In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

curiousgeorgia

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:00 pm

tamereth wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:Also something to keep in mind when debating costs is that NYU dorm pricing includes utilities, cable, internet, security guards, etc. while other housing options would need to factor these costs in on top of the rent rate.

Plus transportation, while relatively inexpensive, can add up pretty quickly. Not that this is an exorbitant cost, but it still should be taken into consideration.

What are utility costs like up there?

I don't have any personal experience but http://www.rent.com/rentals/new-york/ne ... /new-york/ suggests that average utilities cost is $189, plus if you factor cable/internet it would be even higher. For argument's sake, let's say it's $200 per month, which is roughly $800 per semester.

If anyone has a more informed answer, though, please enlighten us.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:02 pm

tamereth wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:Also something to keep in mind when debating costs is that NYU dorm pricing includes utilities, cable, internet, security guards, etc. while other housing options would need to factor these costs in on top of the rent rate.

Plus transportation, while relatively inexpensive, can add up pretty quickly. Not that this is an exorbitant cost, but it still should be taken into consideration.

Heat and water are free (hold over from the times when landlords would charge exorbitant rates for each and poor people would freeze to death in their apartments each winter), though of course they're factored into the rent.

Electricity for an apartment of 4 people was like, $60/month... probably $80-$100 during the winter (almost nowhere in NYC has central air). A pretty generous cable/internet package was $160/month.

kaiser wrote:

Unlimited monthly pass for path is 65 a month. So an entire academic year's worth of train costs barely even covers the difference between a single month of rent between Jersey City apartment and NYU form.

Also, this will not include the $104 unlimited monthly subway and bus pass that is (IMO) essential.

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:04 pm

tamereth wrote:

I'm a couple blocks from NYU, and I pay between $120 - $160 a month for utilities. I used the A/C fairly often in the summer (I have pets so wouldn't be fair to them otherwise). But yes, hot water is included in the rent.

Internet is about $30/month for Time Warner. Though supposedly they are installing FiOS in the area soon. I don't have cable so I'm not sure how much that costs.

$200 a month overall sounds like a reasonable estimate.

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:07 pm

thestillpoint wrote:
tamereth wrote:

I'm a couple blocks from NYU, and I pay between $120 - $160 a month for utilities. I used the A/C fairly often in the summer (I have pets so wouldn't be fair to them otherwise). But yes, hot water is included in the rent.

Internet is about $30/month for Time Warner. Though supposedly they are installing FiOS in the area soon. I don't have cable so I'm not sure how much that costs.

$200 a month overall sounds like a reasonable estimate.

Time Warner is the WORST

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Love the creeper option on this poll.

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:20 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:Love the creeper option on this poll.

Haha, are you cruelly laughing at our concerns over COL because you'll be enjoying the drastically more affordable rates in Philly next year?

poe

Postby poe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm in, and very excited, but I'm nowhere near making a decision. Right now, I'm torn between NYU and Berkeley... and that's not to mention the other schools I'm still waiting on, or the all-important question of financial aid. Besides, I still need to visit the school - I've never even been to NYC!

46nyc

Re: In at NYU...now with poll!

Postby 46nyc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:27 pm

snehpets wrote:
addy11 wrote:I was trying to say, though, that in NYC it's completely normal for people to live more ascetic lives. My parents have seen my apartments and know my rent and are like "WTF?" When people look for apartments in other cities they may actually be able to find a place in a cool, safe neighborhood, at a reasonable price, near transportation, with lots of natural light, no roaches/rats, lots of space, a nice kitchen, a doorman, no 3+ floor walk ups, washers and dryers in their apartment. In NYC you either have a trust fund or you just have to weigh some of those things against the others. You have to decide how you personally feel about desirability of location, decent price and amenities, because you will not get all three, and whatever you sacrifice you'll still be paying more than you would in any other city in the country.

I'm just saying that it's far more normal to be successful/intelligent/driven and live in sub-optimal situations in New York than in other cities. My friends who stayed in Atlanta would absolutely recoil at my apartment here, as well as the price I pay to live in it, but it's not really that different from the apartments of either the students or the businesspeople whom I'm friends with here.

Cannot deal with roaches/rats. Know they're an inevitable by-product of city life, but will seriously do whatever it takes to find the least roach/rat friendly apt in manhattan.

+1 billion

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Anyone still waiting on a 'you're in' call?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:43 pm

I ED'd, so I'm already in, but I have tons of family and friends in New York, and none have had to deal with rats or roaches. Yeah, it's a city, but that doesn't mean it's totally disgusting and gross and unsanitary. And maybe it's because I grew up around the city, but the "cheap" apartments aren't that bad...especially compared to what I've got at my UG school for a third the cost.

