In at Yale! Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spek

Re: In at Yale! Class of 2015

Postby spek » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:23 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Has anyone contacted the major apartment buildings (New Haven Towers, et cetera) about tours during ASW? Some schools organize tours, but there is nothing listed on the Yale ASW schedule. I'm wondering if the major buildings will want us all to visit at the same time.

I called the Madison Tower to try to book an appointment. They said since they are usually very busy the Saturday of ASW they will have scheduled tours. I think people who want to see 1 bedrooms are supposed to go at 12pm and those interested in 2 bedrooms should arrive at 1pm.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:37 pm

spek wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:Has anyone contacted the major apartment buildings (New Haven Towers, et cetera) about tours during ASW? Some schools organize tours, but there is nothing listed on the Yale ASW schedule. I'm wondering if the major buildings will want us all to visit at the same time.

I called the Madison Tower to try to book an appointment. They said since they are usually very busy the Saturday of ASW they will have scheduled tours. I think people who want to see 1 bedrooms are supposed to go at 12pm and those interested in 2 bedrooms should arrive at 1pm.

Thanks for the information! Alas, I'll be on a train to NYC then, and I think that's the same time as the diversity reception also - hopefully they'll be willing to schedule another tour at some other time. The draft ASW doesn't list any activities on Thursday morning, so I'm tentatively planning/hoping to visit a couple of places then.

spek

Postby spek » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:08 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
spek wrote:

Thanks for the information! Alas, I'll be on a train to NYC then, and I think that's the same time as the diversity reception also - hopefully they'll be willing to schedule another tour at some other time. The draft ASW doesn't list any activities on Thursday morning, so I'm tentatively planning/hoping to visit a couple of places then.

Actually yeah the guy I spoke to mentioned that if I could get away from the events at on either Thursday or Friday I could take a private tour.

spek

Postby spek » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:25 pm

I just received my financial aid offer and it affirmed the fact that I'll definitely be at Yale next year. So excited for ASW!
Last edited by spek on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathrev

Postby mathrev » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm

spek wrote:I just received my financial aid offer and it affirmed the fact that I'll definitely be at Yale next year. Just need ASW to seal the deal!

Congrats Spek! See you at ASW :)

annyong

Postby annyong » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:43 pm

spek wrote:I just received my financial aid offer and it affirmed the fact that I'll definitely be at Yale next year. Just need ASW to seal the deal!

Congrats!! I felt the same way when I got mine, so excited for ASW!

beevs

Postby beevs » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:13 pm

In as of 10 minutes ago....

My thesis is due tomorrow. How am I supposed to concentrate tonight???

brown822015

Postby brown822015 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:17 pm

beevs wrote:In as of 10 minutes ago....

Hahaha they called at 10pm?? Craziness.

beevs

Postby beevs » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Right???? I actually missed the call and assumed it was too late to call back until I saw that the missed call was from 9:55pm. I suppose they're working especially late hours to get decisions out in time.

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 pm

beevs wrote:Right???? I actually missed the call and assumed it was too late to call back until I saw that the missed call was from 9:55pm. I suppose they're working especially late hours to get decisions out in time.

Congrats! That's really awesome!

spek

Postby spek » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:34 pm

beevs wrote:In as of 10 minutes ago....

Congratulations!! Good luck writing your thesis tonight :p

southwick

Postby southwick » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:09 pm

Congrats to all! RE: financial aid, how have offers been delivered--via email? And approximately how long after admission?

annyong

Postby annyong » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:11 pm

southwick wrote:Congrats to all! RE: financial aid, how have offers been delivered--via email? And approximately how long after admission?

Yes, delivered via email. And I can't speak in terms of time after admission, but it was within the timeframe they provided for after I submitted my financial aid info through need access and FAFSA (4-6 weeks I think?)

Also, super Congrats to the new admits!!!

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Hey everybody! Congrats to all the new admits. I am a 1L and wanted to offer a suggestion as far as housing goes. I ended up living in a place called "Kelly House." I was not impressed with Towers (function of coming from a lot better housing market). There are a few nice places there but I found them rather expensive.

Anyways, Kelly House has proved pretty awesome and I'm staying a second year. I know a bunch of my neighbors are graduating this year and their places will be opening up. Kelly's is on the corner of temple & crown (downtown) about two blocks from the Towers. Takes me ~12 mins to walk to class. There is not a single leaser but rather individual lease owners. If anyone wants me to check around with my neighbors to check on specifics (rent, etc.) I can. I pay $700 for my room in a three bedroom that included living room furniture, hardwood floors, a bar, etc.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions regarding accommodations in NH or questions about law school in general.

southwick

Postby southwick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:22 pm

@annyong, thanks!

abba12

Postby abba12 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Guys, did any of you receive any other mailings from YLS besides the binder? If so, how long did it take? I haven't gotten anything, and my university mailing services have really been dropping the ball lately, so I figured I'd ask.

