In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

ssteiner

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Postby ssteiner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Just got an email back about my scholarship deadline extension appeal. The language is slightly confusing:

"Thank you for your email. Your request for possible deadline extension is under review. You will receive a formal decision prior to your deadline.

Please bear in mind that, there is a chance that the appeals decision may be after your deadline to accept or decline your offer, so we will encourage you to make a decision based off of the information that you have received. If you do not accept the award, by your deadline, your offer will be forfeited."

The first paragraph and second paragraph, unless I'm reading this incorrectly, have conflicting information.

bogm2012

Postby bogm2012 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:25 pm

OK, didn't someone call last week and financial aid told them that by early last week all named scholarship winners would know whether they'd been chosen?

I applied for the RTK and have heard nothing. I just called financial aid and they are in a staff meeting until the end of the day.

What gives?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:33 pm

ssteiner wrote:Just got an email back about my scholarship deadline extension appeal. The language is slightly confusing:

"Thank you for your email. Your request for possible deadline extension is under review. You will receive a formal decision prior to your deadline.

Please bear in mind that, there is a chance that the appeals decision may be after your deadline to accept or decline your offer, so we will encourage you to make a decision based off of the information that you have received. If you do not accept the award, by your deadline, your offer will be forfeited."

The first paragraph and second paragraph, unless I'm reading this incorrectly, have conflicting information.

I think the paragraphs are talking about completely separate things.

1 talks about the deadline extension -- you will receive the decision before the deadline.
2 talks about your financial aid appeal (assuming you had one, since this is a generic email) and how the decision on that may not come until after the initial 6 April deadline.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:36 pm

bogm2012 wrote:OK, didn't someone call last week and financial aid told them that by early last week all named scholarship winners would know whether they'd been chosen?

I applied for the RTK and have heard nothing. I just called financial aid and they are in a staff meeting until the end of the day.

What gives?

That was me. And it's strange you haven't heard. I received an email last Thursday saying that all scholarship interview recipients have officially been notified, and that I wasn't one of them.

In case you're curious, here was the exact wording of the email:

"Thank you for your application to our scholarship programs. We have concluded contacting finalists for the AnBryce Scholarship, Bickel & Brewer Scholarship, Furman Academic Scholarship Program, Institute for International Law and Justice Scholarship, Leadership Program in Law and Business, and the Root-Tilden-Kern Scholarship. Unfortunately, you were not selected as a finalist. Please note that the process is very competitive, and we are fortunate to have received an overwhelming interest in these scholarship programs."

bogm2012

Postby bogm2012 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:39 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
bogm2012 wrote:OK, didn't someone call last week and financial aid told them that by early last week all named scholarship winners would know whether they'd been chosen?

What gives?

That was me. And it's strange you haven't heard. I received an email last Thursday saying that all scholarship interview recipients have officially been notified, and that I wasn't one of them.

"Thank you for your application to our scholarship programs. We have concluded contacting finalists for the AnBryce Scholarship, Bickel & Brewer Scholarship, Furman Academic Scholarship Program, Institute for International Law and Justice Scholarship, Leadership Program in Law and Business, and the Root-Tilden-Kern Scholarship. Unfortunately, you were not selected as a finalist. Please note that the process is very competitive, and we are fortunate to have received an overwhelming interest in these scholarship programs."

Very odd indeed. Time to check the ol' spam folder.

sailboat

Postby sailboat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:55 pm

What gives?

But apparently they were also making calls on Thursday:

kleenbean88 wrote:I got an RTK interview by phone call around 5:30 E time today. Good luck!

Not to say xlawschoolhopefulx is wrong... but I still haven't heard anything, either (spam folder's empty), and I wonder if they aren't still hanging on to a few last-minute interview offers. Of course, in retrospect, I think my RTK app wasn't nearly as strong as it could've been (woo hoo app fatigue) and so I totally wouldn't be surprised if I was dinged and somehow just haven't gotten the bad news yet.

bogm2012

Postby bogm2012 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 pm

sailboat wrote:

What gives?

But apparently they were also making calls on Thursday:

kleenbean88 wrote:I got an RTK interview by phone call around 5:30 E time today. Good luck!

Not to say xlawschoolhopefulx is wrong... but I still haven't heard anything, either (spam folder's empty), and I wonder if they aren't still hanging on to a few last-minute interview offers. Of course, in retrospect, I think my RTK app wasn't nearly as strong as it could've been (woo hoo app fatigue) and so I totally wouldn't be surprised if I was dinged and somehow just haven't gotten the bad news yet.

Same. I read my essay over and was pretty horrified. I totally should have used my PS instead. Oh well, glad I'm not the only one!

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:54 pm

freestallion wrote:Does anyone know anything about the RTK interview? What it's like, what questions they might ask, etc...? I'm really nervous about it! It sounds super intimidating but I can't find any info online about it.

I think we'll receive an email from a current Root with some tips and a list of common questions... Don't know when :shock:

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Unagi wrote:
freestallion wrote:Does anyone know anything about the RTK interview? What it's like, what questions they might ask, etc...? I'm really nervous about it! It sounds super intimidating but I can't find any info online about it.