And as someone who's biglaw inclined, even if there's a $200 a month difference that you could save living in Brooklyn or Jersey (yuck) instead of in the law dorms, that's, what, $6000? Once you're $200,000 in the hole, that's just the cherry on the top. Might as well be in an awesome area that's super convenient.

Bite the bullet, fellas.
Last edited by Yeshia90 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:44 pm

snehpets wrote:Anyone still waiting on a 'you're in' call?

ME! Are you, too? It's been 2 days. I wonder if they only call certain people or if I've been forgotten.

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:I ED'd, so I'm already in, but I have tons of family and friends in New York, and none have had to deal with rats or roaches. Yeah, it's a city, but that doesn't mean it's totally disgusting and gross and unsanitary. And maybe it's because I grew up around the city, but the "cheap" apartments aren't that bad, even compared to what I've got at my UG school for a third the cost.

And as someone who's biglaw inclined, even if there's a $200 a month difference that you could save living in Brooklyn or Jersey (yuck) instead of in the law dorms, that's, what, $6000? Once you're $200,000 in the hole, that's just the cherry on the top. Might as well be in an awesome area that's super convenient.

Bite the bullet, fellas.

I somewhat agree, depending on your circumstances. Living in NYC, being close to the law school (and the library), being able to hang out more easily with your classmates-- in the long run that might be worth the extra money for convenience and the experience. After a long day of classes, ECs, studying (or long night of drinking...), the commute may seem more daunting. And transportation is definitely spotty around the city during the off-hours and weekends due to less frequent trains and maintenance.

Also, I live in a first floor (not ground floor) apartment and have yet to see any roaches (or any other creepy bugs) and no mice whatsoever. I've also never heard any of my friends in the city complain about pests in their apartments. I don't think it's much of a problem honestly.
Last edited by thestillpoint on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:48 pm

I forgot to include my phone number on my app, so I suppose its understandable haha

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:I ED'd, so I'm already in, but I have tons of family and friends in New York, and none have had to deal with rats or roaches. Yeah, it's a city, but that doesn't mean it's totally disgusting and gross and unsanitary. And maybe it's because I grew up around the city, but the "cheap" apartments aren't that bad, even compared to what I've got at my UG school for a third the cost.

Bite the bullet, fellas.

And for those of us who are not biglaw-inclined but instead plan to use LRAP and loan forgiveness, much of one's debt will be forgiven eventually, anyway. So in real terms we're not talking about any significant amount of additional debt in exchange for living across the street from classes, the library, and many of your friends--nevermind many of the other benefits that come from being in the Village. If I attend NYU, I plan to live in student housing for as long as I can.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:50 pm

AmandaPB wrote:

ME! Are you, too? It's been 2 days. I wonder if they only call certain people or if I've been forgotten.

Yep, although it might be for the best. I can see that going something like this:

*sees nyu area code*

Me: hello?! Nyu?!
Them: uhm, yeah. You're a weirdo, but you're in I guess.
Me: I know! I tried to log into the ASW every 45 seconds after DSL till I got in
Them: you know what, maybe you'd be better off at Cooley. Thanks for applying, but no thanks.

poe

Postby poe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:I ED'd, so I'm already in, but I have tons of family and friends in New York, and none have had to deal with rats or roaches. Yeah, it's a city, but that doesn't mean it's totally disgusting and gross and unsanitary. And maybe it's because I grew up around the city, but the "cheap" apartments aren't that bad...especially compared to what I've got at my UG school for a third the cost.

Bite the bullet, fellas.

I know I'll definitely be going with the campus housing if I attend. No way am I even going to try NYC apartment-hunting while living on the west coast.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:I ED'd, so I'm already in, but I have tons of family and friends in New York, and none have had to deal with rats or roaches. Yeah, it's a city, but that doesn't mean it's totally disgusting and gross and unsanitary. And maybe it's because I grew up around the city, but the "cheap" apartments aren't that bad...especially compared to what I've got at my UG school for a third the cost.

Bite the bullet, fellas.

Agreed.

I'm still holding out for CLS/YHS, but my most likely destination is NYU right now!

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Not that it helps but I got my call the day after I was able to log into the ASW. She said the letter was on its way. I think once you're in (via ASW that is), you're in and the call is just a formality.

Of course the problem with the call is feigning surprise considering you already know you've been accepted.

crooked

Postby crooked » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:57 pm

snehpets wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:

Yep, although it might be for the best. I can see that going something like this:

*sees nyu area code*

Me: hello?! Nyu?!
Them: uhm, yeah. You're a weirdo, but you're in I guess.
Me: I know! I tried to log into the ASW every 45 seconds after DSL till I got in
Them: you know what, maybe you'd be better off at Cooley. Thanks for applying, but no thanks.

