In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

bogm2012

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Postby bogm2012 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:00 am

thsmthcrmnl wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Native New Yorkers/East coasters: I'm arriving to ASW two days early to get more familiar with the idea of possibly living in NYC for the next three years. I haven't been since a two day stint in high school. What are the must see's?

Met, Highline, Staten Island Ferry or Brooklyn Bridge Park at night, Grand Central, Central Park

This person got it.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 am

dudedudedude wrote:1Ls have received the Furman in the past and there are incoming people being considered for it this year. I don't know how many 2Ls receive it, but my "penultimate round" finalist email says that they intend to give out at most 4 offers. Someone asked who the award is going to...I'm not sure about every person being considered, but I know that several people have Ph.D.'s in closely aligned disciplines and some have already done significant research on legal topics.

I know someone who was a finalist when applying (three years ago), but he didn't get it. He went to Yale.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:05 am

mnkybtlr wrote:It really depends what kind of stuff you're into. I'd definitely suggest you check out the Strand, and a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is pretty fantastic. I'd also set aside a bit of time to wander through Central Park a bit. Other than those, I think the only thing I'd recommend to anyone coming to NYC for the first time (or the first in a long time) would be to walk through Times Square, ideally as the sun is setting so you get to see it during the day and at night. You'll spend the next three years avoiding the place, but it gives you a nice sense of epic scale.

TITCR :D

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:32 am

thsmthcrmnl wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Native New Yorkers/East coasters: I'm arriving to ASW two days early to get more familiar with the idea of possibly living in NYC for the next three years. I haven't been since a two day stint in high school. What are the must see's?

Met, Highline, Staten Island Ferry or Brooklyn Bridge Park at night, Grand Central, Central Park

Definitely this. Also, I would recommend checking out the Village in a variety of ways (brunch, bars, Washing Square Park, etc.) since it's likely you'll spend a lot of your time in the area.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:39 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
thsmthcrmnl wrote:

Definitely this. Also, I would recommend checking out the Village in a variety of ways (brunch, bars, Washing Square Park, etc.) since it's likely you'll spend a lot of your time in the area.

i would also recommend the natural history museum, maybe even the historical society - two amazing museums and near the park

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 pm

izy223 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
thsmthcrmnl wrote:

i would also recommend the natural history museum, maybe even the historical society - two amazing museums and near the park

Oh, man, I love that place. Makes me feel like a kid, when I used to go there all the time.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 pm

All great recommendations - thank you guys. I'll have to see if I can fit all of that into two days.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:All great recommendations - thank you guys. I'll have to see if I can fit all of that into two days.

Most of all, you need to go to 53rd and 6th. You'll thank me later.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:All great recommendations - thank you guys. I'll have to see if I can fit all of that into two days.

White sauceeeeee. Nom.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:

Now THAT is the sort of thing I am definitely looking for. I have a low-key obsession with quality cheap food (holes in the walls, neighborhood gems, places with little italian/mexican grandmothers still hand making the pasta/tortillas)

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:24 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:

CHICKEN AND RICE GUY! NOMS!

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:38 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:

Now THAT is the sort of thing I am definitely looking for. I have a low-key obsession with quality cheap food (holes in the walls, neighborhood gems, places with little italian/mexican grandmothers still hand making the pasta/tortillas)

If you feel like going up near Columbia for any reason, there's a terrific Mexican place on Amsterdam Ave up near 107th/108th called Taqueria Y Fonda La Mexicana that I can't recommend enough. But there's really not much to do up there, it's a pretty residential area, so I wouldn't recommend making a trip out of it.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
If you feel like going up near Columbia for any reason, there's a terrific Mexican place on Amsterdam Ave up near 107th/108th called Taqueria Y Fonda La Mexicana that I can't recommend enough. But there's really not much to do up there, it's a pretty residential area, so I wouldn't recommend making a trip out of it.

IBthis turns into an argument about whether NY has real Mexican ;)

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:41 pm

If you're into geeky stuff at all, a great resource that I use is nerdyorkcity.com. They have a list of events, restaurants, and cultural centers that may prove interesting.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:43 pm

ssteiner wrote:If you're into geeky stuff at all, a great resource that I use is nerdyorkcity.com. They have a list of events, restaurants, and cultural centers that may prove interesting.

As a self-proclaimed nerd, this interests me.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:44 pm

ssteiner wrote:If you're into geeky stuff at all, a great resource that I use is nerdyorkcity.com. They have a list of events, restaurants, and cultural centers that may prove interesting.

Holy awesome, thanks.

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:45 pm

I definitely recommend keeping an eye on them if you're a fellow geek. They're in the process of updating their site now so it's a bit clunky, but they've introduced me to a lot of great restaurants and helped me find out about tons of geeky events going on in the city. They're fantastic.

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:50 pm

snehpets wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:

IBthis turns into an argument about whether NY has real Mexican ;)

The best Mexican I've ever had in NYC after being here for 4 years is at Zaratogas on 13th and B (I think? around there). It's a tiny mexican grocery store and a woman also makes food behind the counter. It is soooo good definitely go!

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Food/sights are getting me super excited for ASW. Can't wait.

bk641

Postby bk641 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:58 pm

i didn't realise the comedy cellar and mahmoun's felafel were so close to van hall. this is awesome. awesome.

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:56 pm

You guys should also hunt down the waffle truck...location changes every day, but there are some permanent carts by Central Park. Their waffles are the most delicious things ever.

http://www.wafelsanddinges.com/

nine-and-fifty

Postby nine-and-fifty » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks a lot for pointing this out.

TurkDorian

Postby TurkDorian » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:39 am

Has anyone who applied for one of the named scholarships, and got the rejection letter last week heard back on a regular scholarship or financial aid yet?

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:07 am

Does anyone know a good and not very expensive hotel near NYU?
I'm going to the RTK interview, so the School is offering me a hotel for 3 nights. However, I still need to find a room because I'll stay in NYC 2 extra nights. I already checked the hotel NYU booked to see how much I would have to pay for the extra nights but it's very expensive for me.
Is it possible to stay with students? How can we do that?
And which is the best way to go from JFK to NYU?
Thanks!!
Last edited by Unagi on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:28 am

Unagi wrote:Does anyone know a good and not very expensive hotel near NYU?
I'm going to the RTK interview, but I still need to find a room because I'll stay 2 extra nights.
Is it possible to stay with students? How can we do that?
And which is the best way to go from JFK to NYU?
Thanks!!

PM'ed

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”