In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

poe

Bronze

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...now with poll!

Post by poe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:21 pm

So has anyone who was accepted on Monday received their letter yet?

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:23 pm

hdsoc wrote:
addy11 wrote:
hdsoc wrote:I think in a lot of cases, when comparing Greenwich Village to NJ or Brooklyn you're talking about much more than a $200 difference. But places like the East Village or Murray Hill offer options that are anywhere from $150 to $300 cheaper and without the transportation hassles. Wherever you're looking, just make sure you look at a subway map first, because that will end up being the most important thing. Apartments on the LES might be closer, in terms of actual distance, but might end up being more of a hassle than say, the Upper West Side because of the express subway.

I live a block or two from NYU now, but I'll probably move into a different neighborhood and pay considerably less than the ~$1700/month I pay now, but still be one subway stop/walking distance on a nice day.

Anyway, I've lived in NYC most of my life, so if anybody wants tips on neighborhoods, brokers, etc feel free to PM me.
If you hadn't said it twice, I would have doubted that you've lived there all your life. You can walk most places in the LES to NYU faster than getting there from the UWS, even on the 2/3 (you'd have to switch to the 1, anyway), and the F and M (both of which stop super close to NYU) are well represented on the LES.

Also, Murray Hill or the Financial District are "cheap," safe areas for non-upper Manhattan, but the EV is probably just as expensive as the Village. Alphabet City is cheaper but, as you said, it's not near the subways and would be a hassle.
We'll have to agree to dis-agree. I hate the F train; the idea of relying on it sounds terrible, while the 1/2/3 is reliable and efficient. If you're near soho/nolita, LES is definitely walkable, but large parts of it are a huge hike, especially with heavy books. I commuted from UWS downtown for years on an express stop and it was easy.

And large swathes of EV are still affordable, if you go outside of the area around Astor Place.
I don't know... I looked this past August and couldn't find anything workable for less than $1300/month. Most of it was around $1500, and all of them had broker's fees. Also, for those who know nothing about broker's fees: apprise yourself of this horrible aspect of NYC real estate search.

At least we can agree that the F train fucking sucks.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:25 pm

poe wrote:So has anyone who was accepted on Monday received their letter yet?
Not yet. EDers last week got them on Saturday it seemed.

So I'm guessing we won't get ours until Fri/Sat or Mon at worst.

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:27 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
DonnaDraper wrote:Love the creeper option on this poll.
Haha, are you cruelly laughing at our concerns over COL because you'll be enjoying the drastically more affordable rates in Philly next year?
Somewhat :-)
Last edited by DonnaDraper on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hdsoc

Bronze

Post by hdsoc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:35 pm

addy11 wrote: I don't know... I looked this past August and couldn't find anything workable for less than $1300/month. Most of it was around $1500, and all of them had broker's fees. Also, for those who know nothing about broker's fees: apprise yourself of this horrible aspect of NYC real estate search.

Make that two things we can agree on...the F train is the worst...and so are brokers. Ugh.

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking this thread. NYC may be the most expensive City, but it's also the best, so it's worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:45 pm

I think people are, if anything, overestimating utility costs. Heat and hot water are included, basic Time Warner is $30/month, and while electricity in my apt tends to run around $80/month, it's split between multiple roommates (as is TW)... so I end up only paying $20-25 a month in utilities. The one exception is in the summer, when I run my AC - that can add another $30-40/month to the electricity, but usually only for two months (July and Aug) when you may or may not be in NYC anyway.

ETA: "Basic Time Warner" = basic internet, not including cable.

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:56 pm

hdsoc wrote:
addy11 wrote: I don't know... I looked this past August and couldn't find anything workable for less than $1300/month. Most of it was around $1500, and all of them had broker's fees. Also, for those who know nothing about broker's fees: apprise yourself of this horrible aspect of NYC real estate search.

Make that two things we can agree on...the F train is the worst...and so are brokers. Ugh.

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking this thread. NYC may be the most expensive City, but it's also the best, so it's worth it.
Three things :)

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Does anyone know anything about NYU's family housing? Do you have to have a kid, or is a spouse enough?

(PS received phone call from NYU today).

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Just got the call from nyu so I guess its time to tag this thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Stanford today :). Sorry NYU, but you’re looking like less of an option now.

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:57 pm

AmandaPB wrote:Stanford today :). Sorry NYU, but you’re looking like less of an option now.
WHOA CONGRATS

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Also, just got a call. FINALLY!

