In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Perdevise wrote:Is that a fact? I know YHS are all-need, but I was under the impression that other schools had some, since they all ask for NeedAccess and FAFSA.

That's largely a myth. They may say that they do, and if they do it's to a very small group of individuals.

Filling out FAFSA is essentially what you need to do to get the nice 75k in loans per year.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Here's a compilation of housing information for everyone.

It's my impression that the earliest you can move into the apartments at NYU is August 24th, and you are charged 100-200 for the days of orientation. http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... /index.htm I was hoping that we would be able to move in the beginning of August or something.

And, it appears as if the cheapest apartments are the 2-3 bedroom ones (1300-1500 dollars) in D'ag. http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... /index.htm

The cheapest in Mercer look like 2 bedroom apartments for 1500-1600. http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... /index.htm

Rates include utilities:
local telephone, NYU Cable TV, ResNet (high-speed wireless and data capability) and utility charges (Heat/Air Conditioning (seasonally), Water, Gas, Electricity). Each bedroom has a telephone, ResNet and NYU Cable TV connection.

And this is what the apartments are pre-furnished with (at least in D'ag -- slight difference at Mercer):
All apartments have kitchens (stove, oven, refrigerator) and are furnished with beds (type L1 apartments are furnished with full size beds, type L2 apartments used for family housing accommodations are furnished with full size beds; all others are furnished with extra-long single beds), drawer space, desk, chair and dining table with chairs. Each apartment is centrally air-conditioned and has wall-to-wall carpeting in the bedroom(s). Lamps, linens, cookware, kitchen utensils, and wastebaskets are not provided.

forthewin

Postby forthewin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:42 pm

gloriouscause wrote:Anybody else already sign up for the reception in LA?

I have! (Long time lurker, first time poster). DLS 12/13, admittance call 12/14, so I've been ecstatic the past couple days! Can't wait to meet other admitted students!

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Here's a compilation of housing information for everyone.

It's my impression that the earliest you can move into the apartments at NYU is August 24th, and you are charged 100-200 for the days of orientation. http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... /index.htm I was hoping that we would be able to move in the beginning of August or something.

And, it appears as if the cheapest apartments are the 2-3 bedroom ones (1300-1500 dollars) in D'ag. http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... /index.htm

The cheapest in Mercer look like 2 bedroom apartments for 1500-1600. http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... /index.htm

Rates include utilities:
local telephone, NYU Cable TV, ResNet (high-speed wireless and data capability) and utility charges (Heat/Air Conditioning (seasonally), Water, Gas, Electricity). Each bedroom has a telephone, ResNet and NYU Cable TV connection.

And this is what the apartments are pre-furnished with (at least in D'ag -- slight difference at Mercer):
All apartments have kitchens (stove, oven, refrigerator) and are furnished with beds (type L1 apartments are furnished with full size beds, type L2 apartments used for family housing accommodations are furnished with full size beds; all others are furnished with extra-long single beds), drawer space, desk, chair and dining table with chairs. Each apartment is centrally air-conditioned and has wall-to-wall carpeting in the bedroom(s). Lamps, linens, cookware, kitchen utensils, and wastebaskets are not provided.

This is great! I'm stealing it for the first post.

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Anyone else signed up for the DC reception?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:51 pm

snehpets wrote:This is great! I'm stealing it for the first post.

:mrgreen:

Some more useful information I got from my friend a while back:

You get four requests for an apartment: e.g., D'ag studio, D'ag 2br, etc, etc.

The studios are extremely popular, so chances of getting those are rather low, especially as a 1L.

D'ag is roughly half the size of Mercer, so you have a higher chance of being placed into Mercer.

poe

Postby poe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:52 pm

I just signed up for the SF reception!

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
snehpets wrote:This is great! I'm stealing it for the first post.

:mrgreen:

Some more useful information I got from my friend a while back:

You get four requests for an apartment: e.g., D'ag studio, D'ag 2br, etc, etc.

The studios are extremely popular, so chances of getting those are rather low, especially as a 1L.

D'ag is roughly half the size of Mercer, so you have a higher chance of being placed into Mercer.

That is so helpful to know already. Thanks for sharing!!

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Gonna tag myself in here, despite the fact that I might have to take UVA at 90k or NYU at sticker for debt's sake. Here's to hoping the decision is made for me.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:25 pm

AHHH i look away from my phone for TWO SECONDS and I finally get the call...

not going to have that many chances in my life to get a call like that, but hey still got it!!!! :D

amc987

Postby amc987 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Take Two wrote:AHHH i look away from my phone for TWO SECONDS and I finally get the call...

not going to have that many chances in my life to get a call like that, but hey still got it!!!! :D

Yay, congrats!!!