Also, where do others stand on signing leases, especially if you're still deciding between schools? It seems like most people (the ones who want a decent place, anyway) get housing finalized on the weekend of ASW, which is a bit...intimidating.

wphr

Postby wphr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:49 pm

abba12 wrote:Guys, did any of you receive any other mailings from YLS besides the binder? If so, how long did it take? I haven't gotten anything, and my university mailing services have really been dropping the ball lately, so I figured I'd ask.

Also, where do others stand on signing leases, especially if you're still deciding between schools? It seems like most people (the ones who want a decent place, anyway) get housing finalized on the weekend of ASW, which is a bit...intimidating.

+1. It seems like there is supposed to be another package? But I haven't received mine yet either.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 pm

I just want to say that you REALLY should not live at New Haven Towers or University Towers. It's in an incredibly unsafe neighborhood and there are so many roaches you can't even walk around without stepping on one...

The real estate market is really cheap in New Haven, spring for the Eli (about 1000) or the Taft (also around 1000). If you're looking for something cheaper, there are good options in East Rock and on Howe Street (about 800).

mathrev

Postby mathrev » Thu May 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Curious1 wrote:

I just want to say that you REALLY should not live at New Haven Towers or University Towers. It's in an incredibly unsafe neighborhood and there are so many roaches you can't even walk around without stepping on one...

The real estate market is really cheap in New Haven, spring for the Eli (about 1000) or the Taft (also around 1000). If you're looking for something cheaper, there are good options in East Rock and on Howe Street (about 800).

The Eli is not 1000. It's 1260-1510 for a studio without utilities. I don't know anything about the Taft, but I think it's roughly along the same lines.

I have read reviews about the Towers, and I might agree with you--anecdotal evidence doesn't bode well for the Towers.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:51 pm

mathrev wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

The Eli is not 1000. It's 1260-1510 for a studio without utilities. I don't know anything about the Taft, but I think it's roughly along the same lines.

I have read reviews about the Towers, and I might agree with you--anecdotal evidence doesn't bode well for the Towers.

My friend just signed lease at the Taft for 1050.

And you might be right about the Eli--I misspoke. It is REALLY nice though. I think I was thinking of the Oxford and Cambridge.

Another option is 360 State--it's brand new but in the $1300 range.

mathrev

Postby mathrev » Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Curious1 wrote:
mathrev wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

My friend just signed lease at the Taft for 1050.

And you might be right about the Eli--I misspoke. It is REALLY nice though. I think I was thinking of the Oxford and Cambridge.

Another option is 360 State--it's brand new but in the $1300 range.

Not a bad deal on the Taft. I heard it's nice too. I do think the Eli is great because of how close it is. I feel the pain of any extra minute I have to endure in a New England winter.

360 State is very nice, but quite far away and seems to be outside of the city center unlike the Taft or Eli. 360 state street 1 bedroom is 1600-2136 without utilities. It is definitely the most expensive.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Not a bad deal on the Taft. I heard it's nice too. I do think the Eli is great because of how close it is. I feel the pain of any extra minute I have to endure in a New England winter.

360 State is very nice, but quite far away and seems to be outside of the city center unlike the Taft or Eli. 360 state street 1 bedroom is 1600-2136 without utilities. It is definitely the most expensive.

Ouch, 1600 is a lot in New Haven.

You should look at some of the smaller units west of Elm street, off of Park, Edgewood and Howe (Harrison Court, 100 Howe, etc.). They're usually better deals. You might be living in the same building with undergrads though.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu May 03, 2012 7:37 pm

East Rock, FTW! :D I am absolutely ecstatic about my future apartment and neighborhood.

Fortuitous

Postby Fortuitous » Thu May 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi! Admitted to YLS and have a few more days to choose between SLS and YLS! I feel like the culture at Yale is a better fit for me, but am drawn to Stanford's program in Organizational Behavior (PhD/MBA program). I haven't yet applied to Stanford's PhD program, but will be able to take classes in the business and psyc depts even if I am not accepted. Ultimately, I want to become a professor and want to choose the school that will maximize my chances for law teaching. Yale seems to have a huge leg up on Stanford and Harvard for law teaching, but Stanford's program in Organizational Behavior is ideal. I also would love to live on the West Coast, but not forever. Opinions?

beevs

Postby beevs » Sun May 06, 2012 8:13 pm

My impression is that YLS does have a significant advantage for academia beyond simple TLS-perpetuated stereotypes. I also don't think it will bar you from living on the West Coast if that's where you want to be. Yale's business school is, of course, no match for Stanford's, but it's psychology graduate school is only slightly below Stanford's, and there's nothing stopping you from taking classes there. Then again, even without the PHD/MBA program, the quarter system at Stanford will allow you to take more courses in other schools.

If law is your priority, as it seems to be since you want to teach law, I think YLS may be the better place for you. At the same time, I imagine there is some productive intersection of your interests if you would want to pursue two more degrees, so Stanford seems like it would be great too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”