Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Sherlock1708
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Sherlock1708 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Is anyone going to the admitted students' reception on 4/10? Also, do most students live near the school? If I attend, I would probably live in Brooklyn near my sister but I wonder if the commute on the LIRR every day will get old?

User avatar
argentinaguy9885
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby argentinaguy9885 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 am

Sherlock1708 wrote:Is anyone going to the admitted students' reception on 4/10? Also, do most students live near the school? If I attend, I would probably live in Brooklyn near my sister but I wonder if the commute on the LIRR every day will get old?


I'm thinking of living in Brooklyn as well. Maybe we can carpool?

User avatar
Jimbola
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Jimbola » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 am

zuckaz48 wrote:
Jimbola wrote:Just got a letter upping my scholarship by ALOT. Here's hoping you get that letter too!


same here. it came outta no where but with this increase i'm basically going to law school for free.

assuming i live with mommy and daddy


Same thing for me. I think it might have to do with having gone to ASD and enough people withdrawing. I did not ask for an increase.

User avatar
Sherlock1708
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Sherlock1708 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:44 am

argentinaguy9885 wrote:
Sherlock1708 wrote:Is anyone going to the admitted students' reception on 4/10? Also, do most students live near the school? If I attend, I would probably live in Brooklyn near my sister but I wonder if the commute on the LIRR every day will get old?


I'm thinking of living in Brooklyn as well. Maybe we can carpool?


Where in Brooklyn are you thinking of living? My sister lives in the Brooklyner... but I definitely can't afford that rent while in school. I'm going to try to live in walking distance to Atlantic Station in order to pick up the LIRR. I looked on craiglist for apts around Hofstra and they look pretty sketchy.

User avatar
coobs
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:05 am

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby coobs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:00 am

Sherlock1708 wrote:
argentinaguy9885 wrote:
Sherlock1708 wrote:Is anyone going to the admitted students' reception on 4/10? Also, do most students live near the school? If I attend, I would probably live in Brooklyn near my sister but I wonder if the commute on the LIRR every day will get old?


I'm thinking of living in Brooklyn as well. Maybe we can carpool?


Where in Brooklyn are you thinking of living? My sister lives in the Brooklyner... but I definitely can't afford that rent while in school. I'm going to try to live in walking distance to Atlantic Station in order to pick up the LIRR. I looked on craiglist for apts around Hofstra and they look pretty sketchy.



i live in commuting distance of hofstra. If you want my help, i can kind of guide you as to where to look and not look for an apartment, but i'd need to know top price your willing to pay for an apartment.

User avatar
Sherlock1708
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Sherlock1708 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:35 am

Hi coobs,

I'm not sure if this is realistic, but is there anything decent for around $1,500? (I'm not looking for a luxury high-rise but just something in a safe area) I do have 2 dogs though, so it might be harder for me to find an apt. I lived in NYC for 3 years so I know what prices are like in Manhattan and I know I definitely can't afford that on my budget. Do most law students have a car? If I lived in Brooklyn, I wouldn't bring my car. But if I find something around Hofstra, I'm thinking a car might be necessary?

Burton8219
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:57 am

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Burton8219 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:45 am

Sherlock1708 wrote:Hi coobs,

I'm not sure if this is realistic, but is there anything decent for around $1,500? (I'm not looking for a luxury high-rise but just something in a safe area) I do have 2 dogs though, so it might be harder for me to find an apt. I lived in NYC for 3 years so I know what prices are like in Manhattan and I know I definitely can't afford that on my budget. Do most law students have a car? If I lived in Brooklyn, I wouldn't bring my car. But if I find something around Hofstra, I'm thinking a car might be necessary?

A car is a must if you live on Long Island... you can take the bus, but like most public transportation it takes over 2x the time to get where you need to be. I live about a half hour from Roosevelt Field Mall by car and it took me over an hour and half to get there by bus one time when I was a kid.

jozzy22
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby jozzy22 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:22 am

For anyone looking for housing near the law school I have two friends that found something in hempstead for around $800 on craig's list. The neighborhood isn't that great but it certainly isn't as bad as people make it out to be. The issue for both of them is the amount of undergrads that go out to the nightlife in the area not gangs or anything of the sort.