This made me laugh. By myself in my office. Always good.
Mostly because "I tried to log into the ASW every 45 seconds after DSL till I got in" perfectly describes my Monday afternoon.

hdsoc

Postby hdsoc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:58 pm

I think in a lot of cases, when comparing Greenwich Village to NJ or Brooklyn you're talking about much more than a $200 difference. But places like the East Village or Murray Hill offer options that are anywhere from $150 to $300 cheaper and without the transportation hassles. Wherever you're looking, just make sure you look at a subway map first, because that will end up being the most important thing. Apartments on the LES might be closer, in terms of actual distance, but might end up being more of a hassle than say, the Upper West Side because of the express subway.

I live a block or two from NYU now, but I'll probably move into a different neighborhood and pay considerably less than the ~$1700/month I pay now, but still be one subway stop/walking distance on a nice day.

Anyway, I've lived in NYC most of my life, so if anybody wants tips on neighborhoods, brokers, etc feel free to PM me.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:07 pm

hdsoc wrote:I think in a lot of cases, when comparing Greenwich Village to NJ or Brooklyn you're talking about much more than a $200 difference. But places like the East Village or Murray Hill offer options that are anywhere from $150 to $300 cheaper and without the transportation hassles. Wherever you're looking, just make sure you look at a subway map first, because that will end up being the most important thing. Apartments on the LES might be closer, in terms of actual distance, but might end up being more of a hassle than say, the Upper West Side because of the express subway.

I live a block or two from NYU now, but I'll probably move into a different neighborhood and pay considerably less than the ~$1700/month I pay now, but still be one subway stop/walking distance on a nice day.

Anyway, I've lived in NYC most of my life, so if anybody wants tips on neighborhoods, brokers, etc feel free to PM me.

If you hadn't said it twice, I would have doubted that you've lived there all your life. You can walk most places in the LES to NYU faster than getting there from the UWS, even on the 2/3 (you'd have to switch to the 1, anyway), and the F and M (both of which stop super close to NYU) are well represented on the LES.

Also, Murray Hill or the Financial District are "cheap," safe areas for non-upper Manhattan, but the EV is probably just as expensive as the Village. Alphabet City is cheaper but, as you said, it's not near the subways and would be a hassle.

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:12 pm

poe wrote:I know I'll definitely be going with the campus housing if I attend. No way am I even going to try NYC apartment-hunting while living on the west coast.

Me too, if I can get in. I don’t have the money to fly back and forth to go apartment-hunting, and I have no idea what areas/places are legitimate. I’d rather live in campus housing for at least the first year until I know the area better. And it’s just so convenient to live right there and be around other law students.

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:17 pm

AmandaPB wrote:
poe wrote:I know I'll definitely be going with the campus housing if I attend. No way am I even going to try NYC apartment-hunting while living on the west coast.

Me too, if I can get in. I don’t have the money to fly back and forth to go apartment-hunting, and I have no idea what areas/places are legitimate. I’d rather live in campus housing for at least the first year until I know the area better. And it’s just so convenient to live right there and be around other law students.

Agreed. I have a lot of friends who will be living in the city next year for their jobs, but the thought of living with people who are going to be working ~50 hour weeks, then using their 60k+ incomes to party every weekend while I'm holed away in the law library and living off of ramen noodles just sounds miserable. I'd rather be commiserating with my fellow legal slaves in Mercer or the like.

hdsoc

Postby hdsoc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:19 pm

addy11 wrote:
hdsoc wrote:I think in a lot of cases, when comparing Greenwich Village to NJ or Brooklyn you're talking about much more than a $200 difference. But places like the East Village or Murray Hill offer options that are anywhere from $150 to $300 cheaper and without the transportation hassles. Wherever you're looking, just make sure you look at a subway map first, because that will end up being the most important thing. Apartments on the LES might be closer, in terms of actual distance, but might end up being more of a hassle than say, the Upper West Side because of the express subway.

If you hadn't said it twice, I would have doubted that you've lived there all your life. You can walk most places in the LES to NYU faster than getting there from the UWS, even on the 2/3 (you'd have to switch to the 1, anyway), and the F and M (both of which stop super close to NYU) are well represented on the LES.

Also, Murray Hill or the Financial District are "cheap," safe areas for non-upper Manhattan, but the EV is probably just as expensive as the Village. Alphabet City is cheaper but, as you said, it's not near the subways and would be a hassle.

We'll have to agree to dis-agree. I hate the F train; the idea of relying on it sounds terrible, while the 1/2/3 is reliable and efficient. If you're near soho/nolita, LES is definitely walkable, but large parts of it are a huge hike, especially with heavy books. I commuted from UWS downtown for years on an express stop and it was easy.

And large swathes of EV are still affordable, if you go outside of the area around Astor Place.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm

I have a pet so I'll have to go off-campus, but hope all you on-campus people will still let me hang out/hate on law school with you!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”