In at Yale! Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tgir

Bronze

Re: In at Yale! Class of 2015

Post by tgir » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:05 pm

goodwillhunting wrote: tgir, I heard that only a small number of students live in Yale housing (either a dorm or Yale-owned apartment). Is that by choice (as in, no one wants to live in Yale housing) or because there are few slots available for YLS people? It seems like the rent is much lower at Yale housing than at private-owned ones.

Also, I think a lot of people might be interested in this given the huge number of cross-admits: how would you compare Yale and Harvard if I want to study corporate law? I've talked to some non-law school people so far, and they've all brought up the fact that Harvard has higher ranked and bigger economics department and business school (I don't know how that might affect the study of corporate law at the law school).
It's a combination of both factors. The problem really isn't that there aren't enough slots; rather, there aren't enough slots worth choosing. Yale undergrads have everything totally set for them, but Yale grad housing is iffy. Yale owns a ton of little properties around New Haven, along with a few big complexes. In the admitted student binder, there will be links to a website that shows all these options. If you look into things early and are proactive, there shouldn't be any problem whatsoever finding Yale housing. But most people just avoid it altogether because non-Yale options are better. Yes, there are some very cheap Yale rentals, but keep in mind that these tend to be old, small, dorm-like setups--in other words, you'll be living like you're in college. If you want a kitchen and some other basic amenities, Yale stuff gets as expensive as anywhere else. Lots of people go for "the towers," which is a collective term for several highrise complexes downtown. In my view, these places aren't worth the price. People will pay upwards of $1500 for some one-bedrooms. But they are very nice, and convenient if you want to be very involved in the 1L social scene. I would look more broadly, though, to regions north of campus, like East Rock or the Prospect St. corridor. A typical East Rock rental is like a 3-bedroom apartment in a house, with rent in the $2000 range ($600-800 per person). The most important thing to keep in mind is that New Haven has an amazing diversity of housing options, in terms of price, location, size, age, and amenities. Don't just jump on the first reasonable deal that comes your way, unless you've explored all the options.

If you ask me, Harvard's econ department and business school should be nearly irrelevant in your calculation. There are indeed some opportunities to cross-register, but my impression has been that this is quite rare at both schools and, more importantly, of little importance in terms of how marketable you are to employers. That said, if you're planning to do JD/MBA (not counting nonprofit MBA stuff, where Yale SOM does quite well), Harvard is the clear choice--although, as you've probably noticed elsewhere on TLS, most people think that a JD/MBA does not lead to corporate law any more than a plain old JD does. Both schools have sufficient course offerings in corporate law and are amazingly well connected to the corporate law pipelines. I can't imagine a hiring committee at a corporate law firm thinking, "I wonder if he went to Yale because he's not actually as interested in corporate law as those Harvard folks...." Yale has the academic/too-good-for-firms reputation, yes, but firms still loooooove to hire YLSers. If you take the basic corporate courses and can tell a story about why you want to be a corporate lawyer, Yale may actually be better than Harvard for bagging a corporate job (smaller class, etc.).

Perhaps I might be misunderstanding your question, though. If you want to study corporate law for the purpose of studying corporate law, there will almost certainly be more course offerings at Harvard (as with any area of law). For me, that wouldn't be a big consideration, especially since Yale has got all the biggies covered anyway. And if you have a strong intellectual (dare I say academic?) interest in corporate law, I'm sure someone can link you to evidence of Yale's superior performance in legal academia.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Checking in. Man, so so excited for this. I'd say I'm 95% set on Yale, but we'll see!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Welcome EG! I knew I'd see you here by Christmas!

And thanks again tgir for sharing your thoughts with us.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:55 am

MumofCad wrote:Welcome EG! I knew I'd see you here by Christmas!

Thanks! It was the perfect Christmas present.

It's kind of intimidating looking at the people in the FB group. Except for the person I'm assuming is you, who hasn't made her school public, I think I'm one of only two people who didn't go to either a super-prestigious UG or a merely very prestigious UG.

