In at Yale! Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ladybug89

Bronze

In at Yale! Class of 2015

Post by ladybug89 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:41 pm

I know there's an official FB group but I thought we might want to have a place to speak more freely (although at this point it's not that hard to figure out who some of us are. ah well, we can pretend we're anonymous!).

Haven't gotten my admit binder and am sad they haven't posted the link on the fb group =(

So what's everyone thinking decision-wise? Set on Yale, or considering H/S/scholarships?

[edited for no reason]
Last edited by ladybug89 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

n4elise

New

Re: In at Yale! Class of 2015

Post by n4elise » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:07 pm

haha, i know Asha trolls the forums sometimes though! according to her latest post on the 203 blog, as i recall. (OH HAI ASHA, we love you!! :D)

but that aside.. my heart for one is feeling pretty set on yale. now that a week's gone by since the call, i should probably start thinking along more rational/comprehensive lines than the sheer elation of that afterglow, but.... i somehow just can't see myself passing yale up. and it's not as if YLS doesn't have a ton of perfectly rational reasons in its favor anyhow!

i will definitely be at the ASWs for (at least, and probably only) both YLS and HLS, though. how about everyone else??

goodwillhunting

New

Post by goodwillhunting » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 pm

When do you think binders will arrive for 12/9 admits? Craig said they will be sent out "later next week" (i.e. yesterday or today), so hopefully we'll get them early next week depending on location?

p.s. Asha and Craig, we love you!

n4elise

New

Post by n4elise » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:20 pm

yeah, i'm hoping they come soon.... also, anyone know whether they'll be coming to the addresses that we listed as current or permanent? i'm realizing that if it's the former, then unless mine comes within the next few days, my materials will be left all cold and lonely for a whole month in my college mailbox :(

i probably should have asked Craig this question earlier on the phone haha.... no questions came to mind at all for me last friday. i could ask YLS now, but i figure the stuff's been good and sent by this point.

edited to reflect that i'm now figuring it's coming to the current, judging from the mailing from HLS. that would make sense i suppose. oh well...

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:23 am

Didn't think I'd really have to consider Yale, since I was pretty sure I would not be admitted. I stopped in for a visit on my way back from Harvard, but didn't spend the time really thinking about it in a systematic way since...well, I didn't think I'd get in and didn't want to sell myself on the unobtainable. I've got some serious research in my future!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:17 am

MumofCad wrote:Didn't think I'd really have to consider Yale, since I was pretty sure I would not be admitted. I stopped in for a visit on my way back from Harvard, but didn't spend the time really thinking about it in a systematic way since...well, I didn't think I'd get in and didn't want to sell myself on the unobtainable. I've got some serious research in my future!
Really? TLSers have been predicting you'd get in for a while now...glad everyone was right!

and same for me -- I was doing my research mostly on Harvard because I figured that was my most realistic option. but now there's so much researching/thinking that has to be done!

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:07 am

MumOfCad, which of HYS would you choose? Or which of HS, since those are your options right now?

goodwillhunting

New

Post by goodwillhunting » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:19 am

LaCumparsita wrote:MumOfCad, which of HYS would you choose? Or which of HS, since those are your options right now?
Her options are actually HYS now :)

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:03 am

Ah, clearly I missed the memo. Congrats! Mine are H as of now, so makes my decision pretty easy :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:03 am

LaCumparsita wrote:MumOfCad, which of HYS would you choose?
Wow - questions you never thought you'd have to answer. I'm leaning toward Harvard, but I haven't really looked seriously at either Stanford or Yale yet in the same way. I figured at the outset that only one would let me in before Christmas and that would make it really easy and "meant to be." I'm also still very seriously considering Michigan and Chicago (obviously not even in at Chicago yet) depending on the scholarships. Its all so new, I need to talk it all over with my husband and really figure out the numbers, etc. Right now...I'm not really processing. But I did recover this morning enough to join the Yale FB group. What a great Christmas this will be - a new baby and lots of things to think about while I'm getting up every hour throughout the night.

