Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Jimbola
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby Jimbola » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:54 pm

Less Debt/More Cold vs. More Debt/Less Cold

decisions decisions...

User avatar
NYC KID
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby NYC KID » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Jimbola wrote:Less Debt/More Cold vs. More Debt/Less Cold

decisions decisions...


So it's between Buffalo and...?

cinndyloo
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby cinndyloo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Jimbola wrote:Less Debt/More Cold vs. More Debt/Less Cold

decisions decisions...



so where are you debating between? i'm in the same sort of boat...not an easy decision, but 99% of the people I've talked to say less debt...

User avatar
NYC KID
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby NYC KID » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 pm

cinndyloo wrote:
Jimbola wrote:Less Debt/More Cold vs. More Debt/Less Cold

decisions decisions...



so where are you debating between? i'm in the same sort of boat...not an easy decision, but 99% of the people I've talked to say less debt...


May I ask, what's schools are you debating between cindyloo?

cinndyloo
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby cinndyloo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:46 am

NYC KID wrote:
cinndyloo wrote:
Jimbola wrote:Less Debt/More Cold vs. More Debt/Less Cold

decisions decisions...



so where are you debating between? i'm in the same sort of boat...not an easy decision, but 99% of the people I've talked to say less debt...


May I ask, what's schools are you debating between cindyloo?


Ok well, currently been admitted to UB, Rutgers, Cleveland State, Syracuse, and Albany....still waiting on Wake Forest, Richmond, West Virginia....and a few others. So basically my decision is more of a UB vs. everyone else sort of deal I suppose. But I'm still waiting to see if any schools down south make it worth my while, though I doubt it. They all tend to highly favor in-state applicants, even the private ones.

User avatar
NYC KID
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby NYC KID » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:55 am

cinndyloo wrote:
NYC KID wrote:
cinndyloo wrote:
Jimbola wrote:Less Debt/More Cold vs. More Debt/Less Cold

decisions decisions...



so where are you debating between? i'm in the same sort of boat...not an easy decision, but 99% of the people I've talked to say less debt...


May I ask, what's schools are you debating between cindyloo?


Ok well, currently been admitted to UB, Rutgers, Cleveland State, Syracuse, and Albany....still waiting on Wake Forest, Richmond, West Virginia....and a few others. So basically my decision is more of a UB vs. everyone else sort of deal I suppose. But I'm still waiting to see if any schools down south make it worth my while, though I doubt it. They all tend to highly favor in-state applicants, even the private ones.


I guess it comes down to where you want to work/live more...Buffalo or the south, assuming you get accepted to a school down there of course.

User avatar
Jimbola
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby Jimbola » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am

cindyloo, did you get Scholarship info back from Syracuse or Albany? I haven't done FAFSA yet, so I think they're waiting for that. I sent the Syracuse financial aid thing in last minute.

But yeah, as of right now St. John's would be a little cheaper w/scholly and I'd be commuting and have a better shot at NYC stuff, but the stipulations scare me a little bit.

Does anyone know if Buffalo overestimates the living expenses they put down on their website (about $20k if memory serves correct).

cinndyloo
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby cinndyloo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:40 am

Jimbola wrote:cindyloo, did you get Scholarship info back from Syracuse or Albany? I haven't done FAFSA yet, so I think they're waiting for that. I sent the Syracuse financial aid thing in last minute.

But yeah, as of right now St. John's would be a little cheaper w/scholly and I'd be commuting and have a better shot at NYC stuff, but the stipulations scare me a little bit.

Does anyone know if Buffalo overestimates the living expenses they put down on their website (about $20k if memory serves correct).


I haven't received anything from either school yet, SU just sent me an email and Albany I found out via status checker. So waiting on snail mail. The waiting game is starting to kill me a little inside.

I've lived about an hour south of buffalo my entire life and truthfully I was surprised by the estimated living expenses, but if you're considering any sort of campus housing it's likely that number is correct. Grad student housing at UB is expensive. But the amherst/tonowanda area surrounding the campus is pretty affordable. The average apartment is around $600 a month with utilities...overestimate and you're still only looking at around $10k a year. That's the draw of Buffalo, at least for me. Great program, incredibly low tuition, and the cost of living is incredibly affordable. Plus it's a nice area surrounding north campus (excluding university heights). And despite what many say about Buffalo, I still contend it is what you make of it. It can be a great town and a lot of fun if you want it to be. Although, coming from NYC it may be hard. But what would I know, I grew up on a farm. Everything is big and fun to me :lol:

User avatar
Lawer101
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby Lawer101 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:07 pm

I agree with everything Cindyloo posted. I just recieved my packet from Syracuse. Nothing from Buffalo yet (just in via status checker) but no schollys on either. I live just outside Buffalo and the cost of living is very affordable and there are plenty of really nice places within the affordable range. I think Buffalo is a great school and is definitely where I will be heading in the fall. I just wish I had the packet so I could really feel like it's official and put in my seat deposit. lol. I hope to meet some of you in the coming months. Good luck!

cinndyloo
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby cinndyloo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Lawer101 wrote:I agree with everything Cindyloo posted. I just recieved my packet from Syracuse. Nothing from Buffalo yet (just in via status checker) but no schollys on either. I live just outside Buffalo and the cost of living is very affordable and there are plenty of really nice places within the affordable range. I think Buffalo is a great school and is definitely where I will be heading in the fall. I just wish I had the packet so I could really feel like it's official and put in my seat deposit. lol. I hope to meet some of you in the coming months. Good luck!


