In at Yale! Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spek

Bronze

Re: In at Yale! Class of 2015

Post by spek » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:00 pm

mathrev wrote:Aww! I wanted it to be a surprise :( Are the notes personalized at least? I have yet to get to my package as well.
Oh, sorry! Didn't mean to ruin your suprise :s

freddie

New

Post by freddie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Not to beat a dead horse (this issue has come up already), but how are folks thinking about resolving the SLS/YLS admitted student program overlap? I considered trying to attend both, but the travel schedule would be hellacious and would result in missed events and no time to explore apartment options. On one hand, the fact that I am leaning much more heavily towards YLS makes me think that visiting to confirm should be the priority. But on the other hand, since I am already so taken with YLS, it could be important to give SLS a shot. Thoughts?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:45 pm

freddie wrote:Not to beat a dead horse (this issue has come up already), but how are folks thinking about resolving the SLS/YLS admitted student program overlap? I considered trying to attend both, but the travel schedule would be hellacious and would result in missed events and no time to explore apartment options. On one hand, the fact that I am leaning much more heavily towards YLS makes me think that visiting to confirm should be the priority. But on the other hand, since I am already so taken with YLS, it could be important to give SLS a shot. Thoughts?
I'm just going to Yale. If I went to Stanford ASW I might get seduced by the pretty pretty palm trees and never come back.

wphr

New

Post by wphr » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 pm

I just received an acceptance call yesterday night!
Totally unexpected and so so so thankful.
When did people get emails after the acceptance call?
I have been having problems with my email, so I am a bit worried...
thanks!

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Congrats!!! I got my email about 15 minutes or less after the phone call, so I would expect that you should have gotten it by now.

In other news, I'm going to Yale for certain :) I got to briefly visit and I loved it and the students that I talked to were fantastic and so down to earth. For the sake of anonymity, I'll leave out a detailed discussion of it here, but will be glad to answer any questions others have over PM to help in the decision making.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wphr

New

Post by wphr » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks!!! I can't wait to go visit!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Congrats, wphr!

By the way, has anyone heard from their current student "buddy" yet? Does anyone know if the pairings have been made? It's been about five weeks since I did the quick phone survey with the Admissions Office, and I've yet to hear anything from anyone.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Congrats, wphr!

By the way, has anyone heard from their current student "buddy" yet? Does anyone know if the pairings have been made? It's been about five weeks since I did the quick phone survey with the Admissions Office, and I've yet to hear anything from anyone.
Yeah, I heard from someone probably less than a week after doing the survey. If you want to talk someone, I'd call up the admissions office and ask. My guess is your "buddy" just forgot to email/call you.

Who's going to be at ASW in a couple weeks? I'm pretty excited.

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Congrats, wphr!

It took quite a while for me to hear from my buddy but as Elston Gunn said I'm sure you could call and ask about it.

I'll be at ASW too, can't wait!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:34 pm

I heard very quickly from my student "buddy," and got an email response from them fairly fast as well, though I'm sure it depends on the point in the semester they're being asked to contact you. Also, if there's a specific decision you're making and want to get a student perspective on it, just ask the admissions office and there will most likely be someone for you to be put in contact with :)

I will also be at ASW - super excited, it's coming so quickly!

brettashley

New

Post by brettashley » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 pm

....I just got off the phone with Craig Janecek. I'd missed a call from him earlier this afternoon (my phone has this thing where it likes to turn off randomly) and he left a voice mail asking me to call him back. I did (shaking so hard I couldn't dial so my friend had to dial for me) and he informed me that they'd received my email about the impending Chicago scholarship deadline and so he'd like to tell me that I'd been admitted to Yale.

And then after I tried really hard not to burst into tears, I came home to an email from them. Is there any other way I can check my admitted status? I'm feeling a little like this might all be an elaborate prank or something.

mathrev

New

Post by mathrev » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Y
brettashley wrote:....I just got off the phone with Craig Janecek. I'd missed a call from him earlier this afternoon (my phone has this thing where it likes to turn off randomly) and he left a voice mail asking me to call him back. I did (shaking so hard I couldn't dial so my friend had to dial for me) and he informed me that they'd received my email about the impending Chicago scholarship deadline and so he'd like to tell me that I'd been admitted to Yale.

And then after I tried really hard not to burst into tears, I came home to an email from them. Is there any other way I can check my admitted status? I'm feeling a little like this might all be an elaborate prank or something.
You've been accepted, just chill out :) Congrats!

noggo10

New

Post by noggo10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:49 pm

Congrats! Would you mind sharing application dates and when you sent the email/what you said? If not in this thread PM would be appreciated. I'm in a similar situation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brettashley

New

Post by brettashley » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:59 pm

mathrev wrote:
You've been accepted, just chill out :) Congrats!
Haha yeah I know, it just doesn't feel real at all!

And I don't mind sharing dates. Submitted 12/20, crickets until today. I sent the email about the Chi scholarship on March 30 during Chi's ASW and got a form email ("Thank you for your interest in Yale Law School," etc) back from them right away. I can PM you the text of the email.

Edited because I got the response from Stanford confused with the response from Yale.

noggo10

New

Post by noggo10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks and congrats again! If you wouldn't mind pming me the text of the email that would be great. Yale is my #1 choice I'm just getting anxious with deadlines for scholarships!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:10 pm

brettashley wrote:And then after I tried really hard not to burst into tears, I came home to an email from them. Is there any other way I can check my admitted status? I'm feeling a little like this might all be an elaborate prank or something.
I felt exactly the same way, and still kind of do, three or four weeks later - I keep thinking someone is going to tell me it was a mistake.

