In at Stanford: Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kretzy

Silver

Re: In at Stanford: Class of 2015

Post by Kretzy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 am

soj wrote:
Perdevise wrote:Hey, did you fellows RSVP for all meals/earliest arrival times, etc?

PS, is the minority preview URM only?
I'm a non-URM LGBT and I invited myself. :)
SLS added OutLaw to minority preview 2 years ago; all of the other ABC groups (SALSA, BLSA, etc.) signed on with OutLaw to invite all the LGBT admits to the event. I had a blast, and definitely helped seal the deal for me . . . though, I'll admit, I was pretty sold before I visited.

2L here, splitting between a couple firms this summer, pretty involved on campus, likely externing in Europe (or studying abroad) next fall, happy to take questions as well :) Don't really have much to add to Stig's info. It's hard not to love this place.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:50 am

I hope to see you there, Kretzy. :mrgreen:

Stig

New

Post by Stig » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:25 am

Kretzy wrote: [I'm] pretty involved on campus
understatement of the century right there

Jerwinf1

New

Post by Jerwinf1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:48 am

Howdy all,

So I´m deciding between HLS and SLS and I´m currently leaning heavily toward Stanford, though mostly for gut feeling reasons (I like the idea of people who are passionate and smart, but a little less intense.) Just read through the In at Harvard thread and I was very turned off by the extensive discussion of grades...

Just wondering if anyone else is making or made this decision / how much you think their reputations (Harvard = intense with lots of gunners, Stanford more chill) actually hold up in reality.

It seems to me that there´s really no difference in terms of life opportunities (especially since I want to stay in California or the Bay Area with the possible exception of some kind of amazing opportunity in D.C.).

The only thing that makes me question Stanford is the feeling that Harvard might be useful if I eventually want to work in politics or gov´t law (Democrat / progressive if that makes a difference)

Thoughts?

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:15 am

Jerwinf1 wrote:Howdy all,

So I´m deciding between HLS and SLS and I´m currently leaning heavily toward Stanford, though mostly for gut feeling reasons (I like the idea of people who are passionate and smart, but a little less intense.) Just read through the In at Harvard thread and I was very turned off by the extensive discussion of grades...

Just wondering if anyone else is making or made this decision / how much you think their reputations (Harvard = intense with lots of gunners, Stanford more chill) actually hold up in reality.

It seems to me that there´s really no difference in terms of life opportunities (especially since I want to stay in California or the Bay Area with the possible exception of some kind of amazing opportunity in D.C.).

The only thing that makes me question Stanford is the feeling that Harvard might be useful if I eventually want to work in politics or gov´t law (Democrat / progressive if that makes a difference)

Thoughts?
A lot of us in this thread area also making this decision, and if you search HLS v. SLS you'll find tons of threads on this issue, and the Current Harvard/Stanford Students Taking Questions threads have each been helpful. Essentially, not to drag this thread down with a debate - I think the stereotypes of each school are somewhat overblown (or at least overgeneralized). Each school is going to be full of hard working students, and plenty have said Stanford is as "competitive as you make it," while Harvard students have said pretty unequivocally that it is not the Paper Chase and the student body is great. Undoubtedly, they have different vibes, and will have somewhat different student bodies, but you should visit each and search around the forum some more before making a decision. Also, if you know you want to stay in Cali, you may want to factor in geography. I'd advise that since you've been accepted to Harvard, use the email account they give you to get in touch with current Harvard students, professors, and alumni if you haven't already - I got a lot out of talking to each of them. Also, I'm facing the same decision, so take all of that with a grain of salt.

I just can't wait to visit both of them :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abacus

New

Post by abacus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:28 am

Same boat. PMed.

yankees42789

Bronze

Post by yankees42789 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:58 am

annyong wrote:
Jerwinf1 wrote:Howdy all,

Thoughts?
A lot of us in this thread area also making this decision, and if you search HLS v. SLS you'll find tons of threads on this issue, and the Current Harvard/Stanford Students Taking Questions threads have each been helpful. Essentially, not to drag this thread down with a debate - I think the stereotypes of each school are somewhat overblown (or at least overgeneralized). Each school is going to be full of hard working students, and plenty have said Stanford is as "competitive as you make it," while Harvard students have said pretty unequivocally that it is not the Paper Chase and the student body is great. Undoubtedly, they have different vibes, and will have somewhat different student bodies, but you should visit each and search around the forum some more before making a decision. Also, if you know you want to stay in Cali, you may want to factor in geography. I'd advise that since you've been accepted to Harvard, use the email account they give you to get in touch with current Harvard students, professors, and alumni if you haven't already - I got a lot out of talking to each of them. Also, I'm facing the same decision, so take all of that with a grain of salt.

