In at Stanford: Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AmandaPB

Re: In at Stanford: Class of 2015

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:07 pm

SpoonForkSpork wrote:Shit. No aid. And 80K a year?!?! I want to die a little. :(

Really? Jeez. It’s all need-based, right?

SpoonForkSpork

Postby SpoonForkSpork » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:47 pm

AmandaPB wrote:
SpoonForkSpork wrote:Shit. No aid. And 80K a year?!?! I want to die a little. :(

Yeah... my parents save a lot, and coming straight from UG means EFC is at its highest. Ugh. I can't even wrap my mind around that kind of debt.

Stig

Postby Stig » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:29 pm

SpoonForkSpork wrote: Ugh. I can't even wrap my mind around that kind of debt.

this might help:

--ImageRemoved--

or two of these if yellow is more of your style:

In all seriousness though, it is an absolute boatload of money, especially coming right out of undergrad. Thinking about cars was the only way I could make it tangible. Over the course of your life though, it is relatively insignificant. You'll walk into a very well paying job, or have a great LRAP program to back you up should you chose not to if you come to SLS. :)

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 pm

AmandaPB wrote:

Does anyone know if students apply for need-based aid each year, or does Stanford give a three-year projection? The reason I ask is because I have some savings that I would use during year one, and I'm doubtful I'd get much aid (if any). But I suppose I'd have a much better shot at aid during years two and three, and I'm curious how Stanford calculates this stuff and if I would have any idea of expected aid over three years before I commit for three years.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 pm

thisguy456 wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:

Does anyone know if students apply for need-based aid each year, or does Stanford give a three-year projection? The reason I ask is because I have some savings that I would use during year one, and I'm doubtful I'd get much aid (if any). But I suppose I'd have a much better shot at aid during years two and three, and I'm curious how Stanford calculates this stuff and if I would have any idea of expected aid over three years before I commit for three years.

It's calculated yearly. If you financial situation changes (i.e., you work biglaw your 1L/2L summer) your aid changes.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:25 pm

SpoonForkSpork wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:

Yeah... my parents save a lot, and coming straight from UG means EFC is at its highest. Ugh. I can't even wrap my mind around that kind of debt.

If your parents will not help you at all, I would strongly consider another school that gives you scholarship money. Even with a biglaw job it will take a very long time to pay off all the debt.

slsorhls

Postby slsorhls » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Anyone else stuck when it comes to choosing HLS vs. SLS?

beevs

Postby beevs » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:03 am

Just found out today that I have that choice to make. Almost a bummer, because I was getting really excited about Stanford and now I am more conflicted. Key word being "almost." I still can't believe how fortunate I am to have the decision. I keep lurking admits at both schools and wondering how I ever ended up in their company.

PM if you want.

Mausketeer

Postby Mausketeer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:10 am

So I completed the Need Access and FAFSA over a month ago, but I found out just now that my parents likely haven't sent in their tax returns to SLS yet (I have none to send in). I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning to see if there will be any issues, but I was wondering if anyone knows how strict they are with the March 15th deadline for packaging (and whether hard copies of their tax forms are necessary for packaging). Their handbook makes it seem as if the Need Access and FAFSA are required to apply for a tuition fellowship, while the hard copy of the tax forms are only needed in order for the approved aid to be applied (after packaging). Really hope this doesn't cause any problems with packaging... :cry:

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:39 am

Mausketeer wrote:So I completed the Need Access and FAFSA over a month ago, but I found out just now that my parents likely haven't sent in their tax returns to SLS yet (I have none to send in). I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning to see if there will be any issues, but I was wondering if anyone knows how strict they are with the March 15th deadline for packaging (and whether hard copies of their tax forms are necessary for packaging). Their handbook makes it seem as if the Need Access and FAFSA are required to apply for a tuition fellowship, while the hard copy of the tax forms are only needed in order for the approved aid to be applied (after packaging). Really hope this doesn't cause any problems with packaging... :cry:

I was told that they don't need the hard copy tax forms to make a decision, just that they need them to verify the decision after its been given.

SpoonForkSpork

Postby SpoonForkSpork » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:30 pm

legends159 wrote:
SpoonForkSpork wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:

If your parents will not help you at all, I would strongly consider another school that gives you scholarship money. Even with a biglaw job it will take a very long time to pay off all the debt.

This is depressing news. They paid for my college education, and I'm very reluctant to ask them for more, given how much they've already done for me. I'm still waiting on Columbia's finaid offer, but without a named scholarship I'm pretty sure the amount won't be high. The only other alternative is ~75k from NYU.

Out of curiosity, where would you draw the line in terms of debt?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:37 pm

SpoonForkSpork wrote:Out of curiosity, where would you draw the line in terms of debt?

Depends how long you're willing to work in biglaw...unless the LRAP is helping you out.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:56 pm

SpoonForkSpork wrote:
Out of curiosity, where would you draw the line in terms of debt?

