In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

Bronck

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:38 am

What did you expect? Manhattan is one of the most liberal places in the country, and NYU is a very liberal school.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:01 am

Bronck wrote:What did you expect? Manhattan is one of the most liberal places in the country, and NYU is a very liberal school.

Nowhere in my post did I say I was surprised. In fact, I would say the opposite: based on the NYU-OWS-Village-Hipster stereotype (ie the people you see when walking down Waverly from the 1 train), I was almost expecting more. That having been said, I did feel a contrast between NYU and Columbia.

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:06 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
ahnhub wrote:Went on Thursday, attended 1)student panel, 2)campus tour, 3)student activities fair, 4)alumni panel, 5)class visit--Con Law, 5)pizza party.

I got the most sense of "vibe" at the student activities fair. Everyone was very friendly, and no one seemed remotely aspie. Some of the people didn't even seem that interested in selling their organization--they were just having fun, hanging out, etc. They were more like the smart, outgoing student-government and Yearbook-type people from high school, not the super-focused valedictorian-type. The big caveat for me was that all of these people volunteered to do this, and I regret I didn't get the chance to stop random people and ask them about NYU.

Job prospects were a big question from the visitors. Answers were generally optimistic--a few people told us it was back to "anyone who wants Biglaw gets it," or "anyone gets it who's not in bottom 10% or does 10 straight horrible interviews." Expected this from people trying to sell the school, but was surprised at how unified the response was. Surprised at how encouraging even the PI people were about getting a firm job.

The school bought unlimited Artichoke pizza (which is like 5$ a slice) for everyone.

*--I also met a 2nd person who turned down at least one of HYS to come to NYU, and they were very happy with their choice. Again--what I regret is not talking to random people. Will try to do that next time.

This is relevant to my interests. Anybody else feel the above poster's sentiments?

I was there and agree with his sentiments. On Friday I wandered over to Mercer (student housing), where a few random students I talked to essentially confirmed what I heard from the tour guide and at the activities fair. Everyone I found was incredibly positive about the school.

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:09 am

spaceman82 wrote:Out of curiosity, what class was this discussion taking place in?

This was a mock con law class.

crooked

Postby crooked » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Went to ASD for parts of Thursday and Friday and really enjoyed it. I'll write a recap when I have a spare second at work, but I just wanted to address the con law class and general vibe really quickly.

1) I am super ignorant of rock star law professors, so I'd never heard of Yoshino prior to the class (I should probably be embarrassed about this). I could tell pretty immediately that he had a horse in the race, but I thought he did a great job of presenting the arguments in an objective manner. I agree with soj that he introduced his arguments with a note that this was how a proponent/opponent of same-sex marriage might address the issue. I did find the bipartisan bit about the superlawyers to be pretty obviously biased, and he definitely devoted more attention to discussing strategy from the pro-same-sex marriage side (but to be honest I think from a con law perspective that's the more interesting side intellectually, and I thought the breakdown of the three possible approaches - equality/sex discrimination, equality/sexual orientation discrimination and liberty/right to marry - was really cool). I actually thought it was a great call for NYU to pick Prop 8 and same-sex marriage as the topic of the mock class: It's hugely relevant today, and pretty much everyone is familiar enough with the details that even 0Ls could follow along; it's also sufficiently controversial that it would grab people's attention and get them talking.

2) Every student I talked to was both extremely positive about the school and seemed to be presenting a fairly honest opinion of his/her experience. My 3L tour guide seemed really happy with his choice (and has a V5 job lined up), but he was quite blunt in offering his opinion of various aspects of the school and had really negative things to say about the journals specifically. I hung out with a 1L friend and some of her friends, none of whom were involved in the ASD programming, and they were all super friendly and pro-NYU, so it's not just the students they brought in to talk up the school.

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 pm

crooked wrote:Went to ASD for parts of Thursday and Friday and really enjoyed it. I'll write a recap when I have a spare second at work, but I just wanted to address the con law class and general vibe really quickly.

1) I am super ignorant of rock star law professors, so I'd never heard of Yoshino prior to the class (I should probably be embarrassed about this). I could tell pretty immediately that he had a horse in the race, but I thought he did a great job of presenting the arguments in an objective manner. I agree with soj that he introduced his arguments with a note that this was how a proponent/opponent of same-sex marriage might address the issue. I did find the bipartisan bit about the superlawyers to be pretty obviously biased, and he definitely devoted more attention to discussing strategy from the pro-same-sex marriage side (but to be honest I think from a con law perspective that's the more interesting side intellectually, and I thought the breakdown of the three possible approaches - equality/sex discrimination, equality/sexual orientation discrimination and liberty/right to marry - was really cool). I actually thought it was a great call for NYU to pick Prop 8 and same-sex marriage as the topic of the mock class: It's hugely relevant today, and pretty much everyone is familiar enough with the details that even 0Ls could follow along; it's also sufficiently controversial that it would grab people's attention and get them talking.

