In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

izy223

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Postby izy223 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:59 pm

crumpledq wrote:
izy223 wrote:is it greedy to ask nyu for more if they gave me 37500 based on a 90k GULS scholarship- would that even work?

It never hurts to try.

they wont take away my 37500 or anything because of it right? the worst they can do is say no?

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:11 pm

izy223 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
izy223 wrote:is it greedy to ask nyu for more if they gave me 37500 based on a 90k GULS scholarship- would that even work?

It never hurts to try.

they wont take away my 37500 or anything because of it right? the worst they can do is say no?

No, they won't take it away. The worst they can do is say no. It's entirely rational--and expected--for admitted students to negotiate financial awards.

Kran23

Postby Kran23 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:25 pm

$87,500 Dean's Award!

AmoryB

Postby AmoryB » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Just filed my appeal as well. Has anyone heard any successful negotiation stories with NYU in the past?

bk641

Postby bk641 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:33 pm

madvillain wrote:
bk641 wrote:i don't get why nyu is sending out emails to say "check how much money we gave you!" to people who aren't getting any. i've been having to jump through hoops to get even my login credentials (i'm international) but if this is all to find out that i've gotten nothing, i'll be quite annoyed. actually i think i am annoyed already. whatever.

also, congrats on the RTK people. big ups and a huge boon for all of you guys.

Tiffany, eh? Personally I prefer Yuri. Another international here; shame to hear you won't be getting any aid, it is obviously key for applicants like us.

fany4lyfe

also, it's not that i haven't received anything, i still haven't been able to check -_- silence from the office after they told me to use the lsac assigned number, to which i replied that i had already done so (about a zillion times).....

izy223

Postby izy223 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:03 pm

bk641 wrote:
madvillain wrote:
bk641 wrote:i don't get why nyu is sending out emails to say "check how much money we gave you!" to people who aren't getting any. i've been having to jump through hoops to get even my login credentials (i'm international) but if this is all to find out that i've gotten nothing, i'll be quite annoyed. actually i think i am annoyed already. whatever.

Tiffany, eh? Personally I prefer Yuri. Another international here; shame to hear you won't be getting any aid, it is obviously key for applicants like us.

fany4lyfe

also, it's not that i haven't received anything, i still haven't been able to check -_- silence from the office after they told me to use the lsac assigned number, to which i replied that i had already done so (about a zillion times).....

its because they told you wrong your student id number is your social pword is your bday mmddyyyy at least it was for me

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 pm

For those who tried to negotiate $$, where did you send your emails to?

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:44 am

I emailed mine back to law.finaid@nyu.edu. I got a generic email sending me to https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html to file the appeal there.

bk641

Postby bk641 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:31 am

izy223 wrote:
bk641 wrote:
madvillain wrote:

fany4lyfe

its because they told you wrong your student id number is your social pword is your bday mmddyyyy at least it was for me

thank you for parroting the FAASA login page... if you had just read the posts that you quoted you would have know why this even is an issue for me :?

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:21 am

Appeal submitted--hopefully they have a faster turn around than Uchi! :)

rotaxkarter

Postby rotaxkarter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 am

jetissent wrote:Appeal submitted--hopefully they have a faster turn around than Uchi! :)

Anyone on here know how long it takes them to render a decision on an appeal?

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:25 am

Is anyone waiting for Penn merit aid for their NYU appeal?

Right now I have 67.5 from mich, and 60 from chicago, should I even bother to wait for Penn's notice?

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 am

icedflames wrote:Is anyone waiting for Penn merit aid for their NYU appeal?

Right now I have 67.5 from mich, and 60 from chicago, should I even bother to wait for Penn's notice?

I was going to wait, but when I looked at Penn's site yesterday it says the biggest Dean's scholarship is 60k. Since I didn't get an invite to any of the names ones I assumed that's the highest I could even hear back. If that's true your UChi 60 will carry more weight anyway.

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:48 am

curiouscat wrote:I emailed mine back to law.finaid@nyu.edu. I got a generic email sending me to https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html to file the appeal there.

Is there somewhere on that site where you can file an appeal? If so, I'm not seeing it.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:57 pm

jetissent wrote:

I was going to wait, but when I looked at Penn's site yesterday it says the biggest Dean's scholarship is 60k. Since I didn't get an invite to any of the names ones I assumed that's the highest I could even hear back. If that's true your UChi 60 will carry more weight anyway.

Wow really? I feel like I should withdraw then...

madvillain

Postby madvillain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 pm

to the korean:

i wonder how fany would do on the LSAT...seeing as she's an "expert" in english and all. hahaha. probably better than sica. but yeah, that seems very frustrating, i actually had some similar issues with their office since i didn't want to provide my parent's income and such and they seemed very responsive with my email requests, hopefully they resolve your issue soon.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Aw, no travel subsidy for me. I wish NYU spent less money on candy and bottled water and more on travel subsidies.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Bronck wrote:
jetissent wrote:

Wow really? I feel like I should withdraw then...

I actually got the Wilson, but that's just 60-75k. Also, I wrote the essay with a fever so I shouldnt bank on getting anything lol.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 pm

tamereth wrote:
curiouscat wrote:I emailed mine back to law.finaid@nyu.edu. I got a generic email sending me to https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html to file the appeal there.

Is there somewhere on that site where you can file an appeal? If so, I'm not seeing it.

On the purple menu bar, there should be a button labelled "My Appeal." That should lead you to the form.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:39 pm

curiouscat wrote:
tamereth wrote:

On the purple menu bar, there should be a button labelled "My Appeal." That should lead you to the form.

They only open up that tab after you send them an initial email, I believe.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:50 pm

rotaxkarter wrote:Anyone on here know how long it takes them to render a decision on an appeal?

I'm interested in this too. Any chance they'll do it before the April 6th deadline?

Also, just to check, if I definitely won't attend with my current scholarship and I don't get a decision on the appeal before April 6, can I decline the scholarship and still be considered for a larger one? I was a bit confused about that email.

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Bronck wrote:
curiouscat wrote:
tamereth wrote:

They only open up that tab after you send them an initial email, I believe.

Thanks guys!

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Come on NYU, get at me with the Furman. It's halfway through March and nothing! I'm dying over here!

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Wow, ended up with 87.5k (or 105k for PI). Chicago made an awesome case by offering me 90k but now I'm really not at all sure what to think. Especially with this April 6th deadline.

ETA: do I definitely need to write to Columbia now to ask them to hurry up with any financial aid offer that might be on the way? And if yes, should I be mentioning the amount I got from C and N?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Wow, ended up with 87.5k (or 105k for PI). Chicago made an awesome case by offering me 90k but now I'm really not at all sure what to think. Especially with this April 6th deadline.

ETA: do I definitely need to write to Columbia now to ask them to hurry up with any financial aid offer that might be on the way? And if yes, should I be mentioning the amount I got from C and N?

Yeah, send CLS a negotiation letter indicating the deadline. They should get back to you before then, though I can't imagine them giving you a competitive offer since they're generally quite stingy with non-named aid.

If your decisions come down to NYU v Chi, take NYU because well... you get to live in NYC :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”