In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
1
6%
Section 2
3
19%
Section 3
1
6%
Section 4
3
19%
Section 5
3
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
1
6%
Creeper option
4
25%
 
Total votes: 16

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby hypothalamus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:14 pm

I clearly remember someone mentioning drinks tonight... What happened with that? Can it please happen? :)

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby ahnhub » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:17 pm

So I went to Thursday ASW and my student tour guide was a 2L who said he hired a broker and signed a lease for a $3000 1-bedroom in the East Village a week after he got an offer at EIW (all on loans--apparently NYU FinAid will let you do this). Also said he basically no longer studies, and his #1 reason for going to law school was to be able to afford Prada shoes. The guy was fun.

I missed Friday--will NYU let me attend the 2nd day at the next ASW?

User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby curiouscat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:58 am

Bronck wrote:Looks like in 2010, scholarships were released March 9: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109030#p2686316 (Tuesday of second week in March)

And looking through LSN, in 2011 some people, at least, got them March 11 (Friday of second week in March)

So my guess is that we can expect them next Friday, or early the following week (March 9th-13th or so)


At the financial aid presentation, they said that scholarship/aid information is going to come out mid-March.

Gorges
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby Gorges » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:15 am

ahnhub wrote:I missed Friday--will NYU let me attend the 2nd day at the next ASW?


Yes! I was at the most recent ASW and missed Day 1, and the nice admissions folk said you can basically come back to campus any time, ASW or not.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby Bronck » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:25 pm

curiouscat wrote:
Bronck wrote:Looks like in 2010, scholarships were released March 9: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109030#p2686316 (Tuesday of second week in March)

And looking through LSN, in 2011 some people, at least, got them March 11 (Friday of second week in March)

So my guess is that we can expect them next Friday, or early the following week (March 9th-13th or so)


At the financial aid presentation, they said that scholarship/aid information is going to come out mid-March.


Oh cool, thanks for the update!

ETA: Going to go with the end of next week as my estimate then.

poe
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby poe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:18 pm

Did anyone else fill out the "connect with a professor" section on the admitted students website and never get a response? I feel vaguely insulted - like they passed on my file and no professors thought I was worth the time, lol.

User avatar
blue_c
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:06 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby blue_c » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:14 pm

I didn't do the connect with a professor thing, but I just got an email titled "NYU Law Alumni Match". A graduate from a few years ago that, from what I can tell, I have nothing in common with. Except that he is a dude. And went to law school. When I saw the word "match" I expected someone with a background a little more similar to mine.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby FryBreadPower » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:32 pm

curiouscat wrote:
Bronck wrote:Looks like in 2010, scholarships were released March 9: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109030#p2686316 (Tuesday of second week in March)

And looking through LSN, in 2011 some people, at least, got them March 11 (Friday of second week in March)

So my guess is that we can expect them next Friday, or early the following week (March 9th-13th or so)


At the financial aid presentation, they said that scholarship/aid information is going to come out mid-March.


Mid-March, but priority deadline is April 1st?

How does that work?

JF215
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby JF215 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:39 pm

*looks at poll* no one is going to the ASW in April? :(

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby FryBreadPower » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 pm

JF215 wrote:*looks at poll* no one is going to the ASW in April? :(


People holding out for other ASWs (one or more of Stanford/Harvard/Yale) I believe.

I know Stanford has their ASW the same weekend.

poe
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby poe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:51 pm

blue_c wrote:I didn't do the connect with a professor thing, but I just got an email titled "NYU Law Alumni Match". A graduate from a few years ago that, from what I can tell, I have nothing in common with. Except that he is a dude. And went to law school. When I saw the word "match" I expected someone with a background a little more similar to mine.


Yeah, I got one of those too. Mine went to my undergrad though, so it was more of a "match."

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby Bronck » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:24 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
curiouscat wrote:
Bronck wrote:Looks like in 2010, scholarships were released March 9: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109030#p2686316 (Tuesday of second week in March)

And looking through LSN, in 2011 some people, at least, got them March 11 (Friday of second week in March)

So my guess is that we can expect them next Friday, or early the following week (March 9th-13th or so)


At the financial aid presentation, they said that scholarship/aid information is going to come out mid-March.


Mid-March, but priority deadline is April 1st?

How does that work?