2) Every student I talked to was both extremely positive about the school and seemed to be presenting a fairly honest opinion of his/her experience. My 3L tour guide seemed really happy with his choice (and has a V5 job lined up), but he was quite blunt in offering his opinion of various aspects of the school and had really negative things to say about the journals specifically. I hung out with a 1L friend and some of her friends, none of whom were involved in the ASD programming, and they were all super friendly and pro-NYU, so it's not just the students they brought in to talk up the school.

Sounds like your 3L had the same thing to say as my 3L about journals (unless we had the same 3L???)

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:13 pm

tamereth wrote:
crooked wrote:Went to ASD for parts of Thursday and Friday and really enjoyed it. I'll write a recap when I have a spare second at work, but I just wanted to address the con law class and general vibe really quickly.

Sounds like your 3L had the same thing to say as my 3L about journals (unless we had the same 3L???)

What bad things did they say about journals?

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:17 pm

My guy basically told us that journals were a huge time sink and that he didn't think it was very helpful in regards to getting jobs. He did say that it might be helpful to join a journal targeted towards the area of law you want to practice.

wesleyangrad

Postby wesleyangrad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:26 pm

I was in a career panel with three partners at biglaw firms, and though they all described looking for slightly different things in interviews, they all mentioned caring about journals.

Overall, I agree with the perception of NYU students being super positive about their school. I went out of my way to find current students who were not attending admitted students events, and they were every bit as positive about NYU, as well as genuinely friendly and generous with their time. Definitely feeling like NYU this fall!!

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:31 pm

So will joining journals really take up enough time to tank your GPA?

Also, who's going to the ASW at the end of the month?!

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:32 pm

I can't wait to go at the end of the month :)

poe

Postby poe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm really hoping to make it out there at the end of the month, but I may have to wait for the April ASW. Am I the only one?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:40 pm

icedflames wrote:So will joining journals really take up enough time to tank your GPA?

Also, who's going to the ASW at the end of the month?!

Well nobody ever said that.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:45 pm

thelong wrote:I can't wait to go at the end of the month :)

Is your AnBryce interview in DC also?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Furman Scholarships, why you taking so long to come out?

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:50 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
thelong wrote:I can't wait to go at the end of the month :)

Is your AnBryce interview in DC also?

No, I'm going to NY. I'm in the Boston area.

lawhopeful2012

Postby lawhopeful2012 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:33 pm

has nyu sent out their merit scholarship offers other than the invites to apply for big ones?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:34 pm

lawhopeful2012 wrote:has nyu sent out their merit scholarship offers other than the invites to apply for big ones?

no

wesleyangrad

Postby wesleyangrad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:48 pm

icedflames wrote:So will joining journals really take up enough time to tank your GPA?

Joining a journal is definitely a time commitment, but you just have to balance it against whatever else you're doing that year. I think if you join one just for the sake of your resume, and don't plan for it taking up much time while loading up on other commitments, you could run into trouble. As long as you get a realistic sense from the people already on the journal of how much time it will take up tho, and balance out your schedule accordingly, I don't think it will be a problem.

lawhopeful2012

Postby lawhopeful2012 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:48 pm

okay thanks

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Got the call, selected as a RTK finalist. So honored and nervous about interview. Looking forward to meeting TLSers at the ASW.
Last edited by Perdevise on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Perdevise wrote:Got the call, selected as a RTK finalist. So honored and nervous about interview. Anyone going to the ASW on March 29th/30th?

Congrats!

No. No one.

(See you there)

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:06 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
thelong wrote:I'll (most likely) actually be in NY on Saturday. Just in time to miss all of you 1 ASWers :(.

Oh well, I can't wait for the end of the month to meet the number 2s.

Awwwwwwww yeaaaahhhhhh. :D

Right thelong! I'll try to find a penguin-emblazoned Linux t-shirt.

80eight

Postby 80eight » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Perdevise wrote:Got the call, selected as a RTK finalist. So honored and nervous about interview. Looking forward to meeting TLSers at the ASW.

Congrats!! I am SUPER jealous right now...

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:13 pm

80eight wrote:
Perdevise wrote:Got the call, selected as a RTK finalist. So honored and nervous about interview. Looking forward to meeting TLSers at the ASW.

Congrats!! I am SUPER jealous right now...

Same. I know they say a watched pot never boils. Hope the same doesn't go for a watched phone.

Hoping for some news this afternoon. (really, any news would be great, but good news would be even better).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”