In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

Bronck

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Postby Bronck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:58 pm

curiouscat wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:
curiouscat wrote:So basically, if accept my scholarship offer, I have to pull out from everywhere else? That would kind of simplify matters...

:( I don't even know whether the other two schools I'm interested in will have made their decisions by then. I also have an ASW booked for the week after that...

I mentioned this in the Stanford thread but it's more relevant here - as far as I understood, you wouldn't have to withdraw from schools that haven't gotten back to you yet, this would affect only schools that have already accepted you

correct

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:09 pm

curiouscat wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:
curiouscat wrote:So basically, if accept my scholarship offer, I have to pull out from everywhere else? That would kind of simplify matters...

:( I don't even know whether the other two schools I'm interested in will have made their decisions by then. I also have an ASW booked for the week after that...

I mentioned this in the Stanford thread but it's more relevant here - as far as I understood, you wouldn't have to withdraw from schools that haven't gotten back to you yet, this would affect only schools that have already accepted you

Well that quiets my concerns about the potential conflict with H and S (please please let there be a potential conflict :D ). But I have also have a lower ranked school with a big scholarship offer that is holding an ASW a few days after NYU's. Hopefully I can get the deadline extended just by a couple of days.

poe

Postby poe » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm still waiting for Berkeley to start making scholarship offers. I don't know how I can possibly decide before that.

nine-and-fifty

Postby nine-and-fifty » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:33 pm

Bronck wrote:
curiouscat wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

correct

In this case would it be better to accept the offer now, so that you don't have to immediately pull out from any schools that accept you between now and the deadline?

poultry

Postby poultry » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Sorry that I don't check this thread often and get confused as to how your guys found out the grants or scholarship money. Do they send your an email with a link to a site? I got an invitation to a named scholarship but haven't heard their final decision yet. Does it rule me out from considerations of other unnamed scholarship?

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:56 pm

poultry wrote:Sorry that I don't check this thread often and get confused as to how your guys found out the grants or scholarship money. Do they send your an email with a link to a site? I got an invitation to a named scholarship but haven't heard their final decision yet. Does it rule me out from considerations of other unnamed scholarship?

Pretty sure that the consensus is that if you're being considered for a named scholarship, they won't consider you for a dean's scholarship until they make a final decision with the named scholarship.

poultry

Postby poultry » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Many thanks for giving me the peace of mind!

ssteiner wrote:
poultry wrote:Sorry that I don't check this thread often and get confused as to how your guys found out the grants or scholarship money. Do they send your an email with a link to a site? I got an invitation to a named scholarship but haven't heard their final decision yet. Does it rule me out from considerations of other unnamed scholarship?

Pretty sure that the consensus is that if you're being considered for a named scholarship, they won't consider you for a dean's scholarship until they make a final decision with the named scholarship.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:09 pm

nine-and-fifty wrote:
In this case would it be better to accept the offer now, so that you don't have to immediately pull out from any schools that accept you between now and the deadline?

Why would it matter? It's not like things have to happen simultaneously.

If you don't receive better scholarship offers and want to accept NYU's offer, you do so, and then subsequently withdraw from the rest of the schools.

nine-and-fifty

Postby nine-and-fifty » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Bronck wrote:
nine-and-fifty wrote:

Why would it matter? It's not like things have to happen simultaneously.

If you don't receive better scholarship offers and want to accept NYU's offer, you do so, and then subsequently withdraw from the rest of the schools.

Edited. Because I'm an idiot, I asked this in an extremely awkward way (twice). All I want to know is whether you have to withdraw from schools that accept you between submitting your seat deposit and April 6th.
Last edited by nine-and-fifty on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vendetta73

Postby vendetta73 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:59 pm

sn20 wrote:
jetissent wrote:
sn20 wrote:
sn20 wrote:Has anyone successfully had the deadline extended?

Bumpity bump

After I filed my appeal, the confirmation email said if they update the amount they will also give a new deadline. Not exactly what you're asking I know, but at least that means they are open to deciding after the 6th.

I was mainly wondering if anyone had simply asked for more time to consider the initial offer. But the information you provided is useful as well. Thanks!

