In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

snehpets

Silver

In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll!

Post by snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:48 am

I should probably put a lot of useful things in this first post but I don't have any. This is so we all stop annoying the people in the NYU applicants thread with our DLS-ness.

Excited about NYU!

Discuss.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Useful Links:

Admitted Students Website
Ask an NYU 2L Questions Thread
NYU Class of 2015 Applicants Thread
Law School Numbers: NYU
Official (Committed) Class of 2015 NYU Thread

Useful Info:

Admitted Students Weekends: March 1-2, March 29-30, April 19-20.

Housing Thanks to Hawkeye Pierce!
It's my impression that the earliest you can move into the apartments at NYU is August 24th, and you are charged 100-200 for the days of orientation. --LinkRemoved-- ... /index.htm

It appears as if the cheapest apartments are the 2-3 bedroom ones (1300-1500 dollars) in D'ag. --LinkRemoved-- ... /index.htm
The cheapest in Mercer look like 2 bedroom apartments for 1500-1600. --LinkRemoved-- ... /index.htm
Rates include utilities.

Amenities:
local telephone, NYU Cable TV, ResNet (high-speed wireless and data capability) and utility charges (Heat/Air Conditioning (seasonally), Water, Gas, Electricity). Each bedroom has a telephone, ResNet and NYU Cable TV connection.

What the apartments are pre-furnished with (at least in D'ag -- slight difference at Mercer):

All apartments have kitchens (stove, oven, refrigerator) and are furnished with beds (type L1 apartments are furnished with full size beds, type L2 apartments used for family housing accommodations are furnished with full size beds; all others are furnished with extra-long single beds), drawer space, desk, chair and dining table with chairs. Each apartment is centrally air-conditioned and has wall-to-wall carpeting in the bedroom(s). Lamps, linens, cookware, kitchen utensils, and wastebaskets are not provided.

Questions People Keep Asking:

Will I get scholarship info in the mail?! Should they have mentioned it on the phone?!
The generally agreed upon answer seems to be that sometime after the first of the year you'll need to fill out various forms to qualify for ANY kind of NYU aid, need-based OR merit-based. The named scholarships are done differently, of course.
How long were you under review for/when did you submit/if I submitted in September and haven't heard yet am I automatically rejected?!
See this thread for a bunch of people probably little more qualified to predict the actions of the NYU Admissions office than you are speculating onjust these sorts of questions.

NYU ASW INFORMATION
Thanks to Dakure!
Form: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... E6MQ#gid=0

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 4aEE#gid=0

Obligatory Picture of NYU

Last edited by snehpets on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 am, edited 13 times in total.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Re: In at NYU

Post by AmandaPB » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:51 am

snehpets wrote:I should probably put a lot of useful things in this first post for people in at NYU...but I don't have any.

Excited about NYU!

Discuss.
HA! Hello everyone! I’m still SO excited about this acceptance.

curiousgeorgia

Bronze

Post by curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:51 am

Two days later, I'm still in a state of euphoria. Or denial, about the crippling debt I would take on if I attend. But they feel the same right now, so it's all good!

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:53 am

Yes! I'm super happy and it still hasn't sunk in yet. I can't wait for ASW; I want to go asap (as in, March 1), but I should probably try to coordinate with Columbia ASW if I get in there too.

Man, I'm so excited about the possibility of being in NY, but simultaneously terrified of the debt too :shock:

crooked

Bronze

Post by crooked » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:53 am

curiousgeorgia wrote:Two days later, I'm still in a state of euphoria. Or denial, about the crippling debt I would take on if I attend. But they feel the same right now, so it's all good!
I described myself to someone as a "happy zombie." I'm stunned and sort of incapacitated to accomplish anything, but incredibly excited about this opportunity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snehpets

Silver

Re: In at NYU...now with poll!

Post by snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:56 am

The debt is so scary. I'm also kind of torn bc I'm waiting to hear from Columbia. I kind of feel like I prefer NYU to columbia but am afraid I would turn prestigewhore and pick Columbia given the option. If NYU gave me money it would be way easier.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 am

Hahaha nice poll. I <3 NYU but mostly just holding on to the HYS dream. Pretty sure NYU > CC for me, at least. That, and the debt scares the hell out of me, especially because of COL in NYC.

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks for taking the lead, snehpets!

