In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Even Newer Poll!

Post by RonnyDworkin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:01 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Got my offer upped, but it's still due April 6th! Has anyone successfully negotiated a later deadline?

By how much?

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:06 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Got my offer upped, but it's still due April 6th! Has anyone successfully negotiated a later deadline?
Yeah, it took them a few days to get back to me, but they bumped me up to April 13th. Definitely helps with the pressure of making a decision too.

brewbain

New

Post by brewbain » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Hello all,

I have been lurking for quite some time but I wanted to mention my experience with extending the scholarship deadline. I told them I wanted to wait until after this next ASW, when I could make it, and they gave me till April 23. I asked because I was waiting on Columbia, but they gave me $25K vs $75K at NYU, so now I can just wait for an HYS admit I guess.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Just got an amazing scholarship from Berkeley. Withdrawing from NYU tomorrow. Good luck to everyone with your scholarship negotiations :D

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:50 pm

brewbain wrote:Hello all,

I have been lurking for quite some time but I wanted to mention my experience with extending the scholarship deadline. I told them I wanted to wait until after this next ASW, when I could make it, and they gave me till April 23. I asked because I was waiting on Columbia, but they gave me $25K vs $75K at NYU, so now I can just wait for an HYS admit I guess.
Did you let Columbia know about the NYU offer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brewbain

New

Post by brewbain » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:59 am

Greenandgold wrote:
brewbain wrote:Hello all,

Did you let Columbia know about the NYU offer?
I let Columbia know when I sent them all my tax return info before they gave out awards, and it doesn't seem like they cared too much. I'll try again, but at this point I'm gearing up to be in the Village this fall.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:20 am

Columbia gave me 25K over THRE YEARS. Is that a joke? :D :D

Yes, I know I'm posting in the NYU thread. I like this thread more.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:20 am

hypothalamus wrote:Columbia gave me 25K over THRE YEARS. Is that a joke? :D :D

+1 for NYU. Have you heard from NYU re aid yet?

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:22 am

RonnyDworkin wrote:

Not yet, no. I was an applicant for a named scholarship, so they're supposed to email us our awards at the end of this week... which I guess is tomorrow. :)

But I really don't get Columbia. I thought this was supposed to be "financial aid." And if it is, I find it hard to imagine anyone has a more "needy" situation than mine, yet people get like 50-60K... I'm just so confused.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:26 am

hypothalamus wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:

Not yet, no. I was an applicant for a named scholarship, so they're supposed to email us our awards at the end of this week... which I guess is tomorrow. :)

But I really don't get Columbia. I thought this was supposed to be "financial aid." And if it is, I find it hard to imagine anyone has a more "needy" situation than mine, yet people get like 50-60K... I'm just so confused.

I'm sure you'll get good news from NYU. :D All the more for you to choose NYU.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 am

RonnyDworkin wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:+1 for NYU. Have you heard from NYU re aid yet?

I'm sure you'll get good news from NYU. :D All the more for you to choose NYU.
Not to to even mention that they "awarded" me a cosigned student loan.... which I have to procure myself... but they included it in my "aid package"... and it's still like 50K short of cost of attendance for the first year :D :D This makes no seeeeense.

bogm2012

New

Post by bogm2012 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:29 am

hypothalamus wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:

It's screwy. Conventional TLS wisdom holds that no schools besides HYS really do need-based aid. FWIW I got something like ~$9k/year in grant aid from Boalt (OOS) and nothing from Penn, even though one might assume that Penn would be in a better situation to give out need-based aid.

The weird thing is the median salaries at the three schools that do give need-based aid are also screwy. I think the average parental salary of students receiving grant aid at HLS is around $90k. So, in other words, this is the median of the poorer group (not sure what the cutoff is). 90k is certainly above the national average for incomes, and way above whatever threshold these other schools seem to have.

At HLS ASW they put it succinctly: schools that give merit based aid are somewhat indirectly making it harder for people who cannot afford law school to attend.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:33 am

bogm2012 wrote: It's screwy. Conventional TLS wisdom holds that no schools besides HYS really do need-based aid. FWIW I got something like ~$9k/year in grant aid from Boalt (OOS) and nothing from Penn, even though one might assume that Penn would be in a better situation to give out need-based aid.