I think we'll receive an email from a current Root with some tips and a list of common questions... Don't know when :shock:

Ahh okay, that is good to know. I know they said we'd be contacted by a current scholar but I haven't heard anything yet.

I have to remember that it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't go well... but still, I don't want to sound stupid or nervous in front of a group of highly accomplished lawyers. Haha.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:03 pm

You RTK guys interviewing in NY right before ASW?

bogm2012

Postby bogm2012 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:06 pm

freestallion wrote:I don't want to sound stupid or nervous in front of a group of highly accomplished lawyers. Haha.

I do it all the time ;) Just relax and be yourself!

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 pm

vincanity1 wrote:You RTK guys interviewing in NY right before ASW?

Right after! March 31st!

And Rory Gilmore, if you - in at H - are nervous, imagine how I am!

teacher10456

Postby teacher10456 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:47 pm

What gives?

I posted before and am also still in the same position. I am beginning to question myself and think that I filled out the application wrong or something because I can't imagine why I would have not received an email formally letting me know that I did not get it. It seems like they should have notified everyone now that the interview is less than two weeks away.

At this point I just really would like to receive my financial aid information so I can start making decisions about what to do. Since I want to do PI I was really hoping to get some scholarship money...

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:49 am

Holy crap. This is where we're going to live next year, guys.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:52 am

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:00 am

Wow, those got me pretty excited for next Thursday and Friday. Never been to NYC so I am really looking forward to it.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:57 am

Native New Yorkers/East coasters: I'm arriving to ASW two days early to get more familiar with the idea of possibly living in NYC for the next three years. I haven't been since a two day stint in high school. What are the must see's?

mnkybtlr

Postby mnkybtlr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:24 am

FryBreadPower wrote:Native New Yorkers/East coasters: I'm arriving to ASW two days early to get more familiar with the idea of possibly living in NYC for the next three years. I haven't been since a two day stint in high school. What are the must see's?

It really depends what kind of stuff you're into. I'd definitely suggest you check out the Strand, and a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is pretty fantastic. I'd also set aside a bit of time to wander through Central Park a bit. Other than those, I think the only thing I'd recommend to anyone coming to NYC for the first time (or the first in a long time) would be to walk through Times Square, ideally as the sun is setting so you get to see it during the day and at night. You'll spend the next three years avoiding the place, but it gives you a nice sense of epic scale.

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 am

FryBreadPower wrote:Native New Yorkers/East coasters: I'm arriving to ASW two days early to get more familiar with the idea of possibly living in NYC for the next three years. I haven't been since a two day stint in high school. What are the must see's?

You could always go to the theater (not necessarily in Times Square) if you're into that sort of thing.

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:17 am

Brunch in the west village, happy hour in the east village, agreed with a previous poster on central park and the brooklyn bridge especially because it's been so nice out. You can also see the met and go shopping in soho :)

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 am

Depends on what you're into, as other people have indicated, but generally speaking I would walk around the parks and monuments, see the museums, and eat at as many great restaurants as you can. Manhattan is very walkable in sections, and Brooklyn is a hop away on the L train. If you need restaurant recommendations, I'd be happy to help.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:07 am

If anyone procrastinated booking a hotel for ASW like myself and still needs one (couldn't stay with a student because SO will be with me) I just got a midtown hotel for 150/night. 15 min subway ride to NYU. PM if you want details.

Excited to meet some of you next week!

Edit for clarity: I am offering to share the details of getting the room--not to share the one I booked lol.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:09 am

Met, Highline, Staten Island Ferry or Brooklyn Bridge Park at night, Grand Central, Central Park

pyfgcrl

Postby pyfgcrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:22 am

teacher10456 wrote:

What gives?

I posted before and am also still in the same position. I am beginning to question myself and think that I filled out the application wrong or something because I can't imagine why I would have not received an email formally letting me know that I did not get it. It seems like they should have notified everyone now that the interview is less than two weeks away.

At this point I just really would like to receive my financial aid information so I can start making decisions about what to do. Since I want to do PI I was really hoping to get some scholarship money...

I called yesterday because I'm in the same situation and with wanting to do PI I would really like to know about NYU merit - the only thing the person at admissions would tell me is that she didn't have information about this at this time.

dudedudedude

Postby dudedudedude » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:37 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
kulshan wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
kulshan wrote:Just got an email saying I wasn't selected as a finalist for the Furman.

So did I. wtf NYU? Who is this thing going to?

Also, email also said all named scholarship notifications have gone out.

They don't know what they're missing. If it makes you feel better, I have heard that the Furman typically doesn't get awarded to incoming students. It's usually given to 2Ls after they're already there. :/

P.S. I just withdrew.

Ohhhh. So you apply for the Furman after you've already at the law school? I had absolutely no idea that was done, but it makes sense then why no incoming people would get it.

PS- Looks like your decisions just got a hell of a lot easier! Good for you!

1Ls have received the Furman in the past and there are incoming people being considered for it this year. I don't know how many 2Ls receive it, but my "penultimate round" finalist email says that they intend to give out at most 4 offers. Someone asked who the award is going to...I'm not sure about every person being considered, but I know that several people have Ph.D.'s in closely aligned disciplines and some have already done significant research on legal topics.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”