In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

freestallion

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby freestallion » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 pm

annyong wrote:
freestallion wrote:HOLY SHIT! Just got the call, interview for RTK scholarship out of nowhere. Never expected this, especially not now. WOW. The interview sounds really intimidating though...

A free trip to New York sounds good though.... :D

Edit: Man, I'm so torn now! I feel like I should decide now-ish because the turnaround time of 3 days is too little to make an informed decision. RTK was my absolute dream when I was first looking at schools, but now I'm not so sure. I am still leaning towards Harvard because I think I'll have the same public interest opportunities (possibly more due to Harvard's name, connections, international reputation etc) and the fact is with the Low Income Protection Plan at HLS, I won't have a problem taking a non-profit job. I guess I don't see how the RTK would be THAT much better than taking a low-paying job out of HLS. Either way I wouldn't have to pay much - if any - of my loans. I do feel like I would love the atmosphere at NYU, the focus on public interest, and being in NYC to do internships on the side with organizations I love. Another downside to NYU, though, is grades. I really don't want to have to worry about grades.

Congrats!! No downside to doing the interview though, right? I'm doing the interview for the AnBryce even though I have some idea of where I'd like to end up already (and 3 days is a ridiculous turnaround). Does this mean you'll be at the March 30th ASW too?

Yeah, I guess there is really no downside, except I have to take more days off work. I just find it frustrating that the ASW is on a Thursday and Friday (I think?). I'll probably try to go though I'm not entirely sure I can make both days due to work.

boosk

Postby boosk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:03 am

freestallion wrote:I just find it frustrating that the ASW is on a Thursday and Friday

I'm with you on that... which is why i probly won't make it to one... although i understand that it needs to be during the week in order to sit in on a class...

izy223

Postby izy223 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:22 am

boosk wrote:
freestallion wrote:I just find it frustrating that the ASW is on a Thursday and Friday

I'm with you on that... which is why i probly won't make it to one... although i understand that it needs to be during the week in order to sit in on a class...

agreed as well. i pushed off the first weekend already and may push off the second

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:28 pm

Is anyone planning on just attending one day for the next one (29-30)?

I'm leaning toward the Friday session as it seems it is the longer of the two and has more stuff.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:16 pm

icedflames wrote:Is anyone planning on just attending one day for the next one (29-30)?

I'm leaning toward the Friday session as it seems it is the longer of the two and has more stuff.

I'm going for the CLS/NYU double so I'll probably be focusing on the NYU Friday events as well.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
icedflames wrote:Is anyone planning on just attending one day for the next one (29-30)?

I'm going for the CLS/NYU double so I'll probably be focusing on the NYU Friday events as well.

+1

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Yeah I'm thinking of just taking the train Thurs night and going to the Friday events. I think 1 day will be enough... it gets overwhelming and blurs together with information overload after 2 days, anyway =/

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Visiting NYU is only half the fun. I need to take a couple days to tour the city too.

ETA: Plus information sessions are pretty low on the list of reasons I'm going. Someone that went to the 1st ASW correct me if I'm wrong, but the info is probably stuff you can read in a pamphlet, viewbook or find online. Getting a feel for the school, city, administration and student body are what I'm more interested in. Also if you have any specific questions for current students or administration.

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:41 pm

blue_c wrote:Visiting NYU is only half the fun. I need to take a couple days to tour the city too.

ETA: Plus information sessions are pretty low on the list of reasons I'm going. Someone that went to the 1st ASW correct me if I'm wrong, but the info is probably stuff you can read in a pamphlet, viewbook or find online. Getting a feel for the school, city, administration and student body are what I'm more interested in. Also if you have any specific questions for current students or administration.

Honestly, I didn't go to the Friday session. It looked like mostly informational stuff. The first day, I got to talk to students during the tour and the pizza party. The next two days, I explored the city. IMO way more fun than listening to people talk :P

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Seems pretty obvious, but you should all make sure to visit Washington Square Park btw. It would be criminal to go all the way to NYU and not visit.

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Isn't it right across the street? I feel like you would have to actively avoid going to not visit it.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 pm

blue_c wrote:Isn't it right across the street? I feel like you would have to actively avoid going to not visit it.

Trust me when I say that in New York this is a very real possibility.

bleylaw

Postby bleylaw » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:54 pm

maybe stupid question, is there merit-aid at nyu? anyone hear anything yet

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:56 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
blue_c wrote:Isn't it right across the street? I feel like you would have to actively avoid going to not visit it.

Not really.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:59 pm

bleylaw wrote:maybe stupid question, is there merit-aid at nyu? anyone hear anything yet

It will be coming out soon and you can rest assured that when it does this thread will blow up.

crooked

Postby crooked » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:04 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:

Not really.

