In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

WhiteGuy5

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Wtf is someone who is not IN AT NYU doing in this thread (let alone at ADMITTED students weekend)?

Although...I guess the cycle is over so the thread can be hijacked. Never mind, carry on. :D

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:21 pm

lsacqueen wrote:So which school is generally stingier with financial aid, Columbia or NYU?

And if you're trying to negotiate $$ with schools, who do CCN view as peer schools outside of CCN?

No offense, but you're in the wrong forum to be asking all these questions. Also, you should probably worry about getting into NYU and CLS before worrying about scholarships. If you want to ask questions there are a few "NYU 1L/2L/3L/whatever taking questions" threads.

edit: scooped(ish)

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:16 am

My bad, I didn't realize asking a forum of 0Ls who have already gone through this process and are in at NYU, my dream school, would be such a crazy idea. Didn't know there was another thread for this purpose. My sincerest apologies...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:20 am

lsacqueen wrote:My bad, I didn't realize asking a forum of 0Ls who have already gone through this process and are in at NYU, my dream school, would be such a crazy idea. Didn't know there was another thread for this purpose. My sincerest apologies...

I'm happy to answer questions in the other threads, you don't have to be so snarky. I just don't want this thread for current admitted students trying to make decisions about NYU to get off-topic. There are plenty of other places on this forum. Plus, most of your questions can be answered using the search function, since they've been discussed at length. You're also asking about negotiating scholarships with schools that you will be fortunate to be admitted to with your numbers. You're getting way ahead of yourself.

Anyways... ask your questions in the threads that are made for asking those questions.

pancakelover

Postby pancakelover » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:08 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:My bad, I didn't realize asking a forum of 0Ls who have already gone through this process and are in at NYU, my dream school, would be such a crazy idea. Didn't know there was another thread for this purpose. My sincerest apologies...

I'm happy to answer questions in the other threads, you don't have to be so snarky. I just don't want this thread for current admitted students trying to make decisions about NYU to get off-topic. There are plenty of other places on this forum. Plus, most of your questions can be answered using the search function, since they've been discussed at length. You're also asking about negotiating scholarships with schools that you will be fortunate to be admitted to with your numbers. You're getting way ahead of yourself.

Anyways... ask your questions in the threads that are made for asking those questions.

Dude, BL, I wish I had asked more of these types of questions before. She said she didn't know there was another thread, so it was probably an honest and pretty harmless mistake. I think you should watch how you talk down to other posters, because if it's any indication of how you are in real life, you're going to have some trouble making friends in law school. :roll:

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:45 am

pancakelover wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Dude, BL, I wish I had asked more of these types of questions before. She said she didn't know there was another thread, so it was probably an honest and pretty harmless mistake. I think you should watch how you talk down to other posters, because if it's any indication of how you are in real life, you're going to have some trouble making friends in law school. :roll:

Dude, PL, I answered the first couple questions and then after a few I kindly told her that there is a better location for these questions. She responded with, what I interpreted to be, a snarky comment.

I was just trying to clear this thread up so you guys can talk about NYU ASW, scholarship negotiation, and other things pertinent to making your decision about where to attend.

Oh, and thanks for your concern about my ability to make friends here, but I'm doing just fine :wink:

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:51 am

Long live Birdlaw. I hate pancakes. Ok that was a lie, I love pancakes.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:55 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Long live Birdlaw. I hate pancakes. Ok that was a lie, I love pancakes.

So tasty.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:04 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Long live Birdlaw. I hate pancakes. Ok that was a lie, I love pancakes.

So tasty.

Someone should introduce pancakelover to MrPancake. I think they'd hit it off.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:06 am

Yeshia90 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

So tasty.

Someone should introduce pancakelover to MrPancake. I think they'd hit it off.

I think pancakelover would be getting a better deal

wesleyangrad

Postby wesleyangrad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:55 am

+1. Also, I love anyone going with a Donatello avatar. Totally the best (and apparently richest?) ninja turtle.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 am

pancakelover wrote:

He's not trying to be a dick, OP was just asking questions in a thread filled with people who aren't really qualified to know. It makes more sense to ask questions like that in the "ask a current student" threads bc their cycles are done and they can presumably give more informed answers. The on-topics would be a mess if no one ever told new posters where different threads are found. Personally, I'd much rather ask questions of people who have been at NYU for almost a year rather than someone who might've gotten in yesterday.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:03 pm

pancakelover wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

I agree with pancakelover. Being asked to follow established conventions and rules is a major dick move. I hope you're not that big of an ass in real life Mr. birdlaw117.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Any news on when we should hear an answer on appeals?

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:32 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:I agree with pancakelover. Being asked to follow established conventions and rules is a major dick move. I hope you're not that big of an ass in real life Mr. birdlaw117.

Really? He let her know that she should ask her questions somewhere else. It makes sense because a) this isn't the place for it and b) she could actually get better information over there.

If anything, the only bad manner part of his post is that he called her out on getting ahead of herself. Her numbers are good, but not auto-admit at NYU or Columbia and yet she's asking about scholly? It just sounds presumptuous. Calling her out on it is unnecessary, but I don't think BL meant it disparagingly.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:34 pm

blue_c wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:I agree with pancakelover. Being asked to follow established conventions and rules is a major dick move. I hope you're not that big of an ass in real life Mr. birdlaw117.

