 120k correct? I don't mean to be an idiot right now but I really want to be sure before I call family and everything. It says the deadline is April 9 so I assume they are sending out other offers as people with the April 1 deadline pass this up.

(>'.')> <('.'<) (o'.')=o o=('.'o)
Correct! It is 120k total! Congratulations! I talked to someone in admissions and they told me that I am not required to withdraw from other schools/waitlists. However, I should have been more specific because I am unsure if this means one can withdraw from GULC if a school from a waitlist offers admissions.

Just to clarify: The 120k is guaranteed. If your need goes down, the merit part of the scholly goes up. There are no stipulations besides not flunking out.

I got the same email a few minutes ago, combining my previous need based grant with a merit scholarship for 35K/ year. Are you 100% sure about the bolded part? I was previously concerned, with my need based grant, that it had the potential to greatly fluctuate over the course of three years, so if what you say is true then, well, easy decision.

I am also curious about what exactly is required by signing the intent to enroll... does it mean you must attend, must withdraw from other schools, both?? I guess I'll call tomorrow to find out.

Either way, I'm super pumped!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”