The weird thing is the median salaries at the three schools that do give need-based aid are also screwy. I think the average parental salary of students receiving grant aid at HLS is around $90k. So, in other words, this is the median of the poorer group (not sure what the cutoff is). 90k is certainly above the national average for incomes, and way above whatever threshold these other schools seem to have.

At HLS ASW they put it succinctly: schools that give merit based aid are somewhat indirectly making it harder for people who cannot afford law school to attend.
I always knew I'd need an HLS acceptance to be able to even begin to imagining affording law school in some way :D. My family makes 90K over 10 years... if it's 10 good years, so I think I'd be set for aid there.

Too bad you have to be admitted to qualify :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:36 am

hypothalamus wrote:
bogm2012 wrote: It's screwy. Conventional TLS wisdom holds that no schools besides HYS really do need-based aid. FWIW I got something like ~$9k/year in grant aid from Boalt (OOS) and nothing from Penn, even though one might assume that Penn would be in a better situation to give out need-based aid.

I always knew I'd need an HLS acceptance to be able to even begin to imagining affording law school in some way :D. My family makes 90K over 10 years... if it's 10 good years, so I think I'd be set for aid there.

This makes me sad. Have you looked into outside sources of scholarship? I've known people who have received $15-20k over three years from external sources.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:40 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:

This makes me sad. Have you looked into outside sources of scholarship? I've known people who have received $15-20k over three years from external sources.
Unfortunately, most such sources only apply to American citizens :(. On the other hand, my home country, unlike Canada for example, doesn't have any special assistance or loans for studying in the US. So it pretty much all has to come from private loans, which I'm happy to take out, but I have to start looking for a US cosigner who will be willing to cosign my loans :)

Worst case scenario, I'll have to defer for a year or two and try to save up money or marry rich :D

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:45 am

hypothalamus wrote:Worst case scenario, I'll have to defer for a year or two and try to save up money or marry rich :D
Stay away from my men.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:46 am

soj wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:Worst case scenario, I'll have to defer for a year or two and try to save up money or marry rich :D
Stay away from my men.
I would think that you two are looking at independent populations of men in NYC.

Not that soj wouldn't mind to flip somebody...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
soj wrote:
Stay away from my men.
I would think that you two are looking at independent populations of men in NYC.

Not that soj wouldn't mind to flip somebody...
soj, are you in NYC? Wanna mud wrestle to determine who gets the rich menz? :D

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:58 am

Nah, let's just go shopping.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:03 pm

soj wrote:Nah, let's just go shopping.
Can we???

But I think I vaguely remember you got into like H or S or something, so you probably won't be staying with me in NYC. :( I might also be imagining said acceptance, but I think it did happen.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:11 pm

I don't live in NY, but I live decently close (long bus ride or short plane ride away), so I might be visiting in the next couple months. I didn't have time to tour the city or catch up with all my friends when I came for ASWs. We should hang out.

I got into H and S but Columbia gave me a lot of money so I might come to NY instead.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:17 pm

soj wrote:I don't live in NY, but I live decently close (long bus ride or short plane ride away), so I might be visiting in the next couple months. I didn't have time to tour the city or catch up with all my friends when I came for ASWs. We should hang out.

I got into H and S but Columbia gave me a lot of money so I might come to NY instead.
Yes, please. I hope either you come to NY and take Columbias $$$$$$ or I get into H and we end up hutning for rich men and shoes there. :D

bogm2012

New

Post by bogm2012 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:19 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
soj wrote:I don't live in NY, but I live decently close (long bus ride or short plane ride away), so I might be visiting in the next couple months. I didn't have time to tour the city or catch up with all my friends when I came for ASWs. We should hang out.

Yes, please. I hope either you come to NY and take Columbias $$$$$$ or I get into H and we end up hutning for rich men and shoes there. :D
On the one hand I want all 'mos to come to H (unless, pertinent to this thread, NYU hollas me some dollas), on the other hand I don't want to compete with soj, especially if he looks anything like his parade of avatars...

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:31 pm

TLSers who've met me IRL can attest to my resemblance to Matthew Rhys, Ben Cohen, Mo'Nique, and young Jack Nicholson.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:49 pm

soj wrote:TLSers who've met me IRL can attest to my resemblance to Matthew Rhys, Ben Cohen, Mo'Nique, and young Jack Nicholson.
The only resemblance I usually get is Xenia Onatopp, and I haven't even seen GoldenEye.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”