In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
1
6%
Section 2
3
19%
Section 3
1
6%
Section 4
3
19%
Section 5
3
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
1
6%
Creeper option
4
25%
 
Total votes: 16

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby nametaken » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Genki wrote:Hey everyone.
I got my acceptance on Friday so I thought I'd check in to the In at NYU thread. NYU is definitely up there as one of my top choices, but I'm waiting to hear back from a few more schools before I make up my mind.


Thanks for the youtube videos of NYU housing! For those of you that are planning on living off campus (especially those who are familiar with New York), what neighborhoods would you suggest looking at for apartments? Would living in Brooklyn or another neighborhood outside of Manhattan be too long of a commute to be worth the rent saving?


Park slopes and prospect heights are good neighborhoods to look into in Brooklyn. Some people really rave about astoria in queens, but the subway lines aren't as reliable as the ones in Brooklyn. You can also look into northern jersey options like jersey city and commute via path. Any of those would likely give you a commute time around half an hour. I think it's triptopnyc that lets you type in an address and find out how long it takes to commute to the rest of the city via subway.


hopstop.com is the best. I had a ton of friends live in Brooklyn during NYU undergrad and they loved it. Also knew a bunch who lived in the village, but apartments there are super tiny if you wanna stay around $1,000 - $1,200 per person (assuming you have roommates). If you get a little further away while staying in Manhattan, you can find neighborhoods where apartments get a little bit cheaper and a little bit bigger/nicer

User avatar
zworykin
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 4:18 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby zworykin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Because I'm a nerd, and I think plenty of the rest of you are too, I thought I'd share this.

Image

--ImageRemoved--

Look how much bigger the pizza box is this year (the one on the bottom, clearly) compared to last!

:lol:

User avatar
Boston_NYG2245
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Genki wrote:Hey everyone.
I got my acceptance on Friday so I thought I'd check in to the In at NYU thread. NYU is definitely up there as one of my top choices, but I'm waiting to hear back from a few more schools before I make up my mind.


Thanks for the youtube videos of NYU housing! For those of you that are planning on living off campus (especially those who are familiar with New York), what neighborhoods would you suggest looking at for apartments? Would living in Brooklyn or another neighborhood outside of Manhattan be too long of a commute to be worth the rent saving?


Park slopes and prospect heights are good neighborhoods to look into in Brooklyn. Some people really rave about astoria in queens, but the subway lines aren't as reliable as the ones in Brooklyn. You can also look into northern jersey options like jersey city and commute via path. Any of those would likely give you a commute time around half an hour. I think it's triptopnyc that lets you type in an address and find out how long it takes to commute to the rest of the city via subway.


This is true, that said, Park Slope isn't necessarily cheaper than Manhattan.

LaRon James
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:58 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby LaRon James » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Just discovered the deans cup...decision made

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby JustE » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:03 pm

zworykin wrote:Because I'm a nerd, and I think plenty of the rest of you are too, I thought I'd share this.

Image

--ImageRemoved--

Look how much bigger the pizza box is this year (the one on the bottom, clearly) compared to last!

:lol:



Wait, is that what the decision comes in? And what's the dean's cup???

So much to learn... :lol:

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 pm

JustE wrote:
Wait, is that what the decision comes in? And what's the dean's cup???

So much to learn... :lol:


Nah, decision comes in a purple envelope, and then that 'pizza box' package comes a little later.

Dean's Cup is the yearly basketball tournament between CLS and NYU :)

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Got mine today.

Welcome packages bore me.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby JustE » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Hmmmm.... tough, this will be...

wishyfishy
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby wishyfishy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Got my call yesterday. I've heard the welcome package is painfully slow to arrive so I guess I'll be in for a wait. :/

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby freestallion » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Man...NYU is really playing with my heart. It was my favorite school going in and even though I got into HLS, I keep getting drawn to NYU after the amazing pizza box package and today, an invitation to the Hauser Global Law Dinner - which looks awesome. It's soooo hard to turn down. They do a really good job of marketing themselves! <3 NYU!

User avatar
mickeyD
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby mickeyD » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Anyone know when merit scholly info comes out? So busy the next few weeks and I don't know if I can get around to that Need Access form just yet.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:20 pm

mickeyD wrote:Anyone know when merit scholly info comes out? So busy the next few weeks and I don't know if I can get around to that Need Access form just yet.