I'd love anyone's insight about a factor in my decision-making re NYU. One of the important things I'm considering between NYU and GULC (my husband will continue to work in DC, so Georgetown has been at the top of my list) is their respective track records for placing federal appellate clerks. GULC places very well in the DC Circuit, but does not have nearly as broad a reach as NYU in other circuits, especially the 9th and of course the 2nd. I'm not sure how much of this is attributable to the 'prestige' factor, and how much is attributable to better relationships between appellate judges and NYU profs as compared to GULC profs. Or if the difference comes from the number of qualified applicants in each school's student body rather than from profs or prestige.

Is anyone else researching post-law-school clerkships placements? Anyone have any insight? It's a rather specific inquiry, I know...but there have to be some other future litigators other there like me!
Last edited by crumpledq on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Has anyone gotten the actual admission letter yet? Hopefully the batch of acceptances that came this week should get them by Friday or Saturday, but who knows.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Um, sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but why is this thread necessary in addition to the 2011-2012 applicants thread in the exact same sub-forum and the NYU Class of 2015 thread in the other sub-forum? If we start a second thread in this same forum for every school it's going to turn into a complete clusterfuck.

Didn't apply to NYU, but just some food for thought.

/rant

Boston_NYG2245

Bronze

Post by Boston_NYG2245 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 pm

snehpets wrote:The debt is so scary. I'm also kind of torn bc I'm waiting to hear from Columbia. I kind of feel like I prefer NYU to columbia but am afraid I would turn prestigewhore and pick Columbia given the option. If NYU gave me money it would be way easier.
Hah, same here. I took the bus down from Boston a couple weeks ago to check out both schools and I'm really torn. The facilities are both pretty nice, NYU is in a nicer neighborhood, but Columbia has more of a campus feel which I like. That would be a tough choice to make, but it's one I hope I get the option of making. In any case, I'm just really thrilled to know that I will in fact be going to an excellent law school.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Um, sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but why is this thread necessary in addition to the 2011-2012 applicants thread in the exact same sub-forum and the NYU Class of 2015 thread in the other sub-forum? If we start a second thread in this same forum for every school it's going to turn into a complete clusterfuck.

Didn't apply to NYU, but just some food for thought.

/rant
There's a history of starting these sorts of threads. There was one last year. The NYU Class of 2015 thread is for people who have officially picked NYU to discuss their official life plans. The "In At" threads are for people who haven't officially decided and want to freak out/discuss apartments and other options while not annoying either the definitively attending people in the other thread or the people who haven't gotten in yet in the applicants thread, as seen in the In at Harvard thread. Sorry to have bothered you though.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:04 pm

freestallion wrote:That, and the debt scares the hell out of me, especially because of COL in NYC.
NYC cost of living is appalling. Looking at those NYU apt prices or thinking about commuting from Bushwick... I think that's why I'm still on the fence and given the opportunity would consider Chicago (even with all of the Republicans) or Penn.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 pm

If anyone has any questions about Morningside Heights wrt deciding between NYU & Columbia, feel free to post 'em here, or to send me a PM. I've been working at Columbia for the last year and living in the same on-campus housing as law students. fwiw, I'm leaning NYU over Columbia, but I think I prefer Columbia's location.

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Nelson wrote: Chicago (even with all of the Republicans)

Is this a thing?

Still holding out some hope for my ED at Uchi to pan out, but if not I'm bound for NYC

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 pm

u probably should edit the title to include the class date....

In at NYU with Poll (Class of 2015)

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:10 pm

thederangedwang wrote:u probably should edit the title to include the class date....

I bet you were the one who picked the first option, huh? :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Nelson wrote:
freestallion wrote:That, and the debt scares the hell out of me, especially because of COL in NYC.
NYC cost of living is appalling. Looking at those NYU apt prices or thinking about commuting from Bushwick... I think that's why I'm still on the fence and given the opportunity would consider Chicago (even with all of the Republicans) or Penn.
I feel like commuting as a law student would be really tough. For one, I would love the opportunity to live with/near other law students, and would rather not be isolated/alone in some other part of the city. Second, carrying all those huge books, laptop etc to school every day would be a huge pain. And I also think I would want to stay on campus late, use the library, go to meetings, etc and commuting would make it more difficult. Not sure, though, since I have never lived in NYC before.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:12 pm

snehpets wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:u probably should edit the title to include the class date....

I bet you were the one who picked the first option, huh? :wink:
:mrgreen:
Last edited by thederangedwang on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boston_NYG2245

Bronze

Post by Boston_NYG2245 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Danny Mothers wrote:
Nelson wrote: Chicago (even with all of the Republicans)

Is this a thing?