Either way, I'm not too worried about where I end up between the 3 (if that's where I end up). Its not like you can go wrong on this one. They are all great schools with great opportunities, so I don't feel a ton of pressure beyond....you know, moving, buying a house, etc.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Might want to switch that to "among the three" so that your Yale acceptance isn't revoked. :D Congratulations !

P.S. If you want to experience more than one of Harvard, Yale & Stanford, then consider visiting for a semester or year at Yale or a year at Harvard.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:59 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Might want to switch that to "among the three" so that your Yale acceptance isn't revoked. :D Congratulations !

P.S. If you want to experience more than one of Harvard, Yale & Stanford, then consider visiting for a semester or year at Yale or a year at Harvard.
Hahaha - thanks! T

his is by far not my worst grammar mistake on an online forum. I'm ok with it. In fact, I'm known in casual conversation to make up entirely new words. My use of the English language....is better when edited several times.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:33 am

I deferred last cycle. So hey!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goodwillhunting

New

Post by goodwillhunting » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:05 pm

For those with more experience in apartment hunting, should I start doing that now? I want to put down a waitlist deposit, but dorm applications don't open until April. Anyone know how likely it is to get a Yale housing? It seems like it's awfully hard to get.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:31 pm

No idea on the housing. Can anyone tell if I'm part of the facebook group yet? I'm pretty sure you can figure out who I am lol....I can't find it when I type Yale Law Class of 2015 in the search box so I think I'm probably pending. If they aren't at work again till Jan, I might have a long wait!

ETA: Never mind. I'm not in it yet. I finally found the link from the email. This switch to google is confusing me since some emails forwarded and some didn't, I can't find anything!
Last edited by MumofCad on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

pereatmundus

New

Post by pereatmundus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:17 pm

goodwillhunting wrote:For those with more experience in apartment hunting, should I start doing that now? I want to put down a waitlist deposit, but dorm applications don't open until April. Anyone know how likely it is to get a Yale housing? It seems like it's awfully hard to get.
1L here...

Most people I know got their housing around admit weekend in April.... I got mine a little afterward. There's no rush

n4elise

New

Post by n4elise » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:28 pm

got the binder in the mail today!! :D
sooo glad i'm still on campus to receive it before break. hope you all receive yours soon too! it's so big and shiny and pretty... flipping through it, i feel like a kid in a very prestigious candy store...

new faces in the facebook group, finally! MoC, i see you there (i think?)!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:34 pm

n4elise wrote:got the binder in the mail today!! :D
sooo glad i'm still on campus to receive it before break. hope you all receive yours soon too! it's so big and shiny and pretty... flipping through it, i feel like a kid in a very prestigious candy store...

new faces in the facebook group, finally! MoC, i see you there (i think?)!
Oh yeah! You are right! I was approved a little bit ago while I was downstairs sorting baby clothing. Looks like it doubled today.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Yay! New potential classmates AND the binder-link posted! This is a great day, though I'm probs not going to get anything done at work today. MoC, your kids are so cute.

goodwillhunting- housing in New Haven is not hard to get, so no need to worry about it just yet.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Congrats, everyone!

1L at YLS here, willing to answer questions about the school, or to discuss Y/H/S/scholarships. I'll reply on this thread so that everyone can see, but if you really want a 100% candid, uncensored answer to a question, PM me.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks! We're like the Brady Brunch - daughter is all husband, son is all me, but their personalities are reversed.
tgir wrote:Congrats, everyone!

1L at YLS here, willing to answer questions about the school, or to discuss Y/H/S/scholarships. I'll reply on this thread so that everyone can see, but if you really want a 100% candid, uncensored answer to a question, PM me.
Thanks for offering this!

Did you end up with fin aid packages from all 3 during your cycle? Can you talk in general terms about how they compared to one another?

Do you find alot to do in New Haven when you aren't studying? Does anyone commute in from outer cities like Fairfield so their SO can work in NY?

Any thoughts on pretty much anything are more than welcome!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:00 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Thanks for offering this!

Did you end up with fin aid packages from all 3 during your cycle? Can you talk in general terms about how they compared to one another?