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Thank you much, not going to lie pretty darn excited!!

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Haha I finally got it too. So awkward feigning surprise.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:19 pm

snehpets wrote:Haha I finally got it too. So awkward feigning surprise.

I was going to say +1 but that doesn't quite cover it. So, +several.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:23 pm

haha i suppose maybe its good I missed it, I rehearsed in my head what I would say but I cant be sure what would actually come out!

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Take Two wrote:

haha i suppose maybe its good I missed it, I rehearsed in my head what I would say but I cant be sure what would actually come out!

When I got the call, I was in the middle of reading something on the ASW. They were explaining that if I attempt to log on, I would be able to change my password. I was like, "uh, thanks? I mean, yeah great!"

I wonder what it would have been like if I did the right thing and just waited for the call. Oh well, too stressful.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:36 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
Take Two wrote:

When I got the call, I was in the middle of reading something on the ASW. They were explaining that if I attempt to log on, I would be able to change my password. I was like, "uh, thanks? I mean, yeah great!"

I wonder what it would have been like if I did the right thing and just waited for the call. Oh well, too stressful.

I was in a meeting. I hadn't been feverishly updating my status checker and always get calls from 212 area codes, so I just ignored it. FWIW, the person who left the message had it almost perfectly transcribed by (the extremely terrible) Google Voice translator. Fantastically articulate... could go into radio if this career doesn't work out!

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Yeah I just missed the call too--on the phone for work when it came in. I wonder what their strikeout rate is with these. Regardless the person who left the vmail was SUPER excited and pleasant--saving that message forever. :)

Ever figure out what the method for order of calls was? I'm in Jersey last name T for what it's worth...

Side note--anyone else get that BC Global Engagement email 3 times in ten mins? I might have to turn off email notifications on my phone. lol.
Last edited by jetissent on Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:43 pm

jetissent wrote:Yeah I just missed the call too--on the phone for work when it came in. I wonder what their strikeout rate is with these. Regardless the person who left the vmail was SUPER excited and pleasant--saving that message forever. :)

Ever figure out what the method for order of calls was? I'm in Jersey last name T for what it's worth...

I'm really thinking it is alphabetical. I got the call Mon. at around 4:30, and my last name starts with A. There is nothing special about my application that would make them think "we must call this girl first!" so I'm thinking it is my last name...

addy11

Postby addy11 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
jetissent wrote:Yeah I just missed the call too--on the phone for work when it came in. I wonder what their strikeout rate is with these. Regardless the person who left the vmail was SUPER excited and pleasant--saving that message forever. :)

I'm really thinking it is alphabetical. I got the call Mon. at around 4:30, and my last name starts with A. There is nothing special about my application that would make them think "we must call this girl first!" so I'm thinking it is my last name...

My last name starts with a B and I was at 4:08.

poe

Postby poe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:

+1

I was called Monday and my last name is near the beginning of the alphabet too.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:49 pm

addy11 wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:

My last name starts with a B and I was at 4:08.

Well there we go! We have three people who fit the baseless hypothesis. If we repeat it several times over in the admissions thread and vaguely allude to the "evidence" we saw once it'll become "conventional TLS wisdom" for cycles to come! Everyone on board!? :)

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:50 pm

jetissent wrote:
Well there we go! We have three people who fit the baseless hypothesis. If we repeat it several times over in the admissions thread and vaguely allude to the "evidence" we saw once it'll become "conventional TLS wisdom" for cycles to come! Everyone on board!? :)

Look at us, lawyering already. NYU would be so proud.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:51 pm

poe wrote:I was called Monday and my last name is near the beginning of the alphabet too.

S. DLS Tuesday, call about an hour ago.

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Here's a compilation of housing information for everyone.

Rates include utilities:

Thanks for that depressing, depressing information. :roll: I'm paying 875/mo right now for 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms all to myself here in Phoenix. Nearly double that for my own tiny bedroom and a shared bathroom/"kitchen" is going to be... an adjustment. One that I was already aware I'd be making, sure, but it's depressing all the same.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:12 pm

zworykin wrote:Thanks for that depressing, depressing information. :roll: I'm paying 875/mo right now for 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms all to myself here in Phoenix. Nearly double that for my own tiny bedroom and a shared bathroom/"kitchen" is going to be... an adjustment. One that I was already aware I'd be making, sure, but it's depressing all the same.

Welcome to New York!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”