In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

addy11

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby addy11 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
addy11 wrote:For those of you who don't know NYC very well or have never visited or who just want to love on the place, I thought I'd share this time lapse video. It's spare on Village shots, but it's a cool look at how vibrant and frenetic and unexpectedly beautiful city life is in Manhattan:

http://vimeo.com/willboisture/metropolis

More proof that NYC is the best place in the country world.

FTFEveryone :)

I'm not from NYC, but I have lived here for 2+ years, am pretty well-traveled, and have never found a city I've liked more.

It really is (IMO) the perfect city... the archetype of urban living. Even the horrible parts of it take on a positive note... they become shibboleths and badges of honor. New York changes so rapidly and is so atomized that very few New Yorkers will have the same experience. You'll meet people who live in the East Village who scoff at the frat stars on the UES; you'll meet Williamsburg hipsters who look down on the people from the LES, and hipsters from Astoria who look down on both groups; you'll meet patrician TriBeCa types who think Bloomingdale is dangerous. Regardless, you'll have had your unique New York experience, and however it shakes out I think everyone should have one in their life.

Anyway, /NY paean. It's wonderful. Everyone here should be excited about the chance to live in one of the indisputably most amazing (if not the most amazing) places in the world.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:55 pm

addy11 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
addy11 wrote:For those of you who don't know NYC very well or have never visited or who just want to love on the place, I thought I'd share this time lapse video. It's spare on Village shots, but it's a cool look at how vibrant and frenetic and unexpectedly beautiful city life is in Manhattan:

I'm not from NYC, but I have lived here for 2+ years, am pretty well-traveled, and have never found a city I've liked more.

It really is (IMO) the perfect city... the archetype of urban living. Even the horrible parts of it take on a positive note... they become shibboleths and badges of honor. New York changes so rapidly and is so atomized that very few New Yorkers will have the same experience. You'll meet people who live in the East Village who scoff at the frat stars on the UES; you'll meet Williamsburg hipsters who look down on the people from the LES, and hipsters from Astoria who look down on both groups; you'll meet patrician TriBeCa types who think Bloomingdale is dangerous. Regardless, you'll have had your unique New York experience, and however it shakes out I think everyone should have one in their life.

Anyway, /NY paean. It's wonderful. Everyone here should be excited about the chance to live in one of the indisputably most amazing (if not the most amazing) places in the world.

I think I love you.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:24 pm

addy11 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

you'll meet Williamsburg hipsters who look down on the people from the LES, and hipsters from Astoria who look down on both groups;

As someone currently in the process of moving from North Brooklyn to Astoria I have to say...fair enough. :)

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:45 pm

addy11 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

I can get on board with that :mrgreen: I haven't been to Europe (really want to travel to London, Paris, etc), but so far New York is definitely my favorite place in the world.

Just did some more rough calculations for Michigan placement (they just released their detailed info) in firms (w/ 101+ attorneys)/PI/fed clerkships, and it looks like the ~10%+ gap remains between CCN and MVP (this is the case even before c/o 2010).

gloriouscause

Postby gloriouscause » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:47 am

Digging the NYC love in this thread

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:27 am

<3<3<3<3<3

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:47 am

zworykin wrote:

<3<3<3<3<3

That was amazing.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:58 am

Ugh, I want to move back to LA. NYC=Overrated. Also, as a 1L (at least during first semester), you will not be enjoying all that the city has to offer. It will instead taunt you with its wonders and you will feel as though you never leave Greenwich Village (or the village and wherever else you live). Finally, it's gross and cold and it rains all the time.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:10 pm

chasgoose wrote:Ugh, I want to move back to LA. NYC=Overrated. Also, as a 1L (at least during first semester), you will not be enjoying all that the city has to offer. It will instead taunt you with its wonders and you will feel as though you never leave Greenwich Village (or the village and wherever else you live). Finally, it's gross and cold and it rains all the time.

Lol. What alternative school do you recommend?

