In at GULC! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Attending?

Totally!
20%
Going somewhere else
31%
Still deciding
50%

Total votes: 222

msblaw89

Gold

Re: In at GULC!

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:34 pm

scholarships.[/quote]

Anyone know when the first wave of merit scholarships went out?[/quote]

One or two weeks ago

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:19 pm

msblaw89 wrote:scholarships.
Anyone know when the first wave of merit scholarships went out?[/quote]

One or two weeks ago[/quote]

Yeah I got mine 2 weeks and a Friday ago and I think only a dabble of people reported getting anything before that

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:36 am

avd90 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
emkay625 wrote:So, can we assume that people who will be receiving scholarships have already been notified?
I'd say merit based, yes.

I received an email saying I was an alternate, so I assume that means they selected the first round of ppl receiving scholarships already. Although, the email did say that more scholarships would go out after April 9th.
But I think the April 9th notifications will be the funds passed up by the initial group and given to alternates
As an alternate, I hope this is the case. While some of you guys might think this line of reasoning is absurd, I'm actually quite happy being an alternate and having (potentially) more time to mull over my decision, rather than being forced into it by April 1st. I'm still waiting for 5 schools, so I feel like the pressure is very much off to make the call.

edit: I assume there will be more offers, but for people who were not admitted in time for the first wave of merit scholarships.
i'm still waiting for 5 schools too! omg. hyscp...oh wait, also bc/davis/wake, but not concerned abt the outcomes there. good luck!

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Just received my award. Just shy of $19000 FA grant. I'm hoping that I will be able to get off of the alternate list and combine this with a scholly. If this is the case, I will definitely be in DC next year!

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:02 pm

avd90 wrote:Just received my award. Just shy of $19000 FA grant. I'm hoping that I will be able to get off of the alternate list and combine this with a scholly. If this is the case, I will definitely be in DC next year!
Is that similar to what you've gotten from other schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Sammy841 wrote:
avd90 wrote:Just received my award. Just shy of $19000 FA grant. I'm hoping that I will be able to get off of the alternate list and combine this with a scholly. If this is the case, I will definitely be in DC next year!
At this point, I'm really between Michigan and GULC, waiting (hoping... dreaming) for NYU, so I haven't really been as aggressive with my other acceptances. However, Michigan gave me much less, $13000 for the first year.

but that could make sense considering A2 is much less expensive

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:10 pm

avd90 wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:
At this point, I'm really between Michigan and GULC, waiting (hoping... dreaming) for NYU, so I haven't really been as aggressive with my other acceptances. However, Michigan gave me much less, $13000 for the first year.

Good luck with NYU! I wonder if schools negotiate on need-based grants? I received about $18,000/yr from Michigan and haven't heard anything from GULC yet. I'm wondering if it's more if I can take that back to Michigan or if there's no room to negotiate on grants.

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Sammy841 wrote:
avd90 wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:

Good luck with NYU! I wonder if schools negotiate on need-based grants? I received about $18,000/yr from Michigan and haven't heard anything from GULC yet. I'm wondering if it's more if I can take that back to Michigan or if there's no room to negotiate on grants.
I inquired with Michigan, they basically said no, but that i should try to negotiate for merit aid. They said you can only send them your merit info once, so not to waste it. So I'm hoping to get of GULC's alternate list, then send that...

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

southernsuperstar

Bronze

Post by southernsuperstar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Just got my financial aid 'award'...no grants, just loans.

This debt load is seriously intimidating. Ugh.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 pm

Got my email, password for needaccess isn't working, have to email a form + a copy of my driver's license to get my password reset.

Takes 1 business day :| :| :|. Hoping for something good since avd got such a nice grant.

imadude

New

Post by imadude » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but if all I see on my financial aid award is loans (don't see anything about grants), but it didn't even cover the full cost of tuition for the first year, should I assume that they're thinking I'll pay the remaining cost of tuition?

moxy

Bronze

Post by moxy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 pm

imadude wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but if all I see on my financial aid award is loans (don't see anything about grants), but it didn't even cover the full cost of tuition for the first year, should I assume that they're thinking I'll pay the remaining cost of tuition?
Maybe those loans are subsidized? I am sure you can find unsubsidized loans to cover the rest .. Grad Plus and the likes (My literacy level on these issues is very low .. so please don't quote me)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:26 pm

luxxe wrote:Got my email, password for needaccess isn't working, have to email a form + a copy of my driver's license to get my password reset.

Takes 1 business day :| :| :|. Hoping for something good since avd got such a nice grant.
JUST KIDDING.

They matched my Michigan scholarship like I asked :mrgreen:. $45k total.

Barring a NYU or Columbia acceptance, I'm coming to Georgetown!

southernsuperstar

Bronze

Post by southernsuperstar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 pm

moxy wrote:
imadude wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but if all I see on my financial aid award is loans (don't see anything about grants), but it didn't even cover the full cost of tuition for the first year, should I assume that they're thinking I'll pay the remaining cost of tuition?
Maybe those loans are subsidized? I am sure you can find unsubsidized loans to cover the rest .. Grad Plus and the likes (My literacy level on these issues is very low .. so please don't quote me)
The loans listed for mine include a Grad Plus loan so I'm not sure about that... (but I'm not super confident on my literacy regarding loans either...)

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Are people getting notice via email or mail?

southernsuperstar

Bronze

Post by southernsuperstar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Sammy841 wrote:Are people getting notice via email or mail?
email

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 pm

southernsuperstar wrote:
moxy wrote:
The loans listed for mine include a Grad Plus loan so I'm not sure about that... (but I'm not super confident on my literacy regarding loans either...)
Mine also includes grad plus + unsubsidized stafford. They will always offer you enough grants + loans to cover the full COA (according to their presentation at ASW) so I would call financial aid and ask.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 pm

luxxe wrote:
southernsuperstar wrote:
moxy wrote:
Mine also includes grad plus + unsubsidized stafford. They will always offer you enough grants + loans to cover the full COA (according to their presentation at ASW) so I would call financial aid and ask.
unsub/sub stafford loans only for up to 20,500...the remaining COA would have to be covered by GRAD plus. This is assuming you don't decide to take out private loans through a bank (I would not recommend...rates are usually variable. So they are low in the beginning, but then greatly increase)

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:41 pm

After sending them my cornell offer last week, I just got moved to the "alternate" group. IS that a good sign? I was in the original "merit consideration" group that got that first email.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:After sending them my cornell offer last week, I just got moved to the "alternate" group. IS that a good sign? I was in the original "merit consideration" group that got that first email.
Well, whether the alternate group get a merit scholarship is contingent upon how many people in the initial group pass it up

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Just got my award information. If I'm understanding correctly I think they awarded me a 2.5k/year scholarship (Dean's Tuition Grant)...? Not very much, but I was expecting zero, so that was nice.

EDIT: Am I misunderstanding? I haven't received any emails about merit scholarship consideration. Does everyone get this Dean's Tuition Grant?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:Just got my award information. If I'm understanding correctly I think they awarded me a 2.5k/year scholarship (Dean's Tuition Grant)...? Not very much, but I was expecting zero, so that was nice.

EDIT: Am I misunderstanding? I haven't received any emails about merit scholarship consideration. Does everyone get this Dean's Tuition Grant?
I didn't. Since it is a grant, I think it is needs based...not merit

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:57 pm

No email for me yet. :(

Mapleash

New

Post by Mapleash » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Anybody else get a "Dean's tuition grant 1st year"? I read on last year's thread that they recalculate every year in case there is a significant change in you finances. Makes me a little nervous.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”