In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

lsacqueen

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Postby lsacqueen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:13 am

:roll: :? ahh so much admissions angst, and my cycle hasn't even started. I really don't know what to do. I would basically have to pay sticker I'm pretty sure, but I really want to work in NYC, no question. Love the city and all that, and prefer NYU to CLS. MVPN wouldn't be bad, but wouldn't go to the West Coast probably so Berkeley's out. Is a person with my numbers completely hopeless for AnBryce and named scholarships?

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:14 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:I got $37,500 plus Im gonna sell my car so I will contribute somewhere around $50,000 myself-plus hopefully some 2L summer money. That was enough for me to tell MVPB to go kick rocks because I loved NYU, NYC, the village what have you. If I had to pay sticker price I would have decided to go to a lower ranked school.

Congrats on the money! :) And damn, I wish my car was worth that much haha

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:16 am

lsacqueen wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:I got $37,500 plus Im gonna sell my car so I will contribute somewhere around $50,000 myself-plus hopefully some 2L summer money. That was enough for me to tell MVPB to go kick rocks because I loved NYU, NYC, the village what have you. If I had to pay sticker price I would have decided to go to a lower ranked school.

Didn't mean to humblebrag about my car :oops: I am a basically a poor besides that though. I wish I knew more about the named scholarships that I will defer to the other sexy ass people ITT.

And thanks :)

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:19 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:

Didn't mean to humblebrag about my car :oops: I am a basically a poor besides that though. I wish I knew more about the named scholarships that I will defer to the other sexy ass people ITT.

Haha it's all good, twas quite subtle. Now I'm kicking myself for not cancelling the first score, and not getting a better GPA/LSAT overall. blegh

kaveman

Postby kaveman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:10 am

lsacqueen wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:

Haha it's all good, twas quite subtle. Now I'm kicking myself for not cancelling the first score, and not getting a better GPA/LSAT overall. blegh

I got 62.5k with a muuuuch lower GPA, a cancel, a 172, and nothing game changing on my resume. My family has no money though, so that may have helped. Obviously your mileage may vary, but... ya.

crooked

Postby crooked » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:16 am

lsacqueen wrote:Not sure if this has been covered before here, but I"m applying to NYU next cycle and it's really my dream school. Visited last weekend and LOVED it. My numbers are 3.83 / 170 (166 first time). They say they average but if I have a compelling reason for discounting the lower score, do you think I'd get in?

And should I ED if I can't pay for the school without substantial scholarships? LSP puts me at 40-50% with a 170

Without knowing about your softs, letters of rec, PS, etc., obviously nothing is a given, but I think you have a decent shot. I'd apply as early as you possibly can to maximize your chances and write a really effusive "why NYU." If you can't afford the school without scholarship money I don't think you should ED (ETA: though I'm apparently in the minority on that).

Also, I'm wary of your "compelling reason" for a four-point LSAT jump. If you're writing an addendum about it (which is a little dangerous frankly because four points doesn't sound like something you need to explain away), be sure to take responsibility for whatever your behavior was - I think schools really dislike it when it sounds like you're not owning up to whatever you feel like you need an addendum for. I'm not saying you shouldn't write an addendum - just make sure you're mature and don't come across like you're trying to blame others/circumstances for things that were in your control.
Last edited by crooked on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:39 am

lsacqueen wrote:Not sure if this has been covered before here, but I"m applying to NYU next cycle and it's really my dream school. Visited last weekend and LOVED it. My numbers are 3.83 / 170 (166 first time). They say they average but if I have a compelling reason for discounting the lower score, do you think I'd get in?

And should I ED if I can't pay for the school without substantial scholarships? LSP puts me at 40-50% with a 170

You're going to have an uphill battle. But if you know this now, you can start working on your essays and put together a really good, consistent, and compelling narrative. That's the best advice I can give you right now.

NYU is unlikely to look at you as simply having a 170 LSAT. The reason is because the score bands on the LSAT really only prove that you had a 1 point increase (+/- 3 from the score, so your "true LSAT score" the second time around could still have been as low as 167). Then again, extra 170s may be nice because it's a number that NYU tries to hit for their 25th percentile. With the decrease in applicants they may need more 170s.

