In at Yale! Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seattleite23

Re: In at Yale! Class of 2015

Postby seattleite23 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Excited to join this group as of last night! Wish the Y/S ASWs weren't in conflict, makes a tough decision even more difficult!

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:24 pm

tgir wrote:
goodwillhunting wrote:
bleepbloop wrote:Hey Everyone...

Have any of you started thinking about housing for next year? I was looking through the admissions binder and there isn't too much there. I would really appreciate any insight you may have. Thanks!

I was just in New Haven last week to look at downtown housing. I'm pretty much set on off-campus housing, since most of Yale housing seems to be in Science Hill and I don't want to make the walk.

Apparently over a hundred law students living in New Haven Towers, though I've gotten mixed reviews about the place (studio ranges around $1000~$1100, according to the website). Does anyone know why New Haven Towers are so popular among law students? The studios don't seem much cheaper than other apartments in downtown.

I think they're popular for the reasons you'd expect: the management company markets to grad students; it's a nice big one-stop-shop, rather than having to hunt around at individual units; it's all-inclusive in terms of laundry, parking, etc.; and it's pretty close to the law school. Also, with such a critical mass of law students, it has become a self-perpetuating default choice for those who want to feel connected to the social scene. But I live far away from the Towers and still get invited to parties in the Towers all the time, so it's not like you'd be cut off from the social scene if you lived in a non-Towers downtown apartment.

Depending on your financial situation, living in the Towers can mean compromising on your budget elsewhere, by eating out less (almost never), for example. The spending allowance that YLS builds into the Cost of Attendance is...sufficient, but barely.

There are a number of Yale owned apartments downtown, but if you take the tour- you will quickly see that they are really more attuned to those who want claustrophobic dorm like facilities, pretty dirty and noisy, albeit well located. $ for $, you get more bang for your buck if you are willing to spend the time looking elsewhere.

First ask yourself:

Are you single, a couple, have kids? How many bedrooms do you want/need?
Do you want/need roommates?
Do you want a full service building with a concierge/doorman?
Do you want a gym on premises? Will you be around all year and want a pool or a usable backyard?
Do you care whether you have laundry on your floor, in your building, or in your unit?
Do you want the ability to have a large number of people over?
Do you want to avoid reliving the UG experience?
Is safety an issue- personally I'd avoid anything west of Dwight

Once you answer all these you can focus your search. Cost will vary greatly- with the top at 360 State Street:

Higher End: The Eli, Centrepointe, 360 State Street, 900 Chapel, Temple Square - you can find info about all online
Mid Level- Yale housing, the Towers, The Liberty, The Residences on Ninth Square, Cambridge Oxford Apartments, East Rock and Wooster Square- Green, leafy, unit in apartment in older house, with on street parking and 15 min walk to class.

There will be tons of private units advertised on Craigslist as well. Check before you come to ASW and arrange visits. Most of the best rentals are scooped up those weekends. Keep in mind that typically in New Haven you have to rent for 12 months, and it is your responsibility to sublet (usually at less than your monthly rent)or eat the cost of the summer. Leases typically start in July or August. You may be able to get a concession for a longer term lease. Also make sure to ask whether heat, gas, electricity, water, garbage, internet, cable TV, parking (usually not) are included. (At 360 State Streeet there is a "facility fee" even as a renter, but tell them you are a Law School Student and you get a big break.)

Also if you have a car, there is VERY limited on street permit parking downtown, but plenty in East Rock. Plan on spending $100+ a month to park off street downtown in public or private lots. And don't forget you are supposed to pay a tax on your car if you live in New Haven (.43 per $100 of your car's value) regardless of where it is registered.

Finally most units are rented unfurnished, but usually departing students are happy to sell you what's there REALLY cheap. ASK. But there is an IKEA nearby, and a Macy's where you can get pretty much anything you need should you decide to furnish.

Good luck!

annyong

Postby annyong » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:08 am

Can't believe I get to post in this thread now.

Also facing the conflict with Stanford's ASW. The Monday program is a good option for me in terms of the date but does anyone know how many people will be there?

roguewave19

Postby roguewave19 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:54 pm

I was so set on Harvard until I got the call recently... Now I have to completely restructure my thoughts! I've been doing hours of research between the two and general consensus is definitely Yale but anyone else struggling with this decision?

