In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

smokeylarue

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby smokeylarue » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:40 am

Boston_NYG2245 wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:It's not just the temperature, even though SoCal has the best. Its the lack of humidity, the fact that it never snows and rarely rains, the world class beaches, diversity of races and therefore diversity of good food (I know NYC can definitely compete with this), and our hot girls. Ugh I'm getting sad just writing this lol.

I've lived in both places, and there's things I like and dislike about both, overall I slightly prefer LA. Obviously the weather in SoCal kicks the crap out of NY (or anywhere else in the world that I've been to) and the girls are hotter, but what really puts it over the top for me is quality Mexican food, which cannot be found in the Northeast at all.

NY has a better bar scene and more going on on a daily basis. The one great advantage that NY has is public transit as well as less land area meaning cheaper cab rides. It's really nice being able to go out to a bar and not having to worry about getting a DD, which also means that one of your friends doesn't have to be a downer all night.

Ah yes love the no need to own a car reason. +1 to NYC for sure.

planeride

Postby planeride » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:07 am

Predictably, chasgoose is getting a lot of hate on this thread...still, I appreciate having a different perspective. Much better than reading pages and pages of people agreeing with each other. :)

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:23 am

smokeylarue wrote:
Ah yes love the no need to own a car reason. +1 to NYC for sure.

I miss my car every morning when I step onto a crowded, hot subway laden down with law textbooks. Interacting with people on a daily basis is more annoying than I thought it would be. Granted yes it is nice not to have to worry about a DD.

planeride wrote:Predictably, chasgoose is getting a lot of hate on this thread...still, I appreciate having a different perspective. Much better than reading pages and pages of people agreeing with each other. :)

I am trying to play devil's advocate here, because I get frustrated with people being like oh aren't you so glad you aren't in LA anymore when they hear where I used to be living. I know I am in the minority, and I really thought I would like NYC better than LA when I first moved there, but LA surprisingly grew on me, and so far NYC hasn't as much.

That said, I really do like NYU as much as any 1L can like their law school, and despite it being in NYC and not in LA, I am very glad that I chose to go there. If you guys actually have any questions about NYU or why you should choose NYU, I'd be happy to answer them (I promise I won't hate on NYC too much).

Also, I have to say that I'm jealous of you guys for already being into NYU, at this point last year I hadn't applied anywhere yet...

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:36 am

chasgoose wrote:I am trying to play devil's advocate here, because I get frustrated with people being like oh aren't you so glad you aren't in LA anymore when they hear where I used to be living. I know I am in the minority, and I really thought I would like NYC better than LA when I first moved there, but LA surprisingly grew on me, and so far NYC hasn't as much.

That said, I really do like NYU as much as any 1L can like their law school, and despite it being in NYC and not in LA, I am very glad that I chose to go there. If you guys actually have any questions about NYU or why you should choose NYU, I'd be happy to answer them (I promise I won't hate on NYC too much).

Also, I have to say that I'm jealous of you guys for already being into NYU, at this point last year I hadn't applied anywhere yet...

Haha, I get that. I have similar feelings about the days when it feels like the entire state unites to ask me how I could ever want to leave the 'greatest state in the US' :roll:

Since you're here, why'd you pick nyu (since it wasn't for the location)? Default best school you got into or something else?
Last edited by snehpets on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:56 am

snehpets wrote:
chasgoose wrote:I am trying to play devil's advocate here, because I get frustrated with people being like oh aren't you so glad you aren't in LA anymore when they hear where I used to be living. I know I am in the minority, and I really thought I would like NYC better than LA when I first moved there, but LA surprisingly grew on me, and so far NYC hasn't as much.

Haha, I get that. I have similar feelings about the days when it feels like the entire state of Texas unites to ask me how I could ever want to leave the 'greatest state in the US' :roll:

Since you're here, why'd you pick nyu (since it wasn't for the location)? Default best school you got into or something else?

Well going into the law school process, NYU was my first choice. I wanted to at least give myself the option of getting a job somewhere other than LA and I knew I wasn't going to get into SLS. I blanketed most of the T14, and ultimately the decision came down to (as it will for many of you) NYU/CLS. In the end, I liked the general vibe I got from NYU better, there seemed to be more energy rather than default "the CLS name will open so many doors" refrain that constantly was repeated to me.

Also, even though I ultimately want to sell my soul to the highest BigLaw bidder, I really like the fact that a decent number of people at NYU are interested in PI/Government type things so there is a diversity of opinions and interests and attitudes. Finally, this could be self-selective, but there is sort of an unspoken effort to impose a collaborative/slightly more laid-back attitude among students at NYU. Obviously it's still law school, but there is social pressure not to be a crazy gunner and to help your fellow classmates more than I think there is at other schools (based on friends' reactions to my descriptions of life @ NYU). We also have a crazy good faculty, like not just big names, but also great teachers. I never expected to really like my professors or classes here, but I can honestly say that my CivPro professor and class was probably in the top 5 of all teachers/professors/classes I have ever had.