I would recommend EDing as well, although this cycle is doesn't seem to have given many people a noticeable bump. This might be something to look into, and if it doesn't seem like there was a big advantage to EDing, then don't.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:48 am

birdlaw117 wrote:

You're going to have an uphill battle. But if you know this now, you can start working on your essays and put together a really good, consistent, and compelling narrative. That's the best advice I can give you right now.

NYU is unlikely to look at you as simply having a 170 LSAT. The reason is because the score bands on the LSAT really only prove that you had a 1 point increase (+/- 3 from the score, so your "true LSAT score" the second time around could still have been as low as 167). Then again, extra 170s may be nice because it's a number that NYU tries to hit for their 25th percentile. With the decrease in applicants they may need more 170s.

I would recommend EDing as well, although this cycle is doesn't seem to have given many people a noticeable bump. This might be something to look into, and if it doesn't seem like there was a big advantage to EDing, then don't.

This is good advice.

If NYU is your dream, then ED to maximize your chances.

3.4x/173 GPA. EDer with a decent Dean's scholarship here.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:59 am

RonnyDworkin wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

This is good advice.

If NYU is your dream, then ED to maximize your chances.

3.4x/173 GPA. EDer with a decent Dean's scholarship here.

I also think you should ED. It doesn't seem to affect your chances of getting money.
And I'm here just to tell you anything is possible. I got in pretty early with a 168 and no reportable GPA, non URM, no fancy undergrad. Try to have good LORs and a good PS. I really think my PS is 90% responsable for my admission.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:22 am

Depositing today! So excited/nervous!

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:29 am

snehpets wrote:Depositing today! So excited/nervous!

hypothalamus likes this.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:08 am

I had to withdraw from NYU. I really loved the school and am a bit sad, and wish you guys the best going forward.

thatkid

Postby thatkid » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 am

snehpets wrote:Depositing today! So excited/nervous!

:D Don't be nervous, NYU has all the awesome people! Clearly, that means you belong there.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:12 am

Just to be clear, it's 100% okay if I wait for my decision from Harvard, correct? Even though I've deposited? Do I need to say anything to NYU?

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:06 am

snehpets wrote:Just to be clear, it's 100% okay if I wait for my decision from Harvard, correct? Even though I've deposited? Do I need to say anything to NYU?

Yea, it's fine if you wait for schools you haven't heard back from. And I haven't told NYU which schools I'm still waiting on and they've still given me my Net ID and what not. I doubt they'd want to know about it anyways.

sailboat

Postby sailboat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 am

Got my fin aid offer... $0. Ugh.

Funny that they try to make the Stafford loan look like generosity on their part.

potl

Postby potl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:27 am

Last edited by potl on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:46 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Has anyone negotiated an extension for scholarship offers? The day they gave me is the next business day after the ASW. That really doesn't work too well...

Anyone have anything on this?

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Has anyone negotiated an extension for scholarship offers? The day they gave me is the next business day after the ASW. That really doesn't work too well...

Yeah I emailed them and explained why I needed one (CLS scholarship offer) and they gave me a week

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:23 pm

snehpets wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Yeah I emailed them and explained why I needed one (CLS scholarship offer) and they gave me a week

Ok, thank you. Email the regular financial aid email? And did you attach a letter or just write in the body of the email? I know some schools are picky with communication formats.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Ok, thank you. Email the regular financial aid email? And did you attach a letter or just write in the body of the email? I know some schools are picky with communication formats.

I just wrote in the body of the email to the financial aid email address

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:27 pm

snehpets wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
snehpets wrote:Yeah I emailed them and explained why I needed one (CLS scholarship offer) and they gave me a week

I just wrote in the body of the email to the financial aid email address

Great! Thank you for the information!

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Seems like the consensus here is ED if I really want to go. I do really want to go, but yeah the money is an issue...

Congrats on everyone else who got in and hope to see you in a year! :D

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Is there anyone else who still hasn't heard from the financial aid office?

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:29 pm

sailboat wrote:Got my fin aid offer... $0. Ugh.

Funny that they try to make the Stafford loan look like generosity on their part.

Yeah, schools should just stop doing that. It feels like they're insulting you.

Withdrawing today. My dumb Asian ass is giving up 37.5K and the Village 'cause my parents' friends think NYU is a trade school.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”