I just wanted to add to what jetissent said that the email I got when I appealed my award does say that I'll get a new deadline if they decide to increase the award, but it was also clear that a) if they don't increase the award, the deadline remains April 6 and therefore b) if I haven't accepted (and withdrawn from all other schools I've been admitted to) by April 6 and they decide after that date not to update my award, I forfeit my original award. So even if you're appealing your award, it might still be worth asking for an extension on the deadline unless you're absolutely sure you won't enroll unless they increase your aid, or absolutely sure you will whether they do or not.

pg2012

Postby pg2012 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 pm

I haven't received a scholarship interview invite (RTK), but I also haven't received an email or letter saying if I will or will not receive some other sort of aid. Has everyone received these emails that allow you to login and check your award? I am starting to think this means they aren't offering anything, but I saw some people mentioned that they'd received an email and logged in to find they $0... which has not yet happened to me. I'm slightly confused about where I stand. I was accepted in the first wave of non-EA admits and my financial aid forms are all complete. Any insights?

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm

pg2012 wrote:I haven't received a scholarship interview invite (RTK), but I also haven't received an email or letter saying if I will or will not receive some other sort of aid. Has everyone received these emails that allow you to login and check your award? I am starting to think this means they aren't offering anything, but I saw some people mentioned that they'd received an email and logged in to find they $0... which has not yet happened to me. I'm slightly confused about where I stand. I was accepted in the first wave of non-EA admits and my financial aid forms are all complete. Any insights?

Sounds like the scholarship committee is still working on sending out invitations for interviews. As soon as they've notified everyone, they are going to send the list of non-interviewees over to financial aid. Once financial aid gets this list, they are free to release offers to all of us who applied for RTK but did not get an interview. Not only has RTK not released this info yet, but there's also a problem with the financial aid office's computer system, so another round of offers are not likely to go out until the end of this week or beginning of next, since they have to fix whatever the problem is. Good luck!

sfreuden

Postby sfreuden » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:29 pm

vendetta73 wrote:
sn20 wrote:
jetissent wrote:
After I filed my appeal, the confirmation email said if they update the amount they will also give a new deadline. Not exactly what you're asking I know, but at least that means they are open to deciding after the 6th.

I was mainly wondering if anyone had simply asked for more time to consider the initial offer. But the information you provided is useful as well. Thanks!

I just wanted to add to what jetissent said that the email I got when I appealed my award does say that I'll get a new deadline if they decide to increase the award, but it was also clear that a) if they don't increase the award, the deadline remains April 6 and therefore b) if I haven't accepted (and withdrawn from all other schools I've been admitted to) by April 6 and they decide after that date not to update my award, I forfeit my original award. So even if you're appealing your award, it might still be worth asking for an extension on the deadline unless you're absolutely sure you won't enroll unless they increase your aid, or absolutely sure you will whether they do or not.

That's interesting. They didn't mention anything about an extended deadline when I appealed my award. Did you ask about it specifically?

Also, where does it say that you have to withdraw from other schools that have accepted you? I haven't received my Columbia award info yet, and I really don't want to make the decision blind. I guess that's why people ask for extensions on the April 6th deadline.

Finally, does anyone have stats (or even anecdotal evidence) for how long it generally takes for them to decide on an appeal? There was only a 7-day turnaround (including weekend) for when they received my financial info and when they offered me the scholarship. I submitted my appeal 03/09, so I'm wondering if I should expect to hear back this week or the next?

vendetta73

Postby vendetta73 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm

sfreuden wrote:
vendetta73 wrote:
sn20 wrote:
jetissent wrote:

That's interesting. They didn't mention anything about an extended deadline when I appealed my award. Did you ask about it specifically?

Also, where does it say that you have to withdraw from other schools that have accepted you? I haven't received my Columbia award info yet, and I really don't want to make the decision blind. I guess that's why people ask for extensions on the April 6th deadline.

Finally, does anyone have stats (or even anecdotal evidence) for how long it generally takes for them to decide on an appeal? There was only a 7-day turnaround (including weekend) for when they received my financial info and when they offered me the scholarship. I submitted my appeal 03/09, so I'm wondering if I should expect to hear back this week or the next?

