Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ab616

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby ab616 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:01 am

Bratty_60 wrote:I have visited the site

where did you get login information?

Bratty_60

Postby Bratty_60 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:41 am

Hofstra emailed it to me

gpatino

Postby gpatino » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:42 am

was there a status update on the application tracker when scholarship information was sent out?

gpatino

Postby gpatino » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:42 am

ab616 wrote:

"If you do not have a Hofstra email, please email lawadmissions@hofstra.edu or call (516) 463-5916."

Email them!

ab616

Postby ab616 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:08 pm

gpatino wrote:
ab616 wrote:

"If you do not have a Hofstra email, please email lawadmissions@hofstra.edu or call (516) 463-5916."

Email them!

alright, they said i should get it in a few days but these applications are due the 1st of February. Can anyone check if the letters of recommendation for the LGBT Rights or Dwight L. Greene Memorial scholarship have to be new letters or can you use the ones from your application?

Bratty_60

Postby Bratty_60 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:10 pm

It has to be new letters

ab616

Postby ab616 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Bratty_60 wrote:It has to be new letters

thank you!

NYC KID

Postby NYC KID » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:30 pm

Bratty_60 wrote:nyc kid, are you on law school numbers? and what school do you think you will be going to?

Sorry, didn't see this till now. I'm actually not on LSN at the moment. As for which school I might choose it's too early to tell. Still waiting on like 8 schools.

umarzulqarnain

Postby umarzulqarnain » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:19 pm

has anyone successfully negotiated an increase in scholarship from Hofstra?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:57 pm

What tends to be the process for acceptance at Hofstra? I see some people went to admissions committee review? Is this a final stage or is this a hold area? Can anyone let me know how their status progressed? Thanks!

dems87

Postby dems87 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:58 pm

BearsGrl wrote:What tends to be the process for acceptance at Hofstra? I see some people went to admissions committee review? Is this a final stage or is this a hold area? Can anyone let me know how their status progressed? Thanks!

I went complete on 1/9 and then accepted on 1/13...I was never under review. Hope this helps!

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:04 pm

In with 30K/YR. Has anyone had any luck negotiating more from an initial 30K offer? I think that is the most they give aside from there full scholly which I believe is limited in numbers.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:23 pm

MellowMantis wrote:In with 30K/YR. Has anyone had any luck negotiating more from an initial 30K offer? I think that is the most they give aside from there full scholly which I believe is limited in numbers.

If offered 30K/YR, I'd be afraid to attempt to further negotiate in fear of my admisson being rescinded due to my reprehensible acquisitiveness. In laymen's terms: you sound really, really f_____g greedy. Especially considering that your tuition would be less than $15,000/year.

dems87

Postby dems87 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:47 pm

suits00 wrote:
MellowMantis wrote:In with 30K/YR. Has anyone had any luck negotiating more from an initial 30K offer? I think that is the most they give aside from there full scholly which I believe is limited in numbers.

If offered 30K/YR, I'd be afraid to attempt to further negotiate in fear of my admisson being rescinded due to my reprehensible acquisitiveness. In laymen's terms: you sound really, really f_____g greedy. Especially considering that your tuition would be less than $15,000/year.

It's not greedy to ask/negotiate for a higher scholly; $45,000 in student loans is a lot of money. Besides, It's not unheard of for applicants to try and negotiate for more and IMHO it's probably more prevalent than you think. As long as the person is polite/respectful and makes sure to convey how appreciative they already are then I don't see a problem with it at all. I mean you could be leaving thousands of dollars on the table - why wouldn't you ask/negotiate for it?

suits00

Postby suits00 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:57 pm

dems87 wrote:
suits00 wrote:

It's not greedy to ask/negotiate for a higher scholly; $45,000 in student loans is a lot of money. Besides, It's not unheard of for applicants to try and negotiate for more and IMHO it's probably more prevalent than you think. As long as the person is polite/respectful and makes sure to convey how appreciative they already are then I don't see a problem with it at all. I mean you could be leaving thousands of dollars on the table - why wouldn't you ask/negotiate for it?

I agree that it's generally not greedy to ask/negotiate for a higher scholly.
I agree that $45,000 in student loans is a lot of money (Note that Hofstra's tuition is only $2,626 less han Harvard).
I agree that it's not unheard of for applicants to try to negotiate for more and I would not be surprised if it is prevalent.
My point is that if Hofstra is offering you $30,000 per year (or almost $100,000 total), that it could appear to be greedy if you want more. You mentioned that $45,000 per year is a lot. The person I am talking about would be paying LESS THAN $15,000! In other words...where's the gratitude or humility?

Wait—were you saying that $45,000 is a lot for an entire law school education?

dems87

Postby dems87 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:23 pm

suits00 wrote:
dems87 wrote:
suits00 wrote:

I agree that it's generally not greedy to ask/negotiate for a higher scholly.
I agree that $45,000 in student loans is a lot of money (Note that Hofstra's tuition is only $2,626 less han Harvard).
I agree that it's not unheard of for applicants to try to negotiate for more and I would not be surprised if it is prevalent.
My point is that if Hofstra is offering you $30,000 per year (or almost $100,000 total), that it could appear to be greedy if you want more. You mentioned that $45,000 per year is a lot. The person I am talking about would be paying LESS THAN $15,000! In other words...where's the humility?