Finally, I like the location better. As I mentioned above, it's very easy to get stuck in a rut in law school and only spend time where you live or where you go to school. At least there is a lot of stuff to do right near NYU, when I am feeling like I want to do something, but am too lazy to put in the effort to venture further afield. The area directly surrounding the school gets to be the worst (like I cringe when I watch the credits for Louie) but walk a few blocks and you are in a cool part of town with great stuff. I also get to live in Brooklyn, which I definitely recommend to those willing to apartment hunt before moving out here. Although there is a lot to recommend about Mercer/D'Ag, I am so glad I am able to flee law school and go home to a place that is not anywhere near it when I want to. Also, Brooklyn is cheaper and not too hard to get to school from (I live about 5 minutes from the D which then takes 3 stops to get to W. 4th St. which is around the corner from Vanderbilt Hall).

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:18 pm

planeride wrote:Predictably, chasgoose is getting a lot of hate on this thread...still, I appreciate having a different perspective. Much better than reading pages and pages of people agreeing with each other. :)

Dude it's the NYU thread what else would you get...

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:20 pm

chasgoose wrote:
Well going into the law school process, NYU was my first choice. I wanted to at least give myself the option of getting a job somewhere other than LA and I knew I wasn't going to get into SLS. I blanketed most of the T14, and ultimately the decision came down to (as it will for many of you) NYU/CLS. In the end, I liked the general vibe I got from NYU better, there seemed to be more energy rather than default "the CLS name will open so many doors" refrain that constantly was repeated to me.

Also, even though I ultimately want to sell my soul to the highest BigLaw bidder, I really like the fact that a decent number of people at NYU are interested in PI/Government type things so there is a diversity of opinions and interests and attitudes. Finally, this could be self-selective, but there is sort of an unspoken effort to impose a collaborative/slightly more laid-back attitude among students at NYU. Obviously it's still law school, but there is social pressure not to be a crazy gunner and to help your fellow classmates more than I think there is at other schools (based on friends' reactions to my descriptions of life @ NYU). We also have a crazy good faculty, like not just big names, but also great teachers. I never expected to really like my professors or classes here, but I can honestly say that my CivPro professor and class was probably in the top 5 of all teachers/professors/classes I have ever had.

Finally, I like the location better. As I mentioned above, it's very easy to get stuck in a rut in law school and only spend time where you live or where you go to school. At least there is a lot of stuff to do right near NYU, when I am feeling like I want to do something, but am too lazy to put in the effort to venture further afield. The area directly surrounding the school gets to be the worst (like I cringe when I watch the credits for Louie) but walk a few blocks and you are in a cool part of town with great stuff. I also get to live in Brooklyn, which I definitely recommend to those willing to apartment hunt before moving out here. Although there is a lot to recommend about Mercer/D'Ag, I am so glad I am able to flee law school and go home to a place that is not anywhere near it when I want to. Also, Brooklyn is cheaper and not too hard to get to school from (I live about 5 minutes from the D which then takes 3 stops to get to W. 4th St. which is around the corner from Vanderbilt Hall).

Cool, thanks. I really like how many nyu students seem to share your view. It's also a lot more helpful to hear things like this rather than listening to people prestige whoring about C, C or N. it's the t6, they're all pretty prestigious. Posts like this are way more useful.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:30 pm

snehpets wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

Cool, thanks. I really like how many nyu students seem to share your view. It's also a lot more helpful to hear things like this rather than listening to people prestige whoring about C, C or N. it's the t6, they're all pretty prestigious. Posts like this are way more useful.

I mean despite what I said all schools are still law schools and far more similar than different... The point is within like CCN if you lean one way or another for whatever reason like vibe or location or if one school gives you more money, you shouldn't feel bad about going there. No school is going to afford you general opportunities that the other wouldn't. One thing I would mention as a rather substantive difference is quarter vs semester. Having just gone through law school exams, I can't imagine having to do that 5 more times let alone 8...

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:37 pm

chasgoose wrote:
snehpets wrote:

I mean despite what I said all schools are still law schools and far more similar than different... The point is within like CCN if you lean one way or another for whatever reason like vibe or location or if one school gives you more money, you shouldn't feel bad about going there. No school is going to afford you general opportunities that the other wouldn't. One thing I would mention as a rather substantive difference is quarter vs semester. Having just gone through law school exams, I can't imagine having to do that 5 more times let alone 8...

Yeah, for sure. I just meant I prefer discussions of 'vibe' differences than discussing each school's prestige level.

Which schools do quarters? That sounds hellish.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

snehpets wrote:
chasgoose wrote:
snehpets wrote:

Yeah, for sure. I just meant I prefer discussions of 'vibe' differences than discussing each school's prestige level.

Which schools do quarters? That sounds hellish.