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:40 pm

snehpets wrote:
chasgoose wrote:Ugh, I want to move back to LA. NYC=Overrated. Also, as a 1L (at least during first semester), you will not be enjoying all that the city has to offer. It will instead taunt you with its wonders and you will feel as though you never leave Greenwich Village (or the village and wherever else you live). Finally, it's gross and cold and it rains all the time.

I mean I don't, but of the many reasons to go to NYU, at least for your first semester, NYC isn't one of them. Unfortunately, most top schools are in gross cold places, so I guess if you are going to be in one you might as well be in NYC (I mean gross and cold in NYC is still better than the South or being trapped in SV suburbia in Palo Alto). Mostly I just want a T6 law school to open up in LA.

Since that is not the case, NYU is the clear winner of the CCN category, at least it has been for me thus far. Hyde Park is weird and if you are going to be stuck in one part of NYC at least the NYU area has a lot of good stuff in it (directly surrounding the school is gross, but a few blocks further afield is good) being trapped in Morningside Heights might be even more depressing.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:57 pm

chasgoose wrote:
snehpets wrote:

I mean I don't, but of the many reasons to go to NYU, at least for your first semester, NYC isn't one of them. Unfortunately, most top schools are in gross cold places, so I guess if you are going to be in one you might as well be in NYC (I mean gross and cold in NYC is still better than the South or being trapped in SV suburbia in Palo Alto). Mostly I just want a T6 law school to open up in LA.

Since that is not the case, NYU is the clear winner of the CCN category, at least it has been for me thus far. Hyde Park is weird and if you are going to be stuck in one part of NYC at least the NYU area has a lot of good stuff in it (directly surrounding the school is gross, but a few blocks further afield is good) being trapped in Morningside Heights might be even more depressing.

I've never understood why Angelinos are so persnickety about weather. I have cousins born and raised in SoCal who refused very good grad school programs because they couldn't face the prospect of a single Northeast winter. I feel legitimately bad for the OP, because this winter has been one of the most pleasant and warm on record for the Northeast, especially NYC... I can't imagine it being any better over the next two years.

Anyway, to each their own. Not everyone likes New York, and it's not for everyone. In my experience the people who love LA and who love New York are mutually exclusive (I can't stand the city, and the weather is one of the only positive aspects about it IMO), and I would expect that if the OP shared his/her first reactions to NYC, they would differ markedly from most other people here.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Lol, I have friends at NYU right now who would beg to differ. So, no.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

It's not that I hate NYC, I still think its probably the second best city in the country, its just no LA.

I mean I went out more than most I think, but you just don't have that much free time (protip: don't feel guilty when you aren't working, its so easy to let those feelings suck you in and ruin your evening). I used to live in NYC before law school and it was a completely different experience. I don't think my experience is that atypical, most people I know in my section (and we are not the shut-ins who do nothing but sit in the library 24/7) complain about the fact that we don't do enough outside our little bubble. One of the biggest reasons I can recommend NOT living in the dorms is that you will start feeling like you never leave Greenwich Village/SoHo because there is so much to do right around campus and Mercer/D'ag that you have very little motivation to leave (and when all you want is a chill place to get a drink/brunch there is laziness is a powerful force). In theory, at least when I do have free time, its nice to be able to do almost ANYTHING, but on the flip side there is so much you want to do that you can't that it ends up being frustrating.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:35 pm

chasgoose wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

It's not that I hate NYC, I still think its probably the second best city in the country, its just no LA.

I mean I went out more than most I think, but you just don't have that much free time (protip: don't feel guilty when you aren't working, its so easy to let those feelings suck you in and ruin your evening). I used to live in NYC before law school and it was a completely different experience. I don't think my experience is that atypical, most people I know in my section (and we are not the shut-ins who do nothing but sit in the library 24/7) complain about the fact that we don't do enough outside our little bubble. One of the biggest reasons I can recommend NOT living in the dorms is that you will start feeling like you never leave Greenwich Village/SoHo because there is so much to do right around campus and Mercer/D'ag that you have very little motivation to leave (and when all you want is a chill place to get a drink/brunch there is laziness is a powerful force). In theory, at least when I do have free time, its nice to be able to do almost ANYTHING, but on the flip side there is so much you want to do that you can't that it ends up being frustrating.