ETA: If anyone wants to friend me, I'm the one that went to the school you've never heard of in the state you've never been to.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:13 am

Elston Gunn wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Welcome EG! I knew I'd see you here by Christmas!

Thanks! It was the perfect Christmas present.

It's kind of intimidating looking at the people in the FB group. Except for the person I'm assuming is you, who hasn't made her school public, I think I'm one of only two people who didn't go to either a super-prestigious UG or a merely very prestigious UG.

ETA: If anyone wants to friend me, I'm the one that went to the school you've never heard of in the state you've never been to.
Oh don't worry. I don't know where my UG really falls on the prestige calculator. I consider it prestigious being from rural Oregon, but I have a feeling in TLS terms it is not considered as such. I'm not even sure its ranked in the top 100, but I think its the ideal school to study international relations and I LOVE pretty much everything about it and my experiences there. Best school ever. Mostly, I love that I didn't have to come out with debt though lol! So you won't be the only non-Ivy, not by a long shot!!! I feel pretty sure that it will continue to broaden too as people come out of faculty review and that the end result will be a diverse class. Its natural that these quick admits will have been through the cauldron both in the LSAT and the GPA test or just be like you and completely ace the LSAT or just be like me and be really really lucky!
Last edited by MumofCad on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goodwillhunting

New

Post by goodwillhunting » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:37 pm

lol, I just noticed that Asha wasn't in the FB group when she just got added today.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:40 pm

goodwillhunting wrote:lol, I just noticed that Asha wasn't in the FB group when she just got added today.
I'm really FB illiterate, but it seemed like she won't even let you give her a friend request? Major bummer.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:56 pm

hey guys, for those of you who have gotten the packets did it mention anything about the march asw date?

I remember you guys said the official asw was in april, but there was something else in march...does anybody know what it is/dates for it? Thanks

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:42 pm

thederangedwang wrote:hey guys, for those of you who have gotten the packets did it mention anything about the march asw date?

I remember you guys said the official asw was in april, but there was something else in march...does anybody know what it is/dates for it? Thanks
Yeah, it's not a full ASW though - it's called the "Monday Program" and it's on Mar. 26.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arewehavingfunyet

New

Post by arewehavingfunyet » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:37 pm

Wow, this exists! Well I'm in as of Monday and still elated. I am, however, disappointed that the March ASW is not a full one. It's tough to turn down a free trip to Palo Alto in April...

bleepbloop

New

Post by bleepbloop » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Last edited by bleepbloop on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodwillhunting

New

Post by goodwillhunting » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 am

bleepbloop wrote:Hey Everyone...

Have any of you started thinking about housing for next year? I was looking through the admissions binder and there isn't too much there. I would really appreciate any insight you may have. Thanks!

I was just in New Haven last week to look at downtown housing. I'm pretty much set on off-campus housing, since most of Yale housing seems to be in Science Hill and I don't want to make the walk.

Apparently over a hundred law students living in New Haven Towers, though I've gotten mixed reviews about the place (studio ranges around $1000~$1100, according to the website). Does anyone know why New Haven Towers are so popular among law students? The studios don't seem much cheaper than other apartments in downtown.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:27 pm

goodwillhunting wrote:
bleepbloop wrote:Hey Everyone...

Have any of you started thinking about housing for next year? I was looking through the admissions binder and there isn't too much there. I would really appreciate any insight you may have. Thanks!

I was just in New Haven last week to look at downtown housing. I'm pretty much set on off-campus housing, since most of Yale housing seems to be in Science Hill and I don't want to make the walk.

