In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:06 pm

For those who were denied, try giving them a call to see if you can get a few days.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:17 am

Do we know how strict NYU is with deposit stuff?

Is there any language on the intent to enroll form I should make note of?
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Do we know how strict NYU is with deposit stuff? I'm currently deposited at another school and debating whether I need to withdraw myself from that school before/during a deposit at NYU, as my mind isn't made up at all...

Is there any language on the intent to enroll form I should make note of?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2diy-r3ePJ0 :D

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

You have to confirm that you have withdrawn from all other schools to which you have been admitted before submitting the intent to enroll at NYU. If they find out that you have misrepresented this, I doubt they would take kindly to it, and they would probably report it to the other school at which you have deposited.
Last edited by crumpledq on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:43 am

crumpledq wrote:You have to confirm that you have withdrawn from all other schools to which you have been admitted before submitting the intent to enroll at NYU. If they find out that you have misrepresented this, I doubt they would take kindly to it, and they would probably report it to the other school at which you have deposited.
Good to know. Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
crumpledq wrote:You have to confirm that you have withdrawn from all other schools to which you have been admitted before submitting the intent to enroll at NYU. If they find out that you have misrepresented this, I doubt they would take kindly to it, and they would probably report it to the other school at which you have deposited.
Good to know. Thank you.
That's not totally accurate. LSAC explicitly allows multiple depositing if you're still waiting to hear from financial aid for a different school. They can't force you to withdraw from other schools you've been accepted to. But in May LSAC will tell all of the schools you've deposited to.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Nelson wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Good to know. Thank you.
That's not totally accurate. LSAC explicitly allows multiple depositing if you're still waiting to hear from financial aid for a different school. They can't force you to withdraw from other schools you've been accepted to. But in May LSAC will tell all of the schools you've deposited to.
Right. I know of the May 15th deposit date, I was just wondering if there was anything else I needed to consider. I guess it's technically discouraged, but before May 15th there's not much any school can do. I hate these scholarships with front loaded dates to them.

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Nelson wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Good to know. Thank you.
Well, technically my words were literally accurate, and I didn't intend to imply anything beyond them. Regardless of whether they can actually force you to withdraw under LSAC rules, the enrollment form does require you to confirm that you have withdrawn from all schools to which you have been admitted. Here is the language from the enrollment form:

"I plan to enroll at NYU School of Law in Fall 2012. I have no commitment to attend another law school, have not deferred enrollment at another law school, will not apply to another law school, AND HAVE WITHDRAWN FROM OTHER LAW SCHOOLS TO WHICH I WAS ADMITTED" (emphasis added).

Whether they are allowed to rescind your admission offer if they find out about a misrepresentation on your intent to enroll form, I don't know. They certainly can communicate with the other schools at which you have deposited about a misrepresentation, and it's just not something I would want to have to report on a bar application under character and fitness (I admit to paranoia about such things and prefer to err on the side of caution).

But if what Nelson points out about LSAC is true NYU might not be able to penalize you for it, though I'm not sure why LSAC would allow them to use this kind of language on an intent to enroll form if they couldn't. This may require more research.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:21 pm

It might be bending the definition of "decision" but the LSAC rule is you only need to withdraw from schools which have given you a decision. But if the financial aid information isn't out yet, then you haven't received a final decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Nelson wrote:It might be bending the definition of "decision" but the LSAC rule is you only need to withdraw from schools which have given you a decision. But if the financial aid information isn't out yet, then you haven't received a final decision.
See, this is why I need to go to law school--so I can learn to interpret LSAC rules :)

jd20122015

New

Post by jd20122015 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:27 pm

if we were denied our financial aid appeal, is it possible to try and appeal again? or is a lost cause..$0 here and nyu is my top choice (barring unlikely admission at stanford).

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:36 pm

i appealed twice. got 0 from nyu. got a scholarship at another CCN. i appealed. denied. then the scholarship was upped, I appealed again. still nothing. but, there's absolutely nothing to lose by appealing again so i say give it a shot.

jd20122015

New

Post by jd20122015 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:38 pm

cjcregg wrote:i appealed twice. got 0 from nyu. got a scholarship at another CCN. i appealed. denied. then the scholarship was upped, I appealed again. still nothing. but, there's absolutely nothing to lose by appealing again so i say give it a shot.
thanks! do you have any suggestions as to how to make a second appeal...what should be said?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:44 pm

jd20122015 wrote:
cjcregg wrote:i appealed twice. got 0 from nyu. got a scholarship at another CCN. i appealed. denied. then the scholarship was upped, I appealed again. still nothing. but, there's absolutely nothing to lose by appealing again so i say give it a shot.
thanks! do you have any suggestions as to how to make a second appeal...what should be said?
Do you have a reason why they should reconsider (e.g. scholarship offer elsewhere)?

jd20122015

New

Post by jd20122015 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:47 pm

not really..i got a pretty substantial scholarship from penn and some huge ones/full rides from the t-20 which i mentioned in my initial appeal. is sticker worth it? i'd much rather be in new york than philadelphia.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:58 pm

jd20122015 wrote:not really..i got a pretty substantial scholarship from penn and some huge ones/full rides from the t-20 which i mentioned in my initial appeal. is sticker worth it? i'd much rather be in new york than philadelphia.
Tough. Think about this: how much of the gap between the other scholarship offers would they have to close for you to pick NYU? They probably aren't going to close much of the gap even if they do give you money.

Example: Penn gave you 40k. NYU would at best probably give you 20k. Would you pick NYU in that case? If not, you'd be turning NYU down to save 20k. You'd have to ask yourself if you'd be willing to do that. TLS tends to err on the side of "take the money don't be a fool" -- but I don't. Is NYU at sticker worth it, IMO? No. But is it worth it if the near/equally good alternatives only save you somewhere around 30k? Yes.

Hope that helps.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Fin Aid: 0

That one hurt NYU :? Can't say I'm shocked; just kind of disappointed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:59 pm

indigomachine wrote:Fin Aid: 0

At least they told you what you're getting... I was supposed to hear from them 3 weeks ago, and still nothing. DoorKeeper thinks my incessant calls to the finaid office count as verbal harassment.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 pm

hypothalamus wrote:

At least they told you what you're getting... I was supposed to hear from them 3 weeks ago, and still nothing. DoorKeeper thinks my incessant calls to the finaid office count as verbal harassment.
Ah well... I kind of accepted this as a likely scenario going into ED. But the 225k+interest is still kind of daunting...

Harass away Hypo :)

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:02 pm

indigomachine wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:

Ah well... I kind of accepted this as a likely scenario going into ED. But the 225k+interest is still kind of daunting...

Harass away Hypo :)
Victory is mine!!!

My harassment has finally yielded results! :D Muahahaha!

thelong

Silver

Post by thelong » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Finally!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:03 pm

thelong wrote:Finally!
Hypothalamus likes this. :)

salamanders

New

Post by salamanders » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:44 pm

NYU is the only school that has offered me $0. That makes it easier... :roll:

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:55 am

Um soooo... How do I deposit? :D

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:56 am

hypothalamus wrote:Um soooo... How do I deposit? :D
I'll PM you my address and you can just drop a check in the mail :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”