In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

SecondAidenn

New

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Post by SecondAidenn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Hey everyone! Does anyone happen to know anything about the timeline for the IILJ Scholars decisions? Did I miss the boat on that one or have the decisions not gone out yet?

nsbane

Bronze

Post by nsbane » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:47 am

SecondAidenn wrote:Hey everyone! Does anyone happen to know anything about the timeline for the IILJ Scholars decisions? Did I miss the boat on that one or have the decisions not gone out yet?
some people have gotten their decisions already. i'm assuming if you haven't been notified, then you aren't being invited.

thatkid

Bronze

Post by thatkid » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:02 am

SecondAidenn wrote:Hey everyone! Does anyone happen to know anything about the timeline for the IILJ Scholars decisions? Did I miss the boat on that one or have the decisions not gone out yet?
Last year they sent emails out to all applicants when they'd finished with invites, essentially telling you that you were not selected as a finalist. I'm not positive they'll do that again, but it seems reasonable to think invites will continue to roll out for a while (especially if people turn them down).

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Random question: does anyone know how strict they are about enforcing their rather draconian rules about guests in on-campus housing? My husband is considering spending a week working out of his firm's NYC office every once in a while in order to visit me (he'll be living in DC), but the on-campus visitor policies make it seem like I have to babysit him at all times that he's in the building, and I need written permission from the building administrators any time he is going to stay for more than three nights in a row. Sheesh. I'm 27, not 17.

This is making me rethink living in a dorm-like situation.

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 pm

crumpledq wrote:Random question: does anyone know how strict they are about enforcing their rather draconian rules about guests in on-campus housing? My husband is considering spending a week working out of his firm's NYC office every once in a while in order to visit me (he'll be living in DC), but the on-campus visitor policies make it seem like I have to babysit him at all times that he's in the building, and I need written permission from the building administrators any time he is going to stay for more than three nights in a row. Sheesh. I'm 27, not 17.

The 3 night thing is just to give him a pass to get past security without calling the person living there (you). I lived at Mercer for a year and had people over all the time....they just couldn't get into the building if I wasn't around.

This was 3 years ago tho....but I doubt things have changed much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 pm

After my reserve (read: soft rejection) at Columbia, NYU is looking all the more likely. And hey, Greenwich Village is way cooler than Morningside Heights anyway.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:52 pm

crumpledq wrote:Random question: does anyone know how strict they are about enforcing their rather draconian rules about guests in on-campus housing? My husband is considering spending a week working out of his firm's NYC office every once in a while in order to visit me (he'll be living in DC), but the on-campus visitor policies make it seem like I have to babysit him at all times that he's in the building, and I need written permission from the building administrators any time he is going to stay for more than three nights in a row. Sheesh. I'm 27, not 17.

It's not really draconian. It's just about safety and whatnot. They can get passes and a key if they put down a $5 deposit. Not a big deal at all.

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:25 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:

It's not really draconian. It's just about safety and whatnot. They can get passes and a key if they put down a $5 deposit. Not a big deal at all.
The rules as written are draconian if you're used to living in an apartment building, not a dorm. But if they aren't strictly enforced and all you need is a $5 deposit passes and keys, that's better. Hardly ideal, though, since in the "real world" my husband wouldn't have to rely on me to be physically present whenever he wants to go in and out of an apartment building. That's enough of a hassle (given how often he'll be visiting) that I might choose not to live in student housing for this reason. But thank you for the info.

