In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

lndixon

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Postby lndixon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:12 pm

thelong wrote:Did anyone else get an e-mail from NUYLaw-admits@nyu.edu today? I wonder how they managed to misspell their e-mail address.

I got that email too! Didn't notice the misspelling until now though. Weird!

forthewin

Postby forthewin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:39 pm

[quote="gloriouscause"][quote="Yeshia90"][quote="forthewin"][quote="brogoc"]Anyone going to the admitted student event in LA with Dean R? I typed the location address into google maps and it appears to be a fancy house in Bel Air. That's intimidating. Maybe it's the home of a successful NYU alum.[/quote]

I'm going! So what is the consensus on what to wear? I'm guessing it would be something close to business attire?[/quote]

Nah. You're going to be in the village, so skinny jeans, a v-neck, and keffiyah should be sufficient.[/quote]

I'm going business casual (button down shirt no tie). Although skinny jeans are tempting...[/quote]

Ugh I got sick today, so I'm not going to the event. Super pissed about this because I was really looking forward to meeting other admitted students :( let me know how it was after!

brogoc

Postby brogoc » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:03 am

They gave us the hard sell and I have to say I found it pretty convincing. NYU is my top choice now, though my decision would be even easier if they would send some scholly money my way.

('Fancy house' turned out to be an understatement - our host is a regular on the Forbes 400. Wow.)

gloriouscause

Postby gloriouscause » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:05 am

The house was incredible. The guesthouse was as big as a normal house

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:09 am

brogoc wrote:They gave us the hard sell and I have to say I found it pretty convincing. NYU is my top choice now, though my decision would be even easier if they would send some scholly money my way.

('Fancy house' turned out to be an understatement - our host is a regular on the Forbes 400. Wow.)

Any details? What was so convincing about it for instance. Just curious!

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:03 pm

snehpets wrote:
brogoc wrote:They gave us the hard sell and I have to say I found it pretty convincing. NYU is my top choice now, though my decision would be even easier if they would send some scholly money my way.

Any details? What was so convincing about it for instance. Just curious!

Same here. Please share!

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:17 pm

I think this might have been addressed before, but does depositing at NYU hold you to the same standard as an ED contract with regard to you needing to withdraw from other schools, or else there's going to be some trouble, buddy? A lot of schools don't even consider waitlists until mid to late May, which is after the NYU deposit deadline.

Wonk

Postby Wonk » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 pm

PigBodine wrote:I think this might have been addressed before, but does depositing at NYU hold you to the same standard as an ED contract with regard to you needing to withdraw from other schools, or else there's going to be some trouble, buddy? A lot of schools don't even consider waitlists until mid to late May, which is after the NYU deposit deadline.

I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe you are required to withdraw from schools you have been accepted at but are allowed to remain on waitlists.

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Wonk wrote:I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe you are required to withdraw from schools you have been accepted at but are allowed to remain on waitlists.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. NYU's probably my first choice anyways, but I noticed that a lot of people who got off of waitlists at the 11th hour from top 10 schools last cycle got a decent amount of money, for whatever reason.

brogoc

Postby brogoc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:39 am

snehpets wrote:Any details? What was so convincing about it for instance. Just curious!

Dean R discussed the school's investment in student services, the variety of opportunities for clinical and PI work, and recent lateral faculty hires from CLS and HLS. Local alums in attendance were friendly and were happy to discuss their experiences. The admitted students were smart and interesting. I left with the impression that NYU would be an exciting place to spend the next few years.

poe

Postby poe » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:44 am

brogoc wrote:
snehpets wrote:Any details? What was so convincing about it for instance. Just curious!

Dean R discussed the school's investment in student services, the variety of opportunities for clinical and PI work, and recent lateral faculty hires from CLS and HLS. Local alums in attendance were friendly and were happy to discuss their experiences. The admitted students were smart and interesting. I left with the impression that NYU would be an exciting place to spend the next few years.

*jealous*

I missed my regional event (SF). Did anyone go to that one? Was it equally impressive?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Just RSVP'd for Late March. That was a lot of boxes to check.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:Just RSVP'd for Late March. That was a lot of boxes to check.

Same here. Definitely want to make it back from MH for the pizza thing on Thurs.

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:17 pm

I'll be going to the March 1st-2nd ASW, and really look forward to meeting everyone! A couple of questions though: Where are people staying? Also, when are people flying in? Wednesday? Thursday morning?

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:21 pm

I really want to go to ASW. How much did you guys end up spending on flights/hotel?

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Bronck wrote:

Same here. Definitely want to make it back from MH for the pizza thing on Thurs.

+1. If I have a reason to be in MH at all, of course.

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:46 pm

seanPtheB wrote:I'll be going to the March 1st-2nd ASW, and really look forward to meeting everyone! A couple of questions though: Where are people staying? Also, when are people flying in? Wednesday? Thursday morning?

I'm flying in Thursday morning and I'm lucky enough to have a cousin who lives pretty close by.

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:14 pm

seanPtheB wrote:I'll be going to the March 1st-2nd ASW, and really look forward to meeting everyone! A couple of questions though: Where are people staying? Also, when are people flying in? Wednesday? Thursday morning?

Flying in Wednesday. Figure either I get to be in MH (fingers crossed!) or I get a day to explore NYC. Got a good hotel deal via Expedia for a hotel near Penn Station. Looks like that location would be convenient to both NYU and Columbia.

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Ok cool so there isn't a hotel that NYU recommends, right?

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Same question here. I'm going for the early March CLS/NYU ASWs as well. I'm having a bit of trouble finding reasonably priced accommodations in the area (first taste of life in NYC...), so I'd be very grateful for any recommendations.

thelong

Postby thelong » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:02 pm

I know it's not for everyone, but have you folks considered hostelling it? I'm all manner of broke, so if I go it'll probably be that route.

I'll also probably take a bus in.

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:18 pm

NYU has a list of hotels, some of which offer discounts. http://www.nyu.edu/about/visitor-inform ... otels.html

I went on all the hotel search websites-- hotline, kayak, expedia, orbitz, hotels.com-- and found a hotel that way. Expedia does "X hours only!!" type deals, which I recommend trying to get. The available deals change a lot so you just have to keep an eye out. That puts hotel rates at about 90-100 per night, instead of 150+

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:23 pm

tamereth wrote:NYU has a list of hotels, some of which offer discounts. http://www.nyu.edu/about/visitor-inform ... otels.html

I went on all the hotel search websites-- hotline, kayak, expedia, orbitz, hotels.com-- and found a hotel that way. Expedia does "X hours only!!" type deals, which I recommend trying to get. The available deals change a lot so you just have to keep an eye out. That puts hotel rates at about 90-100 per night, instead of 150+

Thanks a lot, very useful info!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:45 pm

AmandaPB wrote:I really want to go to ASW. How much did you guys end up spending on flights/hotel?

CLS granted me a subsidy, so I'll be spending very little on airfare. And, I'll be staying with current students.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Bronck wrote:

See you guys there.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”