Apparently over a hundred law students living in New Haven Towers, though I've gotten mixed reviews about the place (studio ranges around $1000~$1100, according to the website). Does anyone know why New Haven Towers are so popular among law students? The studios don't seem much cheaper than other apartments in downtown.
I think they're popular for the reasons you'd expect: the management company markets to grad students; it's a nice big one-stop-shop, rather than having to hunt around at individual units; it's all-inclusive in terms of laundry, parking, etc.; and it's pretty close to the law school. Also, with such a critical mass of law students, it has become a self-perpetuating default choice for those who want to feel connected to the social scene. But I live far away from the Towers and still get invited to parties in the Towers all the time, so it's not like you'd be cut off from the social scene if you lived in a non-Towers downtown apartment.

Depending on your financial situation, living in the Towers can mean compromising on your budget elsewhere, by eating out less (almost never), for example. The spending allowance that YLS builds into the Cost of Attendance is...sufficient, but barely.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Tag :)

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:38 pm

spek wrote:Tag :)

YAY!!! COngrats!!!!!!

johnkim1982

New

Post by johnkim1982 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:08 am

Got the call from 203 today before the Super Bowl! I was really happy.

Then I started doing some research and came across this: "The contribution from the spouse's annual earnings will be 70% of the spouse's after-tax income with a $12,500 minimum contribution." I wasn't so happy anymore.

Does anyone (especially older, married students) have any insight on how this works with loans and grants?

I'm comparing this to a full-ride at Columbia, and it just makes me think long and hard about Yale.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:20 am

johnkim1982 wrote:Got the call from 203 today before the Super Bowl! I was really happy.

Then I started doing some research and came across this: "The contribution from the spouse's annual earnings will be 70% of the spouse's after-tax income with a $12,500 minimum contribution." I wasn't so happy anymore.

Does anyone (especially older, married students) have any insight on how this works with loans and grants?

I'm comparing this to a full-ride at Columbia, and it just makes me think long and hard about Yale.
You need to do more research on what that means. Remember that your COL is calculated above and beyond tuition. Its something like $70k and a little more I believe for married students. Then they subtract that minimum from that amount. In other words, your spouse is supposed to make at least 12500 that they can contribute each year to things like rent and what not. Yale is very generous, much more so than other schools. Harvard will shockingly take into account your equity in your primary residence and spouse's 401k (yeah, penalties and all they expect you to withdraw every year from it in school and during the LIPP or come up with the $$ some other way). Yale does neither. I spent a few hours emailing and talking on the phone with financial aid departments last week and it was very illuminating. All the schools were more than happy to answer any questions I had. If you are wondering how this will effect you, I highly recommend getting your fin aid stuff in quick with estimates or calling and asking the questions pertinent to your situation. It really took alot of stress off me to know more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Happy to be able to join the conversation here!

Pandora732

New

Post by Pandora732 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi everyone!

Joining the conversation and already browsing craigslist for east rock housing :)

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Congrats Schola and pandora!

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:17 pm

For Y/S cross admits: what are you guys planning on doing re ASWs?

Also does anyone know Yale's reimbursement policy? I'm not at a computer right now and would appreciate a summary of their policy.
Last edited by spek on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bleepbloop

New

Post by bleepbloop » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Last edited by bleepbloop on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:27 pm

bleepbloop wrote:
spek wrote:For Y/S cross admits: what are you guys planning on doing re ASWs?

Also does anyone know Yale's reimbursement policy? I'm not at a computer right now and would appreciate a sumary of their policy.
I'm probably not going to end up going to Stanford's ASW which is a shame because I've heard it's pretty fun. I wish they wouldn't have scheduled them on the same weekend considering there is probably a large amount of cross-admits.
Also probably going to have to skip Stanford's ASW. Maybe all the cross-admits can schedule our own fun time in Stanford to check out the school.

Did you all see that we have a mock class at all of these things? Our first chance to make fools of ourselves in front of each other! Fun!

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Just got Yale's huge binder. So exciting!

johnkim1982

New

Post by johnkim1982 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi guys:

The more I look into the possibility of being a Yale law student, the more excited I get. I actually booked my flights to Stanford's ASW a while back, though, so it looks like I might have to go the Monday program in March. Is anyone going to that one, or will I be one of like 20 people for that event?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”