In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
1
6%
Section 2
3
19%
Section 3
1
6%
Section 4
3
19%
Section 5
3
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
1
6%
Creeper option
4
25%
 
Total votes: 16

SecondAidenn
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:05 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby SecondAidenn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Hey everyone! Does anyone happen to know anything about the timeline for the IILJ Scholars decisions? Did I miss the boat on that one or have the decisions not gone out yet?

nsbane
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby nsbane » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:47 am

SecondAidenn wrote:Hey everyone! Does anyone happen to know anything about the timeline for the IILJ Scholars decisions? Did I miss the boat on that one or have the decisions not gone out yet?


some people have gotten their decisions already. i'm assuming if you haven't been notified, then you aren't being invited.

User avatar
thatkid
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:36 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby thatkid » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:02 am

SecondAidenn wrote:Hey everyone! Does anyone happen to know anything about the timeline for the IILJ Scholars decisions? Did I miss the boat on that one or have the decisions not gone out yet?


Last year they sent emails out to all applicants when they'd finished with invites, essentially telling you that you were not selected as a finalist. I'm not positive they'll do that again, but it seems reasonable to think invites will continue to roll out for a while (especially if people turn them down).

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby crumpledq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Random question: does anyone know how strict they are about enforcing their rather draconian rules about guests in on-campus housing? My husband is considering spending a week working out of his firm's NYC office every once in a while in order to visit me (he'll be living in DC), but the on-campus visitor policies make it seem like I have to babysit him at all times that he's in the building, and I need written permission from the building administrators any time he is going to stay for more than three nights in a row. Sheesh. I'm 27, not 17.

This is making me rethink living in a dorm-like situation.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 pm

crumpledq wrote:Random question: does anyone know how strict they are about enforcing their rather draconian rules about guests in on-campus housing? My husband is considering spending a week working out of his firm's NYC office every once in a while in order to visit me (he'll be living in DC), but the on-campus visitor policies make it seem like I have to babysit him at all times that he's in the building, and I need written permission from the building administrators any time he is going to stay for more than three nights in a row. Sheesh. I'm 27, not 17.

This is making me rethink living in a dorm-like situation.


The 3 night thing is just to give him a pass to get past security without calling the person living there (you). I lived at Mercer for a year and had people over all the time....they just couldn't get into the building if I wasn't around.

This was 3 years ago tho....but I doubt things have changed much.

poe
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby poe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 pm

After my reserve (read: soft rejection) at Columbia, NYU is looking all the more likely. And hey, Greenwich Village is way cooler than Morningside Heights anyway.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:52 pm

crumpledq wrote:Random question: does anyone know how strict they are about enforcing their rather draconian rules about guests in on-campus housing? My husband is considering spending a week working out of his firm's NYC office every once in a while in order to visit me (he'll be living in DC), but the on-campus visitor policies make it seem like I have to babysit him at all times that he's in the building, and I need written permission from the building administrators any time he is going to stay for more than three nights in a row. Sheesh. I'm 27, not 17.

This is making me rethink living in a dorm-like situation.

It's not really draconian. It's just about safety and whatnot. They can get passes and a key if they put down a $5 deposit. Not a big deal at all.

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby crumpledq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:25 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Random question: does anyone know how strict they are about enforcing their rather draconian rules about guests in on-campus housing? My husband is considering spending a week working out of his firm's NYC office every once in a while in order to visit me (he'll be living in DC), but the on-campus visitor policies make it seem like I have to babysit him at all times that he's in the building, and I need written permission from the building administrators any time he is going to stay for more than three nights in a row. Sheesh. I'm 27, not 17.

This is making me rethink living in a dorm-like situation.

It's not really draconian. It's just about safety and whatnot. They can get passes and a key if they put down a $5 deposit. Not a big deal at all.


The rules as written are draconian if you're used to living in an apartment building, not a dorm. But if they aren't strictly enforced and all you need is a $5 deposit passes and keys, that's better. Hardly ideal, though, since in the "real world" my husband wouldn't have to rely on me to be physically present whenever he wants to go in and out of an apartment building. That's enough of a hassle (given how often he'll be visiting) that I might choose not to live in student housing for this reason. But thank you for the info.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:40 pm

crumpledq wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Random question: does anyone know how strict they are about enforcing their rather draconian rules about guests in on-campus housing? My husband is considering spending a week working out of his firm's NYC office every once in a while in order to visit me (he'll be living in DC), but the on-campus visitor policies make it seem like I have to babysit him at all times that he's in the building, and I need written permission from the building administrators any time he is going to stay for more than three nights in a row. Sheesh. I'm 27, not 17.

This is making me rethink living in a dorm-like situation.

It's not really draconian. It's just about safety and whatnot. They can get passes and a key if they put down a $5 deposit. Not a big deal at all.


The rules as written are draconian if you're used to living in an apartment building, not a dorm. But if they aren't strictly enforced and all you need is a $5 deposit passes and keys, that's better. Hardly ideal, though, since in the "real world" my husband wouldn't have to rely on me to be physically present whenever he wants to go in and out of an apartment building. That's enough of a hassle (given how often he'll be visiting) that I might choose not to live in student housing for this reason. But thank you for the info.


The pass will allow your husband to enter the buildings without you. But I think they are somewhat strict about only giving out passes for 3 days at a time. Also for whats it worth the doormen at D'ag tend to be much more flexible than the doormen at Mercer.