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:40 pm

crumpledq wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

The rules as written are draconian if you're used to living in an apartment building, not a dorm. But if they aren't strictly enforced and all you need is a $5 deposit passes and keys, that's better. Hardly ideal, though, since in the "real world" my husband wouldn't have to rely on me to be physically present whenever he wants to go in and out of an apartment building. That's enough of a hassle (given how often he'll be visiting) that I might choose not to live in student housing for this reason. But thank you for the info.
The pass will allow your husband to enter the buildings without you. But I think they are somewhat strict about only giving out passes for 3 days at a time. Also for whats it worth the doormen at D'ag tend to be much more flexible than the doormen at Mercer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:42 pm

How does this affect ahem.... if you happen to bring a lady friend over at say 230 AM..... does the doorman stop you?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:44 pm

smokeylarue wrote:How does this affect ahem.... if you happen to bring a lady friend over at say 230 AM..... does the doorman stop you?
Doesn't at all. You can just walk in with them. It's very relaxed. It's just like a normal doorman.

Also, FWIW I've had the opposite experience between the Mercer and D'Ag doormen...

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Thank so much for the info, guys! Very helpful.

bogm2012

New

Post by bogm2012 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:50 pm

OMG Class with Kenji Yoshino?! How cool!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:How does this affect ahem.... if you happen to bring a lady friend over at say 230 AM..... does the doorman stop you?
Doesn't at all. You can just walk in with them. It's very relaxed. It's just like a normal doorman.

Also, FWIW I've had the opposite experience between the Mercer and D'Ag doormen...
Really? Interesting. Your experiences are likely more accurate, I've been out for a few years.

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:59 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:

I don't know, I lived in an NYU dorm one summer a few years ago, and the security was really obnoxious IMHO. I seem to remember that visitors had to leave their drivers' licenses or something along those lines. And since I had to swipe my ID card and go through a turnstile to get in, I'm sure there was a similar level of scrutiny for visitors. Whatever it was, it was WAY stricter than at my undergrad (which, granted, was not in NYC). Not to mention the process for moving in/out, ugh...

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 pm

sailboat wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

I don't know, I lived in an NYU dorm one summer a few years ago, and the security was really obnoxious IMHO. I seem to remember that visitors had to leave their drivers' licenses or something along those lines. And since I had to swipe my ID card and go through a turnstile to get in, I'm sure there was a similar level of scrutiny for visitors. Whatever it was, it was WAY stricter than at my undergrad (which, granted, was not in NYC). Not to mention the process for moving in/out, ugh...
NYU has separate rules for law school dorms v. undergrad dorms. Neither Mercer nor D'ag have turnstiles.

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
sailboat wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

NYU has separate rules for law school dorms v. undergrad dorms. Neither Mercer nor D'ag have turnstiles.
Ah, OK, my bad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xlawschoolhopefulx

Bronze

Post by xlawschoolhopefulx » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:16 pm

So, no movement for RTK today? Gosh I'm getting impatient.

astaris

New

Post by astaris » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:So, no movement for RTK today? Gosh I'm getting impatient.
Me too! I'm checking my mail constantly, but to no avail. (Although part of this might be because I foolishly checked the mail before the mail even came today...)

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Just RSVP'd for March 19-20 ASW. Looking forward to seeing some of you! :)

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Just RSVP'd for March 19-20 ASW. Looking forward to seeing some of you! :)
Pretty sure its March 29-30. Don't want you to buy the wrong plane tickets lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelong

Silver

Post by thelong » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 pm

smokeylarue wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Just RSVP'd for March 19-20 ASW. Looking forward to seeing some of you! :)
Pretty sure its March 29-30. Don't want you to buy the wrong plane tickets lol
If that's the case I'll be meeting you there FryBread!

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:52 pm

There's a March 19-20 ASW? Why isn't it in the polls...

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Just accepted today and I'm trying to find a good weekend to fly up and do Columbia and NYU together. Anyone know what the major advantages of ASW are as opposed to just visiting for a class or two and doing a regular tour?

Also has anyone been looking into apartments and found somewhat decent places for less than the $1,300ish you can do through the school?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Just accepted today and I'm trying to find a good weekend to fly up and do Columbia and NYU together. Anyone know what the major advantages of ASW are as opposed to just visiting for a class or two and doing a regular tour?
Potential for reimbursement of travel costs. Plus you get free food.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”