In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

snehpets

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Postby snehpets » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:30 pm

ahnhub wrote:
sailboat wrote:Got my fin aid offer... $0. Ugh.

Funny that they try to make the Stafford loan look like generosity on their part.

Yeah, schools should just stop doing that. It feels like they're insulting you.

Withdrawing today. My dumb Asian ass is giving up 37.5K and the Village 'cause my parents' friends think NYU is a trade school.

:lol:

teacher10456

Postby teacher10456 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:17 pm

hypothalamus wrote:Is there anyone else who still hasn't heard from the financial aid office?

I have not. I completed all my finaid stuff in early February and have been under final review since the beginning of March... I applied for a named scholarship.

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Hey guys sorry if I am completely naive, hoping you can help me, for some reason I feel like an idiot when it comes to this whole financial aid / scholarship world. Thanks in advance 8) and I am definitely headed to nyu law so...YAAY

Question:

I got on FAAPS and my status is "application in final stage of review"

Does this status reflect the status for both merit/scholarship and need-based aid? If not, when/how do you find out about merit?

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:28 pm

deadline extension request denied :cry:

crooked

Postby crooked » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Paid my deposit. Overwhelmingly happy and relieved to be done.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Had my appeal answered with the same amount, $0. Withdrew, best of luck to everyone.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:06 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Had my appeal answered with the same amount, $0. Withdrew, best of luck to everyone.

No money with your numbers? WTF is going on at Financial Aid at NYU?

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:Had my appeal answered with the same amount, $0. Withdrew, best of luck to everyone.

I don't get it either. I think parents money might have been an issue? Maybe? Either that or they just decided they didn't like me enough to match my other offers so why bother.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

I don't get it either. I think parents money might have been an issue? Maybe? Either that or they just decided they didn't like me enough to match my other offers so why bother.

I applied for only merit aid with a way worse GPA and got 60k.

I think Admissions officers do subjectively like and dislike admitted applicants. People with equal numbers to me have gotten way better awards from Chicago than I did.

Also, NYU may be assuming you're not really going there with your numbers, so maybe they figured why bother?

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Also, NYU may be assuming you're not really going there with your numbers, so maybe they figured why bother?

I just don't get why they admitted me then. Admitted someone and then not making an effort to have them attend hurts their yield. Offering money that I may or may not have accepted doesn't hurt them in any way if I end up going elsewhere.

Who knows, it is a very inexact science I suppose.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:41 pm

so_fetch wrote:Hey guys sorry if I am completely naive, hoping you can help me, for some reason I feel like an idiot when it comes to this whole financial aid / scholarship world. Thanks in advance 8) and I am definitely headed to nyu law so...YAAY

Question:

I got on FAAPS and my status is "application in final stage of review"

Does this status reflect the status for both merit/scholarship and need-based aid? If not, when/how do you find out about merit?

Yes- when you get your aid notification, it will include both merit and need-based numbers.

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:51 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

I just don't get why they admitted me then. Admitted someone and then not making an effort to have them attend hurts their yield. Offering money that I may or may not have accepted doesn't hurt them in any way if I end up going elsewhere.

My numbers are at HYS levels, but I opted for NYU because I need to stay in NY for personal reasons, and they offered me a great scholarship.

Columbia took ages to accept me (4+ months) and people said it might be for this reason. I opted for NYU over Columbia because NYU actually seemed to want me, while Columbia offered me radio silence. Not making a school attractive to people who might have better options isn't going to get people to choose your school over those better options, and seems like a really stupid strategy to me.

thelong

Postby thelong » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:51 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

According to TheLong's Theory of Admission and Aid: "Once admission of candidate is established, the Office of Financial Aid shall determine candidate's tier (I-IV) in relation to grant eligibility and spin the Wheel of Grant Aid to determine candidate's award or lack thereof."

Simply put, each candidate is assigned a tier based off of their stats/PS. Each tier representing higher brackets of potential aid. Each wheel consists of 10 spaces of varying size a la Wheel of Fortune, with the highest awards taking the smallest slices and 0's taking spaces similar to "Bankrupt." Tier I has a max award of $25k, Tier IV has a max award of $75k with a mystery slot called "named scholarship" which can lead to a bonus round where the candidate has up to a 1:2 or 1:3 chance of winning full tuition depending on what is revealed under the named scholarship slice.