I really needed a good laugh.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
chasgoose wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

Lol, I didn't realize LA was a city. I thought it was an extended suburbia with small pockets of urbanity.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:45 pm

this is all making it very hard for me to write my USC Rothman essay....

haha :D

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

Lol, I didn't realize LA was a city. I thought it was an extended suburbia with small pockets of urbanity.

And lots of fake boobs and nosejobs. Can't forget the fake boobs and nosejobs.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:58 pm

As a native Southern Californian who will likely end up at NYU in the fall, I can attest to the fact that leaving this weather (Christmas was 75 degrees yesterday) will be as difficult as a mother abandoning her baby at the front door of a hospital.

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Take Two wrote:this is all making it very hard for me to write my USC Rothman essay....

haha :D

+1 isn't strong enough *le sigh*

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:02 pm

The weather in my part of the south isn't that different than LA weather but I don't think it inspires the same level of loyalty. Maybe because it's humid as hell here. I'm also looking forward to experiencing four seasons, as opposed to Summer and Not Summer.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:21 pm

It's not just the temperature, even though SoCal has the best. Its the lack of humidity, the fact that it never snows and rarely rains, the world class beaches, diversity of races and therefore diversity of good food (I know NYC can definitely compete with this), and our hot girls. Ugh I'm getting sad just writing this lol.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:08 pm

smokeylarue wrote:It's not just the temperature, even though SoCal has the best. Its the lack of humidity, the fact that it never snows and rarely rains, the world class beaches, diversity of races and therefore diversity of good food (I know NYC can definitely compete with this), and our hot girls. Ugh I'm getting sad just writing this lol.

Then don't come to NYU.

HTH.

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:19 pm

smokeylarue wrote:It's not just the temperature, even though SoCal has the best. Its the lack of humidity, the fact that it never snows and rarely rains, the world class beaches, diversity of races and therefore diversity of good food (I know NYC can definitely compete with this), and our hot girls. Ugh I'm getting sad just writing this lol.

I've lived in both places, and there's things I like and dislike about both, overall I slightly prefer LA. Obviously the weather in SoCal kicks the crap out of NY (or anywhere else in the world that I've been to) and the girls are hotter, but what really puts it over the top for me is quality Mexican food, which cannot be found in the Northeast at all.

NY has a better bar scene and more going on on a daily basis. The one great advantage that NY has is public transit as well as less land area meaning cheaper cab rides. It's really nice being able to go out to a bar and not having to worry about getting a DD, which also means that one of your friends doesn't have to be a downer all night.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Boston_NYG2245 wrote:

I've lived in both places, and there's things I like and dislike about both, overall I slightly prefer LA. Obviously the weather in SoCal kicks the crap out of NY (or anywhere else in the world that I've been to) and the girls are hotter, but what really puts it over the top for me is quality Mexican food, which cannot be found in the Northeast at all.

NY has a better bar scene and more going on on a daily basis. The one great advantage that NY has is public transit as well as less land area meaning cheaper cab rides. It's really nice being able to go out to a bar and not having to worry about getting a DD, which also means that one of your friends doesn't have to be a downer all night.

I'd kill myself if I didn't live somewhere it snowed.

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:31 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
Boston_NYG2245 wrote:

NY has a better bar scene and more going on on a daily basis. The one great advantage that NY has is public transit as well as less land area meaning cheaper cab rides. It's really nice being to go out to a bar and not having to worry about getting a DD, which also means that one of your friends doesn't have to be a downer all night.

I'd kill myself if I didn't live somewhere it snowed.

It's kinda funny because I'm an avid snowboarder and living in LA was actually better than NY for winter sports. The closest decent mountains to NY are in VT or Western Mass (Berkshires), which is a 4 hour drive minimum. LA is 6 hours from Mammoth Mountain, which in my opinion has better runs than anywhere on the East Coast. But if you just like snow then yeah, NY is better than LA by a lot.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”