In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

bogm2012

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Postby bogm2012 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Unagi wrote:Does anyone know a good and not very expensive hotel near NYU?
I'm going to the RTK interview, so the School is offering me a hotel for 3 nights. However, I still need to find a room because I'll stay in NYC 2 extra nights. I already checked the hotel NYU booked to see how much I would have to pay for the extra nights but it's very expensive for me.
Is it possible to stay with students? How can we do that?
And which is the best way to go from JFK to NYU?
Thanks!!

There are those pod hotels, but I think they still run you around $80 and are in Midtown. You could always try airbnb!

As for JFK - NYU, you can take the Air Train for $5 and then take the A train towards Manhattan for another $2.25, and that will drop you at West 4th, which is very close to NYU Law. Alternatively you could take the shuttle bus for $10 (http://www.nyairportservice.com/ or Googled equivalent) to Penn Station, and then take the A/C/E downtown to West 4th, or the downtown 1 train to Christopher Street.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:13 pm

bogm2012 wrote:
Unagi wrote:Does anyone know a good and not very expensive hotel near NYU?
I'm going to the RTK interview, so the School is offering me a hotel for 3 nights. However, I still need to find a room because I'll stay in NYC 2 extra nights. I already checked the hotel NYU booked to see how much I would have to pay for the extra nights but it's very expensive for me.
Is it possible to stay with students? How can we do that?
And which is the best way to go from JFK to NYU?
Thanks!!

There are those pod hotels, but I think they still run you around $80 and are in Midtown. You could always try airbnb!

As for JFK - NYU, you can take the Air Train for $5 and then take the A train towards Manhattan for another $2.25, and that will drop you at West 4th, which is very close to NYU Law. Alternatively you could take the shuttle bus for $10 (http://www.nyairportservice.com/ or Googled equivalent) to Penn Station, and then take the A/C/E downtown to West 4th, or the downtown 1 train to Christopher Street.

Thanks!!

crooked

Postby crooked » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:23 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:All great recommendations - thank you guys. I'll have to see if I can fit all of that into two days.

Most of all, you need to go to 53rd and 6th. You'll thank me later.

Now THAT is the sort of thing I am definitely looking for. I have a low-key obsession with quality cheap food (holes in the walls, neighborhood gems, places with little italian/mexican grandmothers still hand making the pasta/tortillas)

Mamouns. You want to go to there.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:27 pm

TurkDorian wrote:Has anyone who applied for one of the named scholarships, and got the rejection letter last week heard back on a regular scholarship or financial aid yet?

I'm not entirely sure how many people are in this boat. I, personally, am one of those named-scholly rejects (sad) and have not yet heard about regular financial aid. I'm getting a bit impatient but I also applied ED so I'm not expecting any money anyway. Guess I'd rather just get the bad news sooner rather than later

crooked

Postby crooked » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Has anyone who was not in the first batch of financial aid e-mails heard back? I didn't get my Need Access in until the day those e-mails came out, so obviously I didn't hear anything then, but I'm wondering how long it's going to be before the rest of us (procrastinators?) hear.

cjcregg

Postby cjcregg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:48 pm

long time lurker. just saying hello!

yansky22

Postby yansky22 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:34 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
TurkDorian wrote:Has anyone who applied for one of the named scholarships, and got the rejection letter last week heard back on a regular scholarship or financial aid yet?

I'm not entirely sure how many people are in this boat. I, personally, am one of those named-scholly rejects (sad) and have not yet heard about regular financial aid. I'm getting a bit impatient but I also applied ED so I'm not expecting any money anyway. Guess I'd rather just get the bad news sooner rather than later

I am in this boat as well. It's an immensely frustrating boat.

TurkDorian

Postby TurkDorian » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:22 am

yansky22 wrote:
xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:

I am in this boat as well. It's an immensely frustrating boat.

The only boat I want is a boat load of cash so I can afford nyu. Not getting RTK isn't surprising, but I wish I could just find out if I should expect anything.

teacher10456

Postby teacher10456 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:07 pm

In case anyone is still wondering for people who did not receive any word on the named scholarships, I called the office and they said that all finalists have been notified, they just must not have sent out all of the rejection emails yet. I thought I would post because I know a small part of me was still holding out hope that I might be in the running since I had not received an outright rejection... but alas, it was not meant to be.

Now I guess I am in that small group of people still waiting to hear about if I have been given any aid at all. When I gave my decision date (December) and the fact that I had filled out FAFSA and Need Access over a month ago, the guy in admissions said I should have gotten my package already and that I should call financial aid. Unfortunately when I got off the phone with him it was 4:01, so the financial aid office had already stopped taking calls for the day.

mnkybtlr

Postby mnkybtlr » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:54 am

I took the previous poster's idea and called financial aid this morning asking about the status of my financial aid app. As a big scholarship applicant, I clearly missed the first round of notifications. I was told that the next round would be in "early April," even though I'd applied for aid in early February. I also asked about what the deadline for accepting one of those scholarships would be and was told it would probably be "early to mid May." That seems odd to me given that their school deposit deadline is May 4, but it's what I was told. Thought some of you other big scholly applicants would like to know.