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby smokeylarue » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:42 pm

How does this affect ahem.... if you happen to bring a lady friend over at say 230 AM..... does the doorman stop you?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:44 pm

smokeylarue wrote:How does this affect ahem.... if you happen to bring a lady friend over at say 230 AM..... does the doorman stop you?

Doesn't at all. You can just walk in with them. It's very relaxed. It's just like a normal doorman.

Also, FWIW I've had the opposite experience between the Mercer and D'Ag doormen...

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby crumpledq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Thank so much for the info, guys! Very helpful.

bogm2012
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby bogm2012 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:50 pm

OMG Class with Kenji Yoshino?! How cool!

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:How does this affect ahem.... if you happen to bring a lady friend over at say 230 AM..... does the doorman stop you?

Doesn't at all. You can just walk in with them. It's very relaxed. It's just like a normal doorman.

Also, FWIW I've had the opposite experience between the Mercer and D'Ag doormen...


Really? Interesting. Your experiences are likely more accurate, I've been out for a few years.

User avatar
sailboat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby sailboat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:59 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:How does this affect ahem.... if you happen to bring a lady friend over at say 230 AM..... does the doorman stop you?

Doesn't at all. You can just walk in with them. It's very relaxed. It's just like a normal doorman.

Also, FWIW I've had the opposite experience between the Mercer and D'Ag doormen...


I don't know, I lived in an NYU dorm one summer a few years ago, and the security was really obnoxious IMHO. I seem to remember that visitors had to leave their drivers' licenses or something along those lines. And since I had to swipe my ID card and go through a turnstile to get in, I'm sure there was a similar level of scrutiny for visitors. Whatever it was, it was WAY stricter than at my undergrad (which, granted, was not in NYC). Not to mention the process for moving in/out, ugh...

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 pm

sailboat wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:How does this affect ahem.... if you happen to bring a lady friend over at say 230 AM..... does the doorman stop you?

Doesn't at all. You can just walk in with them. It's very relaxed. It's just like a normal doorman.

Also, FWIW I've had the opposite experience between the Mercer and D'Ag doormen...


I don't know, I lived in an NYU dorm one summer a few years ago, and the security was really obnoxious IMHO. I seem to remember that visitors had to leave their drivers' licenses or something along those lines. And since I had to swipe my ID card and go through a turnstile to get in, I'm sure there was a similar level of scrutiny for visitors. Whatever it was, it was WAY stricter than at my undergrad (which, granted, was not in NYC). Not to mention the process for moving in/out, ugh...


NYU has separate rules for law school dorms v. undergrad dorms. Neither Mercer nor D'ag have turnstiles.

User avatar
sailboat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby sailboat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
sailboat wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:How does this affect ahem.... if you happen to bring a lady friend over at say 230 AM..... does the doorman stop you?

Doesn't at all. You can just walk in with them. It's very relaxed. It's just like a normal doorman.

Also, FWIW I've had the opposite experience between the Mercer and D'Ag doormen...


I don't know, I lived in an NYU dorm one summer a few years ago, and the security was really obnoxious IMHO. I seem to remember that visitors had to leave their drivers' licenses or something along those lines. And since I had to swipe my ID card and go through a turnstile to get in, I'm sure there was a similar level of scrutiny for visitors. Whatever it was, it was WAY stricter than at my undergrad (which, granted, was not in NYC). Not to mention the process for moving in/out, ugh...


NYU has separate rules for law school dorms v. undergrad dorms. Neither Mercer nor D'ag have turnstiles.


Ah, OK, my bad.

xlawschoolhopefulx
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:16 pm

So, no movement for RTK today? Gosh I'm getting impatient.

astaris
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:25 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby astaris » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:So, no movement for RTK today? Gosh I'm getting impatient.

Me too! I'm checking my mail constantly, but to no avail. (Although part of this might be because I foolishly checked the mail before the mail even came today...)

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Just RSVP'd for March 19-20 ASW. Looking forward to seeing some of you! :)

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby smokeylarue » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Just RSVP'd for March 19-20 ASW. Looking forward to seeing some of you! :)


Pretty sure its March 29-30. Don't want you to buy the wrong plane tickets lol

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby thelong » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 pm

smokeylarue wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Just RSVP'd for March 19-20 ASW. Looking forward to seeing some of you! :)


Pretty sure its March 29-30. Don't want you to buy the wrong plane tickets lol


If that's the case I'll be meeting you there FryBread!

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:52 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Just RSVP'd for March 19-20 ASW. Looking forward to seeing some of you! :)


There's a March 19-20 ASW? Why isn't it in the polls...

User avatar
StrictlyBusiness
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:26 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Just accepted today and I'm trying to find a good weekend to fly up and do Columbia and NYU together. Anyone know what the major advantages of ASW are as opposed to just visiting for a class or two and doing a regular tour?

Also has anyone been looking into apartments and found somewhat decent places for less than the $1,300ish you can do through the school?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Just accepted today and I'm trying to find a good weekend to fly up and do Columbia and NYU together. Anyone know what the major advantages of ASW are as opposed to just visiting for a class or two and doing a regular tour?


Potential for reimbursement of travel costs. Plus you get free food.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: genjustice, NotAGolfer, potterotter, Tazewell, WamBamThankYouMaam and 17 guests