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:07 pm

sailboat wrote:I think people are, if anything, overestimating utility costs. Heat and hot water are included, basic Time Warner is $30/month, and while electricity in my apt tends to run around $80/month, it's split between multiple roommates (as is TW)... so I end up only paying $20-25 a month in utilities. The one exception is in the summer, when I run my AC - that can add another $30-40/month to the electricity, but usually only for two months (July and Aug) when you may or may not be in NYC anyway.

ETA: "Basic Time Warner" = basic internet, not including cable.
= No HD.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Two quesitons - are utilities included in NYU housing and how fast is the internet there?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Housing isn't guaranteed, right? So does this mean it's done by a lottery of some sort?

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:15 pm

freestallion wrote:Housing isn't guaranteed, right? So does this mean it's done by a lottery of some sort?
From the Admitted Students Website:

"Housing for all first year students at NYU School of Law is virtually guaranteed"

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:16 pm

freestallion wrote:Housing isn't guaranteed, right? So does this mean it's done by a lottery of some sort?
The website says that priority for housing is given to those who apply before a May deadline (the 15th, IIRC). It also says that housing is "virtually guaranteed," so if you apply before the priority deadline the odds are probably pretty good you'll get housing. Not sure how they decide who doesn't get in among late applicants, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:20 pm

crumpledq wrote:
The website says that priority for housing is given to those who apply before a May deadline (the 15th, IIRC). It also says that housing is "virtually guaranteed," so if you apply before the priority deadline the odds are probably pretty good you'll get housing. Not sure how they decide who doesn't get in among late applicants, though.
Ah, thank you. Sorry, I guess I have to read the website more closely myself. :oops: That's pretty sweet though!

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:24 pm

You guys are making it soooo hard to study for my last final! All I've been doing is looking at pics of NYU housing

rotaxkarter

Bronze

Re: In at NYU...now with poll!

Post by rotaxkarter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:37 pm

addy11 wrote:
snehpets wrote:
addy11 wrote: I was trying to say, though, that in NYC it's completely normal for people to live more ascetic lives. My parents have seen my apartments and know my rent and are like "WTF?" When people look for apartments in other cities they may actually be able to find a place in a cool, safe neighborhood, at a reasonable price, near transportation, with lots of natural light, no roaches/rats, lots of space, a nice kitchen, a doorman, no 3+ floor walk ups, washers and dryers in their apartment. In NYC you either have a trust fund or you just have to weigh some of those things against the others. You have to decide how you personally feel about desirability of location, decent price and amenities, because you will not get all three, and whatever you sacrifice you'll still be paying more than you would in any other city in the country.

I'm just saying that it's far more normal to be successful/intelligent/driven and live in sub-optimal situations in New York than in other cities. My friends who stayed in Atlanta would absolutely recoil at my apartment here, as well as the price I pay to live in it, but it's not really that different from the apartments of either the students or the businesspeople whom I'm friends with here.
Cannot deal with roaches/rats. Know they're an inevitable by-product of city life, but will seriously do whatever it takes to find the least roach/rat friendly apt in manhattan.
Those apartments absolutely exist, but I would recommend trying for a newer building, and nothing that is above a restaurant (especially a cheaper restaurant).

Rats are everywhere, but I have never seen/heard of one in someone's apartment. The shitty thing about roaches is that you really have no idea where they'll be... One of my friends lived in a really nice apartment in SoHo (desirable location, very close to NYU) and she had roaches, whereas my crappy apartment in the Lower East Side never had one during the two years we lived there. When you're checking places out, there's really no way to tell.
+1. Lived in UES and Tribeca, not the fanciest of places but no roaches and definitely no rats...You'll find those in the subway :P.

Had a bedbug problem though throughout the tribeca unit. Had to hire some people to take care of it. I would argue bedbugs are more annoying than roaches, sooo hard to deal with...

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:03 pm

can't believe im tagging this as a potential atendee but here we are

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yoiav

Bronze

Post by yoiav » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:43 pm

you're it!

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:21 pm

I am thrilled about NYU but I voted the HYSCC option. I'm also slightly terrified by the idea of being $250K in debt. I love NYC, but why must it be so expensive? Le sigh. I guess I'll have to defer and become a hedge fund manager so I can afford law school, lol.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:40 pm

freestallion wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
Ah, thank you. Sorry, I guess I have to read the website more closely myself. :oops: That's pretty sweet though!
I have a friend who got off the WL a week before classes started. He still got housing...It is guaranteed if you apply by the deadline.

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Oh, just FYI to all you paranoid people out there: I live in NYC, was activated to DLS on Monday 12/12, and have not yet received the purple envelope. I would imagine tomorrow.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”