In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

Unagi

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby Unagi » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:20 am

For everybody that applied to the RTK, I gathered this information from last year’s thread and I thought it would be helpful to have it here:

RTK scholarship

Last year – 250 admitted applicants, 63 finalists, and 20 scholarships
First day someone posted an invitation for RTK interview – 03/02
Last day someone posted an invitation for RTK interview – 03/21
People were dinged by email – 03/23
Ding email: “We have contacted the applicants who have been selected as finalists for the AnBryce Scholarship, Bickel & Brewer Scholarship, Furman Academic Scholarship Program, Institute for International Law and Justice Scholarship, Leadership Program in Law and Business, and the Root-Tilden-Kern Scholarship. Unfortunately, you were not selected as a finalist”.
Date of interview: 04/02
First acceptance call: 04/02

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:36 am

Unagi wrote:For everybody that applied to the RTK, I gathered this information from last year’s thread and I thought it would be helpful to have it here:

RTK scholarship

Ding email: “We have contacted the applicants who have been selected as finalists for the AnBryce Scholarship, Bickel & Brewer Scholarship, Furman Academic Scholarship Program, Institute for International Law and Justice Scholarship, Leadership Program in Law and Business, and the Root-Tilden-Kern Scholarship. Unfortunately, you were not selected as a finalist”.

Priceless. Thank you! Also, that's 20 scholarships for each one, not 20 spread out between all of them, right?

E

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Unagi wrote:For everybody that applied to the RTK, I gathered this information from last year’s thread and I thought it would be helpful to have it here:

RTK scholarship

Very cool. How bout AnBryce stats?

coward

Postby coward » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Anyone else seeing the Admitted Students site as down?

crooked

Postby crooked » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Is anyone else going to the admitted students reception at Dag tonight?

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:15 pm

I need to get off my ass to file my FAFSA/Financial aid paperwork and starting figuring out the housing situation. Anyone else behind on this?

(I don't even know if I am going! I feel like I'm late but it also feels weird trying to figure this stuff out without even knowing whether I'm going).

wildcat25

Postby wildcat25 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:47 am

To be considered for any non-named merit aid (so I guess Dean's scholarships?) do you have to fill out both Needaccess and FAFSA or just Needaccess?? (Crossing my fingers that its just Needaccess because that's all I've done)

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:47 am

wildcat25 wrote:To be considered for any non-named merit aid (so I guess Dean's scholarships?) do you have to fill out both Needaccess and FAFSA or just Needaccess?? (Crossing my fingers that its just Needaccess because that's all I've done)

My guess would be both. If you already filled out Need Access, then FAFSA is simpler, so it shouldn't be a problem.

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:30 am

Some tax tools will export a FAFSA form for you, so you can kill two birds with one stone. That said, Need Access was a bitch to finish. How am I supposed to know what unusual expenses I'll have this year?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:19 am

FryBreadPower wrote:I need to get off my ass to file my FAFSA/Financial aid paperwork and starting figuring out the housing situation. Anyone else behind on this?

(I don't even know if I am going! I feel like I'm late but it also feels weird trying to figure this stuff out without even knowing whether I'm going).

I am 100% with you. I don't know what I am going to do but the allure of a top six and New York is slowly converting me. I am going to try and get this stuff done before the weekend is over though.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 am

Do we need to fill out any forms to only be considered for merit aid?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Do we need to fill out any forms to only be considered for merit aid?

You have to fill out FAFSA + Need Access (both your info and your parent's info) to qualify for merit aid.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Bronck wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Do we need to fill out any forms to only be considered for merit aid?

You have to fill out FAFSA + Need Access (both your info and your parent's info) to qualify for merit aid.

Seriously? Most other schools that's only for need aid. Goddamnit, NYU.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Actually now that I think about it I could be misremembering what the email said. Did you get their email about financial aid stuff a month or so ago? If not I can check for you.

I feel like it may have said something like FAFSA + need access (only your info not your parents) if you only want to be considered for merit aid.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Bronck wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Actually now that I think about it I could be misremembering what the email said. Did you get their email about financial aid stuff a month or so ago? I'd not I can check for you.

I feel like it may have said something like FAFSA + need access (only your info not your parents) if you only want to be considered for merit aid.

No, I only got emails about admitted student days and housing. That's very weird. Was one sent out?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Yeah they sent it Jan 6. Here's what it says:

- if you want to be considered for only merit aid you must fill out need access (you need not fill out parental information for this)
- if you want federal loans and want to be considered for need + merit aid fill out FAFSA as well as need access (both your info and your parent's info)

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Last edited by Doorkeeper on Tue May 08, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Bronck wrote:Yeah they sent it Jan 6. Here's what it says:

- if you want to be considered for only merit aid you must fill out need access (you need not fill out parental information for this)
- if you want federal loans and want to be considered for need + merit aid fill out FAFSA as well as need access (both your info and your parent's info)

Huh...I wonder why I didn't get that email. I got accepted in mid-December so it shouldn't have been a timing issue.

Anyways, thank you for the summary.

Apparently need access only lets you submit the form if you have your information and your parent's information. So, if you ONLY want to be considered for merit aid, then you have to email the financial aid office and tell them to disregard your parents' info.

Also, if you only want to be considered for merit/need aid, but you don't want to take out loans, then you only have to fill out Need Access (with yours and your parent's info.), not FAFSA.

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Can you request specific roommates for mercer/d'ag, or is it completely randomized? I've been poking around the housing site and haven't been able to figure it out.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:31 pm

PigBodine wrote:Can you request specific roommates for mercer/d'ag, or is it completely randomized? I've been poking around the housing site and haven't been able to figure it out.

Yes you can. The other person, of course, has to request you as well. I'm not sure how likely pairings are though.

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Bronck wrote:
PigBodine wrote:Can you request specific roommates for mercer/d'ag, or is it completely randomized? I've been poking around the housing site and haven't been able to figure it out.

Yes you can. The other person, of course, has to request you as well. I'm not sure how likely pairings are though.

Thanks, yeah, I guess that was going to be my followup question. I haven't heard anybody complain about it, though, so hopefully it's not too terrible of a system.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 pm

PigBodine wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Thanks, yeah, I guess that was going to be my followup question. I haven't heard anybody complain about it, though, so hopefully it's not too terrible of a system.

Yeah. Might be a good idea to go into the "Ask a Law Student" forum and ask some current students.

avd90

Postby avd90 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Just dropping in to comment on how incredibly jealous I am of everyone in this thread... and hopefully I'll be joining you eventually (KNOCK ON WOOD)

norcal_youngin

Postby norcal_youngin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:32 am

Does NYU set up admits with student hosts for admitted student weekends?

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:36 pm

I believe that if you only want to be considered for merit aid you can ask to fill out NYU's Institutional Application for Financial Aid, which does not include parental info. I think it's Form C in their website (don't hold me to this). Anyway I did that because I figured I might as well not waste time/money on the Need Access form. (That said NYU if you're out there I would still love some $$$!). I'd call their financial aid people if you'd prefer to do this option.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”