They have always had a short deadline to accept/decline their award. I think the general timeline of things is:

- Receive award
- Negotiate
- Receive response to negotiation
- Deadline shortly thereafter, but can always ask for an extension if you're waiting on other schools to give scholarship info (e.g., CLS)
Last edited by Bronck on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby Bronck » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:25 pm

blue_c wrote:I didn't do the connect with a professor thing, but I just got an email titled "NYU Law Alumni Match". A graduate from a few years ago that, from what I can tell, I have nothing in common with. Except that he is a dude. And went to law school. When I saw the word "match" I expected someone with a background a little more similar to mine.


I got one of those about a week ago. The alumnus with whom I got matched seems pretty cool. He's an associate at a V10 firm and was on LR. Have shot him a few questions so far and he's been prompt and helpful in his responses.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Can the people who went to ASW1 share their experiences please? Spanks.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby FryBreadPower » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:56 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Can the people who went to ASW1 share their experiences please? Spanks.


+1. Can't wait three weeks to know.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6043
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:57 pm

NYU 2L here,

Hope everyone enjoyed ASW. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me. If I'm unable to give a good response, I'll find someone who is.

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby lsatcrazy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Can the people who went to ASW1 share their experiences please? Spanks.

I was there on Friday, here is my experience, play by play:
1. Breakfast: Got there late. Nothing special, spoke to people around me, they were all very nice/normal.
2. Dean Revesz(sp?) Spoke: He spoke well, stressed NYU's alumni/NY location/PI bent/Faculty etc. etc., all you would expect from a Dean, nothing crazy. He seems nice and approachable. There was a little talk about "the unnamed school across town", which was a tad off-putting to me, but it was only one or two comments about poaching some faculty. Someone asked him an employment question, and he was actually quite honest (legal market is undergoing systemic changes - prospects are good, but not guaranteed, etc.)
3. Jacobsen Business Program Panel: It was supposed to be the two directors of the program, but only one showed up (the other was supposedly working on a deal at Lazard), along with a JD/MBA student. They stressed the strong alumni presence in the business world, and spoke about the Jacobsen Scholars program (very competitive: ~3 incoming 1Ls, and 8 or so rising 2Ls, if I remember correctly). Again, no surprises.
4. Clerkship Q&A: The Clerkship coordinator, a youngish professor who had clerked for Justice Stevens (I think), and a recent grad currently clerking on one of the NY district courts spoke briefly and had a Q&A. They more or less said that if you aren't picky about location, you will almost definitely land a clerkship. The same claim was made the day before at Columbia, and I'm curious to hear people's (GTL Rev, you there?) thoughts on this. Hard to believe, but maybe NYers just won't leave NY. This panel was pretty highly attended, and I will say this: The crowd was definitely somewhat different from the one at Columbia. There were more earrings/long hair on dudes/jean+t-shirts/hipster glasses etc., and probably some covered tattoos. I guess that could be a good or bad thing depending on your views, and perhaps it was an unrepresentative sample (and obviously they are only admitted, not attending - I didn't notice this among actual students, though I didn't look as carefully either). At any rate, just my observations, maybe others can weigh in.
5. Lunch: Again, spoke with people at my table, all very nice. I'm pretty sure one of the people at my table had legit Aspergers, and I think I may have met an undercover TLSer (seemed very knowledgable about LSP/LSN/various law school quirks etc.). It was very loud in the room, so I wasn't able to hear the faculty member ay my table.
6. Class by Kenji Yoshino: The class was in a large theatre, and there was no cold calling (only volunteers). It was more or less about how to best strategize the defeat of Section 8 and spread Gay rights nationally - Professor Yoshino is openly gay and an expert on LGBT rights. I felt that the class was quite biased (it was entirely assumed that Prop 8 was discriminatory/wrong etc., and the only issue was how to defeat it), though perhaps others will disagree with me about this. I did think it was a somewhat strange (at the very least bold) choice to broach such a controversial subject to admitted students, but maybe that's what they were going for.

I left after the class, as I had somewhere to be in the afternoon. There was a goody bag with random Chinese-made junk and this funky t-shirt vacuum-packed into a teeny little 4-inch-diameter coin.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed the Friday portion. Very well organized and attended, the admissions office did a very solid job. There weren't any revelations, but maybe that's just because I use TLS; to non-TLSers, some of the stuff may have been informative, I don't know. I would love to hear others opinions, especially those who were there on Thursday as well.

edit: Just to be clear, the clerkship coordinator/professor/current clerk are 3 different people.