If you've been sent the link to the facebook group, getting admitted to that is publicly-verifiable confirmation. You probably won't get your accepted student's folder in the mail for a week or so.

Also, the facebook group has a link to pdf versions of the admitted students' materials - you should check out the ASW schedule, since it's coming up soon.

Lastly, congrats!

brettashley

New

Post by brettashley » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:17 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
brettashley wrote:And then after I tried really hard not to burst into tears, I came home to an email from them. Is there any other way I can check my admitted status? I'm feeling a little like this might all be an elaborate prank or something.
I felt exactly the same way, and still kind of do, three or four weeks later - I keep thinking someone is going to tell me it was a mistake.

If you've been sent the link to the facebook group, getting admitted to that is publicly-verifiable confirmation. You probably won't get your accepted student's folder in the mail for a week or so.

Also, the facebook group has a link to pdf versions of the admitted students' materials - you should check out the ASW schedule, since it's coming up soon.

Lastly, congrats!
Thank you! Nervously awaiting acceptance into a facebook group is an entirely new feeling for me haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SlothMonkey

New

Post by SlothMonkey » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Hello All,

I just got the call from Craig this afternoon as well! I had also sent in an email about the Rubenstein, and he referenced it and said he had good news. I sort of went nuts. He asked if I had any questions, and I said I was too happy to ask anything intelligent. I see that a bunch of you have visited Yale already. I'll be going this week. For those of you who have visited already, is there anything I should make sure to do while there? What experiences while visiting were especially valuable in helping you make an admissions decision? What were your visiting experiences like?

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:55 pm

SlothMonkey wrote:Hello All,

I just got the call from Craig this afternoon as well! I had also sent in an email about the Rubenstein, and he referenced it and said he had good news. I sort of went nuts. He asked if I had any questions, and I said I was too happy to ask anything intelligent. I see that a bunch of you have visited Yale already. I'll be going this week. For those of you who have visited already, is there anything I should make sure to do while there? What experiences while visiting were especially valuable in helping you make an admissions decision? What were your visiting experiences like?
First off, congrats!! And yeah, I agree with AP - it's a feeling of disbelief that lingers!

I visited recently and loved my visit, though I didn't exactly get to "do" much while I was there - I took a tour and had time to walk around the city, but I think my favorite part of the visit and what solidified my decision was getting to sit in the law school with current students and talk casually with them about their experience for over an hour. The students answered all my questions happily and encouraged me to ask whatever I wanted - at the end of the day I felt completely comfortable there and was sold on the decision (though I was already leaning strongly towards Yale anyways). Again, if you want more detailed info or maybe some pictures, I'll be glad to respond with specifics over PM.

For those of you who were just admitted, I'd also recommend checking out the videos of some of the Q & A's that happened over the past three days that should be posted on the Facebook page, especially the one today from current students. There have also been (less exciting, but helpful) Q&A's recorded from career services and the financial aid office with good information as well.

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 pm

annyong wrote:

First off, congrats!! And yeah, I agree with AP - it's a feeling of disbelief that lingers!

I visited recently and loved my visit, though I didn't exactly get to "do" much while I was there - I took a tour and had time to walk around the city, but I think my favorite part of the visit and what solidified my decision was getting to sit in the law school with current students and talk casually with them about their experience for over an hour. The students answered all my questions happily and encouraged me to ask whatever I wanted - at the end of the day I felt completely comfortable there and was sold on the decision (though I was already leaning strongly towards Yale anyways). Again, if you want more detailed info or maybe some pictures, I'll be glad to respond with specifics over PM.

For those of you who were just admitted, I'd also recommend checking out the videos of some of the Q & A's that happened over the past three days that should be posted on the Facebook page, especially the one today from current students. There have also been (less exciting, but helpful) Q&A's recorded from career services and the financial aid office with good information as well.

Do you know where I can find the recording? Craig hasn't posted it yet and I missed the session with current students.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:34 pm

Add me to the list of people who still half doesn't believe it's true--and I've been in since Christmas. Maybe actually being at ASW will make it seem a little more real.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

abba12

New

Post by abba12 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Has anyone else considered trying to make it to both Stanford's and Yale's ASW? I'm hesitantly looking at some options for flying out super early Saturday morning from Connecticut to California (and then back to the East Coast). HYS should really learn to coordinate better :-/

wphr

New

Post by wphr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:38 pm

spek wrote:
annyong wrote:

Do you know where I can find the recording? Craig hasn't posted it yet and I missed the session with current students.
Haha yes. I can't believe it either. I have to go to the YLS facebook page everyday now to remind myself...
and spek! you can find the links on the YLS 2015 facebook page :) they've all been posted now.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Has anyone contacted the major apartment buildings (New Haven Towers, et cetera) about tours during ASW? Some schools organize tours, but there is nothing listed on the Yale ASW schedule. I'm wondering if the major buildings will want us all to visit at the same time.

mathrev

New

Post by mathrev » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:10 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Has anyone contacted the major apartment buildings (New Haven Towers, et cetera) about tours during ASW? Some schools organize tours, but there is nothing listed on the Yale ASW schedule. I'm wondering if the major buildings will want us all to visit at the same time.
You are right. I am curious about this too. I have only looked online and read reviews. I am trying to figure out if the Towers are really worth it....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”