In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

annyong

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Postby annyong » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:25 am

ssteiner wrote:To people who *have* gotten named scholarship interview requests- did the request come by mail, email, or phone? A friend of mine hasn't heard anything yet and was curious.

AnBryce came by email.

Sorry for the scholarship-dings guys, but Congrats to those of you still picking up interviews!

pyfgcrl

Postby pyfgcrl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:33 pm

steelers2012 wrote:
ArchitectOfPeace wrote:
teacher10456 wrote:I applied to a named scholarship but still have not heard anything back positive or negative. Should I assume I didn't get it? Do they email everyone to let them know if they have not been selected? Just wondering if there is anyone out there with the same situation and maybe they aren't done making offers yet?

I am in the same situation. However, I have no information on where they are in the process. Sort of just lost for now...

I am in the same situation as well and I contacted their financial aid office earlier today to inquire about that. They said they are working on trying to finalize Dean merit scholarship decisions in the next few days and should have them sent out (I believe by email) early next week

Did they say how that working decision relates to telling us we did/didn't get RTK interviews? Seems potentially separate to me.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:49 pm

pyfgcrl wrote:
steelers2012 wrote:
ArchitectOfPeace wrote:
teacher10456 wrote:I applied to a named scholarship but still have not heard anything back positive or negative. Should I assume I didn't get it? Do they email everyone to let them know if they have not been selected? Just wondering if there is anyone out there with the same situation and maybe they aren't done making offers yet?

I am in the same situation. However, I have no information on where they are in the process. Sort of just lost for now...

I am in the same situation as well and I contacted their financial aid office earlier today to inquire about that. They said they are working on trying to finalize Dean merit scholarship decisions in the next few days and should have them sent out (I believe by email) early next week

Did they say how that working decision relates to telling us we did/didn't get RTK interviews? Seems potentially separate to me.

I'm pretty sure if you've received an interview for RTK (or another named scholarship) you won't be getting a scholarship offer in the next round of decisions. Hope that helps!

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Congrats to everyone who's heard back on named scholarships!

Just filed an appeal to extend the acceptance deadline for my merit scholarship. We'll see what they say.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Just filed an appeal. Crossing my fingers.

Were deadline extension requests supposed to be included in the appeal?

Hmm...thinking I'll just call and ask for one.

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:56 pm

General question- I got a 75k offer with 90k if I do PI that second summer. If/when I negotiate with them, which amount should I be using to negotiate? For example, say a school ranked higher than NYU offers me 75k total. Would that be considered an equivalent amount to NYU's offer, or lower?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:09 pm

ssteiner wrote:General question- I got a 75k offer with 90k if I do PI that second summer. If/when I negotiate with them, which amount should I be using to negotiate? For example, say a school ranked higher than NYU offers me 75k total. Would that be considered an equivalent amount to NYU's offer, or lower?

Use the 75k.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:10 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Just filed an appeal. Crossing my fingers.

Were deadline extension requests supposed to be included in the appeal?

Hmm...thinking I'll just call and ask for one.

I did mine separately.

ETA, and got this response back:

Thank you for your email. Your request for possible deadline extension is under review. You will receive a formal decision prior to your deadline.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:19 pm

ssteiner wrote:Congrats to everyone who's heard back on named scholarships!

Just filed an appeal to extend the acceptance deadline for my merit scholarship. We'll see what they say.

whod you send the appeal too? i was looking on the Findlaw and couldnt find where to send it

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:27 pm

izy223 wrote:
ssteiner wrote:Congrats to everyone who's heard back on named scholarships!

whod you send the appeal too? i was looking on the Findlaw and couldnt find where to send it

I sent it to law.finaid@nyu.edu.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Just got approved for my travel stipend! I can finally afford a hotel in NYC.

Even though all of this scholarship talk is fun, the convo needs to start drifting to ASW Redux soon. It's less than two weeks now.

poe

Postby poe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Just got approved for my travel stipend! I can finally afford a hotel in NYC.

Wait - I thought that NYU didn't give out travel stipends? How'd you go about that?

Even though all of this scholarship talk is fun, the convo needs to start drifting to ASW Redux soon. It's less than two weeks now.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:39 pm

poe wrote:Wait - I thought that NYU didn't give out travel stipends? How'd you go about that?