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:22 pm

It's not YLS necessarily. Read elsewhere.

What are your goals? Big Law, PI, Government, academia? NY, SF, CHI, DC, LA or Boston. Do you crave competition or prefer to just do your own thing? Hate the idea of first sememster grades? Are financial aid offers similar? Do you want uber competitive clerkships post grad?There are a whole host of reasons youmight prefer one over the other. GO to ASWs and then think it over.

mathrev

Postby mathrev » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:15 am

Hi Yall! Looking forward to meeting everyone at the ASW! It is pretty unreal to be posting in here :)

medialoop

Postby medialoop » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi all- I'm currently on the train from New Haven to Boston for Harvard's ASW, but I just finished up visiting Yale and thought I'd share my impressions, for anyone still on the fence.

First of all, everyone there seems really happy. A 1L told me that people basically range from "loving it to just liking it a lot." There's definitely an active social scene, and people party a lot more than I was expecting. Because the first semester is credit/fail and for the rest of the time, there's no curve, it really does seem like people aren't competitive and that most people just don't worry at all about grades. Apparently the women's organization on campus has a website where people can share their outlines, and the girl who gave me the tour of campus said that she doesn't ever make her own outlines for classes because the can just use the outlines previously prepared and shared by fellow students. She also said that she worked with a couple of students from U of Chicago this past summer, and that they seemed really stressed out. She said that the crazy grading system there made people really worried about grades, and that one of the two students really didn't like it there. (Of course that was coming from a biased source, my YLS tour guide, but I thought it was still somewhat useful for purposes of comparison.)

The job prospects are obviously good... a 2L I talked to said that the last person in his class to get a summer job just got one a couple of weeks ago, and that Yale really does make sure that everyone is taken care of. The people there are also doing really interesting things. One night I was there, a 2L was having a fundraiser for his political campaign (he's running for a low-level position in New Orleans, and if he wins, he'll just be flying down there a few times a year while also going to law school).

The clinical offerings seem amazing, the class I sat in on was really interesting, and the athletic facilities look like a cathedral (I wanna work out in a cathedral!). Also, all the chairs in the seminar rooms are engraved with the YLS seal. Yeah, it's a little absurd, but I like it.

It seems like one potential downside to the flexibility, awesome extracurriculars, and lack of grades is that it's pretty easy to get away with not going to class or doing all that much work. Of course the upside to this is that people don't seem very stressed out, and they take advantage of lots of clinics and other cool opportunities, but I guess I was expecting people to be a little more driven in terms of really preparing for class, going to class all the time, etc. I dunno, I have mixed feelings about this one, and I don't want to overstate it--in the class I sat in on, people definitely had interesting things to say and seemed prepared. Essentially, it seems like Yale is not the kick-your-ass boot camp that I hear law school is at many other places, which is mostly good, but also has its downsides.

New Haven is also an odd place, partly because there's literally a cop car on almost every block at all times. There was one time when I saw 5 cop cars within about 30 seconds: two parked with their lights flashing, one that drove by in one direction, another that drove by in the other direction, and another one parked across the street a block or so down. This is sort of good in that New Haven isn't the safest place, but it also just feels kind of weird to me. A little big brotherish.

But with all that said, overall I loved it. The people I met were smart and accomplished, but also very friendly, and everyone I met told me to go to YLS. Unless Harvard REALLY impresses me this weekend, I'll be sending my deposit in to Yale!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for the great review, medialoop! I can't wait to visit. I'm going to let my cycle play out, but I think it's effectively over at this point. Nothing I've read or heard makes me think any school has a chance of catching Yale.

myselfersonEsq

Postby myselfersonEsq » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:33 pm

LOL true story:

I go to a public university and a dude who went to Yale undergrad stalks me just to see where I park my car. He is bald, and feels important because he know how to walk.

You're gonna love Yale. Not just the stories. The reality of butt ugly women who wouldn't have sex with you if you were offerring them a billion dollars and considered it a favor.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Last edited by Ti Malice on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Those who have received a financial aid decision:

All you have to do is: (a) complete the Need Access form online; (b) complete the FAFSA form online; and (c) mail your tax information, right? Is it best to let the financial aid office know that you've completed the forms?

