Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
apslaw1031

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby apslaw1031 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:04 pm

gottwins wrote:In off of the waitlist via status checker! Very happy! Have no other info, though, haven't received an email or letter yet. :D

CONGRATS!

You know what's amusing?
I asked to be switched from PT to FT and they approved it yesterday, which means that a spot in the PT class opened up-- which apparently you took! LOL...
I realize that the chance of you literally getting "my seat" in the PT class is slim, but it made me chuckle when I saw you were admitted right after I got switched to FT since you said we have almost the exact same stats.

See you in the fall! :D

coobs

Postby coobs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:28 pm

congrats!! can i ask what ur numbers are?

apslaw1031

Postby apslaw1031 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Idk about gottwins, but mine numbers are close to (for the sake of a little anonymity) 157/3.
Admitted off wait list with a 20k scholly.

Hope that helps!

gottwins

Postby gottwins » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Yup, my numbers are close to that, and no scholarship, as of yet. I finished undergrad many years ago and have a graduate degree with honors. I have strong soft factors, so I'd imagine that they were seriously considered. Does Hofstra send their scholarship offers with initial acceptance emails?
So, apslaw1031, now you'll totally know who I am when you see the student who looks like she could be your mom <sigh>...although I'd like to think that I look a little younger than that. Thanks for changing to FT and passing your seat on to me!!
Coobs, if you are on the waitlist, wishing you luck...

DreamLaw0915

Postby DreamLaw0915 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:44 am

gottwins wrote:Yup, my numbers are close to that, and no scholarship, as of yet. I finished undergrad many years ago and have a graduate degree with honors. I have strong soft factors, so I'd imagine that they were seriously considered. Does Hofstra send their scholarship offers with initial acceptance emails?
So, apslaw1031, now you'll totally know who I am when you see the student who looks like she could be your mom <sigh>...although I'd like to think that I look a little younger than that. Thanks for changing to FT and passing your seat on to me!!
Coobs, if you are on the waitlist, wishing you luck...

Congrats! I was happy to see that you were admitted and I hope the surgery went well, and your mother is feeling better! See you in the Fall!

coobs

Postby coobs » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:55 pm

gottwins, thanks. I'm on the waitlist. I have strong softs but my lsat is weak...so i'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best =)

gottwins

Postby gottwins » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:26 pm

coobs wrote:gottwins, thanks. I'm on the waitlist. I have strong softs but my lsat is weak...so i'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best =)

I'll continue to think good thoughts for you and send positive vibes!

And Dreamlaw, thanks...surgery was successful and my mom is on the mend. See you in the Fall!

apslaw1031

Postby apslaw1031 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Are any of you guys going to the merit scholar events that are coming up?

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:14 am

apslaw1031 wrote:Are any of you guys going to the merit scholar events that are coming up?

I'll be at Gov. Paterson's lunch. So crazy/exciting!

donklob

Postby donklob » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:35 pm

On the waitlist also. Called this week the woman stated I should hear something next week (week of June 10th) I did all I could ( LOCI, updated resume with internship at a law firm and third LOR) kind of worried that some people have gotten an answer already and I'm still waitlisted on the status checker :( hope we who really want it still have a shot!

apslaw1031

Postby apslaw1031 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:41 pm

Hey, you guys!
So I had actually withdrawn from Hofstra in favor of Cardozo. I was accepted off their waitlist with a 15k scholarship. That happened a few weeks ago.
Today, Hofstra sent me an email stating that they increased my award offer to a full tuition scholarship plus housing. Now I'm really torn because Cardozo has a better rank and rep than Hofstra, but Hofstra would be 40k cheaper per year. Also, I would only have to stay in the top 80% of my class at Cardozo to keep that money whereas my scholarship offer at Hofstra has the 40% stip on it.

I have to admit that I'm still leaning towards 'Dozo, but I'm torn.

What would you guys do? :?

PS: The fact that I would have to share a bedroom in the dorm at Hofstra is a definite con.

thomas7669

Postby thomas7669 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Wait they offered you free housing? Did you have a seat deposit down? I never put one in because I had full scholarships at higher ranked schools, but I would have considered it for free housing. As it stands now I am going to be commuting about a half hour every day.

As for your decision I would pick Hofstra. After Fordham all the NY law schools are pretty much the same in terms of employment prospects. Top 5-10% get biglaw, everybody else has to hustle. Every dollar you borrow now has to be paid back with interest. It isnt worth borrowing more unless you have significantly higher employment prospects.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”