Don't worry about it. Money comes out end of cycle in March/April.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby dakure » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Can you register for both a local event and the asw?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby JustE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:28 pm

Got the call Monday... When's my purple package gonna arrive???...

User avatar
crooked
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby crooked » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 pm

dakure wrote:Can you register for both a local event and the asw?


From the admitted students website:

Students who are admitted to NYU School of Law are invited to participate in any of the following law school events that are sponsored by the Alumni Office. Please register by visiting the link associated with the event you would like to attend.


That said, has anyone been able to register for the admitted student days yet? I still don't see an RSVP link.

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby nametaken » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 pm

JustE wrote:Got the call Monday... When's my purple package gonna arrive???...


I got the call last Thursday and I got my envelope Saturday I think.. but I'm in NYC. No pizza box yet :(

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby JustE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:35 pm

nametaken wrote:
JustE wrote:Got the call Monday... When's my purple package gonna arrive???...


I got the call last Thursday and I got my envelope Saturday I think.. but I'm in NYC. No pizza box yet :(


Hmmm... So today...

chapmaco
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby chapmaco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Did other admits get cool little personalized notes? Just curious

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby nametaken » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:42 pm

chapmaco wrote:Did other admits get cool little personalized notes? Just curious


Yes I think everyone got a personalized post-it :D

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby JustE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:48 pm

JustE wrote:
nametaken wrote:
JustE wrote:Got the call Monday... When's my purple package gonna arrive???...


I got the call last Thursday and I got my envelope Saturday I think.. but I'm in NYC. No pizza box yet :(


Hmmm... So today...


SHIT... Not today...

User avatar
crooked
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby crooked » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:08 pm

JustE wrote:
JustE wrote:
nametaken wrote:
JustE wrote:Got the call Monday... When's my purple package gonna arrive???...


I got the call last Thursday and I got my envelope Saturday I think.. but I'm in NYC. No pizza box yet :(


Hmmm... So today...


SHIT... Not today...


To be honest, the letter is nice but doesn't have a ton of information. It also seems to vary a lot in terms of how long it takes to arrive. I was DLS on a Monday, I got the call on a Tuesday, and my letter arrived that Saturday.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby JustE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm

DOUBLE SHIT. No info? I'M RUNNING OUT OF STUFF TO READ!!!!


Cool... Thanks...

User avatar
crooked
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby crooked » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm

JustE wrote:DOUBLE SHIT. No info? I'M RUNNING OUT OF STUFF TO READ!!!!


Cool... Thanks...


You can always poke around on the admitted students website. And there are a bunch of 1L blogs that are ... not super informative.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby JustE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:12 pm

crooked wrote:
JustE wrote:DOUBLE SHIT. No info? I'M RUNNING OUT OF STUFF TO READ!!!!


Cool... Thanks...


You can always poke around on the admitted students website. And there are a bunch of 1L blogs that are ... not super informative.


Yeah... I've already spent one work day browsing the ASW... I didn't see the blog, though. Maybe I'll check that out next.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Is it feasible to commute from New Jersey to NYU or Columbia?


Depending on where in Jersey you live, it's absolutely feasible.
If you're somewhere near a train, those come into penn station, and it's under half an hour to either NYU or Columbia. Same goes for taking a bus that gets into the Port Authority.

From Jersey City or Hoboken, you can take the path and connect to a cross-town bus to get to NYU, although Columbia might be a bit too far.

From northern jersey, taking the bus to the GW Bridge connects easily to Columbia.

If you can study on the bus/train, it's nothing.


Note: if you're looking for a cheap place to live, for NYU I recommend the lower east side or chinatown, which'll save you a few hundred bucks a month. Alternatively, there are cheap places to live in brooklyn, although the commute is a bit longer.

For Columbia, I'd recomment living around 190-200 street in Manhattan. It's a cheap but safe area and about 1/2 an hour away. Alternatively, there's Harlem, which is scary for some, but honestly, no worse a neighbourhood than where columbia is; perhaps a better idea for 2Ls who've gtten used to the city.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cfitz, hellohalo, hopes&dreams, Houzy, Rio123, shotgunheist and 16 guests