Well it's really sensitive to where you want to live and the kind of life you want. If you want to live in NYC/bay area for example, it is going to be very difficult to pay off $240K+ in debt with the high COL. If I were in your situation, I would take the $75K from NYU, but my aspirations going into law school was NYC biglaw. It's really tough for people in your situation b/c most people here get substantial aid or have parents that pay their loans. I know many people getting close to $40K/year in aid.

If you do choose to attend SLS, there are ways to cut down on your costs. One easy way is to not live in Munger, but instead live in Rains or EV in a shared apt. Your rent will be cut almost in half with this choice -- though you give up the convenience and glamor of Munger for a crappy college dorm. Another way is to gun hard for a TA position which pays about $7K/quarter (pays out to about $80/hour) better yet if you can TA outside the law school you get about $10K/quarter. Be proactive and ask professors that you have taken if you can TA for them. Very few students go this route. If you can't get a TA position, find a professor that will take you as an RA during the school year. That pays about $3K/quarter (pays out to about $28/hour) plus sets you up for a good letter of rec come clerkship time (if you plan to clerk). Finally, if you do biglaw your 1L & 2L summer (1L biglaw is a crapshoot for anyone) that could put a nice dent in your debt.

Dani.B

Postby Dani.B » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Mausketeer wrote:So I completed the Need Access and FAFSA over a month ago, but I found out just now that my parents likely haven't sent in their tax returns to SLS yet (I have none to send in). I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning to see if there will be any issues, but I was wondering if anyone knows how strict they are with the March 15th deadline for packaging (and whether hard copies of their tax forms are necessary for packaging). Their handbook makes it seem as if the Need Access and FAFSA are required to apply for a tuition fellowship, while the hard copy of the tax forms are only needed in order for the approved aid to be applied (after packaging). Really hope this doesn't cause any problems with packaging... :cry:

I'm glad I saw this post because I didnt realize I needed to mail tax forms. Does anyone know which address i mail them to? I've been looking under the financial aid tab on their site but i seem to be overlooking it.

thanks!

Mausketeer

Postby Mausketeer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Dani.B wrote:I'm glad I saw this post because I didnt realize I needed to mail tax forms. Does anyone know which address i mail them to? I've been looking under the financial aid tab on their site but i seem to be overlooking it.
thanks!

thisguy456 wrote:I was told that they don't need the hard copy tax forms to make a decision, just that they need them to verify the decision after its been given.

As thisguy456 mentioned, the hard copy tax forms aren't needed to package, but you'll need to send them in if you're going to take them up on the offer. Confirmed this with them by phone on Friday, so there's not a big rush. Also, I was told that they'd be getting to people who had their Need Access / FAFSA done by mid-February early in the next week.

slsorhls

Postby slsorhls » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:46 pm

How many people here are cross-admits to sls and hls?

Dani.B

Postby Dani.B » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Mausketeer wrote:
Dani.B wrote:I'm glad I saw this post because I didnt realize I needed to mail tax forms. Does anyone know which address i mail them to? I've been looking under the financial aid tab on their site but i seem to be overlooking it.
thanks!

thisguy456 wrote:I was told that they don't need the hard copy tax forms to make a decision, just that they need them to verify the decision after its been given.

As thisguy456 mentioned, the hard copy tax forms aren't needed to package, but you'll need to send them in if you're going to take them up on the offer. Confirmed this with them by phone on Friday, so there's not a big rush. Also, I was told that they'd be getting to people who had their Need Access / FAFSA done by mid-February early in the next week.

Thank you so much!

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:01 pm

... was that email we just got for real?

Maybe I’m just a party pooper but I feel like that makes Stanford look bad.

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 pm

AmandaPB wrote:... was that email we just got for real?

Maybe I’m just a party pooper but I feel like that makes Stanford look bad.

What email?

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:12 pm

The one sent through the google group from the IL “bar tsar.” The fonts/colors/grammar/photos are so overwhelming. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, though. Hahha

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:19 pm

My email is notoriously slow, but I just checked the google group and... wow. That was a little bit much, though it definitely cracked me up. Gotta love someone so... passionate, though, right?

JF215

Postby JF215 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:20 pm

AmandaPB wrote:The one sent through the google group from the IL “bar tsar.” The fonts/colors/grammar/photos are so overwhelming. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, though. Hahha

lol forever at the strategically placed caps and the photo collage. i like this guy already :)

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:24 pm

JF215 wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:The one sent through the google group from the IL “bar tsar.” The fonts/colors/grammar/photos are so overwhelming. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, though. Hahha

lol forever at the strategically placed caps and the photo collage. i like this guy already :)

Hahaha I think we’re in for a fun weekend.
By the way, can someone make a photo collage of me that says “Hi, my name is Amanda!” on it? I actually really love it, so goofy. I should go find him on FB.
Last edited by AmandaPB on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:24 pm

:shock: :arrow: :? :arrow: :lol: :arrow: :D

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 pm

I’m actually really excited about borrowing pants from this man. He has an awesome collection.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”