In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

xlawschoolhopefulx

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:59 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Just accepted today and I'm trying to find a good weekend to fly up and do Columbia and NYU together. Anyone know what the major advantages of ASW are as opposed to just visiting for a class or two and doing a regular tour?

Also has anyone been looking into apartments and found somewhat decent places for less than the $1,300ish you can do through the school?

For that price, you're probably going to have to look pretty far-ish from campus. I've found a few one bedrooms in the West Village for 2200/month-ish, but since I'm sharing this with my SO it will work out cheaper than the 1300 NYU asks for. (Plus, I'd really prefer not to be living in a dorm again)

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:00 pm

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen anything about Furman invites yet, but I haven't been following the thread too closely. No one has received one yet, right?

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:13 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:Just accepted today and I'm trying to find a good weekend to fly up and do Columbia and NYU together. Anyone know what the major advantages of ASW are as opposed to just visiting for a class or two and doing a regular tour?

Also has anyone been looking into apartments and found somewhat decent places for less than the $1,300ish you can do through the school?

For that price, you're probably going to have to look pretty far-ish from campus. I've found a few one bedrooms in the West Village for 2200/month-ish, but since I'm sharing this with my SO it will work out cheaper than the 1300 NYU asks for. (Plus, I'd really prefer not to be living in a dorm again)

I live on the UES and pay $1,100 a month. I'm not right next to campus but it only takes about 20 minutes to get there from my door. If you have roommates to live with its definitely reasonable to get something for cheaper than NYU housing, and I agree with you about not living in a dorm. The worst part is finding a place, brokers are awful/fees are high. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!

bogm2012

Postby bogm2012 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:48 pm

nametaken wrote:
I live on the UES and pay $1,100 a month. I'm not right next to campus but it only takes about 20 minutes to get there from my door. If you have roommates to live with its definitely reasonable to get something for cheaper than NYU housing, and I agree with you about not living in a dorm. The worst part is finding a place, brokers are awful/fees are high. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!

This. Also, you would probably have to come back and spend a weekend just to look at places, and this would probably have to be done in mid-July in order to have something ready for August.

NYC house hunting is really the worst.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:32 pm

bogm2012 wrote:
nametaken wrote:

This. Also, you would probably have to come back and spend a weekend just to look at places, and this would probably have to be done in mid-July in order to have something ready for August.

Hah this is really going to be a different world for me but I'm really excited about it. I'm currently in a 2000 sq ft house that costs us $1800 split four ways. I can't imagine going back to a dorm either. Do the majority of younger 1Ls live in the dorms or is it pretty common to go off campus (if you can call it a campus)?

My girlfriend has another year left of nursing school too, otherwise this process would be a lot easier.

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
bogm2012 wrote:
nametaken wrote:

Hah this is really going to be a different world for me but I'm really excited about it. I'm currently in a 2000 sq ft house that costs us $1800 split four ways. I can't imagine going back to a dorm either. Do the majority of younger 1Ls live in the dorms or is it pretty common to go off campus (if you can call it a campus)?

My girlfriend has another year left of nursing school too, otherwise this process would be a lot easier.

According to the literature 2/3 of 1Ls stay in housing.

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do. A part of me wants that awesome convenience of living near/across from school. The other part is really really cheap.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:03 pm

For those more knowledgeable than I: when is the best time to start looking/talking to the school about housing? And when are you "late"? I know others are wondering this as well.

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:For those more knowledgeable than I: when is the best time to start looking/talking to the school about housing? And when are you "late"? I know others are wondering this as well.

I believe the deadline for "preferred" housing applications is May 15. After that it's on an as space becomes available basis. I bet so long as you're in by May you'll be set.

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course. I just went through my pizza box again tonight as NYU is looking more and more like it's going to be where I spend my next three years.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:12 pm

thelong wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:For those more knowledgeable than I: when is the best time to start looking/talking to the school about housing? And when are you "late"? I know others are wondering this as well.

I believe the deadline for "preferred" housing applications is May 15. After that it's on an as space becomes available basis. I bet so long as you're in by May you'll be set.

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course. I just went through my pizza box again tonight as NYU is looking more and more like it's going to be where I spend my next three years.

I think you might be right. I looked through the pictures of the dorms on the ASW, and they SCREAM false advertisement lol. Am I generally correct on this?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:25 pm

thelong wrote:

Yes, this is correct. As long as you submit your application before the deadline, you'll get something. Spoke to my friend at NYU about this.