I just can't wait to visit both of them :D
+1 to all of that.

Just wanted to add that I contacted the Stanford admissions office and they put me in touch with a bunch of SLS students from my undergrad who have been pretty eager to talk to me about their time at Stanford thus far. So while Stanford doesn't immediately put you in contact with students/professors/alums like Harvard does, it's definitely worthwhile to reach out and hear what people from both schools have to say.

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:19 am

Kretzy wrote:
soj wrote:
Perdevise wrote:Hey, did you fellows RSVP for all meals/earliest arrival times, etc?

PS, is the minority preview URM only?
I'm a non-URM LGBT and I invited myself. :)
SLS added OutLaw to minority preview 2 years ago; all of the other ABC groups (SALSA, BLSA, etc.) signed on with OutLaw to invite all the LGBT admits to the event. I had a blast, and definitely helped seal the deal for me . . . though, I'll admit, I was pretty sold before I visited.

2L here, splitting between a couple firms this summer, pretty involved on campus, likely externing in Europe (or studying abroad) next fall, happy to take questions as well :) Don't really have much to add to Stig's info. It's hard not to love this place.

Kretzy, what is the advantage to splitting your 2L summer? I was under the impression most students go from a 2L SA to an offer upon graduating. Will you get 2 offers? Do you have to schlep from one city to another halfway through summer?

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Perdevise wrote:Kretzy, what is the advantage to splitting your 2L summer? I was under the impression most students go from a 2L SA to an offer upon graduating. Will you get 2 offers? Do you have to schlep from one city to another halfway through summer?
Going to swoop in and answer this one for my good amigo Kretzy.

The advantage is being able to compare two different firms, and often two different cities. Most students who decide to split spent their 1L summer at a firm, and were invited back for the final 3-6 weeks of summer. They spend the first 8-10 weeks at the second firm, which they lock down during OCI. I would venture that more students work for firms in two different cities than two firms in the same city. Firms typically disfavor same-city splits.

Both firms typically extend offers, and the choice between the two is the student's to make. That being said, I've heard there is a slightly higher chance of a no-offer if one splits than if one doesn't split.

A final note: splitting may prove rather difficult if you did not spend your first summer at a firm. I tried to finagle a split this summer w/o having had a 1L firm job, and various obstacles prevented the split. Feel free to PM me for details.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 pm

I was just browsing the Internet and came across this link with some beautiful pictures of The Dish Area near Stanford. Take a look! http://www.instartupland.com/?p=125

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:32 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Perdevise wrote:Kretzy, what is the advantage to splitting your 2L summer? I was under the impression most students go from a 2L SA to an offer upon graduating. Will you get 2 offers? Do you have to schlep from one city to another halfway through summer?

The advantage is being able to compare two different firms, and often two different cities. Most students who decide to split spent their 1L summer at a firm, and were invited back for the final 3-6 weeks of summer. They spend the first 8-10 weeks at the second firm, which they lock down during OCI. I would venture that more students work for firms in two different cities than two firms in the same city. Firms typically disfavor same-city splits.

Both firms typically extend offers, and the choice between the two is the student's to make. That being said, I've heard there is a slightly higher chance of a no-offer if one splits than if one doesn't split.

A final note: splitting may prove rather difficult if you did not spend your first summer at a firm. I tried to finagle a split this summer w/o having had a 1L firm job, and various obstacles prevented the split. Feel free to PM me for details.
Yup, the above all sounds about right. Firms disfavor same-city splits (I say that though I'm doing one, in part because I spent my 1L summer at a major firm in a minor city, then asked to switch offices before OCI. I just happened to pick another firm in that same city during OCI).