WSP is kind of under construction right now, so it's less than exciting to visit at the moment. Also, when I was at ASD, I didn't set foot in the park despite walking past it a number of times. It's really nice and fun to hang out in when it's not full of cranes and fences.

In response to the people asking about the Friday programming: I don't know if the other ASDs will have the same program, but I really enjoyed some of the Friday content. The risk management and corporate governance panel (with two name partners from Wachtell, two Simpson partners - including one who represented Treasury on TARP - and the general counsel to MF Global) was really interesting, and the mock con law class was pretty cool. I didn't go to the financial aid panels, because that seemed to be information you could get out of a viewbook or website. I would highly recommend walking around the Village and getting a sense of the area. Since NYU isn't really a campus, you'd be spending a lot of time in the neighborhood as a student.

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:13 pm

crooked wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:

Not really.

WSP is kind of under construction right now, so it's less than exciting to visit at the moment. Also, when I was at ASD, I didn't set foot in the park despite walking past it a number of times. It's really nice and fun to hang out in when it's not full of cranes and fences.

In response to the people asking about the Friday programming: I don't know if the other ASDs will have the same program, but I really enjoyed some of the Friday content. The risk management and corporate governance panel (with two name partners from Wachtell, two Simpson partners - including one who represented Treasury on TARP - and the general counsel to MF Global) was really interesting, and the mock con law class was pretty cool. I didn't go to the financial aid panels, because that seemed to be information you could get out of a viewbook or website. I would highly recommend walking around the Village and getting a sense of the area. Since NYU isn't really a campus, you'd be spending a lot of time in the neighborhood as a student.

+1 The corporate governance panel was really cool, it didn't directly relate to NYU stuff, but it was very interesting and worth attending. I agree that that if you're well versed in the TLS hivemind, a lot of the information is redundant (though I admit having the realities of legal hiring hammered home by actual partners is good). I also had an awesome time hanging out with current students, both at the Pizza Party and the Bar Review event. Everyone I talked to seemed genuinely nice/happy to be there, and it definitely seemed like the collegiality they talked about was real.

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:06 pm

maxpower430 wrote:
crooked wrote:In response to the people asking about the Friday programming: I don't know if the other ASDs will have the same program, but I really enjoyed some of the Friday content. The risk management and corporate governance panel (with two name partners from Wachtell, two Simpson partners - including one who represented Treasury on TARP - and the general counsel to MF Global) was really interesting, and the mock con law class was pretty cool. I didn't go to the financial aid panels, because that seemed to be information you could get out of a viewbook or website. I would highly recommend walking around the Village and getting a sense of the area. Since NYU isn't really a campus, you'd be spending a lot of time in the neighborhood as a student.

+1 The corporate governance panel was really cool, it didn't directly relate to NYU stuff, but it was very interesting and worth attending. I agree that that if you're well versed in the TLS hivemind, a lot of the information is redundant (though I admit having the realities of legal hiring hammered home by actual partners is good). I also had an awesome time hanging out with current students, both at the Pizza Party and the Bar Review event. Everyone I talked to seemed genuinely nice/happy to be there, and it definitely seemed like the collegiality they talked about was real.

Another +1 on the corporate governance panel. (It wasn't a huge room. What were the odds that at least 3 TLS-ers would be there?!) I'm not really interested in that career but it was fascinating to hear those guys talk, so much so that I didn't even mind that it bled into lunch. I also loved the one kid's question about whether the companies are trying to block financial regulation because they're evil. I'm not sure what answer he expected...

nbagirl73

Postby nbagirl73 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:55 pm

rtk invite today! couldn't be more excited!! and good luck to all still waiting.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:42 pm

nbagirl73 wrote:rtk invite today! couldn't be more excited!! and good luck to all still waiting.

Congrats!

Fiddler08

Postby Fiddler08 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:13 pm

Anyone know if there will be any more IILJ finalist notifications going out before the next ASW?

kleenbean88

Postby kleenbean88 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 am

Do you also receive an email after being called as an RTK finalist?

boosk

Postby boosk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:25 pm

is anyone planning on submitting a request for deferral? or is there anyone that has done so successfully? unsuccessfully?

finally, would anyone be willing to critique and/or exchange deferral requests?

Thanks in advance!

nbagirl73

Postby nbagirl73 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:03 pm

kleenbean88 wrote:Do you also receive an email after being called as an RTK finalist?

No email for me- but I answered the phone call on his first try. Said he would send details by email but not until next week.

boosk

Postby boosk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Just got my aid award. Grand total of...

NOTHING

does this mean im SOL?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”