Congrats on UB and SU!! I'm not expecting any scholarships from SU either, I've been told they're quite stingy. Enjoy the UB packet and free car sticker! There are 2 weekend get together's for admitted students in March and April, they sound like a pretty good time...I'd encourage anyone who is unsure of Buffalo, who has been admitted, to come to the one in March. It's at Pearl Street Grill and it's a Sabre's viewing party, should be a fine introduction to Buffalo for anyone who isn't familiar!!

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Jimbola wrote:cindyloo, did you get Scholarship info back from Syracuse or Albany? I haven't done FAFSA yet, so I think they're waiting for that. I sent the Syracuse financial aid thing in last minute.

But yeah, as of right now St. John's would be a little cheaper w/scholly and I'd be commuting and have a better shot at NYC stuff, but the stipulations scare me a little bit.

Does anyone know if Buffalo overestimates the living expenses they put down on their website (about $20k if memory serves correct).


$20k? You should be able to spend $8k - $10k and be living just fine. Unless Buffalo's living expenses have skyrocketed, going to UB is one of the most financially smart things a student can do if they do not mind the cold and want to work in upstate/western NY. Choosing Syracuse over it would be crazy IMO. Both give you about the same job prospects in the same markets but UB is less expensive, by far.
Last edited by lawyerwannabe on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lawer101
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby Lawer101 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:42 pm

cinndyloo wrote:
Lawer101 wrote:I agree with everything Cindyloo posted. I just recieved my packet from Syracuse. Nothing from Buffalo yet (just in via status checker) but no schollys on either. I live just outside Buffalo and the cost of living is very affordable and there are plenty of really nice places within the affordable range. I think Buffalo is a great school and is definitely where I will be heading in the fall. I just wish I had the packet so I could really feel like it's official and put in my seat deposit. lol. I hope to meet some of you in the coming months. Good luck!


Congrats on UB and SU!! I'm not expecting any scholarships from SU either, I've been told they're quite stingy. Enjoy the UB packet and free car sticker! There are 2 weekend get together's for admitted students in March and April, they sound like a pretty good time...I'd encourage anyone who is unsure of Buffalo, who has been admitted, to come to the one in March. It's at Pearl Street Grill and it's a Sabre's viewing party, should be a fine introduction to Buffalo for anyone who isn't familiar!!


Definitely. I already registered for the March party at Pearl Street. It should be a good time. I recommend people come if possible. A night when the Sabres play is always a fun time in the city and should provide a great opportunity to experience the Buffalo culture. I think it will be a lot of fun.

paradox
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby paradox » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:26 pm

My only concern regarding Buffalo Law is that it may be impossible to get a job after graduation that is not in Western New York.

Does anyone know if Buffalo has placement in Westchester, NYC, Long Island or DC?

Thanks.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:37 pm

paradox wrote:My only concern regarding Buffalo Law is that it may be impossible to get a job after graduation that is not in Western New York.

Does anyone know if Buffalo has placement in Westchester, NYC, Long Island or DC?

Thanks.


There is only one problem with your concerns. If you are looking at schools in the general UB range, then they are all going to be regional law schools. The bigger problem with your concern is that the areas you are wondering about placement in attract top-notch candidates from all the best schools (well, I guess I do not know if that is the case with Long Island). Thus, no schools in the UB range of law schools should be attended for the reason of gaining employment in places like NYC or DC. Even the schools that are directly in these areas that are not top-notch schools place incredibly poorly and should be attended hesitantly even with $$$.

User avatar
NYC KID
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby NYC KID » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Does anyone know how often UB has gone to their waitlist in the past? Looked through last year's thread, but didn't see anything.

User avatar
NYCbound96
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby NYCbound96 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi guys! I'm currently a 2L at UB Law.

I do know that my year someone was admitted from the waitlist about a month before classes started, so in July at some point. I have a feeling admissions also accepts a lot of people who are riding out other waitlists or waiting on "better" acceptances, so I wouldn't be surprised if you got taken off the waitlist.

