Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NYC KID

Bronze

Re: Buffalo c/o 2015 Applicants

Post by NYC KID » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:18 pm

It is the state school of NY. One would think it has at least some pull in other parts of the state.

Jimbola

Bronze

Post by Jimbola » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:39 pm

NYC KID wrote:It is the state school of NY. One would think it has at least some pull in other parts of the state.
One would think that...

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Jimbola wrote:
NYC KID wrote:It is the state school of NY. One would think it has at least some pull in other parts of the state.
One would think that...
Well this is of course purely anecdotal, but I know a few people who graduated after 2007 and were able to make their way back to NYC. Most aren't in biglaw, but they also don't have crippling debt.

NYC KID

Bronze

Post by NYC KID » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Kess wrote:
Jimbola wrote:
One would think that...
Well this is of course purely anecdotal, but I know a few people who graduated after 2007 and were able to make their way back to NYC. Most aren't in biglaw, but they also don't have crippling debt.
By no means would I expect biglaw, but as long as it's possible to make it back to NYC/ Long Island after graduation Buffalo is an option.

Jimbola

Bronze

Post by Jimbola » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:27 pm

NYC KID wrote:
Kess wrote:
Jimbola wrote:
One would think that...
By no means would I expect biglaw, but as long as it's possible to make it back to NYC/ Long Island after graduation Buffalo is an option.

Yeah I'm just giving the worst case scenario as a possibility if NYC/LI is your goal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LAFish

Bronze

Post by LAFish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:47 am

Just withdrew and freed up some money. Good luck all

barbaraeliz

Bronze

Post by barbaraeliz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Just found out I was admitted, via e-mail, that was more an invite to join their Facebook page. :| I haven't been to my parents in a couple days, so maybe I should suspect snail mail?

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 am

Finally went into review yesterday. How long did it take everyone else to go from in review to decision?

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:05 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Finally went into review yesterday. How long did it take everyone else to go from in review to decision?
Less than a week. UR 1/13, Admitted 1/18

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bt53

New

Post by bt53 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 pm

eek wrote:Go to Hofstra unless you want to be personal injury lawyer in Buffalo or Rochester. School is total TTT. Top students transfer out because they realize by end of first year that they won't be able to get jobs. Course selection is limited. Lots of Anthropology & the Law types of classes, which sound interesting, but won't help you get jobs.

Let's face it, getting a biglaw job from either of these schools is very unlikely. The vast majority of graduates will be making 50k or less. I'd give buffalo the edge because it dominates its market and the debt load is much more managable. I'd go to Hofstra only if you're confident you can graduate in the very top of your class, otherwise you'll most likely be close to six figures in the hole and competing for crappy jobs in an extremely saturated NYC area market.

tm05tv

New

Post by tm05tv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 am

2LT_CPG wrote:Finally went into review yesterday. How long did it take everyone else to go from in review to decision?
I went under review 1/13 and I'm still under review...ugh.

tm05tv

New

Post by tm05tv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:41 am

Kess wrote:
Jimbola wrote:
One would think that...
My cousin works in business, but works with a lot of attorneys and has friends who are attorneys all over the East Coast. A close friend of his graduated from Buffalo and practices in D.C. and he knows quite a few Buffalo grads who ended up in NYC.

Lawer101

New

Post by Lawer101 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Anxiously awaiting correspondence. I hope to hear something this week. Buffalo is my first choice. I'm local and there are no cut-throat scholly stips. I went to the open house and thought the school was great. Also the students and staff are really laid back. Students seem to study together quite more than other schools might. They don't have to fight for a limited amount of grades for scholly retention. I like that aspect quite a bit (plus the 19k in-state tuition). I plan on staying in the area after graduation. There is a large alumni base (obviously) and I have read that legal careers in Western NY are on the rise. It works for me. Good luck to everyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:03 pm

Judging by LSN, I have no idea whether I'll get in or not. Still, it'd be a cool option/alternative to Rutgers if I don't get in there and want to stay in the Northeast.