Still holding out some hope for my ED at Uchi to pan out, but if not I'm bound for NYC
Chicago has a rep for being a relatively conservative school. I think it mostly stems from the school's association with Milton Friedman and modern conservative (not nec Republican FWIW) economic thought. I think the conservative rep is a bit overblown though. After all, Pres. Obama was a professor there.

thestillpoint

Bronze

Post by thestillpoint » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:19 pm

I live less than 10 minutes from NYU, so I can definitely attest to the high cost of living in the area. However, it's also an extremely vibrant, exciting place to live. I've visited both NYU and Columbia's law schools a couple of times-- and I know people at both. There is definitely a general consensus that students at NYU are happier and enjoy law school much more. I do love NYC, so I'm very tempted by both schools. I've walked around Columbia's campus and library and asked random students there about their experiences in law school. I was surprised that a couple of students straight up told me that they had not enjoyed their time at CLS because of the degree of competition and that I should think hard about my priorities before coming there (assuming I have that option). All the people I talked to were 1L's though, so that might have biased the sample.

With NYU, I've had entirely the opposite experience. People really seem to enjoy the atmosphere of the school, its location, and to bond with their classmates. No one seemed to think there was direct competition between students and said that people were always willing to share notes and outlines. I was even invited by a couple of 2L's to attend a "jungle party" that night.

I don't really know what accounts for the difference between the two, but Columbia seems to have a much more competitive atmosphere. And it doesn't benefit from not having grades like HLS/YLS. However, I'm currently working at a law firm, and most of the attorneys here think that Columbia has a slightly stronger reputation than NYU in the city (though obviously both place well) but that Columbia is definitely superior in terms of their alumni network -- which is important in the long run.

I'm not sure how helpful any of this is, but I thought I'd throw my own observations out there. I personally think I'd enjoy my time more at NYU, but without money, I would possibly attend Columbia if I was sure I'd be better positioned to pay off my debt. For now though, I'm super excited to have gotten into NYU!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 pm

freestallion wrote:
Nelson wrote:
I feel like commuting as a law student would be really tough. For one, I would love the opportunity to live with/near other law students, and would rather not be isolated/alone in some other part of the city. Second, carrying all those huge books, laptop etc to school every day would be a huge pain. And I also think I would want to stay on campus late, use the library, go to meetings, etc and commuting would make it more difficult. Not sure, though, since I have never lived in NYC before.
Agreed, I don't think I would consider commuting for 1L, which means prohibitive COL. And NYU doesn't guarantee housing either.

Not trying to be a downer though, I am really excited about the possibility. COL is really the only qualm I have.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:22 pm

thestillpoint wrote:I live less than 10 minutes from NYU, so I can definitely attest to the high cost of living in the area. However, it's also an extremely vibrant, exciting place to live. I've visited both NYU and Columbia's law schools a couple of times-- and I know people at both. There is definitely a general consensus that students at NYU are happier and enjoy law school much more. I do love NYC, so I'm very tempted by both schools. I've walked around Columbia's campus and library and asked random students there about their experiences in law school. I was surprised that a couple of students straight up told me that they had not enjoyed their time at CLS because of the degree of competition and that I should think hard about my priorities before coming there (assuming I have that option). All the people I talked to were 1L's though, so that might have biased the sample.

With NYU, I've had entirely the opposite experience. People really seem to enjoy the atmosphere of the school, its location, and to bond with their classmates. No one seemed to think there was direct competition between students and said that people were always willing to share notes and outlines. I was even invited by a couple of 2L's to attend a "jungle party" that night.

I don't really know what accounts for the difference between the two, but Columbia seems to have a much more competitive atmosphere. And it doesn't benefit from not having grades like HLS/YLS. However, I'm currently working at a law firm, and most of the attorneys here think that Columbia has a slightly stronger reputation than NYU in the city (though obviously both place well) but that Columbia is definitely superior in terms of their alumni network -- which is important in the long run.

I'm not sure how helpful any of this is, but I thought I'd throw my own observations out there. I personally think I'd enjoy my time more at NYU, but without money, I would possibly attend Columbia if I was sure I'd be better positioned to pay off my debt. For now though, I'm super excited to have gotten into NYU!
I'm sure a bunch of people will give you a hard time about basing decisions on "a couple of random people you met in real life," but this was actually exactly the sort of thing I'm interested in hearing, so I appreciate it. I think it's Columbia's "better reputation in the city" that scares me, but at the same time I'm looking more to pay off my hypothetical debt than to get the most prestigious job in NY, so I feel like that's okay. This totally made me love NYU even more!

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 pm

freestallion wrote:
Nelson wrote:
If someone could comment on this, I'd also be interested to know what it's like living on/near campus vs commuting.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Is it feasible to commute from New Jersey to NYU or Columbia?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”