Off the top of my head Chicago and Stanford... Yeah at least with NYU, the general vibe that people associate with it has been accurate. Possibly because of the fact that many choose it because of that perception and thus it's populated looking for such an atmosphere...but like of course it's not all puppies and sunshine, people are still intense and it's on a curve, but as much as any law school can be its relaxed. Also there is a post somewhere else here, but never underestimate the value of completely pass/fail LRW (lawyering at NYU). It takes so much pressure off...

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:49 am

Don't go to NYU they make you do tests you will die.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:56 am

Can people elaborate on the grading system at NYU? I've heard some conflicting things (i.e. it's pass/fail but not for everything vs. it's fail/pass/pass with honor for everything).

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:58 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Can people elaborate on the grading system at NYU? I've heard some conflicting things (i.e. it's pass/fail but not for everything vs. it's fail/pass/pass with honor for everything).

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... curve.html

You get grades. Supposedly.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Okay, I suppose I didn't mean to kill this thread. You should come to NYU. You could have this guy for Civil Procedure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_R._Miller

Which is worth the price of admission really (or it was for me). The Arthur Miller show at 9am three days a week...

All our profs were great, I can only speak for Section 3, however.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:59 pm

ahduth wrote:Okay, I suppose I didn't mean to kill this thread. You should come to NYU. You could have this guy for Civil Procedure:

Which is worth the price of admission really (or it was for me). The Arthur Miller show at 9am three days a week...

Or this guy, who might be even better: http://blogs.law.nyu.edu/magazine/uncat ... sacharoff/

Basically it's hard to go wrong with CivPro at NYU...

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:01 am

chasgoose wrote:
ahduth wrote:Okay, I suppose I didn't mean to kill this thread. You should come to NYU. You could have this guy for Civil Procedure:

Or this guy, who might be even better: http://blogs.law.nyu.edu/magazine/uncat ... sacharoff/

Pro Tip. They all use the same exam.

kaveman

Postby kaveman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:04 am

Am I the only one in this boat?: I almost wish I hadn't gotten in because it feels like such a catch 22. It's so hard to pass up the chance to live in New York AND go to a T6 law school, but the prospect of being over 200k in debt scares the shit outta me. Current students/recent alums/class of 2015/anyone: doesn't the prospect of being over 200k in debt scare the shit outta you??

poe

Postby poe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:02 am

kaveman wrote:Am I the only one in this boat?: I almost wish I hadn't gotten in because it feels like such a catch 22. It's so hard to pass up the chance to live in New York AND go to a T6 law school, but the prospect of being over 200k in debt scares the shit outta me. Current students/recent alums/class of 2015/anyone: doesn't the prospect of being over 200k in debt scare the shit outta you??

I'm definitely with you on that. It's terrifying.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:35 am

poe wrote:
kaveman wrote:Am I the only one in this boat?: I almost wish I hadn't gotten in because it feels like such a catch 22. It's so hard to pass up the chance to live in New York AND go to a T6 law school, but the prospect of being over 200k in debt scares the shit outta me. Current students/recent alums/class of 2015/anyone: doesn't the prospect of being over 200k in debt scare the shit outta you??

Yes. The only things making it mentally possible for me are a. almost every grad gets some kind job and b. My parents would probably bail me out if things got really desperate, if only to avoid seeing me on the news selling drugs or whatever.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:15 am

spacepenguin wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

Sort of, I know ours had a lot more Rule 23 than Section 5's.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:17 am

snehpets wrote:
poe wrote:

Yes. The only things making it mentally possible for me are a. almost every grad gets some kind job and b. My parents would probably bail me out if things got really desperate, if only to avoid seeing me on the news selling drugs or whatever.

Yeah, I think you have to really screw up not to get a decent job. Although it may not be your "dream" job (whether that be WLRK or the ICC or the DoJ or w/e), you should be able to pull it off from a financial standpoint. Lawyers aren't going away entirely, and employers seem to like NYU grads.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:24 pm

ahduth wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

Sort of, I know ours had a lot more Rule 23 than Section 5's.

Yeah we didn't really have to do any Class Action stuff it was an early Christmas miracle!

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:27 pm

ahduth wrote:
snehpets wrote:
poe wrote:

Yeah, I think you have to really screw up not to get a decent job. Although it may not be your "dream" job (whether that be WLRK or the ICC or the DoJ or w/e), you should be able to pull it off from a financial standpoint. Lawyers aren't going away entirely, and employers seem to like NYU grads.

This is true. So long as you aren't a complete weirdo and thus terrible at interviewing and aren't in like the bottom 10% of the class, you will probably get a job. Also if it helps, the two of you quoted who have stats posted will probably get at least $10k a year in Dean's Scholarships.

tng11

Postby tng11 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

callmepuck

Postby callmepuck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Long time lurker first time poster. So aside from being in fun NYC how many of you on here are as enthusiastic as I am of getting good grades in law school and still managing to get into some wild and crazy fun haha. I refuse to let law school kill the fire that burns within me. Can I get an Amen?! Or perhaps now that I got into a t6 I should just grow up huh?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”