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby ahnhub » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Went on Thursday, attended 1)student panel, 2)campus tour, 3)student activities fair, 4)alumni panel, 5)class visit--Con Law, 5)pizza party.

I got the most sense of "vibe" at the student activities fair. Everyone was very friendly, and no one seemed remotely aspie. Some of the people didn't even seem that interested in selling their organization--they were just having fun, hanging out, etc. They were more like the smart, outgoing student-government and Yearbook-type people from high school, not the super-focused valedictorian-type. The big caveat for me was that all of these people volunteered to do this, and I regret I didn't get the chance to stop random people and ask them about NYU.

Job prospects were a big question from the visitors. Answers were generally optimistic--a few people told us it was back to "anyone who wants Biglaw gets it," or "anyone gets it who's not in bottom 10% or does 10 straight horrible interviews." Expected this from people trying to sell the school, but was surprised at how unified the response was. Surprised at how encouraging even the PI people were about getting a firm job.

The school bought unlimited Artichoke pizza (which is like 5$ a slice) for everyone.

*--I also met a 2nd person who turned down at least one of HYS to come to NYU, and they were very happy with their choice. Again--what I regret is not talking to random people. Will try to do that next time.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby soj » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:50 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:6. Class by Kenji Yoshino: The class was in a large theatre, and there was no cold calling (only volunteers). It was more or less about how to best strategize the defeat of Section 8 and spread Gay rights nationally - Professor Yoshino is openly gay and an expert on LGBT rights. I felt that the class was quite biased (it was entirely assumed that Prop 8 was discriminatory/wrong etc., and the only issue was how to defeat it), though perhaps others will disagree with me about this. I did think it was a somewhat strange (at the very least bold) choice to broach such a controversial subject to admitted students, but maybe that's what they were going for.

I didn't think the lecture assumed that Prop 8 was wrong. He was careful to preface things with "if you were a proponent/opponent of Prop 8" when discussing each side's strategies (and he did discuss both sides, though he spent more time discussing the pro-equal marriage side). If a straight professor gave the same lecture, it might have seemed more objective to some students.

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 am

soj wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:6. Class by Kenji Yoshino: The class was in a large theatre, and there was no cold calling (only volunteers). It was more or less about how to best strategize the defeat of Section 8 and spread Gay rights nationally - Professor Yoshino is openly gay and an expert on LGBT rights. I felt that the class was quite biased (it was entirely assumed that Prop 8 was discriminatory/wrong etc., and the only issue was how to defeat it), though perhaps others will disagree with me about this. I did think it was a somewhat strange (at the very least bold) choice to broach such a controversial subject to admitted students, but maybe that's what they were going for.

I didn't think the lecture assumed that Prop 8 was wrong. He was careful to preface things with "if you were a proponent/opponent of Prop 8" when discussing each side's strategies (and he did discuss both sides, though he spent more time discussing the pro-equal marriage side). If a straight professor gave the same lecture, it might have seemed more objective to some students.

Maybe, but I felt the questions were pretty loaded (Don't remember all of them, but one was "Why would Boies/Olsen, who argued Bush/Gore, agree about gay marriage? [Could it be because any thinking American, regardless of their political affiliation, should be pro gay marriage?...]").

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby soj » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:28 am

lsatcrazy wrote:
soj wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:6. Class by Kenji Yoshino: The class was in a large theatre, and there was no cold calling (only volunteers). It was more or less about how to best strategize the defeat of Section 8 and spread Gay rights nationally - Professor Yoshino is openly gay and an expert on LGBT rights. I felt that the class was quite biased (it was entirely assumed that Prop 8 was discriminatory/wrong etc., and the only issue was how to defeat it), though perhaps others will disagree with me about this. I did think it was a somewhat strange (at the very least bold) choice to broach such a controversial subject to admitted students, but maybe that's what they were going for.

I didn't think the lecture assumed that Prop 8 was wrong. He was careful to preface things with "if you were a proponent/opponent of Prop 8" when discussing each side's strategies (and he did discuss both sides, though he spent more time discussing the pro-equal marriage side). If a straight professor gave the same lecture, it might have seemed more objective to some students.