User avatar
zuckaz48
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby zuckaz48 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Jimbola wrote:
zuckaz48 wrote:
Jimbola wrote:Just got a letter upping my scholarship by ALOT. Here's hoping you get that letter too!


same here. it came outta no where but with this increase i'm basically going to law school for free.

assuming i live with mommy and daddy


Same thing for me. I think it might have to do with having gone to ASD and enough people withdrawing. I did not ask for an increase.


i didnt even go to asd

User avatar
argentinaguy9885
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby argentinaguy9885 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:18 pm

What scholarship amounts were you guys originally offered and what were they raised to?

ashen
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby ashen » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:24 pm

argentinaguy9885 wrote:What scholarship amounts were you guys originally offered and what were they raised to?

Initially no scholly PT. Was offered $25,000/yr if I switched to FT.

User avatar
zuckaz48
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby zuckaz48 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:50 pm

argentinaguy9885 wrote:What scholarship amounts were you guys originally offered and what were they raised to?


30k-40k. pretty sweet, and generous too

User avatar
Jimbola
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Jimbola » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:32 am

zuckaz48 wrote:
argentinaguy9885 wrote:What scholarship amounts were you guys originally offered and what were they raised to?


30k-40k. pretty sweet, and generous too


Yeah, I was all set to go to St. John's till this came around. I really don't know what to do.

oleosmirf
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:12 am

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby oleosmirf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:36 am

Hey everyone unless Hofstra throws $20,000+ to keep me, I'll be withdrawing.

I really liked the school (especially the international law program) but unfortunately my LSAT scores have forced me outside of the top 50 with little to no scholarships. I just think its ridiculous that these schools charge the same as Columbia and Harvard yet offer so much less. Only the top 15-20% of the graduating class (for schools in the 75-100 range) have any hope of landing a good job. Its a real shame because I liked Hofstra, but accumulating 100K+ in debt to acquire a job likely paying 40-60K a year is a mistake I'm not willing to make. As a NJ resident, I can't fathom paying an extra 60,000-70,000 (and going into debt) for a school that is essentially the same as Rutgers.

User avatar
Jimbola
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Jimbola » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Yeah dude. You'll be fine at Rutgers. Good luck!

User avatar
thenerd
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby thenerd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:58 am

File pending committee review...fml

ashleyryan
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby ashleyryan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:34 am

mine has been with the committee since 2/28. bammm.

User avatar
Jimbola
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Jimbola » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:10 pm

deposit part one is in for me. Can't wait for me undergrad loans to be deferred lol

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby JCFindley » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:34 am

Accepted today......

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Wily » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:17 pm

I just withdrew my full-ride to Hofstra. Hope it goes to some lucky person here!

blurose
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby blurose » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:30 am

I was admitted a while back and initially offered 35k a year which then got upped to a full-tuition scholarship. I didn't request it so that was a pleasant surprise! I have submitted my seat deposit but I am riding out seven waitlists, and most likely eight when my last school gives me a response. (I'm a female URM splitter, high LSAT, low GPA). So, I am hoping to open up this space and free up this money for one of you waitlisted folk to attend. Good luck to everyone!

ashen
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby ashen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Withdrew today, hope someone else gets my spot and 25k =p

AKelly_5
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby AKelly_5 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Got my acceptance on May 3rd with a full academic scholarship. I'm a Canadian and have no clue about the Long Island area. Have to decide by May 10th to accept my scholarship. Can anybody give me some details on the school and such

User avatar
Jimbola
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Jimbola » Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 am

It's a regional school located on the boarders of the rich, the poor, and the middle class of Long Island. Good grades and networking can give you a possibility of NYC employment.

More specific questions about the school will give you better answers, but congrats! Free law school pretty cool!

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: Hofstra Law Class of 2015

Postby Wily » Tue May 08, 2012 10:25 am

AKelly_5 wrote:Got my acceptance on May 3rd with a full academic scholarship. I'm a Canadian and have no clue about the Long Island area. Have to decide by May 10th to accept my scholarship. Can anybody give me some details on the school and such


As someone who applied to Hofstra (but withdrew), and someone who's lived on Long Island his whole life, I would recommend against Hofstra if you don't want to work in either NYC or Long Island. The median outcome from Hofstra is probably to work on Long Island or maybe Queens or Brooklyn. I work in a small law firm in Garden City, next to Hofstra, and two of the four lawyers are Hofstra grads; I've also worked at another firm where the head partner was a Hofstra grad. That said, Hofstra is not a bad school if you want to work in a small firm on Long Island; just be sure that's what you want to do if you attend. Hope that helps.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”