The other tangible benefit is money, particularly for folks not getting fellowship aid. Spending even 12 weeks instead of 10 is another $4000 in spending money (it really is remarkable how much they pay you to be a summer associate...). We get 15 weeks of summer vacation this year, so even spending 8 weeks at Firm A and 4 weeks at Firm B, a person still gets almost 3 weeks off to travel, sit on a beach, or do whatever they please. A few of the now-3Ls flew off to Thailand after their SAs last year; they seemed to start the term pretty well-rested!

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:19 am

Kretzy wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

Yup, the above all sounds about right. Firms disfavor same-city splits (I say that though I'm doing one, in part because I spent my 1L summer at a major firm in a minor city, then asked to switch offices before OCI. I just happened to pick another firm in that same city during OCI).

The other tangible benefit is money, particularly for folks not getting fellowship aid. Spending even 12 weeks instead of 10 is another $4000 in spending money (it really is remarkable how much they pay you to be a summer associate...). We get 15 weeks of summer vacation this year, so even spending 8 weeks at Firm A and 4 weeks at Firm B, a person still gets almost 3 weeks off to travel, sit on a beach, or do whatever they please. A few of the now-3Ls flew off to Thailand after their SAs last year; they seemed to start the term pretty well-rested!
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize we'd get so much time in the summer.

arewehavingfunyet

New

Post by arewehavingfunyet » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Got the Dean Kramer email today and I was a little disappointed in how form lettery it was (though it was pretty informative). Not that I think he should write specific emails to everyone but I just found it off putting how it was just a kind of fill in the blanks type thing, why bother at all? Anyway, still super excited!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

andanother

New

Post by andanother » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Is anyone planning on attending Boalt's ASW, in addition to Stanford's? The consecutive weekend timing is very convenient, yet I wonder if it is even worth attending Boalt's now that Stanford is an option...

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:49 pm

andanother wrote:Is anyone planning on attending Boalt's ASW, in addition to Stanford's? The consecutive weekend timing is very convenient, yet I wonder if it is even worth attending Boalt's now that Stanford is an option...
I might go, just because I'll always have a special place in my heart for Berkeley and I can stay with friends there. I also want to be able to compare Stanford's ASW with other ASWs.

ohhailawschool

New

Post by ohhailawschool » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi! Bumping this thread for two reasons:

1) Ever-present Stanford excitement. Obviously.

2) A question for Stig, or anyone else who may have some insight. There was some dicussion a few pages back about staying with current students during ASW, and I would definitely love to do that. I'm coming in on that Friday and heading out Monday, and wondering if it is possible/too much of an imposition to stay with current students for that long? Would it be better to split the time between staying with current students and a hotel? Just wondering what proper etiquette is and what other people are planning on doing...

Thanks!

millen

New

Post by millen » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Got the call from Dean Deal on Friday...can't wait until April!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:28 pm

Congrats millen! Welcome :).

Spoke to a Stanford 1L today and she was so kind and helpful. I can't wait to visit! I'm close enough that I think I'll go up sometime in February. I want to see if everything I'm hearing about SLS is really true :p.

marckrock

New

Post by marckrock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:25 pm

For those who haven't seen it, there is a pretty cool virtual tour thingy that they just posted

http://www.voovio.com/vvts/StanfordLawSchool

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:47 pm

marckrock wrote:For those who haven't seen it, there is a pretty cool virtual tour thingy that they just posted

http://www.voovio.com/vvts/StanfordLawSchool
Thanks so much for posting that!!

mdogo

New

Post by mdogo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:27 pm

Question: did anybody get an email confirmation for their RSVP for the ASW? I didn't from Stanford, but did from some others. Checking to make sure everything went through.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:11 pm

mdogo wrote:Question: did anybody get an email confirmation for their RSVP for the ASW? I didn't from Stanford, but did from some others. Checking to make sure everything went through.
I didn't get email confirmation either.

millen

New

Post by millen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:09 am

Is everyone staying for the Monday class visits? Trying to decide if I should skip Monday classes at home...

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:11 am

millen wrote:Is everyone staying for the Monday class visits? Trying to decide if I should skip Monday classes at home...
I’m not. I have classes back home, too!

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 am

I graduated a while ago, so I will def. be staying. My work will thankfully give me the time off.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”