Wait—were you saying that $45,000 is a lot for an entire law school education?

I agree it COULD but, it doesn't have to...that was my point

Yes I was saying $45,000 after three years of law school is still a lot of money. I realize that, relatively speaking, only paying $45,000 for an entire law school education is pretty cheap but it's still a pretty sizable amount when thinking in terms of what that money could have gone towards

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:19 pm

suits00 wrote:

Wait, isn't negotiating for more money the majority of some lawyers' lives? Wouldn't a law school promote this kind of behavior in their future firm lawyers? :mrgreen:

suits00

Postby suits00 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:23 am

lol good point

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:28 am

Perhaps someone could provide even some anecdotal evidence to where politely attempting to negotiate further scholarship money has resulted in some negative reaction from the law school. I firmly believe if the request or inquiry for additional aid is made with humility and appreciation for the initial offer that no serious repercussions are possible. I was questioning the matter more from a position of whether anyone has had success from this point in negotiation opposed to will they view me as greedy or unappreciative. As many have stated before, this is a business transaction which, in the eyes of the admissions committe, far exceeds the intrinsic value of the journey through law school. I believe that anyone with any offer or any options should be attempting to maximize their aid and put themsleves in an advantageous position after graduating with even some inevitable debt that is acquired through cost of living expenses.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:51 pm

MellowMantis wrote:Perhaps someone could provide even some anecdotal evidence to where politely attempting to negotiate further scholarship money has resulted in some negative reaction from the law school. I firmly believe if the request or inquiry for additional aid is made with humility and appreciation for the initial offer that no serious repercussions are possible. I was questioning the matter more from a position of whether anyone has had success from this point in negotiation opposed to will they view me as greedy or unappreciative. As many have stated before, this is a business transaction which, in the eyes of the admissions committe, far exceeds the intrinsic value of the journey through law school. I believe that anyone with any offer or any options should be attempting to maximize their aid and put themsleves in an advantageous position after graduating with even some inevitable debt that is acquired through cost of living expenses.

I would think that unless you had a competing and higher offer from another school and only if you were serious about attending Hofstra as opposed to other schools, then I would think $45,000 for a full legal education is pretty cheap overall. Most state schools will still run their in-state residents around $60,000 and that's not even including rent.

But yes, if you had a comparable offer from a comparable school, I could see you faxing over the other school's offer so that Hofstra knew you were serious. I think that just asking for an increase for the sake of an increase is less achievable. Not necessarily unachievable, but merely less likely. I think if you are pursuing a dual program at the school, it is also possible to ask for an increase as you would not only be paying for law school, but for the other educational track as well.

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:01 am

BearsGrl wrote:
MellowMantis wrote:Perhaps someone could provide even some anecdotal evidence to where politely attempting to negotiate further scholarship money has resulted in some negative reaction from the law school. I firmly believe if the request or inquiry for additional aid is made with humility and appreciation for the initial offer that no serious repercussions are possible. I was questioning the matter more from a position of whether anyone has had success from this point in negotiation opposed to will they view me as greedy or unappreciative. As many have stated before, this is a business transaction which, in the eyes of the admissions committe, far exceeds the intrinsic value of the journey through law school. I believe that anyone with any offer or any options should be attempting to maximize their aid and put themsleves in an advantageous position after graduating with even some inevitable debt that is acquired through cost of living expenses.

I would think that unless you had a competing and higher offer from another school and only if you were serious about attending Hofstra as opposed to other schools, then I would
think $45,000 for a full legal education is pretty cheap overall. Most state schools will still
run their in-state residents around $60,000 and that's not even including rent.

This is a fair analysis. I'll keep this in mind as I move ahead. Thank you.

But yes, if you had a comparable offer from a comparable school, I could see you faxing over the other school's offer so that Hofstra knew you were serious. I think that just asking for an increase for the sake of an increase is less achievable. Not necessarily unachievable, but merely less likely. I think if you are pursuing a dual program at the school, it is also possible to ask for an increase as you would not only be paying for law school, but for the other educational track as well.

Jante05

Postby Jante05 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 pm

If you look at the rest of the letter there's a stipulation for these schollys. For some reason I have not received a letter about scholly $. How did you receive notification by email or snail mail?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:29 pm

MellowMantis wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

I would think that unless you had a competing and higher offer from another school and only if you were serious about attending Hofstra as opposed to other schools, then I would
think $45,000 for a full legal education is pretty cheap overall. Most state schools will still
run their in-state residents around $60,000 and that's not even including rent.

This is a fair analysis. I'll keep this in mind as I move ahead. Thank you.

There are some schools that just won't budge with their offers. And I think some applicants are expecting money when they won't get it. I don't mean you personally, but in a general context. Then there are also some schools that initially offer and as scholarship money leaves (applicants decide to attend another school), that pool of money gets dispersed among those accepted for an increase.

I don't know how Hofstra operates with this philosophy though. I heard Tulane doesn't budge and I've heard that U of San Diego has given increases in past cycles.

lushes3

Postby lushes3 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Did anyone get a scholarship without having the "honors scholarship" letter listed on status checker, like in the actual acceptance package? Or any scholarship at all for the part time program? All my status checker says is Acceptance letter mailed...

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Got my scholly info via snail mail. $25k which is more than St. John's gave me and Hofstra is only 20 minutes away from me. Looks like I'm leaning more towards here now.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”