I didn't mention anything about deadlines specifically when I wrote about appealing the award; in response, I got a form email directing me to the (newly added) "My Appeal" tab on the FAAPS page where the initial offer was posted, and another email from someone in the Office of Student Financial Services that contained the info I mentioned about the (potential) extended deadline.

It says you have to withdraw from other schools you've been admitted to on the enrollment form (I was looking at the hard copy included in my admissions packet), and the online form for accepting your award asks you to certify that you have accepted the conditions on that form (and sent your deposit).

No idea about appeal timelines. Would love to hear from anyone who has one.

yansky22

Postby yansky22 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:09 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
pg2012 wrote:I haven't received a scholarship interview invite (RTK), but I also haven't received an email or letter saying if I will or will not receive some other sort of aid. Has everyone received these emails that allow you to login and check your award? I am starting to think this means they aren't offering anything, but I saw some people mentioned that they'd received an email and logged in to find they $0... which has not yet happened to me. I'm slightly confused about where I stand. I was accepted in the first wave of non-EA admits and my financial aid forms are all complete. Any insights?

Sounds like the scholarship committee is still working on sending out invitations for interviews. As soon as they've notified everyone, they are going to send the list of non-interviewees over to financial aid. Once financial aid gets this list, they are free to release offers to all of us who applied for RTK but did not get an interview. Not only has RTK not released this info yet, but there's also a problem with the financial aid office's computer system, so another round of offers are not likely to go out until the end of this week or beginning of next, since they have to fix whatever the problem is. Good luck!

I'm in the same boat. I applied for a named scholarship and didn't get an interview, but still haven't heard about scholarships at all. On the web site, it says my application is under final review or something to that effect. I'm getting really antsy because I feel like I'm going to have a really short negotiating window in the end.

Side note, but I also applied for a travel subsidy a few weeks ago, visited the ASW, and haven't heard back. Does anyone know if this is normal or should I remind them (I don't want to be pushy obviously)?

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 pm

yansky22 wrote:
xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I applied for a named scholarship and didn't get an interview, but still haven't heard about scholarships at all. On the web site, it says my application is under final review or something to that effect. I'm getting really antsy because I feel like I'm going to have a really short negotiating window in the end.

Side note, but I also applied for a travel subsidy a few weeks ago, visited the ASW, and haven't heard back. Does anyone know if this is normal or should I remind them (I don't want to be pushy obviously)?

Apparently they don't let you know about travel subsidies until after they've given you a scholarship offer. Don't ask my why.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:50 pm

They seem to be ridiculously stingy about travel subsidies. I was denied mine (though Columbia approved my request). I figured I was a solid candidate for one too.

ArchitectOfPeace

Postby ArchitectOfPeace » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:50 pm

I might have missed some comments on these topics but...

Have all of the RTK interview requests gone out? Also, have they made final decisions for the IILJ Scholars Program?

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 pm

So do we have any consensus about asking for deadline extensions while trying to appeal your award?

sfreuden

Postby sfreuden » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 am

FryBreadPower wrote:So do we have any consensus about asking for deadline extensions while trying to appeal your award?

I don't know about a consensus, but I definitely don't think it can hurt to ask. If I don't have all the info I need by Friday 03/24, I will probably call the financial aid office and ask for an extension.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:31 am

They definitely give out extensions. Call/email and ask: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=148700&start=25

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:06 am

How do you go about asking for an extension without sounding like a jerk? Still waiting on an acceptance from CLS and if I get accepted, I'll have to wait even longer to hear about aid. I'm worried that if I call NYU and say something along those lines, I'll wind up sounding like I'm not as interested in NYU as I really am.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:07 am

ssteiner wrote:How do you go about asking for an extension without sounding like a jerk? Still waiting on an acceptance from CLS and if I get accepted, I'll have to wait even longer to hear about aid. I'm worried that if I call NYU and say something along those lines, I'll wind up sounding like I'm not as interested in NYU as I really am.

Probably just say something along the lines of, "this is obviously an enormous life choice and commitment and I wouldn't feel right deciding on any offer without having full knowledge of the options in front of me. That being said, NYU is still one of my top choices"

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Just got an email saying I wasn't selected as a finalist for the Furman. Will probably withdraw soon.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”