In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

thelong

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Postby thelong » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:16 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
nochurchinthewild wrote:The tax returns we're supposed to send in order to confirm our awards...this is just the first several pages, right? We don't have to send in schedules and such?

On a related note, where exactly do we send these? Do we just email them a scan of the pages? or fill it out on Need Access?

I just asked finaid where they'd like it. Waiting on a response. If anyone knows, however, please share!

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Just submitted my finaid appeal.
How long are they taking to decide??

cjcregg

Postby cjcregg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:10 pm

they took about a half hour for me :( .. do most people appeal? unless you receive full scholarship or r uninterested in a school, there's no reason not to appeal right? i guess your grounds for appeal have to be very compelling.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 pm

cjcregg wrote:they took about a half hour for me :( .. do most people appeal? unless you receive full scholarship or r uninterested in a school, there's no reason not to appeal right? i guess your grounds for appeal have to be very compelling.

Does the :( mean they denied your appeal in less than an hour?

I filed my appeal on FAAPS this morning, but I wasn't really expecting a response in time for my Chicago/Northwestern deadline this weekend.

cjcregg

Postby cjcregg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:18 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
cjcregg wrote:they took about a half hour for me :( .. do most people appeal? unless you receive full scholarship or r uninterested in a school, there's no reason not to appeal right? i guess your grounds for appeal have to be very compelling.

yep.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:28 pm

thelong wrote:
xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
nochurchinthewild wrote:The tax returns we're supposed to send in order to confirm our awards...this is just the first several pages, right? We don't have to send in schedules and such?

On a related note, where exactly do we send these? Do we just email them a scan of the pages? or fill it out on Need Access?

I just asked finaid where they'd like it. Waiting on a response. If anyone knows, however, please share!

Apparently we can send them (as an attached document) to the financial aid email address, or if we feel more comfortable sending a paper copy, you can send it to the financial aid office (I believe the address should be online somewhere).

salamanders

Postby salamanders » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:45 pm

What sort of supporting information did successful appeals folks send? Just offers from other schools?

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:39 pm

salamanders wrote:What sort of supporting information did successful appeals folks send? Just offers from other schools?

Wasn't successful, at least not yet, but this is all I included. Not sure what else could be relevant, short of a large change in your financial situation that you could document.

crooked

Postby crooked » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 pm

cjcregg wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:

yep.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. At least you didn't have to hang out in limbo for long.

Is this common/heard of? Can anyone else speak about their appeal timeline? I'm really ready for my application cycle to be over.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 pm

crooked wrote:Is this common/heard of? Can anyone else speak about their appeal timeline? I'm really ready for my application cycle to be over.

I sent mine at night and got shot down the next day.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:24 am

Unagi wrote:Just submitted my finaid appeal.

I was successful in my appeal and they took about 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:28 am

Elendil wrote:
Unagi wrote:Just submitted my finaid appeal.

I was successful in my appeal and they took about 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

Well, you are also the father of Isildur so your results aren't likely typical.

rotaxkarter

Postby rotaxkarter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:25 am

Just withdrew guys. For those that have already committed to NYU, Congrats!

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 am

Has anyone negotiated an extension for scholarship offers? The day they gave me is the next business day after the ASW. That really doesn't work too well...

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Got the email this morning letting me know by NetID and UniID are ready, but I keep getting this when go to obtain it: "Your Net ID and University ID is not created yet."

This happen to anyone else?

theaether

Postby theaether » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 pm

vincanity1 wrote:Got the email this morning letting me know by NetID and UniID are ready, but I keep getting this when go to obtain it: "Your Net ID and University ID is not created yet."

I got that email too, but I think on the site it clarifies that it's up to 72 hours before the IDs are generated

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:45 pm

theaether wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:Got the email this morning letting me know by NetID and UniID are ready, but I keep getting this when go to obtain it: "Your Net ID and University ID is not created yet."