NYC KID

Bronze

Post by NYC KID » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:36 am

2LT_CPG wrote:Judging by LSN, I have no idea whether I'll get in or not. Still, it'd be a cool option/alternative to Rutgers if I don't get in there and want to stay in the Northeast.
I find LSN to be rather misleading. According to them, no one under a 155 LSAT has been admitted in 4 years. I say that's highly dubious.

paradox

New

Post by paradox » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:01 am

I don't know whether Buffalo has drawn a line at LSAT 155 but LawSchoolNumbers is of little authoritative value for any school since its samples are so small.

Last admission cycle there were 1619 applicants to the University of Buffalo School of Law of which just 40 individuals posted numbers on Buffalo's page of Law School Numbers which is less than 2.5% of all applicants.

NYC KID

Bronze

Post by NYC KID » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Come on Buffalo you know I want an acceptance. Why not make it easier and just accept me already. lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm not optimistic at all, I just want an answer.

Lawer101

New

Post by Lawer101 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:I'm not optimistic at all, I just want an answer.

Roger that

Lawer101

New

Post by Lawer101 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:17 pm

NYC KID wrote:Come on Buffalo you know I want an acceptance. Why not make it easier and just accept me already. lol
and that

cinndyloo

New

Post by cinndyloo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:50 pm

barbaraeliz wrote:Just found out I was admitted, via e-mail, that was more an invite to join their Facebook page. :| I haven't been to my parents in a couple days, so maybe I should suspect snail mail?
That's exactly how I found out (and wasn't sure it if was real) then I got an actual email from the law school congratulating me on being accepted. If you look at your application status page it will confirm you've been admitted and your info packet is being mailed. Applied 1/15, admitted 1/31...still waiting on the actual letter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cinndyloo

New

Post by cinndyloo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:00 pm

sportsstar5 wrote:I have a question in reference to Buffalo's personal statement criteria explanation that I included below.

I've been planning on using a very-well written personal statement that I wrote for several schools. Their description seems to refer to abroad experiences, employment, or involvement. These are all things I included in my resume, and I thought we're supposed to not repeat resumes in personal statements, and rather include a unique take on who we are and/or who we have become up to this point. My essay focuses on an experience that made me into the dedicated person with a community service mindset that I am today. It is a personal statement, rather than a resume like UB's description seems to covey.

Is this ok? What did you do or what do you think? Thanks so much.

Your response should be at most two double-spaced pages in length.

The Admission Committee values good writers and in fact, considers the personal statement a key component in the application process. Please provide a supplementary statement with additional information or commentary that you believe will assist the Admission Committee in evaluating your application. Please refer to concrete examples drawn from your background including experience in other countries or cultures, employment, community activities, educational, and intellectual experiences you believe will be helpful to the committee.

The statement you wrote is most likely perfectly suited for the UB application. I had one well written (and deeply personal) personal statement I used for almost all of my applications. Your's sounds like the kind of statement any school would be looking for. Considering most of the applications ask for employment history, plus a resume, I wouldn't repeat any of that in your statement. It worked for me at least. Submitted my app and was accepted a week later.

cinndyloo

New

Post by cinndyloo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Got my acceptance letter/packet today, plus the $5k scholarship...didn't realize it was for all 3 years! UB is quickly solidifying it's place as my #1 pick. No other financial aid info in it though.

NYC KID

Bronze

Post by NYC KID » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 pm

cinndyloo wrote:Got my acceptance letter/packet today, plus the $5k scholarship...didn't realize it was for all 3 years! UB is quickly solidifying it's place as my #1 pick. No other financial aid info in it though.
I'm jealous. Still waiting on a decision.

cinndyloo

New

Post by cinndyloo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Anyone who has been accepted planning on attending one of the visiting sessions in March or April? I'm planning on attending the one in March, before the seat deposit is due. They say you can bring a guest. My husband can't come with me...would it be weird to drag along a parent? Or should I just suck it up and be an adult, and go by myself?
Seems silly I know, but who wants to show up all by themselves and feel completely awkward the whole time? I certainly don't.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”