How long did it take to get a decision? I'm getting a bit anxious, since most of the other schools have seat deposit deadlines in April.

dot

Postby dot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Hmm, I don't see anything about mailing tax information for fin aid. Did I miss something?

annyong

Postby annyong » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:39 pm

dot wrote:Hmm, I don't see anything about mailing tax information for fin aid. Did I miss something?

Im fairly sure you only have to do this by May 1st in order to finalize your award?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:44 pm

annyong wrote:
dot wrote:Hmm, I don't see anything about mailing tax information for fin aid. Did I miss something?

Im fairly sure you only have to do this by May 1st in order to finalize your award?

Correct.

DecisionQuestions

Postby DecisionQuestions » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Does anyone have any experience w/ negotiating aid w/ Yale? I have basically narrowed down my decision to Yale and Stanford, and am leaning toward Yale, although I am going to wait until I visit both before making any final decisions. While I was quite happy when I received Yale's financial aid package, Stanford then gave me an outstanding package--in truth, it is an offer that I would almost not be able to refuse.

Given that, money aside, I am sincerely leaning toward Yale, do people know if I could negotiate with Yale? And if so, whom should I contact?

And how do I approach it? I don't want to come off as greedy or ungrateful, since Yale did put together such a nice package. But the difference between the current Yale and Stanford packages really is so significant that the quality of life for my family would be much higher if I went to Stanford in terms of the type of place/neighborhood would live in, even after taking into account the outrageous cost of rent in Palo Alto.

Pandora732

Postby Pandora732 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:04 pm

I've researched the TLS forums and asked a current student about this. Apparently you can negotiate with Yale, although nobody appears to have done it. I would contact Jill Stone and just tell her your situation in an honest way--that you'd prefer to go to Yale but Stanford's offer=better quality of life for fam, etc.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:18 am

Can someone let me know how Yale contacts people to notify of acceptance or rejection.

I'm assuming rejection is an email like with most schools.

Do they call first with acceptance?--If you don't answer do they follow up immediately with an email?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:57 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Can someone let me know how Yale contacts people to notify of acceptance or rejection.

I'm assuming rejection is an email like with most schools.

Do they call first with acceptance?--If you don't answer do they follow up immediately with an email?

They call for acceptances. If you don't answer your phone they apparently leave a message telling you to call them back. They mail rejections.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:07 am

In case anyone is going to try something similar, I thought I'd share my experience trying to negotiate financial aid using a Stanford grant. The woman I talked to in financial aid was extremely nice and responsive, but it quickly became clear that weren't in any way negotiating. She wanted me to come to Yale, and she wanted to find ways that they had misinterpreted the data to help me out, but she didn't treat me at all as if I had leverage.

It was actually very refreshing because it wasn't at all adversarial. After getting more thorough data from my parents, I may actually be getting some money, but it really seemed to have nothing to do with the money Stanford offered me. I wonder if the reason people think Y matches S has more to do with people who have bigger offers from S calling up and thus clearing up some things in the formula rather than Y actually "matching." It could also be that I'm just an abysmal negotiator or that my grant was small, but that was my experience.

Also, hopefully bumping this will have this week's new admits joining us! Congrats, guys!

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Did anyone recently get a small, square package in the mail from Yale - apparently it turned up at my apartment yesterday. I'm travelling and have no idea what it could be.

spek

Postby spek » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:21 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Did anyone recently get a small, square package in the mail from Yale - apparently it turned up at my apartment yesterday. I'm travelling and have no idea what it could be.

Yup! It's a travel mug and a note from Asha.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:36 pm

spek wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:Did anyone recently get a small, square package in the mail from Yale - apparently it turned up at my apartment yesterday. I'm travelling and have no idea what it could be.

Yup! It's a travel mug and a note from Asha.

Nice! I love law school souvenirs - Chicago handed out some very nice bags today at the ASW. Thanks for replying.

mathrev

Postby mathrev » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:08 am

Aww! I wanted it to be a surprise :( Are the notes personalized at least? I have yet to get to my package as well.

brown822015

Postby brown822015 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:12 am

mathrev wrote:Aww! I wanted it to be a surprise :( Are the notes personalized at least? I have yet to get to my package as well.

yeah...they're handwritten by Asha and extremely personalized.

mathrev

Postby mathrev » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:16 am

Awesome! I am so excited to open my package once again! Thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”