I got that email too, but I think on the site it clarifies that it's up to 72 hours before the IDs are generated

Haha my bad. Reading comprehension fail on my part.

lawhopeful2012

Postby lawhopeful2012 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:42 pm

just got my fin aid - 0. kinda shocked. would have thought they would offer comparable amounts to penn and chicago.

how do you submit your appeal?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:45 pm

lawhopeful2012 wrote:just got my fin aid - 0. kinda shocked. would have thought they would offer comparable amounts to penn and chicago.

how do you submit your appeal?

Send them an email letting them know you'd like to appeal the decision. They'll then open up a tab on FAAPS to file a formal appeal.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:53 pm

If I accept my NYU scholarship offer, am I required to withdraw all other applications for which I have received a decision? I was under the impression that I do but I haven't been able to find where I originally saw that...

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Elendil wrote:If I accept my NYU scholarship offer, am I required to withdraw all other applications for which I have received a decision? I was under the impression that I do but I haven't been able to find where I originally saw that...

You have to withdraw from any school that has accepted you, but you can stay on waitlists. It's on some form you sign or whatever before you submit your deposit if I'm remembering correctly.

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:17 am

Not sure if this has been covered before here, but I"m applying to NYU next cycle and it's really my dream school. Visited last weekend and LOVED it. My numbers are 3.83 / 170 (166 first time). They say they average but if I have a compelling reason for discounting the lower score, do you think I'd get in?

And should I ED if I can't pay for the school without substantial scholarships? LSP puts me at 40-50% with a 170

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:48 am

lsacqueen wrote:Not sure if this has been covered before here, but I"m applying to NYU next cycle and it's really my dream school. Visited last weekend and LOVED it. My numbers are 3.83 / 170 (166 first time). They say they average but if I have a compelling reason for discounting the lower score, do you think I'd get in?

And should I ED if I can't pay for the school without substantial scholarships? LSP puts me at 40-50% with a 170

I think you have a pretty good shot RD. However, I don't think EDing with your numbers would be a bad idea. I think you are just a little low for scholarship money. But who knows next year might be different since there will presumably be even less applicants. I think I was right on the bubble of getting money but I have one point higher on my GPA and only one LSAT score. I guess it will be up to you to make that decision. If it were me, I would RD then use the money I got from MVPB-which you are likely to get-to try to negotiate.

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:58 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:Not sure if this has been covered before here, but I"m applying to NYU next cycle and it's really my dream school. Visited last weekend and LOVED it. My numbers are 3.83 / 170 (166 first time). They say they average but if I have a compelling reason for discounting the lower score, do you think I'd get in?

I think you have a pretty good shot RD. However, I don't think EDing with your numbers would be a bad idea. I think you are just a little low for scholarship money. But who knows next year might be different since there will presumably be even less applicants. I think I was right on the bubble of getting money but I have one point higher on my GPA and only one LSAT score. I guess it will be up to you to make that decision. If it were me, I would RD then use the money I got from MVPB-which you are likely to get-to try to negotiate.

Yeah, sounds about right. Do you think the first LSAT will lead them to ding me? Are you going to NYU, MR? - how much $$ did you get?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:05 am

lsacqueen wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

Yeah, sounds about right. Do you think the first LSAT will lead them to ding me? Are you going to NYU, MR? - how much $$ did you get?

That is very difficult to say. There are people with your scores that have not gotten in to NYU and there are some that have. So if you get dinged I don't know whether or not it will be because of your LSATs. That would be a reason to ED if you just can't see yourself going anywhere else though. I think MVPB schools are awesome and you will be in a great position for money there and at places like Duke, NU and Cornell. I just don't know if I could give up that chance.

I got $37,500 plus Im gonna sell my car so I will contribute somewhere around $50,000 myself-plus hopefully some 2L summer money. That was enough for me to tell MVPB to go kick rocks because I loved NYU, NYC, the village what have you. If I had to pay sticker price I would have decided to go to a lower ranked school.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”