Maybe, but I felt the questions were pretty loaded (Dont remember all of them, but one was "Why would Boies/Olsen, who argued Bush/Gore, agree could about gay marriage? [Could it be because any thinking American, regardless of their political affiliation, should be pro gay marriage?...]").

His answer to that question was that having those two "superlawyers" team up was an effective strategy for symbolic reasons. Because we had spent so much time discussing strategy, I didn't think that question assumed all thinking Americans should support gay marriage.

User avatar
spaceman82
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby spaceman82 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:32 am

Out of curiosity, what class was this discussion taking place in?

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:43 am

soj wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:
soj wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:6. Class by Kenji Yoshino: The class was in a large theatre, and there was no cold calling (only volunteers). It was more or less about how to best strategize the defeat of Section 8 and spread Gay rights nationally - Professor Yoshino is openly gay and an expert on LGBT rights. I felt that the class was quite biased (it was entirely assumed that Prop 8 was discriminatory/wrong etc., and the only issue was how to defeat it), though perhaps others will disagree with me about this. I did think it was a somewhat strange (at the very least bold) choice to broach such a controversial subject to admitted students, but maybe that's what they were going for.

I didn't think the lecture assumed that Prop 8 was wrong. He was careful to preface things with "if you were a proponent/opponent of Prop 8" when discussing each side's strategies (and he did discuss both sides, though he spent more time discussing the pro-equal marriage side). If a straight professor gave the same lecture, it might have seemed more objective to some students.

Maybe, but I felt the questions were pretty loaded (Dont remember all of them, but one was "Why would Boies/Olsen, who argued Bush/Gore, agree could about gay marriage? [Could it be because any thinking American, regardless of their political affiliation, should be pro gay marriage?...]").

His answer to that question was that having those two "superlawyers" team up was an effective strategy for symbolic reasons. Because we had spent so much time discussing strategy, I didn't think that question assumed all thinking Americans should support gay marriage.

I guess it was about perception. I see your point; I guess I just perceived it differently. I definitely think that even if I were blindfolded, I would have been able to tell his stance on the issue within the first 30 seconds. Don't know if that constitutes intentional bias - its probably incredibly difficult for a gay person to discuss the issue from an entirely neutral standpoint. At any rate, I think it was a cheeky choice for a mock lesson, and was likely chosen to pander to a certain crowd/stress the diversity at NYU. Soj, care to share your thoughts on the rest of the day?

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby soj » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:59 am

lsatcrazy wrote:I guess it was about perception. I see your point; I guess I just perceived it differently. I definitely think that even if I were blindfolded, I would have been able to tell his stance on the issue within the first 30 seconds. Don't know if that constitutes intentional bias - its probably incredibly difficult for a gay person to discuss the issue from an entirely neutral standpoint. At any rate, I think it was a cheeky choice for a mock lesson, and was likely chosen to pander to a certain crowd/stress the diversity at NYU. Soj, care to share your thoughts on the rest of the day?

I'll share in a few days. I'm a little busy, and I'd like some time to think about it, too.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:04 am

ahnhub wrote:Went on Thursday, attended 1)student panel, 2)campus tour, 3)student activities fair, 4)alumni panel, 5)class visit--Con Law, 5)pizza party.

I got the most sense of "vibe" at the student activities fair. Everyone was very friendly, and no one seemed remotely aspie. Some of the people didn't even seem that interested in selling their organization--they were just having fun, hanging out, etc. They were more like the smart, outgoing student-government and Yearbook-type people from high school, not the super-focused valedictorian-type. The big caveat for me was that all of these people volunteered to do this, and I regret I didn't get the chance to stop random people and ask them about NYU.

Job prospects were a big question from the visitors. Answers were generally optimistic--a few people told us it was back to "anyone who wants Biglaw gets it," or "anyone gets it who's not in bottom 10% or does 10 straight horrible interviews." Expected this from people trying to sell the school, but was surprised at how unified the response was. Surprised at how encouraging even the PI people were about getting a firm job.

The school bought unlimited Artichoke pizza (which is like 5$ a slice) for everyone.

*--I also met a 2nd person who turned down at least one of HYS to come to NYU, and they were very happy with their choice. Again--what I regret is not talking to random people. Will try to do that next time.


This is relevant to my interests. Anybody else feel the above poster's sentiments?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin and 4 guests