Really? He let her know that she should ask her questions somewhere else. It makes sense because a) this isn't the place for it and b) she could actually get better information over there.

If anything, the only bad manner part of his post is that he called her out on getting ahead of herself. Her numbers are good, but not auto-admit at NYU or Columbia and yet she's asking about scholly? It just sounds presumptuous. Calling her out on it is unnecessary, but I don't think BL meant it disparagingly.

I was being sarcastic lol :)

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:11 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:I was being sarcastic lol :)

Good. Just making sure.

Mal Reynolds wrote:Long live Birdlaw.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Just submitted my housing app. Holy god, that's a lot of money. 1 month in a tiny bedroom in a dorm in Washington Square Park is 3 months in my very mediocre apartment in [College town]. Holy fucking god.

80eight

Postby 80eight » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Unagi wrote:Any news on when we should hear an answer on appeals?

I don't want my appeal back :| seems like the longer it takes them to decide, the higher chance of your appeal being successful.

thelong

Postby thelong » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:Just submitted my housing app. Holy god, that's a lot of money. 1 month in a tiny bedroom in a dorm in Washington Square Park is 3 months in my very mediocre apartment in [College town]. Holy fucking god.

Yep. Waiting on my ID to do the same :(

crooked

Postby crooked » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:Just submitted my housing app. Holy god, that's a lot of money. 1 month in a tiny bedroom in a dorm in Washington Square Park is 3 months in my very mediocre apartment in [College town]. Holy fucking god.

Yeah, but New York is at least 4x > [College Town], so it's really a bargain :D

brewbain

Postby brewbain » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:35 pm

Hey y'all,

Any tips on what to do/avoid at the ASW coming up? I'm flying in and they didn't give me a travel stipend, so I don't want to waste my time putzing around at worthless sessions and not taking advantage of my time. Deciding between NYU and CLS.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:08 am

brewbain wrote:Hey y'all,

Any tips on what to do/avoid at the ASW coming up? I'm flying in and they didn't give me a travel stipend, so I don't want to waste my time putzing around at worthless sessions and not taking advantage of my time. Deciding between NYU and CLS.

It depends on what is going to make the difference for you. Are you interested in particular fields of law? Public Interesty things? Or are you more interested in Quality of Life things? Or, perhaps you just want to have a good time.

Personally, I would make sure you spend some time soaking up the atmosphere in the Village. I think being in the Village is what sells NYU to a lot of students, particularly those choosing between CLS and NYU. Check out some restaurants and bars in the area. Spend some time walking around/laying around Washington Square Park (especially if it's as nice as it has been the last couple days). This advice goes for Morningside Heights as well. I can give you specific recommendations for around here if you want, but I can't for up there since I don't know the area all that well.

I'm going to be at whatever event is at 6:30 on Thursday, so you should definitely go to that because it will be awesome. Every admitted student I have talked to has said that the food at NYU's ASW has been the best they've had, so go to all the food-related events (there will be quite a few).

If you have specific questions feel free to ask me anything you want. I promise to give you a fairly unbiased view on anything that I'm relatively knowledgeable about (which is practically nothing), and other unbiased views on things that I know little-to-nothing about (most things fall into this category). Seriously though, I can probably answer most questions reasonably well, and if not I can usually find the answer pretty quickly.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:18 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
brewbain wrote:Hey y'all,

It depends on what is going to make the difference for you. Are you interested in particular fields of law? Public Interesty things? Or are you more interested in Quality of Life things? Or, perhaps you just want to have a good time.

Personally, I would make sure you spend some time soaking up the atmosphere in the Village. I think being in the Village is what sells NYU to a lot of students, particularly those choosing between CLS and NYU. Check out some restaurants and bars in the area. Spend some time walking around/laying around Washington Square Park (especially if it's as nice as it has been the last couple days). This advice goes for Morningside Heights as well. I can give you specific recommendations for around here if you want, but I can't for up there since I don't know the area all that well.

I'm going to be at whatever event is at 6:30 on Thursday, so you should definitely go to that because it will be awesome. Every admitted student I have talked to has said that the food at NYU's ASW has been the best they've had, so go to all the food-related events (there will be quite a few).

If you have specific questions feel free to ask me anything you want. I promise to give you a fairly unbiased view on anything that I'm relatively knowledgeable about (which is practically nothing), and other unbiased views on things that I know little-to-nothing about (most things fall into this category). Seriously though, I can probably answer most questions reasonably well, and if not I can usually find the answer pretty quickly.

This, so hard. That Artichoke pizza was unfuckingbelievable.

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:22 am

Yeshia90 wrote:This, so hard. That Artichoke pizza was unfuckingbelievable.

Yesh, you slept in and didn't even get the good stuff. Friday breakfast and lunch were very good. Make the little bit of effort and go. Plus you can talk to faculty. The guy at my breakfast table was way cool. The guy at lunch was nice, but not nearly as interesting to talk to IMO.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”