DJ.Topicality

Postby DJ.Topicality » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:33 am

hypothalamus wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
Bronck wrote:Too bad they didn't get a cool justice for it.

Yeah, Scalia would be a ton of fun, I imagine.

NYC got Raymond Lohier...

How do people know who's going to be interviewing at the different sites? Any word on Oakland?

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:53 am

thelong wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Just RSVP'd for March 19-20 ASW. Looking forward to seeing some of you! :)

Pretty sure its March 29-30. Don't want you to buy the wrong plane tickets lol

If that's the case I'll be meeting you there FryBread!

Yes 29-30. Keyboard problem :P.

Haven't been admitted to Columbia but I booked the flight under the assumption that I might be, just in case. Down to grab booze with anyone who ends up in the same awkward position of nothing to do Wednesday night :lol:

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:01 am

FryBreadPower wrote:
thelong wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Just RSVP'd for March 19-20 ASW. Looking forward to seeing some of you! :)

Pretty sure its March 29-30. Don't want you to buy the wrong plane tickets lol

If that's the case I'll be meeting you there FryBread!

Yes 29-30. Keyboard problem :P.

Haven't been admitted to Columbia but I booked the flight under the assumption that I might be, just in case. Down to grab booze with anyone who ends up in the same awkward position of nothing to do Wednesday night :lol:

Ah, this is me, except I'm going this week...

houng89

Postby houng89 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:15 am

whoever's going to ASW 1-2, bad luck for us...

looks like rain the whole time... :(

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 am

NYC_7911 wrote:I'm pretty sure I haven't seen anything about Furman invites yet, but I haven't been following the thread too closely. No one has received one yet, right?

I haven't heard anything, no.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:13 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Yes 29-30. Keyboard problem :P.

FryBread, hit me up if you end up being alone and abandoned in NYC for the weekend. I'd hate to see you sleep in subway stations :D

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Speaking of people coming down this weekend. Anyone down to hang out on Saturday? I'm not going home until Sunday and I've got the evening completely free. Might be premature since I'm assuming we'll all make enough acquaintances on Thursday and Friday, but figured I'd put it out there.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Boston_NYG2245 wrote:Speaking of people coming down this weekend. Anyone down to hang out on Saturday? I'm not going home until Sunday and I've got the evening completely free. Might be premature since I'm assuming we'll all make enough acquaintances on Thursday and Friday, but figured I'd put it out there.

I'd be down if there is alcohol involved. :D

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
Boston_NYG2245 wrote:Speaking of people coming down this weekend. Anyone down to hang out on Saturday? I'm not going home until Sunday and I've got the evening completely free. Might be premature since I'm assuming we'll all make enough acquaintances on Thursday and Friday, but figured I'd put it out there.

I'd be down if there is alcohol involved. :D

Is this even in question? :)

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:46 pm

DJ.Topicality wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
Bronck wrote:Too bad they didn't get a cool justice for it.

Yeah, Scalia would be a ton of fun, I imagine.

NYC got Raymond Lohier...

How do people know who's going to be interviewing at the different sites? Any word on Oakland?

This was included in the email I got, but it said the whole list of panelists will be finalized and then sent out. Maybe they haven't confirmed the interviewers for Oakland yet?

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:

Hahaha. Totally the same situation, flying in on Tuesday and no idea if I'll have anything to do all day Wednesday. Except I've got tickets to the Knicks-Magic game that night ;)

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:50 pm

zworykin wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

Hahaha. Totally the same situation, flying in on Tuesday and no idea if I'll have anything to do all day Wednesday. Except I've got tickets to the Knicks-Magic game that night ;)

+1 to being in the awkward Wednesday night group. Though I'll have family in the city so I'll probably just spend the evening with them.

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:44 pm

blue_c wrote:
zworykin wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

+1 to being in the awkward Wednesday night group. Though I'll have family in the city so I'll probably just spend the evening with them.

I've never been to NYC so I plan to do tourist stuff, maybe a trip to Katz :)

avd90

Postby avd90 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:53 pm

tamereth wrote:
blue_c wrote:
zworykin wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

I've never been to NYC so I plan to do tourist stuff, maybe a trip to Katz :)

My uncle owns Katz's! Small world. Drop my name, get a free matzoh ball soup

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:01 pm

avd90 wrote:My uncle owns Katz's! Small world. Drop my name, get a free matzoh ball soup

:D
He knows you by avd90? :P

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”