BaseballT

Postby BaseballT » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:17 am

mnkybtlr wrote:I took the previous poster's idea and called financial aid this morning asking about the status of my financial aid app. As a big scholarship applicant, I clearly missed the first round of notifications. I was told that the next round would be in "early April," even though I'd applied for aid in early February. I also asked about what the deadline for accepting one of those scholarships would be and was told it would probably be "early to mid May." That seems odd to me given that their school deposit deadline is May 4, but it's what I was told. Thought some of you other big scholly applicants would like to know.

I wonder if this might also apply to those who received a financial aid decision and appealed it?

Tony Perkis

Postby Tony Perkis » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:01 pm

To those interviewing for the AnBryce: does anyone know when we can expect decisions after the interviews? Obviously some schools have deposit deadlines in early April and I'm wondering how long of an extension I'll need to ask for...

Also, has anyone received an email regarding the identities of the interview panelists?

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Tony Perkis wrote:To those interviewing for the AnBryce: does anyone know when we can expect decisions after the interviews? Obviously some schools have deposit deadlines in early April and I'm wondering how long of an extension I'll need to ask for...

Also, has anyone received an email regarding the identities of the interview panelists?

Nope to your second question. Where are you interviewing?

thelong

Postby thelong » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:46 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
Tony Perkis wrote:To those interviewing for the AnBryce: does anyone know when we can expect decisions after the interviews? Obviously some schools have deposit deadlines in early April and I'm wondering how long of an extension I'll need to ask for...

Nope to your second question. Where are you interviewing?

Same boat. I'd like to know who the panel is so I can at least look them up and have a little familiarity before going into the firing squad.

Anyway, my understanding is you should get a phone call decision the following week and you have three? days to accept.

I'm guessing the first round of offers will go out early in the week and a second round of offers/rejections at the end of the week?

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:56 pm

mnkybtlr wrote:I took the previous poster's idea and called financial aid this morning asking about the status of my financial aid app. As a big scholarship applicant, I clearly missed the first round of notifications. I was told that the next round would be in "early April," even though I'd applied for aid in early February. I also asked about what the deadline for accepting one of those scholarships would be and was told it would probably be "early to mid May." That seems odd to me given that their school deposit deadline is May 4, but it's what I was told. Thought some of you other big scholly applicants would like to know.

Wow, that's extremely frustrating! Fortunately I'm an EDer, so other than having to wait longer this is just a minor inconvenience. But how are RDers supposed to make decisions for deposit deadlines in April if they're not getting an offer until early April? Seems like poor logic.

jellybean8

Postby jellybean8 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Do we know the night schedule for ASW?

Is Thursday's "night out" the law revue? In which case Friday night is nothing? (just a little confused and seeing if it's possible to fit in NY friends those days)

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Not sure, though you can obviously do your own thing either night.

Is the law revue performance free for ASW students?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:06 am

Bronck wrote:Not sure, though you can obviously do your own thing either night.

Is the law revue performance free for ASW students?

Yep, they bought us tickets.

annyong

Postby annyong » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Finally got details emailed to me for the AnBryce Interview, I'm excited about being in DC and NY, but is anyone else a little intimidated by the schedule?

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:13 pm

annyong wrote:Finally got details emailed to me for the AnBryce Interview, I'm excited about being in DC and NY, but is anyone else a little intimidated by the schedule?

It's definitely a lot. Luckily, the interviews are early on and we can get over that stress before ASD

thelong

Postby thelong » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:14 pm

annyong wrote:Finally got details emailed to me for the AnBryce Interview, I'm excited about being in DC and NY, but is anyone else a little intimidated by the schedule?

I'm still waiting for these details. Hopefully that means they're coming soon.

annyong

Postby annyong » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:16 pm

vincanity1 wrote:

It's definitely a lot. Luckily, the interviews are early on and we can get over that stress before ASD

I feel like we're actually going to be missing a lot of ASD, isn't it happening both Thursday and Friday, or is most stuff on Friday?

I wonder what we're supposed to do between our interview time and when we leave on the train? Sit around in the Supreme Court? (Not the worst thing to complain about)
Last edited by annyong on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:16 pm

thelong wrote:

Check your spam. I'm sure you'll get it in a few mins. All he had to change was the interview time for each person.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:17 pm

annyong wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

I feel like we're actually going to be missing a lot of ASD, but then I haven't really looked at the full schedule so I don't know what else is planned. I wonder what we're supposed to do between our interview time and when we leave on the train? Sit around in the Supreme Court? (Not the worst thing to complain about)

I'm really hoping we'll get to take some kind of tour. I realllyyyyyyy want to see the basketball court

thelong

Postby thelong » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:19 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
thelong wrote:

Check your spam. I'm sure you'll get it in a few mins. All he had to change was the interview time for each person.

Are you both interviewing in DC?

Maybe NYC interview info hasn't gone out yet. I'll shoot an e-mail to them if I haven't gotten any info on monday.

At least my tickets are booked and I'm ready to go. I'd just feel a little more at ease knowing who my interviewers are and the exact schedule.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”