Do you find alot to do in New Haven when you aren't studying? Does anyone commute in from outer cities like Fairfield so their SO can work in NY?

Any thoughts on pretty much anything are more than welcome!
I did compare financial aid packages. One thing to look for is what the "base loan" amount is. This is the amount that everyone, regardless of financial circumstances, is expected to contribute each year. For most people, this will be primarily loans. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I remember that Stanford's was the lowest (i.e. most generous), Yale's was not far behind, and Harvard's was the highest (least generous). They're all in the $20-30k per year range, I believe. And then each school covers you fully with grants equal to ((COA - base loan) - additional resources).

Beyond that, there are some slight differences in how resources are calculated. Most notably, Harvard, unlike Yale or Stanford, requires you to contribute 50% of your money in retirement/IRA/401k accounts, which is annoying. I think they also have slightly different terms for the amount of money you're allowed to keep in cash and not contribute (based on years in the workforce, etc.). In general, though, you're going to be spending yourself down to almost nothing in cash in order to attend all 3. Also, take a look at the spousal contribution and childcare expense provisions; they weren't relevant for me, but they might be for you.

All of the above also applies for the LRAP programs, which should be carefully scrutinized. COAP at Yale is pretty awesome in terms of flexibility (no categories of employment excluded), but actually is slightly less generous on some terms than Stanford's LRAP for those who are in actual bona fide public interest jobs (for example, Stanford exempts $130,000 in assets from analysis altogether; Yale's formula is vague and less comforting). Pay special attention to the provision in COAP that uses a 15-year repayment schedule for the first 5 years of the program and then uses a 5-year repayment schedule for the last 5 years. It will make a HUGE difference in the payouts if you plan to have a brief or episodic career in low-paying work. Most people agree that Harvard's LIPP is the least generous of the 3. One benefit is that, unlike Yale's and Stanford's, it doesn't have a limited 10-years-from-graduation window to participate, but don't be fooled into thinking that this is particularly meaningful--unless you choose a deferred loan repayment schedule (which is a bad idea for most people), you're not going to be making loan payments past 10 years anyway.

Also, check the Yale COAP website, because the contribution formula has recently changed slightly (for the worse) for people entering this year onward (yeah, I feel like my class barely dodged a bullet there). It won't be the famous 25% of income above $60k formula. Rather, it'll be a graduated formula that is strikingly similar to Stanford's (though still slightly more generous).

Regarding New Haven, let me just be the millionth person to say, with confidence, that New Haven is unfairly depicted on these boards. I lived for years in Boston and do genuinely miss big-city life, but New Haven has some surprisingly charming areas. There are countless hidden-gem, mom-and-pop places. And the crime bit is just not a problem, seriously. Within a couple weeks, you'll know exactly what streets to avoid at night, and you'll be set. If you're an arts-and-culture type, then New Haven is particularly appealing, with all of Yale's cultural overflow to enjoy. There are standard places to chill: a mainstream movie theater, bars, a few streets with a lot of restaurants, etc. The reality is that most socializing happens very casually, at impromptu visits to nearby bars, house parties of all sizes, potlucks, etc. The fact that YLS people are not living in NYC or DC or Boston, where they already have lots of established friendships, actually helps a lot. There's a sense of common enterprise ("We're gonna have a great 3 years in NH together."), which is aided further by the first-semester "small group" in one of your classes. Those people will become your family while you're here, so it's hard to feel bored or isolated in New Haven. In some ways, I think we're better off than people at Columbia or NYU who have a million distractions and a preexisting friend circle to use as a crutch.

Regarding living in the suburbs, my perception has been that people either go full out for the NYC commute and just live in NYC with their SO's, or live in New Haven and do weekends with their SO's. There are some nice cities between New Haven and NYC, but once you're on the commuter rail, a couple dozen miles just doesn't make much difference. Meanwhile, you'd both be commuting on a daily basis, without really being able to have a full social life in NYC or New Haven. Also, commuting from NYC is almost unheard of for 1L's. It's more of an upperclassmen thing. That said, if you have kids and are looking to settle down somewhere for the long haul in CT, Fairfield County is gorgeou$.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks so much tgir! Very helpful! I have alot of research to do on these things. I am wondering once they assess your contribution if you have to pay for it or if a non-relative or corporation can just basically pay most of your tuition without tax implications, and then how that would effect their calculations about what you can contribute in the first place. Its all very complicated since you are projecting out into an unknown future.