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 pm

thelong wrote:According to TheLong's Theory of Admission and Aid: "Once admission of candidate is established, the Office of Financial Aid shall determine candidate's tier (I-IV) in relation to grant eligibility and spin the Wheel of Grant Aid to determine candidate's award or lack thereof."

Simply put, each candidate is assigned a tier based off of their stats/PS. Each tier representing higher brackets of potential aid. Each wheel consists of 10 spaces of varying size a la Wheel of Fortune, with the highest awards taking the smallest slices and 0's taking spaces similar to "Bankrupt." Tier I has a max award of $25k, Tier IV has a max award of $75k with a mystery slot called "named scholarship" which can lead to a bonus round where the candidate has up to a 1:2 or 1:3 chance of winning full tuition depending on what is revealed under the named scholarship slice.

I sadly hit a whammy (Different game. Deal with it)

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:46 pm

blue_c wrote:
thelong wrote:According to TheLong's Theory of Admission and Aid: "Once admission of candidate is established, the Office of Financial Aid shall determine candidate's tier (I-IV) in relation to grant eligibility and spin the Wheel of Grant Aid to determine candidate's award or lack thereof."

I sadly hit a whammy (Different game. Deal with it)

Did you apply late? I don't see how a person with your numbers is still being held this late in the game at so many schools.

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:44 pm

lsacqueen wrote:Did you apply late? I don't see how a person with your numbers is still being held this late in the game at so many schools.

I applied in late December. I'm only waiting on HS really (which isn't happening so my cycle is basically over as of today). Just wish I got some $ from NYU.

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:02 am

blue_c wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:Did you apply late? I don't see how a person with your numbers is still being held this late in the game at so many schools.

I applied in late December. I'm only waiting on HS really (which isn't happening so my cycle is basically over as of today). Just wish I got some $ from NYU.

link me to your lsn account? i want to see your cycle in more detail

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:58 am

thelong wrote:
According to TheLong's Theory of Admission and Aid: "Once admission of candidate is established, the Office of Financial Aid shall determine candidate's tier (I-IV) in relation to grant eligibility and spin the Wheel of Grant Aid to determine candidate's award or lack thereof."

+3

salamanders

Postby salamanders » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:22 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Sorry to hear this! They are being so weird... It's really turning me off to the school. When did you submit your appeal?

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:26 pm

lsacqueen wrote:link me to your lsn account? i want to see your cycle in more detail

Not a very interesting cycle. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bluec/jd

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:02 pm

salamanders wrote:
Sorry to hear this! They are being so weird... It's really turning me off to the school. When did you submit your appeal?

Monday I believe. Stopped by their office yesterday to let them know Chicago had been upped and to ask if they could have a decision before Sunday. Unfortunately, they could.

salamanders

Postby salamanders » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:30 pm

:(
StrictlyBusiness wrote:
salamanders wrote:

Monday I believe. Stopped by their office yesterday to let them know Chicago had been upped and to ask if they could have a decision before Sunday. Unfortunately, they could.

:( sorry.

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:15 pm

So which school is generally stingier with financial aid, Columbia or NYU?

And if you're trying to negotiate $$ with schools, who do CCN view as peer schools outside of CCN?

brogoc

Postby brogoc » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:04 pm

lsacqueen wrote:So which school is generally stingier with financial aid, Columbia or NYU?

And if you're trying to negotiate $$ with schools, who do CCN view as peer schools outside of CCN?

Columbia is much stingier. Columbia usually doesn't even want to match NYU scholarships, so I doubt they consider anything out of CCN a peer school.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:18 pm

brogoc wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:So which school is generally stingier with financial aid, Columbia or NYU?

Columbia is much stingier. Columbia usually doesn't even want to match NYU scholarships, so I doubt they consider anything out of CCN a peer school.

I've heard the same thing.

Still, since you aren't applying until next year (or, well, September at the absolute earliest), perhaps you should save some of this scholarship anxiety until next Feb. or so. I promise, it will save you a whole bunch of sanity. Plus, you need to have been accepted to both schools in order to even be considered for financial aid...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”