It's a great school if you can get in, and I really enjoy it! The people are very nice, there's a low cost of living, and the atmosphere isn't as intense as it can be at a lot of other schools. I personally don't like the cut-throat atmosphere that I saw at other schools which is why I ended up here. I wouldn't change my decision for the world.

I also am from Long Island, and I have had no trouble finding jobs during the summer and I doubt that being from UB will hurt me getting a job after I graduate. I know a few lawyers and every one of them that I have spoken to thinks that the anyone paying full tuition at the private law schools on LI and in NYC and aren't in the top 5 or 10% are insane.

UB also has the UB in NYC program where you can work in NYC for the Spring Semester during your second or third year working in the business law field. I have heard great things about the program and it is run with alumni of UB who work in NYC and really believe in helping our students and alumni to find jobs in the NYC area.

If I can answer any other questions, please let me know. I really love this school and I would love to help as many of you as I can!

User avatar
NYC KID
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby NYC KID » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:14 pm

NYCbound96 wrote:Hi guys! I'm currently a 2L at UB Law.

I do know that my year someone was admitted from the waitlist about a month before classes started, so in July at some point. I have a feeling admissions also accepts a lot of people who are riding out other waitlists or waiting on "better" acceptances, so I wouldn't be surprised if you got taken off the waitlist.

It's a great school if you can get in, and I really enjoy it! The people are very nice, there's a low cost of living, and the atmosphere isn't as intense as it can be at a lot of other schools. I personally don't like the cut-throat atmosphere that I saw at other schools which is why I ended up here. I wouldn't change my decision for the world.

I also am from Long Island, and I have had no trouble finding jobs during the summer and I doubt that being from UB will hurt me getting a job after I graduate. I know a few lawyers and every one of them that I have spoken to thinks that the anyone paying full tuition at the private law schools on LI and in NYC and aren't in the top 5 or 10% are insane.

UB also has the UB in NYC program where you can work in NYC for the Spring Semester during your second or third year working in the business law field. I have heard great things about the program and it is run with alumni of UB who work in NYC and really believe in helping our students and alumni to find jobs in the NYC area.

If I can answer any other questions, please let me know. I really love this school and I would love to help as many of you as I can!


Thanks for your post. If accepted off the waitlist I would definately attend UB.

User avatar
Lawer101
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby Lawer101 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Still no packet. Dying to find out if I get any $$$ still going regardless...just would be nice for a little book relief and I need a new laptop. Anyone know if there are any deals on laptops through the school?

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby z0rk » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:58 pm

I will likely be withdrawing (and freeing up scholly $$) in the coming days. Good luck to those still waiting!

User avatar
Lawer101
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby Lawer101 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Got the packet...no scholly offer. Probably because of low GPA 157 LSAT. I thought the LSAT would get me $4,000. Others on LSN did. Kinda bummed and I don't think negotiation is relevant vs other schools since tuition is significantly cheaper. I hope FAFSA covers tuition with a loan but I was hoping the refund would help with books and I need a new laptop. I am still attending and hope to meet some of you soon. I will be at the March 23 accepted student reception at Pearl Street Brewery....should be fun. I hope to see people there!!

User avatar
suits00
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby suits00 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:21 pm

With all due respect:
If you have been waitlisted or admitted and are not attending, please f__king withdraw immediately. Other people's lives are depending on this sh*t.
Thank you.

LawStudent89
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby LawStudent89 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:51 pm

suits00 wrote:With all due respect:
If you have been waitlisted or admitted and are not attending, please f__king withdraw immediately. Other people's lives are depending on this sh*t.
Thank you.


I was accepted with a 7,000 scholly. I would like to withdraw but I don't know the best way to do it. Tips?

User avatar
suits00
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby suits00 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:01 pm

LawStudent89 wrote:
suits00 wrote:With all due respect:
If you have been waitlisted or admitted and are not attending, please f__king withdraw immediately. Other people's lives are depending on this sh*t.
Thank you.


I was accepted with a 7,000 scholly. I would like to withdraw but I don't know the best way to do it. Tips?


Send an e-mail without hesitation to law-admissions@buffalo.edu.

LawStudent89
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby LawStudent89 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:08 pm

suits00 wrote:
LawStudent89 wrote:
suits00 wrote:With all due respect:
If you have been waitlisted or admitted and are not attending, please f__king withdraw immediately. Other people's lives are depending on this sh*t.
Thank you.


I was accepted with a 7,000 scholly. I would like to withdraw but I don't know the best way to do it. Tips?


Send an e-mail without hesitation to law-admissions@buffalo.edu.


Done! Thanks for the help.

User avatar
Jaeger
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby Jaeger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:37 am

suits00 wrote:With all due respect:
If you have been waitlisted or admitted and are not attending, please f__king withdraw immediately. Other people's lives are depending on this sh*t.
Thank you.



That's my cue.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, hwwong, Kimmysradscreenname and 5 guests