I emailed financial aid and they told me how to inquire and everything. I doubt they advertise very widely but they were very helpful.

kleenbean88

Postby kleenbean88 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Unagi wrote:
ssteiner wrote:To people who *have* gotten named scholarship interview requests- did the request come by mail, email, or phone? A friend of mine hasn't heard anything yet and was curious.

ssteiner, I think most people hear by phone. I got an email, but I don't live in the U.S.

kleenbean88 , CONGRATS!!!

thanks, Unagi! same to you and everyone else in the same boat!

bioengineer

Postby bioengineer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:55 pm

has anyone else not gotten their award yet? when i log into FAAPS it says application in final stage of review dated march 7th....why is it taking so long?! 3.87 and 173 if that matters...didn't apply to any scholarships. admitted on valentine's day so awhile ago.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Still waiting for HLS and CLS, but my genuine excitement for NYU has made it all better. :lol:

So good.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:02 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Still waiting for HLS and CLS, but my genuine excitement for NYU has made it all better. :lol:

So good.

Now that my hope for CLS has faded, I have also been building genuine intrigue in NYU. While I hope you get into HLS/CLS, I have a little hope I will be seeing you at NYU come fall-time.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:39 am

Random question. Are all of the named scholarships only for entering 1L's? Or are any of them open to students after their first year at NYU?

wesleyangrad

Postby wesleyangrad » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:18 pm

Hey guys, quick question - did all of you who received Dean's Scholarships submit both the Need Access form and FAFSA before you heard?

Just finally finished my taxes and the Need Access form, and at the end it said I needed to submit my FAFSA asap as well....I'll do it right now if I have to, but would really rather not take on another giant form today...

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:20 pm

wesleyangrad wrote:Hey guys, quick question - did all of you who received Dean's Scholarships submit both the Need Access form and FAFSA before you heard?

Just finally finished my taxes and the Need Access form, and at the end it said I needed to submit my FAFSA asap as well....I'll do it right now if I have to, but would really rather not take on another giant form today...

You do have to submit both. The FAFSA should take you about five minutes.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:47 pm

wesleyangrad wrote:Hey guys, quick question - did all of you who received Dean's Scholarships submit both the Need Access form and FAFSA before you heard?

I actually got my award amount before I submitted my FAFSA. However, they didn't give me any money, so it's probably best to get them both done asap.

The FAFSA and NeedAccess pretty much have the same information though, so it shouldn't take long.

Another question:

for those who've submitted an award appeal, who did you address it to? director of financial aid?

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:58 pm

bioengineer wrote:has anyone else not gotten their award yet? when i log into FAAPS it says application in final stage of review dated march 7th....why is it taking so long?! 3.87 and 173 if that matters...didn't apply to any scholarships. admitted on valentine's day so awhile ago.

I just check FAAPS and my App Submitted-Under Review-In Final Stage of Review dates were all 3/14. Have they been doing aid in waves or has it just been on a rolling basis?

wesleyangrad

Postby wesleyangrad » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks guys, you were right, that was way easier than Need Access.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:53 am

Does anyone know anything about the RTK interview? What it's like, what questions they might ask, etc...? I'm really nervous about it! It sounds super intimidating but I can't find any info online about it.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 am

So I was in the city and free on Friday so I decided to pop over to NYU and wander around for a bit. I cannot get over how pleasant everyone at this school is. They gave my boyfriend and I pretty much free reign to wander the academic buildings/library and every student we spoke to was eager to express their love of the school. Then we went into D'Agostino Hall to see the dorm space. The security guard (appropriately) wouldn't let us past the first floor lounge but the the friendliest maintenance man (who has apparently worked in the building for 23 years!) asked us if we wanted to see the apartments and roof-top terraces. It was really cool to get a sort of behind the scenes tour from him. He didn't actually open up anyone's rooms but instead took us through a few of the apartments that have been converted to computer spaces/break areas. They all had the original layouts so it was easy to get an idea of the space as a dorm. They are minuscule but that was expected. After seeing them, I am going to request a triple because it seemed like the tiny bit of extra space was worth sharing with another person. That said, the ones I saw were empty so a third person's worth of personal belongings in the space might make it less appealing. But either way, the rooftop areas were incredible--absolutely the highlight of my visit. It's worth going just for the views. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”