Hmmmm.....really my biggest problem is that NH has the worst public schools imaginable. No way can we afford a private school on top of law school. So I have to figure something out on that front to make Yale a viable option. If that means moving so far out I can't take advantage of what makes Yale unique, then that would be pretty silly as well. Its a real dilemma and I'm not positive how I can resolve it. I've been looking into it for awhile. I can't wait till they give us our contacts in the student body. I was pretty perplexed about Harvard until they gave us some current students and alum with similar concerns and amongst them, I came up with solutions to all my outstanding issues. I'm hoping the Yale contacts bring the same clarity. I know I won't be the first person to wrestle with these issues!

goodwillhunting

New

Post by goodwillhunting » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:23 pm

tgir wrote:Congrats, everyone!

tgir, I heard that only a small number of students live in Yale housing (either a dorm or Yale-owned apartment). Is that by choice (as in, no one wants to live in Yale housing) or because there are few slots available for YLS people? It seems like the rent is much lower at Yale housing than at private-owned ones.

Also, I think a lot of people might be interested in this given the huge number of cross-admits: how would you compare Yale and Harvard if I want to study corporate law? I've talked to some non-law school people so far, and they've all brought up the fact that Harvard has higher ranked and bigger economics department and business school (I don't know how that might affect the study of corporate law at the law school).

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:39 pm

MumofCad wrote:Thanks so much tgir! Very helpful! I have alot of research to do on these things. I am wondering once they assess your contribution if you have to pay for it or if a non-relative or corporation can just basically pay most of your tuition without tax implications, and then how that would effect their calculations about what you can contribute in the first place. Its all very complicated since you are projecting out into an unknown future.

Hmmmm.....really my biggest problem is that NH has the worst public schools imaginable. No way can we afford a private school on top of law school. So I have to figure something out on that front to make Yale a viable option. If that means moving so far out I can't take advantage of what makes Yale unique, then that would be pretty silly as well. Its a real dilemma and I'm not positive how I can resolve it. I've been looking into it for awhile. I can't wait till they give us our contacts in the student body. I was pretty perplexed about Harvard until they gave us some current students and alum with similar concerns and amongst them, I came up with solutions to all my outstanding issues. I'm hoping the Yale contacts bring the same clarity. I know I won't be the first person to wrestle with these issues!
I'm not sure how it works for corporations, but this is what I was told with regard to family/friends paying: If it's your parents and they're paying part or all of the "parental contribution" portion, there is no adverse effect, because that's exactly what the original calculations were intended to produce. If, however, parents/friends pay additional money into the "student contribution" portion, then that would be treated as if your parents/friends had gifted the money to you for you to contribute. As a result, whatever they contribute will be treated as an additional student resource, thereby upping the "student contribution" calculation by the same amount and reducing your eligibility for grants. Because "student resources" are assessed at a higher rate than "parental resources," it's essentially completely counter-productive. In other words, the schools will see to it that no matter how much money parents/friends contribute, you personally will still have to contribute nearly all your money, unless your parents'/friends' contributions reach the full cost of attendance.

Regarding the tax implications, I don't have a very informed view. It is my general understanding that parental contributions to tuition are not typically considered "gifts" for the purposes of federal gift tax. And even if they were, they'd be exempted up to $26,000 annually ($13,000 from each parent). So I don't think you'll run into a problem there.

I don't know anything about New Haven public schools, other than to say that they seem better than public schools where I'm from! It seems like the immediate suburbs outside New Haven (Hamden, Woodbridge, etc.) are pretty wealthy, so maybe the schools are better there? I'm not sure how it would work to get housing out there, though. Definitely a question for someone in the admissions or student affairs office.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”